Suncrest Hospice Employee Reviews

All the business, without the heart
Minion who matters not. replaceable. (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 30, 2016
For Profit. Period. Numbers driven. Period. See how long you last if you don't admit someone they send you to admit because they don't meet criteria. Managers only interact with staff at meetings and if there's a problem. They take complaint calls first and never even give a second to the responder. You have to wear brightly colored scrubs and they give you 2 sets for a 5 day work week. You can purchase additional at a discount. Does every meeting need to be mandatory? really? This is a military set up that is selling hospice like any other commodity and don't dying people deserve better? Not a better way to deliver care, just a faster and more uncaring way.
Pros
location
Cons
see above
Unprofessional Workplace
Interviewee (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CASeptember 27, 2016
After driving an hour in traffic for a scheduled interview, I waited 30 minutes before hearing from my interviewer. The nice receptionist texted her and then I was told it would be another 30. Needless to say, I left without the interview. An hour waiting for an interview was extremely unprofessional and easy to see their lack of respect toward employees and clients.
Pros
The receptionist was incredibly nice, friendly, and professional.
Cons
Waste of time.
Great Company with great Mission
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 27, 2016
Suncrest Hospice is a growing company that truly understands the values of taking care of patients and taking care of their staff. Caseloads are given to support the nurses and cna's and give a good balance. Dedicated on call staff to help with burn out and great care to the patients and families.
Accepting and comfortable work enviornment
CNA (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 29, 2016
Although there is some communication improvements needed Suncrest never made you feel like you didn't belong there. The team atmosphere is very pleasant. Routes and patient caseloads could be a little chaotic.
Upbeat professional culture, team focused.
RN Case Manager Hospice (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 3, 2016
I have been a nurse for many years and have never experienced such a positive work culture. There is a sincere commitment to doing the right thing for patients and families. This company will help you reach your full potential and excel at what you do. If you've been a nurse for any length of time, invariably you will meet a toxic person or find yourself in a toxic work environment. But with Suncrest the culture is upbeat, professional and team focused. However we all know that no work place is perfect. Orientation could be more structured and individualized. This has been recognized through feedback and being addressed. The mission statement is not some company line but rather effective in keeping us all focused on why and how we do our work. Don't fool yourself, hospice IS hard work. Documentation, driving and managing care always is when employed in hospice. But it seems less so with Suncrest as we support each other no matter what our role. If you want to join a growing company that supports your professional growth, where doing the best for patients and families is the goal, and work with fun people, then check it out. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Pros
Supportive, growing company, team focused.
Cons
Orientation going through improvements
Rewarding service and work/life balance
Spiritual Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 2, 2016
Working in hospice with the dying and their loved ones is not for everyone, so you will hear from disgruntled employees from time to time. However, those who truly feel called to bring their best in service to the terminally ill will tell you that Suncrest Hospice is exemplary among similar organizations. Here I have found both the support and the respect I need to do my best work, and I am teamed with excellent nurses, social workers, and CNAs whose professionalism, compassion, and teamwork are above par. I have worked for other hospices and hospitals where it was impossible to maintain a healthy work-life balance, but Suncrest Hospice has reasonable expectations with a manageable patient caseload, plus it allows for autonomy in the field. Here my voice is heard and my input respected. Creative problem-solving is welcomed, and positive collaboration is praised. Hospice chaplaincy is definitely challenging but also rewarding work, and Suncrest empowers us to be our best.
Pros
supportive and encouraging atmosphere
Excellent employer
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 29, 2016
Suncrest is a great place to work with a positive atmosphere and supportive management team. They have great benefits and competitive pay. It's a positive work environment that supports the staff on a professional and personal level. It's a great team to be a part of.
Great opportunities! Fantastic people!
CNA Department (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 29, 2016
I have found Suncrest Hospice to be an amazingly warm, welcoming company to work for. The benefits are the best that I've seen. I have worked for a few larger healthcare companies in the past and never had the opportunities like I have had at Suncrest. You are just 1 person in a large company in other places. At Suncrest, you are heard and have easy access to the administrator, DON or other management personnel whenever you need them. Suncrest has awesome staff appreciation events to include Summer and Winter parties and CNA field day!! Healthcare can have its challenges in any environment you work in; finding the right group of people to support you through those challenges is what matters. Suncrest is that place with the right group of people to support you through any challenges that come up!
Pros
Great benefits, supportive staff
Changing the hospice experience!
RN (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 29, 2016
A for-profit hospice who is extremely mission-driven. Founded on and growing with the patients and the employees in mind! More hands-on patient care than any other. A culture of light-heartedness and camaraderie among teammates, extremely supportive and receptive upper management. Hard-working, dedicated professionals caring for patients and their families in their time of greatest need.
Pros
a culture of support, teamwork, and dedication to exceptional care
warning
former employee (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 27, 2016
All of the positive reviews are written by upper management in an attempt to keep this organization's rating high in the eyes of the public. Do not work for this company, you will undoubtedly regret it! It's a very simple model; upper management gets paid very well, while field workers get overworked and underpaid, (a pyramid scheme of sorts). Just know this, if you are not upper management, you are easily replaceable in their eyes, (get ready to walk on glass).. Extremely high turn over rate!
Pros
Field workers and their commitment to quality care.
Cons
Management, salary/compensation, and unrealistic workload which has led to burnout and such an incredible turnover rate.
For profit model. Success contributed to loss of patient care.
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  DenverJanuary 26, 2016
The "foot soldiers" (i.e. RNs, Social Workers, CNAs, Chaplains) Are some of the most amazing people I work with. Unfortunately, it is run by a ceo and owners who mainly focus on company profit, with little regard for the wellbeing of its employees. Below average salaries. Huge caseloads. And, messages from on high: referral, referral, referral, while patient centered care falls to the wayside.
Pros
Autonomy. Flexible schedule. Co-workers.
Cons
For-Profit model, patient centered care non existent, CEO has little regard for the wellbeing of his employees.

