Suncoast Hospice Employee Reviews in United States

Very pleasant place to work.
payroll assistant (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 11, 2016
Fast paced environment, never got boring. Management was good at encouraging an atmosphere of emotionally healthy, team-work setting, and was patient in teaching new skills and tasks. The hardest part was learning continuously new upgraded systems, but even that kept it interesting!
Pros
I looked forward to going to work everyday.
Cons
Due to increasingly short staff, workload continued to increase.
Volunteering
Volunteer Position, Suncoast Hospice (Former Employee) –  Tarpon Springs, FLFebruary 26, 2016
It was fun to volunteer here. I made new friends and truly learned what it was like to work in cooperation with others. The management was very nice, as long as I remained respectful and fulfilled my duties.
Learned a great deal about life and death working for Hospice
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pinellas Park, FLAugust 8, 2015
Cannot say that this job paid the best but viewing the total picture I don't think that any other job could provide the kind of observations about one's own life and death which lead to the understanding of what really matters (our health) than with an organization such as this. If you're looking for life's meaning it is HERE!!! You will find it here. I am thankful that I was "hired" by this organization. I no longer work at Suncoast Hospice but I am grateful that I did serve there. Made me feel as though I really did something "great" with my life rather than just earn a big paycheck to go out and "spend" because that is not what life is really about. So if you're looking for learning more about yourself and your life then you will FIND it here!!
Try it that's all I can say.
Pros
Enlightenment
Cons
NONE
Lack of flexibity and autonomy
Front Office Liaison (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLSeptember 14, 2015
Organization has changed over the years and not in a good way.
High staff turnover, less opportunity for advancement
More focus on policies and procedures rather than patient care
Former nurse
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJune 14, 2015
Very disappointed in Hospice Flex department, low starting pay and when I asked about having an evaluation I was told they are not normally or routinely done, and most likely would not result in a pay increase!! Coworkers were nice and helpful, management contact that I had was very good.
Pros
Management was easily accessable, understanding
Cons
low starting pay, no raises
Patient care in and outside of the home
Remind and assist patient (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLSeptember 27, 2015
I enjoy working here, I have been with Hospice over five years and don't plan to leave anytime soon unless something better comes along.
Nice Place to work
ATS II (Former Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLJune 11, 2015
Data Entry, lots of reports to work on such as aging
Learned about Medicaid and Medicare plus more about accounting software. Co-workers were friendly. Hardest part was stress, and most enjoyable part was hearing about Hospice was helping the patient with end of life problems.
Cons
To much work because not enough employees
Great staff to work with.
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMay 11, 2015
Empath aka Suncoast Hospice is a great place to work and feel that you have a purpose, however work/life balance is always respected nor is the ability to move up in the company. Fun environment and management is easy to work with.
Great peers in the field however takes 12-14 hours and get paid to work only 8 hours.
RN (Former Employee) –  ClearwaterOctober 20, 2014
I have worked as Hospice nurse for almost 17 years. Unfortunately the culture has changed and current management does not care about its employees. the work itself is done by caring professionals who want to do a great job. the management is indifferent to the needs of it's nurses and Social workers. Many folks that worked my department have broken down with fatigue and have now left the company they were devoted too. I am one of those folks.
Pros
great professional folks in the field doing direct patient care.
Cons
no breaks, no lunch, routinely very long hours
Suncoast Hospice has been the Greatest Disappointment
RN (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FloridaNovember 17, 2014
Working for Hospice was the best career move when I started in 2005, I loved my job. When Mary died ,so did Hospice. All of the nurses ,social workers and hhas are very dedicated to providing excellent care and comfort to their pts and families. Management is extremely unprofessional, using intimidation/fear tactics to manage. It was not unusual to hear management talk openly about peers behind their backs . Work hours commonly ran from 12-14 hours/day ,plus nightly/weekend on call hours. compensation wages are poor, management's excuse was that "people don't come to Hospice for the pay, it's more of a spiritual reason that people are drawn to Hospice" It took me over a year to finally decide to leave Hospice , the high intensity of stress was just too much.
Pros
being able to care for and comfort pts and families at the end of their lives
Cons
too many hours, lack of family time, complete exhaustion
Comfortable place to work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FloridaJune 6, 2014
Fast paced environment managing incoming and outgoing calls, faxes and support requests.
Time management was a must along with detailed organizational skills, able to multitask.

