Sun Prairie Area School District Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
A Nice School District
Substitute Educational Staff (Former Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIJune 19, 2015
In general, the students and faculty in SPASD were very enjoyable to work with. If substituting, you were always given a choice as to whether or not you wanted an assignment or not, and refusing one assignment did not take you out of the running for other assignments that same day. As usual for a substitute position, the hardest part was walking into a new classroom every day, but the other teachers and faculty usually tried their best to help if you needed it.
Pros
Fairly good compensation
Cons
No benefits for substitutes
Christian school with two separate buildings.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIFebruary 24, 2012
I taught a combined classroom of first and second grades in a separate building for lower grade levels. I taught the regular curriculum plus all the art, music, and religion with curriculum I wrote. I had one 45 minute gym class break from my students per week as I did all the bus duties, lunch and ticket work, most of the recesses and parent communications. In the 5 years I was there I had three principals and two more that were interim principals.
Pros
great pay and great benefits.
Cons
i had to drive over 50 minutes a day, little ability to be in charge, little support for discipline and teacher work.
I loved working and helping the students
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIJanuary 29, 2013
My typical day working with the students and teachers involved taking notes for the students while in the different classes. I also made up tests and proctored them. The best and most difficult parts of the job were the students. If the students I was following on any given day came in with a bad attitude or were having a bad day due to health problems, the day was going to be more difficult. I always had a hard time knowing they were hurting inside.
Great student. Great teachers. Poor leadership.
Facilities & Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIJuly 6, 2013
If you are an individual focused only on the students, then the Sun Prairie Area School District is a wonderful employment opportunity.

If you are an individual who would be frustrated with poor administration leadership, lack of administration support, a great deal of finger pointing, then you may want to look at another school district.

With experience in several school districts, I found the students, teachers, and teacher assistants to be top-notch. In my opinion, the general administration is either overworked or does not know how to manage their time effectively. These issues lead to a clear divide between the educational staff and the school district's leadership.

For examples, search the internet for news stories regarding the SPASD. If you critically read the stories based on issues, you will easily be able to make the connections that I have stated above.

This review is only based on the experience from one former employee. Please do not solely use this review to make any employment decisions. Research...ask questions...and decide for yourself.
Pros
the majority of the educational staff are caring...hard working individuals.
Cons
administration lacks the desire and ability to achieve student-focused achievements, administration lacks strong leadership traits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Prairie Area School District. Our community is ready to answer.

Sun Prairie Area School District Reviews by Location