Comment – August 8, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. We're sorry that you've had such an unpleasant experience with our company. We are glad, though, to hear that your co-workers are excelling at their work and supporting one another and benefiting the community.

While we do strive to make the workplace as meaningful and enjoyable as we can, we do know that, inevitably, certain facets of the company are not always managed or maintained as they should be, and we apologize if this was consistent with your experience.

If you're interested and have the time, we'd love to speak with you to hear your concerns and get some feedback. Please contact our corporate office in Salt Lake City and request to speak with HR's supervisor.

Growing company w/ professional development opportunities
Medical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 22, 2016
Suncrest growth = chance for YOU to grow. Growth at Suncrest has brought big challenges - ebb and flow of case loads, needing to change and train quickly. Management works to hire positive people and build supportive teams. Training happens regularly and I feel I can go to my co-workers and supervisor w/ concerns. Social workers get free supervision for clinical licensure and now even our CNAs have a ladder for professional development and mentoring.
Pros
professional development opportunities, positive coworkers, independent schedule
Cons
higher case loads during growth surges
RN case manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 21, 2016
Management takes time with employees, recognizes work/life balance and a good resource when I have questions. Everyone works as a team, has a positive attitude and focuses on patient care. Great communication.
Pros
Positive attitudes and good communication
Great environment and a team that really cares
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 19, 2016
Suncrest is a great company to work for! They understand the balance of work and family, and are always willing to work with you. The employees here really care about their patients, and management is personable and wants employees to succeed. Working with death day in and day out can be hard, but having a great team and lots of support make this job a great one.
Pros
Business hours, great employees and culture
A lot of heart, not a lot of pay
CNA (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 10, 2015
I have been a CNA with Suncrest for 1.5 years. I have been through thick and thin with the company. The company's focus is mostly about admissions- director sends out an email every month on how many admissions we as a company should reach. I think that's ok to a certain extent but it feels like the emphasis is quantity not quality. I have managers okaying 20 minute visits just to say we made the visit. That's not quality patient time. The pay is not very good either. I've been a CNA for almost a decade and don't even have a $15 base wage. Only $3 more an hour for working holidays not the standard time and a half like other places. It's a struggle to have low pay when you are driving your own vehicle to the ground for the job and live in a very high cost city. Meeting the expectations of patients, families, and facilities is a difficult game to juggle. CNAs are spread too thin and not compensated well which shows in the 80% turnover I've seen while working at Suncrest. I'm not saying it's all bad. The CNA managers are very kind and will give you support and kudos along the way. I just think the company needs to take better care of their CNAs financial end and be more about patient quality and not quantity.
Pros
full-time hours, ability to make a difference in your patients' lives
Cons
stingy holiday pay, spread too thin
Poor management
nurse (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 19, 2015
I thought this place was,it...I soon found out it was not...Overworked, underpaid....and poor management, don't waste your time on this place...

