SunGard Employee Reviews in United States

Worst job of my 20 year career
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 10, 2015
Morale is very low. Management doesn't care or listen to any work issues. No set work instructions. You're always trying to hit a moving target. Management is horrible and actually rude to employees. I actually was witness to a screaming match between 2 managers that was heard all the way from the conference room to the staff floor. HR is useless if you have an issue. Backs management and does nothing to help. No chance for advancement. Most of the office personnel is from India.It's just a miserable place to work. Company reputation is so bad they've changed the name to FIS. Layoffs are almost quarterly.
Pros
Pay is ok, benefits are ok.
Cons
Miserable environment, management is horrible and uncooperative. Politics are rampant.
Love the flexability
System Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLMarch 29, 2016
If you need a job that's flexible around your home life, SunGard is the place to be. They offer great benefits compared to most although now that they're being bought out by FIS things might change. I've never worked somewhere that you can take 4 hours off whenever you need it. Sometimes this gets abused but they really don't care as long as you're happy.
Excellent company to work for; salary and benefits very competitive
Adm. Asst / Senior Client Support Rep (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 10, 2016
I would most likely still be employed with SunGard EB Systems if our Charlotte office had not been closed. I had the opportunity to relocate to FL, AL, PA, or CO but family obligations kept me in NC.
Pros
Benefits, excellent manager, knowledgable co-workers
Cons
There were no cons except the closing of our office to consolidate with another branch out-of-state
Great company
Regional Manager IT Delivery Services (Current Employee) –  Wayne, PAFebruary 15, 2016
SunGard was a great company to work for. Many highly talented individuals within their area of expertise. Good salary as well as benefits. The company understood the meaning of work/life balance
Use to be a greate place to work. No longer a great place.
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 10, 2016
Was a great place to work until they were sold to private buyers. Benefits were cut. Employee staffing was also cut. Job description changed.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Under staffed
Very laid back work environment
Data entry (Current Employee) –  Inverness, ALAugust 17, 2015
It is an excellent place to work, excellent management, great benefits package. The traffic on 280 is a drawback, and the pay is also a draw back. There are no hard parts to this job, the hours are flexible, the daily quotas are obtainable, the major con I would say is that the pay increases at a very slow rate. After almost 6 years of working with this company, I have only moved from 10.00 up to 12.34 I am a top performer as well, and have a lot more responsibilities that the majority of my coworkers. So this pay increase is higher than most have acquired in 6 + years.
Pros
Flexible hours, you start out with 3 weeks vacation
Cons
minimal pay increases, no cell phones in the office, clean room environment
Work/life balance with Entrepreneurial spirit.
Director Client Services (Former Employee) –  Jersey City NJSeptember 23, 2015
When I arrived at Sungard I was not planning on being there long. I ended up loving it so much I was there for almost 10 years. Management provided an exceptional work/life balance with Entrepreneurial spirit. However their doors are always open when advice or direction is needed.
Pros
Work life balance, great team members.
Cons
Compensation, Investment in product was lacking.
Ever changing management styles
Manager - Database Technology (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILSeptember 25, 2015
The company is always in a restructuring mood. Lot of Management changes. Positions are cut and changed. Salary increase and bonus structure is awful .
Very secure but not exciting
Product Specialist - Protegent Trading Compliance (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJAugust 13, 2015
Great, great benefits and PTO. Work from home. Work life balance. Many great things except raises and promotions. There are few.
Worst! Messy ,Sorry People
Back Office Support (Former Employee) –  Inverness, ALMay 11, 2016
Working Here started off good. But then came lies from management about promotion. the people they put in charge don't do anything all day but play on there cell phone,eat all day an complain about stupid stuff such as staplers in work, Sorry team leads they want the other workers to do there work. Pay suck!!!! keep up mess!! so call friends talk about each other behind there back. Management have there picks and chooses. bring in people off the street rather then hire in house they hire friends of friends sad how management work I would not even call that management because it's unfair and they don't care about the people that work there butt off. Fire people cause one of the managers/leads don't like them. not all departments some departments are awful.
Pros
Flex Time
Cons
Managment/ Leaders keep up so much mess
Great small company to start my career in computers
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJanuary 27, 2016
I started at this job and moved my way as far up in the small company that there was room to grow. I felt I had learned and gotten promoted as far as I could so I decided to look for new opportunities. I small company is great because you become very close with the people you work with but mobility has limitations.
Pros
Worked with nice people, learned a lot and travelled
Cons
upward mobility
Decent work-life balance. Able to work remotely when needed. If you apply yourself, there are a lot of opportunities for advancement.
Senior Director, Learning and Development (Current Employee) –  Wayne, PAApril 8, 2016
We are still going through the integration process with FIS but the transition has gone fairly well as compared to other acquisitions. The FIS culture seems similar to SunGard. Leadership team seems good and communications about changes have been transparent and informative.
Great people, Developer advancement limited
Lead Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 17, 2014
SunGard Consulting Services was a great place to start working. Everyone wants to help and is super friendly. Even though by its nature as a consulting group we don't see each other too often, when we do it is like a big family reunion.

