Suncoast Hospice Employee Reviews

Volunteer Life
Clearwater - Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 27, 2016
I am a volunteer and I absolutely adore that place. It's like one big family. And for people to work at hospice, everyone is automatically caring and kind people. Obviously, like every place in this world, there are bad seeds. But the good definitely overwhelms the bad. As a volunteer I can say that Hospice has really treated me well.
Pros
People, Parties, Meetings
Cons
Strict Dress Code
Hospice Nurses are a special breed. It is not for everyone. It was not for me.
Registered Nurse, Hospice (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLSeptember 6, 2016
I thought I would like working at Hospice but soon found out that it was not for me. I found it very depressing to watch people die. I cannot say anything bad about my experience at Hospice. It think they do a great service.
Pros
The people were very nice.
Cons
Was not for me. Depressing to watch people die.
A fun yet serious culture with many kind people
Teen Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJune 4, 2016
My position as a volunteer has opened my eyes to many different aspects of the world. I have met and worked with many kind people.
Volunteering
Volunteer Position, Suncoast Hospice (Former Employee) –  Tarpon Springs, FLFebruary 26, 2016
It was fun to volunteer here. I made new friends and truly learned what it was like to work in cooperation with others. The management was very nice, as long as I remained respectful and fulfilled my duties.
Adult and Pediatric pain and anxiety management (Former Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLJanuary 31, 2016
The woman I worked with at Hospice were concerned with the patients and their comfort. Going into patient homes and working closely with family and helping the family during an obviously stressful time. A typical day at work may start with a patient actually having distress and medication changes would need to be made, changes in patient position or atmosphere, holistic remedies to alleviate pain. The hardest thing about working this job would be the families when a loved one passes. The most enjoyable part of this job would be the woman who care for all the patient of hospice.
Pros
PTO
Cons
No holiday pay
Very pleasant place to work.
payroll assistant (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 11, 2016
Fast paced environment, never got boring. Management was good at encouraging an atmosphere of emotionally healthy, team-work setting, and was patient in teaching new skills and tasks. The hardest part was learning continuously new upgraded systems, but even that kept it interesting!
Pros
I looked forward to going to work everyday.
Cons
Due to increasingly short staff, workload continued to increase.
Patient care in and outside of the home
Remind and assist patient (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLSeptember 27, 2015
I enjoy working here, I have been with Hospice over five years and don't plan to leave anytime soon unless something better comes along.
Lack of flexibity and autonomy
Front Office Liaison (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLSeptember 14, 2015
Organization has changed over the years and not in a good way.
High staff turnover, less opportunity for advancement
More focus on policies and procedures rather than patient care
Learned a great deal about life and death working for Hospice
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pinellas Park, FLAugust 8, 2015
Cannot say that this job paid the best but viewing the total picture I don't think that any other job could provide the kind of observations about one's own life and death which lead to the understanding of what really matters (our health) than with an organization such as this. If you're looking for life's meaning it is HERE!!! You will find it here. I am thankful that I was "hired" by this organization. I no longer work at Suncoast Hospice but I am grateful that I did serve there. Made me feel as though I really did something "great" with my life rather than just earn a big paycheck to go out and "spend" because that is not what life is really about. So if you're looking for learning more about yourself and your life then you will FIND it here!!
Try it that's all I can say.
Pros
Enlightenment
Cons
NONE
Former nurse
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJune 14, 2015
Very disappointed in Hospice Flex department, low starting pay and when I asked about having an evaluation I was told they are not normally or routinely done, and most likely would not result in a pay increase!! Coworkers were nice and helpful, management contact that I had was very good.
Pros
Management was easily accessable, understanding
Cons
low starting pay, no raises
Nice Place to work
ATS II (Former Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLJune 11, 2015
Data Entry, lots of reports to work on such as aging
Learned about Medicaid and Medicare plus more about accounting software. Co-workers were friendly. Hardest part was stress, and most enjoyable part was hearing about Hospice was helping the patient with end of life problems.
Cons
To much work because not enough employees
Great staff to work with.
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMay 11, 2015
Empath aka Suncoast Hospice is a great place to work and feel that you have a purpose, however work/life balance is always respected nor is the ability to move up in the company. Fun environment and management is easy to work with.
Founder is turning in her grave...
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLFebruary 25, 2015
When I first started here in 2004, it was a wonderful place to work. Working for hospice is a calling & it is important, rewarding work regardless of your role. There was a lot of support for staff & constant reminders of your worth to the organization & it's cause. There was constant reminders about having a "hospice heart" & people cared about their co-workers like family, hugging one-another and celebrating milestones together.

