Sungevity Employee Reviews in United States

Great Culture, Long Hours
Solar Consultant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 21, 2016
This company is amazing, they treat their employees very well and the culture is ideal. Friendly intelligent colleagues and management. If you are a consultant your hours are very long, but that is made very clear and upfront by management when you get hired.
Benefits
Cons
Hours
Awesome Job! If your a people person! If you love spreading great news and a new way of life! Look no further! Sungevity is your Home!'
FT SMS (Current Employee) –  South Mid Atlantic Group!October 1, 2015
Where do I begin!

The experience has been AWESOME! Not only am I, able to help people save money for there home and family! I am part of the biggest reveloution of Solar Adoption for Energy! Since good old Ben Franklin introduced electricity, and that energy, also came from the Sky!

I started in Febuary, 2014! I was promoted to Full Time, July 2015, Sungevity increased my pay enormously to salary, paid for my health care, 100%, less the very low co-pay. Plus the bonus structure! We have 4 Quartely Rally's evry year! Talk about fun! They comp everything! It's almost too good to be true!! It's Not! I have experienced it!!

All I can say, if your ready for a change, and have that special spark!

Sungevity can/will! Change Your Life!
Pros
Expenses covered! Your Managers and Team leads on call!, with promt response always!
Cons
To be honest! I've never had a Con, :)
Entry level low pay long hours position
Solar Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 24, 2015
Drive to one of a half dozen Lowe's store locations, often an hour each way.
Set up a table by the entrance, login and set up iPad.
Speak to every person who passes by, unless engaged with a prospect, get them to stop, qualify them using proprietary methods and processes.
Pros
Solar is "right work". Good benefits, great industry, keen tech, decent customer satisfaction make my overall rating high.
Cons
Very long hours, work every weekend, low pay, especially in mature markets, lots of disrespect and rejection
"Sfun" place to be
SENIOR REMOTE SOLAR DESIGNER (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 12, 2015
The Sungevity offce is very lively, and honestly a pretty fun environment to work in. I enjoy my job currently but am looking to advance my career a little faster that what is possible at this time within Sungevity.
Pros
Excellent environment and co-workers
Cons
Salary, Advancement
Good work culture, management is ok.
Retail Solar Advisor (Former Employee) –  Newburgh, NYJanuary 21, 2016
Fun solar company to work for, good pay and benefits. Local managers are good but the regional managers can be a little offputting.
Lead Generation
Retail Solar Advisor (Former Employee) –  Wareham, MANovember 16, 2015
You stand at the entrace of Lowes and engage customers as they enter about solar. The job is straight forward and requires little to no experience. Tough part is standing on concrete/feet for 6 hours. They provide a iPad and table for work. After a few hours of training you are on your own.

Advancement: high turn job lets you climb to full time. Full time is doing more or the same, but sometimes coaching others.

Negatives: Standing on concrete all day. Retail hours with middle week off. Management spys on you by either calling the store or sneaking in from a side door to watch you. High pressure sales techniques to make you work. Team calls with team names that awful and requires a roar at the end. Full time employees get to travel to virgin stores and attain high numbers while locals work in heavily worked territories. This means commision is lower for people who can't go to virgin areas.

Free healthcare but with copays.
Pros
Rapid advancement due to high turn, iPad, health insurance
Cons
Standing on concrete for 6 to 8 hours. Managers spy on you.
Good company to work for.
Solar marketing specialist (Current Employee) –  South jerseyAugust 24, 2015
My typical day at work is working at the front of Lowes where the customers walk in and engage conversation and get them interested in solar energy. You have to work hard and be able to handle rejection. When you do get a lead it feels good knowing that you are helping people save money and saving the environment. Management is very helpful and all the coworkers are very nice. Pay is good and you can achieve bonuses.
Pros
Nice coworkers, room for promotion. Saving the environment.
Cons
You must have tough skin to handle rejection.
Challenging work environment with shifting executive direction
Operations Effectiveness Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 6, 2015
Sungevity has high aspirations for growth in the emerging solar industry and maintains an incredibly transparent environment with business information. It is a fun work environment where employees are constantly challenged to do something better than they did the day before.

Sungevity is attempting to differentiate itself as a software platform, but does not have the resources to implement all of the programs and projects that required to achieve this designation. Time management, prioritization and business case development are skills that are valuable here.
Pros
free breakfast, snacks, swag
Cons
uncertainty, negative politics
Solar Sales
Technical Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 6, 2016
Hit the numbers or else! Ohh and forget about a work life balance at all. They will use you, and when you are used up, they will dismiss you. Pretty cut and dry. No wiggle room, no acknowledgements, no mobility once inside. If you want to be valued and respected at your next job, it isn't here!
Pros
I'm not there anymore
Cons
Call center, no mobility, high turnover
Sungevity and Solar
Solar Consultant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 30, 2016
Working for Sungevity was awesome until they laid off over 350 employees two months ago. I learned a tremendous amount about sales, along with the solar industry. I was upset that the company continued to hire people and have them relocate for positions only to be let go shortly after.
Pros
Great training working with California leads.
Cons
Next to no training working with leads outside CA and inconsistant lead distribution.
Highly challenging work environment with a lot of positive support from coworkers and management.
Solar Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Middletown, DEFebruary 10, 2016
While the structure of the work day was always the same, the customer interactions were always different, which made the job both more challenging and more enjoyable. I learned how to think quickly and adapt to different challenges. Customer tolerance of my position and the duties associated with it varied greatly, so it was my responsibility to always conduct myself professionally and represent the company to the best of my ability. Even when leads were hard to come by and negativity started to creep in, I had to shake it off and remain positive. On most occasions, I was by myself in the stores. Yet there were a few instances in which I was partnered with a fellow coworker. Event though many viewed this as a negative, as it cut in to our lead and sales numbers, I found this to be the most enjoyable part of the job. I loved meeting my coworkers and working as a team to meet and even surpass our daily quotas.
Pros
Ability to work independently and develop my own unique method of engagement and lead generation.
Cons
Overstaffing to the point where the company had to move all Delaware employees out of state.
Best Solar Company to work for!
Northeast Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 15, 2015
I absolutely LOVE working with Sungevity.