As a developer it was often an uphill battle to get a good compensation. As opposed to someone on the sales side of things it was often hard to quantify the work that a developer puts in besides just time. Management understands this and has been working on it, but it still has some ways to go.

The projects were often fun and challenging. One client might be totally different than the next, and thats what kept things exciting.

Travel can vary from one employee to another. I was working locally for years and then was put onto a travel project and that can be a huge shift in work/life balance.
Pros
culture and people are great. interesting work.
Cons
working on a desireable project can depend more on timing rather than skill/merit
Not a fun place
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAJanuary 26, 2016
poor management, severe lack of communications structure, poor service management records. On top of a terrible place to commute to this place is not worth your time.
Worked remotely from main office
Technical Support / Installation Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJanuary 28, 2016
SunGard was an interesting place to work that gave me many opportunities to grow and expand my talents.
I handled installations of SunGard's Education software products. I did the entire process less the initial sale and collection of payments.
Upper management not engaged and overworks employees
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 8, 2014
I've worked for Sungard for over 14 years, primarily as a contract designer/programmer who was asked back to the company 5 times since 1991. I finally decided to go full time in a different department, and after several years, decided I had enough of the excessive work hours, poor work/life balance and out of touch management. I used to love working at SunGard, but the culture has changed with a revolving door of upper management and inconsistency in management styles, and with a lack of knowledge (and lack of desire to know) about the skillets and experience of staff members.

There was, however, a strong network of resources in the trenches, who got along well with lower management. The lower level management worked together well and were very supportive of each other and their team members, giving coaching, mentoring and commendation regularly.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long work hours, out of touch senior management, poor communication
Very good company with knowledgeable management
Lead C# Developer / Senior Smalltalk Programmer (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJApril 8, 2016
Very good co-workers , parties, no stress environment. Friendly management , lot of training sessions. Working with ancient technology
Pros
Bowling parties
Cons
Once a great place to work, now swallowed by by a corporate giant
QA Platform Certification (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 3, 2014
I enjoy my work. My direct supervisor and his manager are the best. And the people with whom I directly work are great people with high intellect and a passion for client satisfaction. But over the years the corporation that purchased us has gutted our staffing through dozens of layoffs, stifled our creativity by spiking new innovations, and has given a sense of insecurity and disloyalty.
Pros
soft drinks are only a quarter.
Cons
lousy pay raises (when they actually happen)
No comment here
Lead Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 25, 2016
A great company to work; I didn't stay here very long to have an opinion one way or another. The nice thing is that you work at the company's location you're assigned to and that was pretty cool.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
Shared Service Center- 601 Walnut- What a JOKE!!
Accountant (Former Employee) –  PhiladelphiaSeptember 27, 2012
I am happy current and former employees are coming here to warn potential candidates about the failures of the finance team in Philadelphia. I wouldn't recommend jobs in this office to my worst enemy. There is no work/life balance. Senior management says "lean is here to stay"..in other words "we don't care how many hours you have to work, we wont hire – more... the right amount of people to do the job". There are NO advancement opportunities.

This would be slightly bearable if salaries were good and raises were fair, but they aren't. You are going to see more jobs here because of the amount of people who are planning to get out. HR is utterly useless, because they don't do anything to address the reasons why people are leaving. If you can, wait for something better- because this office is a dead end. Good Luck.
Pros
too few to list here
Cons
health care costs rising yet again, investment toy for lbo, no advancement