Suncoast Hospice

Suncoast Hospice Employee Reviews

Founder is turning in her grave...
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: meaningful patient/family experiences; great co-workers
Cons: terrible management
When I first started here in 2004, it was a wonderful place to work. Working for hospice is a calling & it is important, rewarding work regardless of your role. There was a lot of support for staff & constant reminders of your worth to the organization & it's cause. There was constant reminders about having a "hospice heart" & people cared about their co-workers like family, hugging one-another and celebrating milestones together.

Since the illness & ultimate death of the CEO & Founder, management has turned everything around to be all about productivity & revenue. Not that productivity & revenue aren't important, but staff are now often working 60 hour weeks, but only getting paid for 40, not taking lunch or breaks. Many of the people that I worked with for many years, including management were either let go or asked to resign. It is sadly not the agency it once was & patient care suffers because of it, even though field staff are dedicated individuals, because they are over-worked. Many times they have let people go or people quit & they have not replaced them, so other staff have an added workload. As for the 'hospice heart'... I was formally written up for hugging a co-worker that I was friends with for many years & hadn't seen in a long time because it was "unprofessional, unacceptable office behavior." Everybody walks on eggshells because they don't know if they're next to be let go.

The pros just don't outweigh the cons anymore.
Suncoast Hospice has been the Greatest Disappointment
RN (Former Employee), Clearwater, FloridaNovember 17, 2014
Pros: being able to care for and comfort pts and families at the end of their lives
Cons: too many hours, lack of family time, complete exhaustion
Working for Hospice was the best career move when I started in 2005, I loved my job. When Mary died ,so did Hospice. All of the nurses ,social workers and hhas are very dedicated to providing excellent care and comfort to their pts and families. Management is extremely unprofessional, using intimidation/fear tactics to manage. It was not unusual to hear management talk openly about peers behind their backs . Work hours commonly ran from 12-14 hours/day ,plus nightly/weekend on call hours. compensation wages are poor, management's excuse was that "people don't come to Hospice for the pay, it's more of a spiritual reason that people are drawn to Hospice" It took me over a year to finally decide to leave Hospice , the high intensity of stress was just too much.
Great peers in the field however takes 12-14 hours and get paid to work only 8 hours.
RN (Former Employee), ClearwaterOctober 20, 2014
Pros: great professional folks in the field doing direct patient care.
Cons: no breaks, no lunch, routinely very long hours
I have worked as Hospice nurse for almost 17 years. Unfortunately the culture has changed and current management does not care about its employees. the work itself is done by caring professionals who want to do a great job. the management is indifferent to the needs of it's nurses and Social workers. Many folks that worked my department have broken down with fatigue and have now left the company they were devoted too. I am one of those folks.
Comfortable place to work
Assistant (Former Employee), Clearwater, FloridaJune 6, 2014
Pros: excelent time off benefits
Fast paced environment managing incoming and outgoing calls, faxes and support requests.
Time management was a must along with detailed organizational skills, able to multitask.