I have had three separate roles since coming on board with Sungevity in October 2014: Retail Solar Advisor; Sourcing Specialist, and Talent Acquisition Specialist.

Every day is new and exciting. I love talking solar with people every day, knowing that I am part of something far larger than myself. I really enjoy talking with like-minded people who want to be a part of something huge and do their part to help the environment.

Although I work remotely, I am far from alone. I work with an unbelievably talented team that supports and challenges me in every way.

Sungevity as a whole is nothing short of an amazing company. They are a Certified "B" Corporation, Diamond Certified with the Better Business Bureau, have a net promoter score equivalence to Apple & Amazon, are partnered with other "green" organizations such as the Sierra Club, NPCA, and Defenders of Wildlife as well as Lowe's Home Improvement, Plugshare, and so many others.

I look forward to going to my office every day and helping to share the sunshine with Sungevity!
great company with amazing people to work with
SFS team lead (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYMarch 4, 2016
A typical day at work was fun and upbeat
management was amazing at working to help develop us
the hardest part of the job is the day to day rejection from door to door marketing
Wonderful company and industry
Solar Energy Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bay Shore, NYJanuary 8, 2015
At Sungevity, a typical day involves greeting Lowe's customers and educating them about solar energy for their homes.

Here, I've learned how to use my outgoing and friendly personality along with persistence to generate leads. In addition, I've educated myself on solar energy by attending quarterly meetings and seminars.

My co-workers are team players. Sungevity generates and promotes team spirit through daily emails of encouragement and team competitions.

The most enjoyable part of this job is speaking to people and spreading the word on the benefits of solar energy both environmentally and financially.

The most difficult part is the competition with other solar companies. As solar becomes popular, numerous companies are popping up and branching out to this region.

Sungevity is a wonderful company to work for.
Couldn't ask for a better work environment.
Lowes Solar Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MADecember 21, 2015
Great company, company policy is progressive, great job at picking management.

Pay was very fair, working conditions were good.
Pros
Health Care
Cons
Holiday hours.
Tread with Caution
Solar Consultant (Former Employee) –  MidweatOctober 20, 2015
The grass is not greener on the other side. This company lures you in with stock options and guaranteed pay for the first 4 months. If you like living in a call center this is your bag. They provide a google like work environment but are quick to FedEx your termination if they not longer want your services.
Pros
Booze, Free Food (They are making you work weekends)
Cons
No consistancy, (they have a draft party for new employess), in the right territory you have a better chance in making the money promised, Specifically West Coast, SRECS States, Not On-Bill, Run away if you land on an On-Bill team
n/a
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 8, 2015
Sungevity does there best to take care of there employees through compensation and employee morale through various incentives.
Pros
Compensation
great culture!
project manager (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 23, 2015
great culture, good people, management and leadership struggles, they try too many things which leads to scattered vision
I Was A Drone
Retail Solar Adviser, Full-Time (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 21, 2015
Standing at the door of Lowes, pitching solar at everyone walking by. Getting ignored by the vast majority of people, this is the short story of a energy level "lead gatherer" with Sungevity. After only a few months the goal transitions from getting quality leads to just getting enough leads in order to not get fired. It seemed like a great idea, getting a company car, benefits and a salary with solar energy. Then you realize your pay checks barely cover the cost of rent and your college loans, and you wonder why the position required a college education in the first place. Anyone comfortable talking to strangers can do this job. In fact, a less educated "meat head" type, that's good at picking up women in public would be perfect for this job.

This job pays under 15 an hour to start, but counting for time spent driving to the different store locations- some of my co-workers were earning less than 12 dollars an hour , when including driving time. Bonuses get nailed by taxes. My best monthly bonus was around 1,100 for a month with 4 sales and 50 qualified leads, then 40% got yanked because that income is taxed at a higher "sales bonus tax rate."

It was the easiest job I've ever had, pulled in leads every day, and landed 14 sales from over the winter of 2013. The problem is, I had to talk to five thousand people passionately to make that happen. I literally had to fight for the leads at times, overcoming objection after objection. Giving someone a free quote might be easy when attending a Green Energy Fair in the summer. Try getting leads for solar energy in New
  more... England during the winter, standing at the front door of Lowes with 2" of ice encapsulating the parking lot.. And, when your commission is only $65 on a sale, it doesn't take long for whatever passion to brought to the table as "an environmental enthusiast," to wear off. The RSA/ solar adviser/ lead gatherer (whatever they are calling the position now) is very easy to do, difficult to master and offers little compensation for a job well done. The corporate office, co workers, and CEO are all awesome.

I'm sure other positions with the company are great. The Lowes front door lead gather is not one of them.
Pros
Company Car
Cons
Low Commission, No weekends off, Unpaid travel time
Great company
Field Engagement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 13, 2015
Sungevity is a good company to work for and is growing rapidly. If I had to offer advice: be ready for change as it happens frequently. They have an amazing corporate culture.