SunEdison Employee Reviews

Dynamic, Fast Paced and Challenging
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 12, 2017
I have enjoyed the ride at SunEdison, I would welcome and work for them again if given the opportunity. Being part of a divestiture has been both, educating and challenging but mostly rewarding for my career. It has brought a whole new perspective for me in the way of business operations.
Pros
Workplace Culture
Cons
MEMC was a great place to work
Infrastructure Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOJuly 11, 2017
MEMC ( sold to foreign controlled group which ran it into the ground) is gone now but it was a great place to work. Long hours and average pay. But good benefits and good people to work with.
Very independent
Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2017
Very independent work enviroment. You get to travel to solar farms and perform repairs, preventive maintenance, site resets and computer upgrades. The team of people is small but efficient and effective. Every day was an adventure.
Dont waste your time
Operator (Former Employee) –  SunedisonJuly 9, 2017
Management treat you like pheasants they don't care what you are going through they want to point you for being 2 minutes late and they always changing policies and not notify the employees and also hours are horrible
Pros
Days off
Cons
Working there
Fun place to work
Associate Fellow (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 30, 2017
Before bankruptcy, SunEdison was a really good place to work at. There was focus on research and there was freedom for R&D employees to do exciting research.
dangerous and poor management
Process Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXMay 31, 2017
could not take vacation days due to short staffing. Warned company of impending disaster, they let it happen, people were burned, HR was completely unresponsive to site needs. People rose to their level of incompetence. Flattery gets you much further than ability with this company. They are in chapter 11 due to gross mismanagement, cost a lot of folks everything.
Pros
Cons
overworked
Great company dismantled by Global Wafers
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOMay 15, 2017
I used to love working for SunEdison Semiconductor even when it was known as MEMC. It has always been stressful due to the ups and downs in the semiconductor industry. But the company always cared for their employees and compensated us well. Then, our company was purchased by Global Wafers based out of Taiwan. They let go of so many wonderful people and now the company culture is horrible as there is no true leadership and no defined plan for becoming one company. They cut salaries in Taiwan by 20% and only guaranteed our salaries and benefits for a year, so we fully expect to get the same type salary cut in the US for those of us that still even have jobs by the end of the year. I wish we had never been sold, but that is business.
Pros
Good compensation (for now)
Cons
Extremely short-staffed
Research and Development
R&D TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXMay 10, 2017
Overall great place to work, just could not keep up with the pricing of Polysilicon due to market/ trade pressure. The culture within Sunedison was enjoyable yet challenging within the R&D group.
Pros
Accomplished our goals set forth by the mangement
Cons
Market pressure
Management is always in fire fighting mode.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOMay 10, 2017
Management and engineers are running production from their desk instead of being on the front line with the operators where all the work is done! To many programs to maintain Lean, 5S, Culture training, that is basically what you should have been taught when you were a child. No account ability for anyone, nobody wants to hurt your feelings, no consequences for repeat offenders. Operator pay is to low for what is expected from the operators which is causing quality issues and job turnover.
Great place to work, but went bankrupt,
Operator (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXMay 3, 2017
I spent many years working for SunEdison. Unfortunately, the company went bankrupt, Overall, it was a great place to work. The management was great and the other employees were like family.
Pros
pays well
Cons
Went bankrupt
Sr. Manager (Former Employee) –  Belmont, CAApril 16, 2017
Company no longer existent -- Bankrupt. It was the largest Renewable company, but grew too quickly and investors and market did not agree with financials
Overexpansion
Wind Turbine Manager (Current Employee) –  Calumet, OKApril 15, 2017
Poor management, over expansion, poor accounting, questionable business practices, Bankrupt, no continuity among projects, poor handling of employee notification.
Pros
Bankrupt
Cons
Bankrupt
Excellent company to work for
Global Materials, Sr. Director of Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Peters, MIMarch 29, 2017
Leader in the Silicon Wafer manufacturing and provider of final Wafer products to semiconductor giants
Facilities accross, APAC,EMEA and NA
Learned to maintain and collaborated to make a profitable enterprise despite the challenges of almost closing down
Tough culture as we were operating to survive in the market place.
The enjoyable parts were the learnings acquired during this phase.
We consolidate facilities, improve process, increase yields, drove cost and took cost out of our products.
Management was great. We had a great leader taking us during this transition
Pros
Travel around to all site around the globe
Cons
Survival mode
Fun environment, flexible schedule, generous bonus
UTILITY FINANCIAL ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Belmont, CAMarch 21, 2017
Work Load: Could be challenging some times, and there is not much training provided. If you are a self starter, and enjoy an unstructured organization, this is for you.
Pros
Free food, drink, generous bonus, flexible
Cons
Not much training, guidance
it's different than what you've done
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 8, 2017
Which is not necessarily a bad thing!
the work is fast paced, the people by and large are fun and hard working and their is always something new to try.
the downside is there is always something new to try.
Talent drain with new management.
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  St. Peters, MOMarch 1, 2017
Human glue is used (meetings at all hours of the day) to make up for the lack of processes/systems on the business side.
Company was willing to bring in talent, but after being acquired by Global Wafers most of the talent is gone. New "management" is worse than horrible.
Pros
Salary, work from home.
Cons
Wor/Life balance. New management has absolutely no vision accept cost reduction.
Not a long term career company at this point.
Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Peters, MOJanuary 30, 2017
Eliminated over 500-700 jobs in St. Peters in the last 5 years. Last reduction was January 2017.
Company has moved away from global applications and more to plant specific agenda.
Cons
Moving production overseas. Eliminated corporate offices.
High tech industry using advanced techniques to improve the silicon industry
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOJanuary 16, 2017
SunEdison is a leading company in the silicon industry. The hours are long and the work is challenging. Since starting in 1992 I have been involved in a large number of changes as the company has grown and changed owners. We used a variety of methods to track the product quality. Each process is complicated and requires strict adherence to procedures. I loved being a supervisor most of all the jobs that I performed over the years. It allowed me to grow as a leader and develop my skills in dealing with very difficult situations and challenges. This position helped me mentor employees to become valuable and able to attain higher more technically skilled positions. Also I treated my direct reports as I myself would like to be treated. By treating them with respect and fairness.
Pros
Gives opportunities to grow and learn new skills
Cons
Process and toolsets still struggling to stabilize and become reliable
Good working environment but poor management
Associate Fellow of Crystal Technology (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 21, 2016
Good working environment but poor management
Good benefit and nice co-worker
Merged with Global wafer so poor job security
Low Morale
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belmont, CADecember 19, 2016
Too many rounds of lay-offs. Very low morale. Constant changes within Exec Team. Company has begun bankrupt proceedings. Do not work for this company.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Low morale

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SunEdison. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6