SunOpta Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible
Maintenence Manager (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NVMay 20, 2016
Upper management don't understand production. If you try to explain production problems to them, you are marked a trouble maker. Looking forward to the day they close doors and leave carson city.
Pros
Cons
Dont trust them
Challenging/rewarding
CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER/LOGISTICS/SALES (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAApril 6, 2016
Typical work day would be multiple projects due with a staff to support. I enjoyed being challenged. It brought out the best in me.
I learned to be a better leader which I enjoyed. In addition, enjoyed working/collaborating with other team members.
Pros
Managed an excellent team.
Cons
Vacation/PTO time was decreased to those that served 10+ years.
good learning inviroment
bleach process tech/ maintenance (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 5, 2016
fast paced, some time long hours, good challenge, and a great learning job. learned electrical and motor trouble shooting skills. every one had a job, but came together to fix problems. I took control of pre-maintenance program. They sent me to classes to learn electrical repair.
Pros
learned industrial maintenance
Cons
lower pay
Company is Average
Quality Control Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAApril 11, 2015
I learned alot from working at SunOpta but I'm looking for a company that will allow me to advance. I love all my coworkers but I'm looking for another company that will allow me to grow and advance.
Would not recommend
Employee (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAApril 1, 2015
I would not recommend working for this company. There are a lot of office politics and heavy favoritism which means that even if you have a strong work ethic and do your job successfully, it will likely go unnoticed. There is very little room for advancement with little to no work-life balance. The management team is unprofessional (e.g. publicly reprimanding employees), manipulative (e.g. withholding opportunities from certain employees) and expects exceptionally long working hours (It is expected that work will be done on nights/weekends and 8am-6pm is average working hours). There was nearly no employee appreciation and morale was very low among employees. In the short time that I worked with this company, the atmosphere went from bad to worse and there was a lot of turnover (~2 employees/month). Workloads have continued to increase given the large amount of turnover and expectations are unrealistically high (especially if you care to maintain any sort of work-life balance). It has become exceptionally strict, micro-managed, and unpleasant (e.g. music is not permitted, and breaks are timed even for exempt employees). Though the compensation/benefits were decent, they are not worth the invidious and strict work environment.
Great Organic focused company
Plant Manager (Current Employee) –  Carson City, NVFebruary 11, 2015
There is a very cohesive team in the facility.Coworkers were very committed to success. Great work ethic on the shop floor.
poor to no planning. production over safety
equipment setup maintenance (Former Employee) –  Omak waDecember 12, 2014
The worst place I have ever worked.
Food and worker safety came second to production.
Started as 40 hours a week ended never knowing one week to next how many hours or what days.
Alway running out of materials.
Used expired ingredients often due to poor planning.
Pros
not many, heavy turnover of employees
Cons
inconsistent work schedules and pay
would not recommend this facility to family or friends
Line worker (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaNovember 6, 2014
I had seen too many people lose their jobs, working at this place. They loved to work people to death......and I had seen other people who worked there, get severely punished for simple mistakes that people make on a regular basis........favoritism had been a big issue in the short time I was there; mandated overtime on short notice was another problem. I don't wish that job, or place on anyone!!
Cons
poor management practices; no organization at all; slave labor
great atmosphere
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNMay 16, 2014
a typical day was go in review what had been done oh shift before and continue were they left off
Good and fun place to work
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crookston, MNMarch 28, 2014
Was temporary job as a fill in. managed inventory and worked closely with customer.
Work fast place
WORK STAFFING (Former Employee) –  Artesia, CAJune 26, 2013
Every day wearing cap for heads and gloves uniform
I learn the every time u eat we have to wash our hands
I got a lot of friends there
Manager was not that cool cause he want it at his way not that easy way
Working with frozen fruit with gloves
Changing a lot of plastic gloves every 5 minutes
Pros
short break
Good Job
MIxer (Former Employee) –  Carson City NvMay 29, 2013
Drove the forklift all day to carry heavy barrels such as Corn Syrup and pour it in into a big barrel weighing up 1200 lb. to mix other ingredients. Co-workers were great but most didn't know how to speak english but i understood them because i am bilingual.
Fast paced envoriment with potential to learn a lot
Infrastructure Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 12, 2013
After working with the infrastructure group with SunOpta for nearly seven years, I have been exposed to a vast array of learning experiences. The infrastructure team is very lean, and that leads to the opportunity to gain lots of hands on experience combined with on-the-job training. The position that I am in has also allowed me to have quite a bit of travel, including five trips to Europe. The lean aspect of our department can also lead to the need to work many long hours which can make a work/personal life balance rather difficult.

I have had the pleasure of working with some of the best managers of my career in this position which, at times, can make the long hours seem worth it.
Pros
telecommuting, travel, paid cell phone, exposure to fun gadgets
Cons
difficult for advancment, pay does not reflect amount of work
Productive and fun the learn about all the products.
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, MNAugust 31, 2012
A day at work was never the same but that is what I liked. I learned how work in a business setting and learned new skills. My co-workers were easy to get along with and very helpful if I had questions. The hardest part was talking to my boss. The fun part was doing different tasks and my co-workers.
SunOpta allowed me to learn the process of a manufacturing business.
Receiving Clerk/Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omak, WAMay 18, 2012
A typical day at work would start around 7:00 a.m. with receiving trucks and or gathering the previous days production report. Analyzing and imputing production reports for 2 to 3 hours. At the completion of the data entry, running a variance report then attending a daily management meeting to review the numbers. The remainder of the day would be use for cycle counting and comparing inventory numbers from a computer generated inventory report.
Pros
being a part of a start-up business, working with and training people, seeing a new product come off the line, seeing a profit from the operation
Cons
being in a business where the processes, procedures are in constant development.