SunCoke Energy Employee Reviews

good benefits,poor management
miner operator (Former Employee), Vansant, VAApril 24, 2015
I had very good co workers! the management was the most depressing people ive ever worked around! they wont even give us fair job reference when contacted!
Every day was the same, go in and do my job.
Underground Electrician/Mechanic (Former Employee), Jewell Valley, VAMarch 18, 2015
I had several duties and requirements to complete on a daily basis. I learned many mechanical and electrical skills each day. I had a good boss and good co-workers that I worked with and we all got along great. The hardest part of the job was working in the low coal and crawling through the area and all of the water. I enjoyed being able to have the knowledge to fix and repair the equipment and other things underground.
I had fun working here
Process Technology Intern (Former Employee), Energy, ILFebruary 4, 2015
It was one of the best places I have worked in. Perfect blend of field and desk job. The work culture is awesome and everyone is very nice and helpful.
Awesome compensation
Production Supervisor (Current Employee), East Chicago, INNovember 14, 2014
Pros: awesome pay, sixfigures easy with overtime!
Cons: no time for family!
Awesome experience. It's boot camp for a supervisor if you can make it here, it will prepare you for anywhere! The pay is really good but finding a balance with home life is a challenge. Overall, this place make you put on your big boy pants! Bottom line!!!
Work life balance needs adjustment
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Granite City, ILAugust 21, 2014
Growing company with high operational demands. Good compensation, but stresses and strains on associates causes issues with work-life balance.
Challenging stressful and high turnover
Buyer (Former Employee), East Chicago, INJanuary 3, 2014
Co-Workers are very nice, but the days are long and stressful. Employee turnover is very high. Growth is limited. There is plenty to learn if you have no exposure to the coal industry.
Terrible place to work
Electrical/Controls/Automation Engineer (Current Employee), At one of the plantsOctober 25, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: hazardous gases, dangerous extreame, open flames, explosions don't do it.
All the engineers at each plant are looking to leave. Managers have no idea of what to expect and are not willing to spend the money to fix the problems. Band-aide systems repair is the way of doing business. They claim to do job planning for maintenance, but lets say nothing is ever correct and jobs are done over and over. For engineers getting the crafts to work on your projects is nearly impossible. The union personnel run the plants not the managers, yet the managers beat on the Engineers and Supervisors and offer no support.
Top heavy company
Staff Accountant - Corporate Accounting (Former Employee), Lisle, ILOctober 6, 2013
Pros: get benefits that it
Cons: compensation is very low, you are expected to do more, more, more and no compensation comes with that more
Top heavy company who only promotes if they like you other wise you are stuck. Accounting team consist of a clique of people who all worked at previous companies together. You will not be offered a promotion or development unless you are liked of kiss but. If you are looking to work in Accounting Stay AWAY
It's a job
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee), Granite City, ILMarch 18, 2013
Pros: good pay, free benifits, company supplied tools
Cons: no respect for maintenance, company sometimes says one thing and does the other
Suncoke Energy is a good place to work if you have worked at some really horrible places before working there. On the chance that it is your first job, you'll most likely hate it. The company preaches safety safety safety until 1am and a machine is down and the company begins to bleed money and then it's just get it fixed and fixed NOW!! Most of the time, the company will get you anything you need to make your job better and safer and occasionally easier. I enjoy working there because I have worked at some real rat holes and this place treats me well, but then again I actually work when I'm there. Most of the people just show up and then go home 12 hours later and gripe the whole time about silly things. Some people try twice as hard to avoid the work than it would have taken to do that work.