Since the illness & ultimate death of the CEO & Founder, management has turned everything around to be all about productivity & revenue. Not that productivity & revenue aren't important, but staff are now often working 60 hour weeks, but only getting paid for 40, not taking lunch or breaks. Many of the people that I worked with for many years, including management were either let go or asked to resign. It is sadly not the agency it once was & patient care suffers because of it, even though field staff are dedicated individuals, because they are over-worked. Many times they have let people go or people quit & they have not replaced them, so other staff have an added workload. As for the 'hospice heart'... I was formally written up for hugging a co-worker that I was friends with for many years & hadn't seen in a long time because it was "unprofessional, unacceptable office behavior." Everybody walks on eggshells because they don't know if they're next to be let go.

The pros just don't outweigh the cons anymore.
Pros
Meaningful patient/family experiences; great co-workers
Cons
Terrible management
Suncoast Hospice has been the Greatest Disappointment
RN (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FloridaNovember 17, 2014
Working for Hospice was the best career move when I started in 2005, I loved my job. When Mary died ,so did Hospice. All of the nurses ,social workers and hhas are very dedicated to providing excellent care and comfort to their pts and families. Management is extremely unprofessional, using intimidation/fear tactics to manage. It was not unusual to hear management talk openly about peers behind their backs . Work hours commonly ran from 12-14 hours/day ,plus nightly/weekend on call hours. compensation wages are poor, management's excuse was that "people don't come to Hospice for the pay, it's more of a spiritual reason that people are drawn to Hospice" It took me over a year to finally decide to leave Hospice , the high intensity of stress was just too much.
Pros
Being able to care for and comfort pts and families at the end of their lives
Cons
Too many hours, lack of family time, complete exhaustion
Great peers in the field however takes 12-14 hours and get paid to work only 8 hours.
RN (Former Employee) –  ClearwaterOctober 20, 2014
I have worked as Hospice nurse for almost 17 years. Unfortunately the culture has changed and current management does not care about its employees. the work itself is done by caring professionals who want to do a great job. the management is indifferent to the needs of it's nurses and Social workers. Many folks that worked my department have broken down with fatigue and have now left the company they were devoted too. I am one of those folks.
Pros
great professional folks in the field doing direct patient care.
Cons
no breaks, no lunch, routinely very long hours
Comfortable place to work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FloridaJune 6, 2014
Fast paced environment managing incoming and outgoing calls, faxes and support requests.
Time management was a must along with detailed organizational skills, able to multitask.

Hardest part of the job was caring too much with regards to not being able to do what law did not allow, outside the realm of what our company could do. Made you want to be an independent advocate for the person since there was only so much I was able to assist with.
Pros
Excelent time off benefits
Poor Management
RN (Current Employee) –  ClearwaterMay 17, 2014
Very Top Heavy and poor management staff. No critical thinking skills, moves very slowly with process development and implementation.
Good Place to Work
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMay 16, 2014
I loved my job! It was rewarding and enlightning! Hospice provides such a wonderful and necessary service to our community!
Pros
Great staff!
Cons
Understaffed
current RN, flex team
part time RN (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMay 3, 2014
Unfortunately, when Mary Labyak died, so did hospice. Management no longer cares for their staff, only building a bigger patient base.
Pros
giving people quality of life at end of life.
Cons
Management takes advantage of staff, especially with regard to work hours.
overall fun, and great people to work with
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLApril 29, 2014
My job was to sit in the back and help people carry in whatever they were donating. The co-workers were for the most part really nice and great to be around. The hardest part was when the store was about to close because that is when the most people would show up at the same time. I can't say anything about the management because I never got to work with them.
Pros
great envirement, flexable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Suncoast Hospice. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9