SunOpta Employee Reviews

Sunopta
QA Supervisor / interim QA Manager (Former Employee) –  Buena Park, CAJune 18, 2017
We work passionately to achieve our goals, leaving no job unfinished. We bring our actions to closure and deliver on our commitments without yielding.

We're able and willing to adjust ourselves readily to changing conditions and requirements. We're able to look at problems from different perspectives, listen to and accept different ideas, and find solutions to new challenges.

We involve our partners in decision making and problem solving, and believe in active participation on teams. We have the courage to voice concern and propose constructive solutions in a positive manner to ensure the best outcome in any situation.
Constant Change
Manager (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNMay 5, 2017
It is difficult to review SunOpta because the leadership, processes, and priorities keep changing. If you have a high tolerance for change, you will be fine.
Too much of a management culture of compliance and enforcement
Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, MNFebruary 25, 2017
Good organization to work with. Typical day working with the people on the factory floor to learn the processes, people and conduct a long term assessment and assemble an annual plan for Continuous Improvement.

Learned many new processes and a totally different manufacturing environment than I was accustomed to.

Management was very fair to myself (a fellow manager) but there seems to be a large wall between management and the people on the floor.

Little acceptance by other managers to improve processes and help the people and organization grow. Very much the feeling of "if it was not invented here, it cannot work"

The people on the factory floor.
Pros
Freed to do as I saw what was needed
Cons
Barrier between management and the floor
Great Culture
Primary customer service contact (Former Employee) –  Hope, MNFebruary 1, 2017
Great place to work. Flexible with your life and personal schedule. You get out what you put in. Great bosses who care about you.
Pros
Overtime Pay is great.
Cons
Long hours in busy times. Ex: Spring, Fall.
Great culture and place to work...
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJanuary 30, 2017
I enjoyed the people I work with across the board, all functions. They are in a great space in the food industry, e.g. all natural, organic, etc. and have a fantastic global footprint.
Productive and fun work
Palletizer (Former Employee) –  Kuhnsville, PADecember 3, 2016
Sunopta was such a great work environment for me
And I feel like I gained a lot of experience there
My co-workers were great the hardest part of the job was getting laid off
Pros
Free food on certain occasions
Cons
Not enough space in the break room
Great pay, Mangment sub-par
Warehouse Lead (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, MNSeptember 15, 2016
One of the best places to work for the money. If you work hard there are chances for advancements. One of the biggest let down is management is subpar. They love yes men.
Pros
great pay and benifets
Cons
very poor mangement
unsafe place to work !
Boiler Operator (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJuly 31, 2016
I would not recommend working for this company. There are a lot of office politics and heavy favoritism which means that even if you have a strong work ethic and do your job successfully, it will likely go unnoticed. There is very little room for advancement with little to no work-life balance. The management team is unprofessional (e.g. publicly reprimanding employees), manipulative (e.g. withholding opportunities from certain employees) and expects exceptionally long working hours (It is expected that work will be done on nights/weekends and 6am-6pm is average working hours). There was nearly no employee appreciation and morale was very low among employees. In the time that I worked with this company, the atmosphere went from bad to worse and there was a lot of turnover (~2 employees/month). Workloads have continued to increase given the large amount of turnover and expectations are unrealistically high (especially if you care to maintain any sort of work-life balance). It has become exceptionally strict, micro-managed, and unpleasant , and breaks are timed even for exempt employees). Though the compensation/benefits were decent, they are not worth the invidious and strict work environment.The worst place I have ever worked.
Food and worker safety came second to production.
Cons
poor management practices; Bad Safety practices !
Horrible
Maintenence Manager (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NVMay 20, 2016
Upper management don't understand production. If you try to explain production problems to them, you are marked a trouble maker. Looking forward to the day they close doors and leave carson city.
Pros
Cons
Dont trust them
Looking for a fun hardworking environment where time flies
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAApril 14, 2016
I'm no longer working for my last employer "Sunopta", but I can say I really loved my job. Due to plant closure there was not enough work to keep me.

It was a great company, great pay and the work was interesting.

I will miss working for Sunopta.
Challenging/rewarding
CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER/LOGISTICS/SALES (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAApril 6, 2016
Typical work day would be multiple projects due with a staff to support. I enjoyed being challenged. It brought out the best in me.
I learned to be a better leader which I enjoyed. In addition, enjoyed working/collaborating with other team members.
Pros
Managed an excellent team.
Cons
Vacation/PTO time was decreased to those that served 10+ years.
good learning inviroment
bleach process tech/ maintenance (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 5, 2016
fast paced, some time long hours, good challenge, and a great learning job. learned electrical and motor trouble shooting skills. every one had a job, but came together to fix problems. I took control of pre-maintenance program. They sent me to classes to learn electrical repair.
Pros
learned industrial maintenance
Cons
lower pay
Company is Average
Quality Control Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAApril 11, 2015
I learned alot from working at SunOpta but I'm looking for a company that will allow me to advance. I love all my coworkers but I'm looking for another company that will allow me to grow and advance.
Would not recommend
Employee (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAApril 1, 2015
I would not recommend working for this company. There are a lot of office politics and heavy favoritism which means that even if you have a strong work ethic and do your job successfully, it will likely go unnoticed. There is very little room for advancement with little to no work-life balance. The management team is unprofessional (e.g. publicly reprimanding employees), manipulative (e.g. withholding opportunities from certain employees) and expects exceptionally long working hours (It is expected that work will be done on nights/weekends and 8am-6pm is average working hours). There was nearly no employee appreciation and morale was very low among employees. In the short time that I worked with this company, the atmosphere went from bad to worse and there was a lot of turnover (~2 employees/month). Workloads have continued to increase given the large amount of turnover and expectations are unrealistically high (especially if you care to maintain any sort of work-life balance). It has become exceptionally strict, micro-managed, and unpleasant (e.g. music is not permitted, and breaks are timed even for exempt employees). Though the compensation/benefits were decent, they are not worth the invidious and strict work environment.
Great Organic focused company
Plant Manager (Current Employee) –  Carson City, NVFebruary 11, 2015
There is a very cohesive team in the facility.Coworkers were very committed to success. Great work ethic on the shop floor.
poor to no planning. production over safety
equipment setup maintenance (Former Employee) –  Omak waDecember 12, 2014
The worst place I have ever worked.
Food and worker safety came second to production.
Started as 40 hours a week ended never knowing one week to next how many hours or what days.
Alway running out of materials.
Used expired ingredients often due to poor planning.
Pros
not many, heavy turnover of employees
Cons
inconsistent work schedules and pay
would not recommend this facility to family or friends
Line worker (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaNovember 6, 2014
I had seen too many people lose their jobs, working at this place. They loved to work people to death......and I had seen other people who worked there, get severely punished for simple mistakes that people make on a regular basis........favoritism had been a big issue in the short time I was there; mandated overtime on short notice was another problem. I don't wish that job, or place on anyone!!
Pros
Cons
poor management practices; no organization at all; slave labor
great atmosphere
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MNMay 16, 2014
a typical day was go in review what had been done oh shift before and continue were they left off
Good and fun place to work
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crookston, MNMarch 28, 2014
Was temporary job as a fill in. managed inventory and worked closely with customer.
Work fast place
WORK STAFFING (Former Employee) –  Artesia, CAJune 26, 2013
Every day wearing cap for heads and gloves uniform
I learn the every time u eat we have to wash our hands
I got a lot of friends there
Manager was not that cool cause he want it at his way not that easy way
Working with frozen fruit with gloves
Changing a lot of plastic gloves every 5 minutes
Pros
Short break
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SunOpta. Our community is ready to answer.