Hardest part of the job was caring too much with regards to not being able to do what law did not allow, outside the realm of what our company could do. Made you want to be an independent advocate for the person since there was only so much I was able to assist with.
Pros
excelent time off benefits
Quite top heavy losing it's commitment to the community
Manager of Patient Family Care (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLApril 29, 2014
The culture has quickly become one of fear; despite hard working field staff, the management no longer shows respect for the employee and they feel quite dispensable and in fear of losing their job at any moment. There have been a rash of firings over the last year as the company downsizes and prides itself on having never laid off any employees.
Pros
the honor of assisting families at the end of life
Cons
working for a top heavy management with no regard to employee satisfaction
overall fun, and great people to work with
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLApril 29, 2014
My job was to sit in the back and help people carry in whatever they were donating. The co-workers were for the most part really nice and great to be around. The hardest part was when the store was about to close because that is when the most people would show up at the same time. I can't say anything about the management because I never got to work with them.
Pros
great envirement, flexable
Would not recommend this workplace
Hospice RN (Current Employee) –  St Petersburg, FloridaJanuary 27, 2014
I have enjoyed my coworkers and the patients I care for. My passion is hospice and caring for the terminally ill and their families. It takes a special kind of person to work in this field and I have found all my coworkers to be just that. Unfortunately there is no work/life balance at Suncoast Hospice and the pay is poor. Employees work minimally 60 hrs/week and get paid for 40 hrs/week. The focus has turned to numbers and productivity... not quality of care anymore. I am very saddened to have to leave this area of nursing that I love, but my health and family life have suffered because of the hours of work (and lack of pay) demanded by this employer.
Cons
a lot of hours put in...poor pay....no breaks
Caring, supportive organization caring for people with end of life issues or life limiting issues
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJuly 25, 2012
A typical day at work starts with checking e-mails and/or answering phone calls from staff and/or clients then trying to resolve any issues. Through the years that I worked there, I learned there is a group of people that really has concern for the people they serve without discrimination. Management is fair but often seemed to not have much concern for the people in the trenches. Co-workers are hardworking, dedicated troopers. The hardest part I would say is when a client calls in for help and resources are not available to help them. The most enjoyable part for me is resolving issues to the satisfaction of the client and the company.

Comment – April 10, 2013

HA! This organization treats its employees like dirt. There is no support. There are magnifying lenses focused on your every move, waiting for you to make a mistake so that they can justify paying you less money. If Hospice patients and families only had a clue how abused the staff is...perhaps the donations would dry up or the public would voice a united outcry.

I enjoy working with most all patients. I am given good support from IDT team and well education to do my job duties.
LPN Continous care (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLApril 2, 2013
If I lived central to the county I would be much happier to work there. As far as the actual work goes it is quite rewarding and they provide great support to their patients and employees.
Pros
work hard to keep their employees happy.
Cons
not much chance of getting on a day shift position and i live along way from some of my patients.
Poor work equipment and worse compensation
Team Leader/Chaplain (Current Employee) –  Clearwater,FLNovember 18, 2013
They expect you to work 80-90 hours a week on 40 hour a week compensation. They do not offer bonuses or salary increases. The management is subpar and the human resources department is disorganized and treats employees with disrespect.
current RN, flex team
part time RN (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMay 3, 2014
Unfortunately, when Mary Labyak died, so did hospice. Management no longer cares for their staff, only building a bigger patient base.
Pros
giving people quality of life at end of life.
Cons
management takes advantage of staff, especially with regard to work hours.
Patient Care Team Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLNovember 5, 2012
Hospice is like a family instead of a job. I go in every day to the most important aspect of my job.To help my patients and make their lives as easy as possible.
Pros
touching lives of our patients every day.
CNA/HHA (Former Employee) –  Pinellas Park, FLJuly 15, 2013
Helping those in need. Great staff. Learned life is bitter sweet. Hardest part ,well it's sometimes difficult to say good bye. Most enjoyable part is making patients comfortable and peaceful.
Pros
caring people