Comment – August 8, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns regarding our company. We're very sorry that you've had an unpleasant experience with us. We continually assert that our employees are our number one asset, so we're disheartened to hear that your experience is not consistent with that.

If you've got the time and are interested, we'd be more than happy to talk with you regarding your concerns. Please contact our corporate office in Salt Lake City and request to speak with HR's supervisor.

Able to essentially be your own boss and run your day.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 20, 2015
I learned a lot about another part of healthcare and end of life experiences. Each day you have a list of patients to visit for one hour each, and you can plan your day accordingly. This requires you to be efficient in your own ways, and be your own boss to be accountable to meet all requirements of the job. The hardest part is driving all day to different locations, and not working with your own team, but management is always reliable and able to be in touch with for any small problem. It is very rewarding to give direct patient care on a daily basis, but an emotional job,
Pros
Four day work-week
Cons
requires too much driving
Focused on everything except what is important.
RN (Former Employee) –  DenverFebruary 15, 2015
Many nice people at this hospice, but owners and management do not understand that what is important is not only good outcomes, but the time nurses and CNA's spend with patients. The staff is over extended, driving too many miles, and also too much turnover. This leads to patients who don't know their caregivers as well as they should. Also, lots of useless meetings.
Pros
Caring Hospice Team Members
Cons
Owners and Upper Management

Comment – August 8, 2016

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our team. We're sorry that you've had anything less than a positive experience with Suncrest.

If you're interested and have the time, we'd love to speak with you to discuss how we could make the position more enjoyable for current and future employees. Please contact our corporate office in Salt Lake City and request to speak with HR.

Again, we're sorry for your experience, and we'd love to hear from you.

too much work on a salary but some good people
nurse (Former Employee) –  colorado northJuly 9, 2014
good clinical people but way too many hours on a salary so no overtime and poor poor management! and 90 % turnover in the 2 years open for pts....thats not good!
Pros
some good nurses
Cons
too much turnover, too much overtime with no extra pay!!!

Comment – August 8, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to review our company. We're very sorry that you felt that your caseload was unmanageable. Our mission statement does assert that our employees are our number one asset, so we're sorry if that was not reflected in your experience with the company.

We're currently in the process of creating more accessible company-performance reviews, and we'd be more than happy to discuss any concerns or receive any feedback you might have for us that will enable us to improve our performance. Please contact our corporate office and request to speak with HR if you're interested in talking with us. Again, we're very sorry for your experience.

Great place to work!
Admin (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 23, 2014
I have worked in senior care for a few years and it is hard to find a place that really cares....THIS is it! Everyone that I work with really does care & wants to do their best for the clients & families. They have a lot of great perks, like fully employer-paid health insurance for the employee. The other costs for health care for family members are very reasonable & the plan is pretty good. They also buy lunch a lot and have some wonderful perks at the annual meetings- like $100 gift card to the Cherry Creek mall. I have kids and I have never been told that I cannot take time off to take care of them, be at a school function or shuffle them somewhere. Every work place has dysfunction. No place is perfect, but I think that if you speak up here, the management listen and want to be on the same page with you. Maybe there was poor management before I got here, but I don't think so now.
Pros
Great work-life balance
Cons
Looking for a bit more money

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Suncrest Hospice. Our community is ready to answer.