Sungevity Employee Reviews

Worst work experience
Retail Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CAJanuary 10, 2018
Horrible executive team. Cutthroat and unethical executives. Employees live in the dark while they get paid substantially and know that the company’s health is very poor.
It was fun
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 27, 2017
I got to talk to new people all the time. It was fun and could not complane about the store that i was working in. There was always something to do..
It was a fun place to work because when I was there it was a start up so there were many young people.
Sr. Manager, Retail Marketing (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 27, 2017
I enjoyed working at Sungevity. I liked the energy and the teamwork. I went to my office everyday and planned my own day for the most part unless something came up and my boss needed me to work on something else. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things I learned about social media and how to use it. I also learned as much as possible about solar energy.
Pros
Great Pay, Great location. Fun, young environment. Special events with celebrities
Cons
No one, except coworkers in my department, knew what i did.
The Closed Abruptly and Filed for Bankruptcy
Solar Marketing Specialist - MA Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 21, 2017
They no longer exist. Solar Spectrum started after bankruptcy after not paying those let go (100's) our commissions, expenses, etc. They bought the brand. Don't trust them.
Pros
Renewable Energy
Cons
Brutal on your feet
Great company , great culture !
Technical Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 30, 2017
This company changed my life. Led by a visionary, this company trail blazed in the energy sector and made its make on the solar industry. I loved working there ,.
A great mission driven workplace
Solar Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 16, 2017
I had an excellent experience working at Sungevity for over a year. They paid me a competitive salary and had great benefits. The asset light model works as a facilitator to bring solar to residential roof tops. I will always be fond of the impact I know I had on powering America with sunshine.
Great Culture, Profitability Slipped away
Field Service Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 21, 2017
Sungevity was building a great culture, and really treated its employees great, but unfortunately too many non profit jobs went through the pipeline, and they filed for chapter 11. They have rebranded as Solar Spectrum.
Pros
Employee treatment. Free snacks. Monthly Dinner
Cons
Unclear management. Little communication between departments.
Once great, fell into the abyss
Senior II Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 11, 2017
A typical day at work included presentations via phone and clearslide to homeowners about how solar worked and the viability of it for their home. Detailed builds of proposed projects and cost/savings were reviewed with potential clients along with contracts. Ideal candidates would be closed within 7-14 days. Management was a bit overwhelmed by growth and communication to employees began to slip. Unfortunately the company went bankrupt in 2017. RIP Sungevity.
Great group of people.
Technical Services Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 7, 2017
A great group of people that were all focused on delivering as much solar power as possible. It was a fun environment until the last few week or two. Things didn't quite work out but I am proud of the work we did accomplish.
Company Just Filed for Chapter 11
Retail Energy Specialist (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 16, 2017
Great place to work for self-driven individuals. Very relaxed management however, when it came to quarterly earnings reports, depending on the companies performance, sales teams were affected without much notice.
Pros
Great pay, relaxed nature
Cons
job security is none.
Great Culture, ineffective leadership
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 11, 2017
What was an initially promising company was an $800M boondoggle. While it provided much growth and advancement for me, it was somewhat for naught. Questionable layoff practices impacted hundreds of employees by not providing any severance or our legally owed PTO that we had accrued. Luckily no one has to go to work for them given that they are now defunct.
They meant well but never had a clear vision
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 26, 2017
To be honest I still miss this company. I had a lot of good memories there.
The problem is that when you have a company that exists just to get more funding for itself the day to day becomes pointless. The late term vision was to go public and return investors money, but the company did not know how to put a useful product out consistantly.
Not software company
PMO Manager, Agile Coach, Scrum Master (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 16, 2017
Company has gone bankrupt. Software development not part of future commitment. The new company is more about selling solar that building a software platform
Pros
Great People
Cons
Company went bankrupt
Fun and exciting Job
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 16, 2017
Very fun work environment. I enjoyed the whole customer service and communications process. Quarterly rallies were always a learning experience and they were a joy to attend.
Pros
Paid Gas, Company Car, Room for growth
Cons
Fun place to work but no stability
IT Director (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 8, 2017
Sungevity had challenges but rewards as well. My manager was incredible and taught me how to navigate many challenges. The hardest part about working for Sungevity was the unknown financial status of the company. In the end the company went bankrupt.
Pros
Great work environment and being able to contribute to their success.
Cons
Unknown financial future and the fact that they went bankrupt in the end.
What a Mess
Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 25, 2017
Sungevity, or the company formerly known as Sungevity, is a toxic place. The executive team lead the organization on a bunch of lies. We were sold a bright future, when really the org was being driven into the ground.

Really quite sad.
Company is no longer operating
Senior Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  New JerseyApril 24, 2017
Company is now bankrupted -over marketed, and under sold.
No control over products, or installations. Paid too much attention to developing the platform, and no coherent plan to sell more solar.
Pros
great healthcare
Cons
Company is Bankruped
terrible
Solar Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Pitman, NJApril 13, 2017
alone a lot, and always expected to hit unrealistic sales goals, so I guess that's why they filed for chapter 11 and laid me and over 500 others off with no notice.
Company Run Like a Sinking Ship
Senior Solar Consultant (Former Employee) –  South JerseyApril 11, 2017
Transparency was their motto but they were far from transparent and out of nowhere laid off their entire sales force.
Management had no clue how to run a business
Pros
Decent salary
Not a bad place to work
Sr. QA Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 5, 2017
Management was fair, work/life balance was great! It was a great career move, teams were small and focused. Had work appreciation days and worked with many talented people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sungevity. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6