Sun Prairie Area School District Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
It is rewarding to work with students at all grade levels. It is also stessfull when there are not specific plans.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIJune 5, 2017
Sun Prairie Area School District, and all school districts that are known at this time, have no control of what assignments will become available. This is why the pay rate is very generous.
Pros
A variety of assignments which you can accept or decline on a daily basis to fit your needs.
Cons
Does not provide or pay for additonal training to work with special need students.
The district is growing exponentially because of its reputation. It is made up of enthusiastic and professional educators.
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIMarch 25, 2017
The Sun Prairie School District is a good place to work. They value their employees. The teachers and administration work together to provide an excellent education. I work with special-need students. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see these students progress.
The hard part is that there are inevitably difficult days, but that is to be expected.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
None, really
Great Cultural and Diverse Place
Substitute Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIMarch 3, 2017
work with students one on one
work with small groups
relieve teachers for breaks
work with special needs students

hardest part of job is when you have out of control students and there isn't anything you can do about it as a sub but try to keep rest of students and staff safe

most enjoyable part of job is watching the kids grow academically and socially and knowing that you played a part in that
Greatest job ever!
Instructional Assistant, Special Education (Former Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIJanuary 3, 2017
Working with Special Needs students is very rewarding. There is times that certain kids with negative behaviors can really suck the life out of you day in day out, year after year. Then it's time for a break and work else where in the district when an opening pops up! The staff understand your job and it's nice to work with them. I enjoyed the classes they offer so you can stay updated. As a mom it's amazing and oh so wonderful to see these kids grow- just as if they were one of your own!
Pros
The feeling of doing GOOD! Getting lots of hugs ! Greatest insurance coverage
Cons
Not getting a pay check all year long!
Very engaging place to work.
Special Education Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WISeptember 21, 2016
Everyday was challenging but rewarding. Working with kids, helping them learn new ideas and ways to think about things. Many learned to view the world differently while challenging themselves in my subjects they didn't understand how they connected to the real world. It was great to see their faces when the finally grasped new ideas or concepts that they had been struggling with. My co-workers were the best, open caring and very helpful, as all of our goals were to help educate the kids.
Pros
Great work environment.
Cons
Short breaks, pay.
A Nice School District
Substitute Educational Staff (Former Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIJune 19, 2015
In general, the students and faculty in SPASD were very enjoyable to work with. If substituting, you were always given a choice as to whether or not you wanted an assignment or not, and refusing one assignment did not take you out of the running for other assignments that same day. As usual for a substitute position, the hardest part was walking into a new classroom every day, but the other teachers and faculty usually tried their best to help if you needed it.
Pros
Fairly good compensation
Cons
No benefits for substitutes
Great student. Great teachers. Poor leadership.
Facilities & Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIJuly 6, 2013
If you are an individual focused only on the students, then the Sun Prairie Area School District is a wonderful employment opportunity.

If you are an individual who would be frustrated with poor administration leadership, lack of administration support, a great deal of finger pointing, then you may want to look at another school district.

With experience in several school districts, I found the students, teachers, and teacher assistants to be top-notch. In my opinion, the general administration is either overworked or does not know how to manage their time effectively. These issues lead to a clear divide between the educational staff and the school district's leadership.

For examples, search the internet for news stories regarding the SPASD. If you critically read the stories based on issues, you will easily be able to make the connections that I have stated above.

This review is only based on the experience from one former employee. Please do not solely use this review to make any employment decisions. Research...ask questions...and decide for yourself.
Pros
The majority of the educational staff are caring...hard working individuals.
Cons
Administration lacks the desire and ability to achieve student-focused achievements, Administration lacks strong leadership traits
I loved working and helping the students
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIJanuary 29, 2013
My typical day working with the students and teachers involved taking notes for the students while in the different classes. I also made up tests and proctored them. The best and most difficult parts of the job were the students. If the students I was following on any given day came in with a bad attitude or were having a bad day due to health problems, the day was going to be more difficult. I always had a hard time knowing they were hurting inside.
Christian school with two separate buildings.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIFebruary 24, 2012
I taught a combined classroom of first and second grades in a separate building for lower grade levels. I taught the regular curriculum plus all the art, music, and religion with curriculum I wrote. I had one 45 minute gym class break from my students per week as I did all the bus duties, lunch and ticket work, most of the recesses and parent communications. In the 5 years I was there I had three principals and two more that were interim principals.
Pros
great pay and great benefits.
Cons
i had to drive over 50 minutes a day, little ability to be in charge, little support for discipline and teacher work.