SunPower Employee Reviews in United States

Good place to work with good benefits and solid people.
PV Technician/ Plant Operations (Current Employee) –  Gustine, CAJuly 29, 2016
Typical day could range from completing scheduled maintenance to corrective maintenance on generating equipment and supporting systems. The hardest part of this job is coming to terms with inefficiencies that could be corrected but outside ideas are disregarded or not taken in to consideration. I enjoy an open minded environment that encourages new ideas and open discussions. Overall it is enjoyable workplace and all of the coworkers create a strong team. the most enjoyable part of my position is knowing that my work is part of something bigger, where I can take comfort in the fact that creating clean energy can help provide a cleaner environment for future generations.
Pros
Health care, PTO, bonuses, salary
Great company to work for
EPC Project Manager (Current Employee) –  EgyptJuly 28, 2016
i enjoyed the team spirit, and they are open to teach you easily their long experience in the solar as you became one of the team .
Very friendly and supportive co-workers and management .
Teamwork
R&D Technician (Former Employee) –  51 Rio Robles San Jose CA 95134June 23, 2016
We work together as one,our group has team work and helping each other if one needs help on something. We're meticulous about detials nor data.
Pros
Good co-worker
Cons
Stress
Overall a stressful place to work.
Group Leader Module R&D and Reliability (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 16, 2016
Work life balance does not exist. I worked 75 hours/week. Too many red tapes to go through, to get things done. I've lost a lot of my suppliers due to miss payments and it's a typical behavior.
Pros
Innovative
Cons
Too many Red Tapes and Work Life Balance does not exist.
Great company to work for
IT CRM (SFDC) Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 15, 2016
Great company to work for.. Good team members. Company is growing and processes are being set into place now to adjust to the growth. Work-life balance is poor, but the pay is good.
Pros
Good team members
Cons
Not much of a work-life balance
Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CAMarch 11, 2016
Being a newer company there were a lot of opportunities to build the safety culture from the ground up. It had it's challenges but overall it was a place to work and learn.
Pros
Good people to work with at SunPower
Cons
Heavy work load continually.
A small grown company in transition after being aquired by a larger company.
Machinist - Lead (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHAugust 6, 2015
A small company that grew and flourished in it's market. Now apart of a much larger corporation. The facility is in transition from being a Govt. Contract / R&D - to a company that manufactures the product it's famous for.
Pros
Clean and controlled work enviroment.
Cons
No means in place to increase earning potential.
Remote construction site. Tough work but very productive and fulfilling
Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Yerington, NVJune 22, 2015
Nice company great and committed workers.
I thoroughly enjoy working at SunPower! Responsible workers although the rigors of the day is endless.
High employee turn over rate and no real product management at the top.
Release Manager/Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, CAJune 8, 2015
At the end of the day the company cares about money not family. If your job can be outsourced you need to move on. But the executives get million dollar pay checks every year. HR's primary responsibility is to enforce this culture.
God place to work with great people
Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHJanuary 27, 2014
During most days I found myself doing a multitude of things such as testing, fixing CAD drawings, working with technicians, on occasion I would run FEA software. I learned a lot there being my first job. The management there was great they were all easy to get along with pretty much everyone that worked there we're great. I found many of them to have shared interest. The hardest part about the job was working with the government, because of that we had to do a lot of waiting on decisions. The most enjoyable part was the time I spent in the lab.
Pros
the people
Cons
hard to advance yourself.
Leading Solar Pioneer
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAAugust 26, 2013
Entrepreneurial spirit within the company, constantly innovating, strong leadership, great and talented staff, and stands by its products.
Pros
cool working environment, great people to work with, culture of innovation, and strong executive leadership.
Cons
always innovating, need experienced epc types at appropriate levels within the company, and sales / ops challenges
installing insulation was hard work but fun been up in some ones attic
field technicdian (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 18, 2013
Hated working in the winter,others mseasonal was great but winter.
Efficient in enhancing the talents and good work balance and environment.
Research Development & Deployment Device Engineer (Current Employee) –  PhilippinesSeptember 10, 2012
Everyday is a learning experience. Efficiently communicating, experiment planning, execution, and updates are part of the project perceptions and key milestone deliverable. I have learned to communicate to different kinds of people, bearing always the end goal in mind. The management people have their focus and they are also well skilled in terms of people and technical management aspects. My teammates are then very well in delivering our goals and have shared their learning and expertise as we deliver our goal. For me, the hardest part of the job happens during unexpected scenarios happened at a tight deliverable schedule, in which pressures cannot dominate with execution. This opportunity leads to success and efficient productivity of the people. With these, I enjoy being with great people and mentors, who are very young that they always welcome learning and seniors as they collaborate and execute. Kudos to my Sunpower family!
Pros
benefits and collaborators
Cons
opportunities with barriers and blockages
Good product, but suffering from some growing pains
Middle Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CAMarch 31, 2012
SunPower is a solar energy firm that does everything from developing high efficiency solar cells to production of panels and installation on large commercial and utility-scale sites. (Residential and small commercial installation jobs are spun off to SunPower-trained local installers.)

The company's central focus is R&D, which is likely to keep it competitive into the future. Although its cost-per-watt is high, the high-efficiency cells enable users to get the maximum amount of energy out of a limited area, so it is advantageous when roof or ground area is limited vis-a-vis the energy needs of the site. SP also claims that its panels are tested more rigorously than others.

Its project design division and its procurement division still have some growing-up to do. The QC process in design is not well established, leading to frequent changes/corrections during construction, which more established design organizations would have caught before releasing the designs. Delivery of materials is often problematic, and last minute rush deliveries of some items is not uncommon. Its system for paying contractors is very bureaucratic and slow (as of late 2011).
Pros
it is likely to survive as a company, since (a) it is owned mostly by the energy giant, total (of france) which has deep pockets and, (b) because it is always developing new products, and techniques to stay ahead, of the innovation curve.
Cons
(in addition to those noted below):, many of the positions are thru a temp agency, (typically aerotek) so job security is low., several functions are centralized in their calif, offices so a lot must be done by conference calls, and email rather than face-to-face.