Hardest part of the job was caring too much with regards to not being able to do what law did not allow, outside the realm of what our company could do. Made you want to be an independent advocate for the person since there was only so much I was able to assist with.
Poor Management
RN (Current Employee), ClearwaterMay 17, 2014
Very Top Heavy and poor management staff. No critical thinking skills, moves very slowly with process development and implementation.
Good Place to Work
Former Employee (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLMay 16, 2014
Pros: great staff!
Cons: understaffed
I loved my job! It was rewarding and enlightning! Hospice provides such a wonderful and necessary service to our community!
current RN, flex team
part time RN (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLMay 3, 2014
Pros: giving people quality of life at end of life.
Cons: management takes advantage of staff, especially with regard to work hours.
Unfortunately, when Mary Labyak died, so did hospice. Management no longer cares for their staff, only building a bigger patient base.
overall fun, and great people to work with
Volunteer (Former Employee), Palm Harbor, FLApril 29, 2014
Pros: great envirement, flexable
My job was to sit in the back and help people carry in whatever they were donating. The co-workers were for the most part really nice and great to be around. The hardest part was when the store was about to close because that is when the most people would show up at the same time. I can't say anything about the management because I never got to work with them.
Quite top heavy losing it's commitment to the community
Manager of Patient Family Care (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLApril 29, 2014
Pros: the honor of assisting families at the end of life
Cons: working for a top heavy management with no regard to employee satisfaction
The culture has quickly become one of fear; despite hard working field staff, the management no longer shows respect for the employee and they feel quite dispensable and in fear of losing their job at any moment. There have been a rash of firings over the last year as the company downsizes and prides itself on having never laid off any employees.
Successful implementation of elecronic health record
VP if IT (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLMarch 16, 2014
Support leadership, operational staff, and clinical staff with applications and technology to support the care of patients and families.
Suncoast Hospice
Hospice Chaplain (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLoridaFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: scheduling my clients myself.
Cons: gas is expensive to travel from client home to client home sometimes.
I LOVE my role as a hospice chaplain at Suncoast Hospice. Each day I have the opportunity to schedule my client visits, provide passionate care, knowing that my team is working on other areas of patient care. I am free to explore any spiritual distress or end of life issues our patients may have, and work to resolve them together, to enable a peaceful passing. I would be staying there if I were not moving to Massachusetts. I will miss my co workers and fellow chaplains. The management is extremely supportive and respectful in my role as a hospice chaplain. The hardest part of the job is getting patients to understand the chaplains role in assisting with quality of life at the end of life, vs. the grim reaper at the end of life. The most enjoyable part of my job? Bringing a person to a peaceful passing and supporting them and their families as the transition takes place, and the bereavement time following. It is truly a calling that one has to the hospice field, and it makes my soul feel good that I answered that calling.
Would not recommend this workplace
Hospice RN (Current Employee), St Petersburg, FloridaJanuary 27, 2014
Cons: a lot of hours put in...poor pay....no breaks
I have enjoyed my coworkers and the patients I care for. My passion is hospice and caring for the terminally ill and their families. It takes a special kind of person to work in this field and I have found all my coworkers to be just that. Unfortunately there is no work/life balance at Suncoast Hospice and the pay is poor. Employees work minimally 60 hrs/week and get paid for 40 hrs/week. The focus has turned to numbers and productivity... not quality of care anymore. I am very saddened to have to leave this area of nursing that I love, but my health and family life have suffered because of the hours of work (and lack of pay) demanded by this employer.
Poor work equipment and worse compensation
Team Leader/Chaplain (Current Employee), Clearwater,FLNovember 18, 2013
They expect you to work 80-90 hours a week on 40 hour a week compensation. They do not offer bonuses or salary increases. The management is subpar and the human resources department is disorganized and treats employees with disrespect.
Amazing People!!
Volunteer (Former Employee), FloridaOctober 22, 2013
I love it here! So welcoming and everyone is so sweet! Work times are flexible and they always worked around my schedule, it was fantastic
not the Hospice Heart felt work place that built years ago
Clinical Services Specialist (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: patients love the care they get
Cons: productivity is now the goal
Productivity is now the goal of the day not the care of the patient
CNA/HHA (Former Employee), Pinellas Park, FLJuly 15, 2013
Pros: caring people
Helping those in need. Great staff. Learned life is bitter sweet. Hardest part ,well it's sometimes difficult to say good bye. Most enjoyable part is making patients comfortable and peaceful.
Hospice Care uses all of life experiences and skills; and channels them into caring for others in countless ways.
Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Clearwater, FL Pinellas CountyJune 4, 2013
Pros: you can connect with, and make a difference in people's lives. travel throughout the local community. movement, not a stationary job.
Cons: lunch is eaten while driving, you are on the cell phone -a lot, documentation occurs in the home setting & extends to your own home setting, unpredictable on call hours.
8 AM: I receive a text to make a home visit ASAP to one of my Hospice Patients who lives alone & fell down (their medic alert system was set up to call Hospice). I assisted my elderly Pt to make a decision as to whether she wished to go back into the ER again for a full evaluation, or call her physician for follow-up. She had recently been in the hospital. I phoned local "lift assist", provided assessment to Pt and an update to her part time caregiver. I will follow her care, as well as the care of 12-14 other Patients on my caseload..... Then, on to scheduled visits for the day (4 others) that include interaction the Pt, their family, & other Hospice team members such as Pharmacist or Tech, SW/Counselor, Aide, Equipment Tech, Volunteers, Hospice Office Staff. Also, make requests to Dr's Office Staff for medications needed to control the Pt's symptoms of vomiting, pain, shortness of breath or alert them to other concerns. I enter Nursing assessment data, plan of care, & Pt and Family concerns into the computer, so that it is accessible to other members of Hospice providing care to the Patient/Family throughout the evening and night. I have learned to provide well thought out, collaborative care to Patients and Families, as well as teach families to provide care in the home setting. My co-workers work very hard providing the same type of care I do. I can count on them for advice in situations that need another perspective to handle. The hardest part of the job is for administration to see what is most important in the home care setting. It is incredibly hard work. The documentation often takes place on into the evening hours. I cannot say I love my job; but I do appreciate caring for people at the end of their lives. It is seeing their entire life - the WHOLE person -their spirit -their values -whatever makes them who they are as a being. That is amazing, and no words can describe it. It is an honor to be a part of their life, and the lives of their family members.
Fantastic Organization
Family Support (Former Employee), Palm Harbo, FLMay 5, 2013
My position with hospice was voluntary. I was able to work with many different people and the experience was really valuable to me.
I enjoy working with most all patients. I am given good support from IDT team and well education to do my job duties.
LPN Continous care (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLApril 2, 2013
Pros: work hard to keep their employees happy.
Cons: not much chance of getting on a day shift position and i live along way from some of my patients.
If I lived central to the county I would be much happier to work there. As far as the actual work goes it is quite rewarding and they provide great support to their patients and employees.
Patient Care Team Assistant (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLNovember 5, 2012
Pros: touching lives of our patients every day.
Hospice is like a family instead of a job. I go in every day to the most important aspect of my job.To help my patients and make their lives as easy as possible.