Sunrise Senior Living Employee Reviews in United States

Hard times with Management
Lead Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Westminster, COMarch 23, 2016
Working at Sunrise Senior Living, I love all of my residents. They are awesome, they appreciate the Care Managers, they tell us thank you for all of our hard work. I personally hear more praise from my residents than I do my bosses. I work overnights, which can be difficult, we are a smaller staff with the same amount of residents as the other shifts. My bosses are supposed to come in once a week for a partial overnight shift to see how we work and to ensure we have everything we need. Hardly ever does that happen, or do they come and talk to all team members, Overnight shift, if one of us needs to call in, even with a doctors note, we still get in trouble. With the snow being as bad as it is, they warned us that if the next shift cannot make it in, we have to stay, which is fine, but if you are the one calling in, you basically lose your job. The only time, I truly hear from my bosses is when I am in trouble. I work my butt off, working 9-10hr shifts since the next shift needs assistance and there is very little appreciation. I stay for my residents, not for my superiors.
Pros
Residents
Cons
No appreciation from management
Overall great benefits and okay pay rate.
Supervisor, Activities Assistant, Med Manager (Current Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNFebruary 6, 2016
I have worked for this company for a little over 3 years and everyday I look forward to getting to spend quality time with the Residents that I care for. The benefits that they offer you are great and affordable. I will say that it is on the difficult side to advance in the company once you have reached a certain point but overall a great company to work for.
Pros
benefits and flexable schedueling
Cons
Slow advancement
Sunrise Corp. undermines the ability of their highly educated, skilled, and experience employees
Healthcare Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 4, 2016
Enjoyed working with Senior Citizens in aiding for their health and wellness being. The management made the minorities feel very uncomfortable and unease. they undermined and overlook the skills and abilities of minority employees even though some of the minority employees were highly qualified then management.
Pros
Enjoyed working with senior citizens.
Cons
No advancements for minorities with higher education and qualifications.
Fun Workplace
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Peres, MOMarch 29, 2016
A typical day at Sunrise was always a very busy day. It was never a dull moment at Sunrise. I learned alot of different things you learned something new everyday. We had new residents moving in all the time and we had to learn them (their likes / dislikes) , Management tried their best to make sure things ran smooth and everyone answered all the call lights in a timely manner. My coworkers always help each other we always worked as a team. The hardest part of the job was trying to answer all the call lights in a timely manner, and the most enjoyable was just being able to successfully help a person out that was in need.
Pros
Management Showing Appreciation To The Care Managers
Cons
Incidents
Beautiful Building, Wonderful Residents, Good Team!
Resident Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 16, 2016
I loved working with the Team and the Residents. The experience gained from Sunrise is priceless I was able to apply it to my personal life when my Mother was diagnosed with Parkinson's and Dementia. I loved speaking with the families of our Residents and helping them work through the challenges of the needs of their loved one. The hardest part of the job was not having enough time in one day to complete expectations. Management was very family oriented when I first started with the company up until 2013 and then new management and new owners came. Change is good but can be challenging. The best part of the job is that when you go home you know that you have helped many people and that is the greatest reward.
Pros
Job experience, training, Networking
Cons
Work load
Horrible place to work
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 2, 2016
Sunrise in Richmond, Va. Is the worst place to work. Management is horrible.They ignore important issues reported by sraff.They are totally clueless about everything. In facility. Staff turnover is horrible. Cant keep employees because management has no respect for them what so ever.Employees do whatever they want to do with no consequences from management even when management is told about another employee doing something wrong. Corporate contacted about pour management at this facity. I would never put any of my family members in a Sunrise facility after seeing what happens at this one.
Pros
Residents are great
Cons
Management very poor.
A bottle of crazy on the Russian roulette merry-go-round
Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 16, 2016
Working here can be very rewarding in working with the elderly and the team members, but the understaffed aspect makes the job harder than it has to be. Too many projected activities with no real organization or manpower to fulfill it.

The co-workers who do show up and on time make the time move quickly in a fun way with all the jokes and personal stories. Also, team members are very helpful in completing tasks that are to difficult for one person to carry out and assisting with residents when you get busy yourself.

The upper management in other departments are very helpful and kind when I ask for help or curious about the proper protocol. The lead's attitude is like playing Russian roulette, never know when that "bullet" is going to come for you.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to bond with the residents and getting to learn their histories or just joking with them about silly things. Sarcasm and old age is the best mixture!
Pros
Helpful team members, fun atmosphere, resident dog, accommodating work schedule
Cons
Understaffed
Wellness Nurse (Current Employee) –  Arlington, MANovember 5, 2015
Healthy, family oriented environment with support for staff and room for advancement. Diverse and accepting of non-traditional lifestyles and identities. Support for education both financially and personally. Worst part is that it is a big, for profit company, which means a tight budget limited staff, and extra paperwork. The best part is that staff, including management, for the most part are here because we care about people and want to help make lives better.
Pros
rewards for hard work and positive attitude
Cons
short staffed often
Wonderful for workers and residents.
Medication Aide/Caregiver/ Third Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 4, 2015
A typical day at word includes getting up and showering residents that are scheduled for it that day. This is just one example of following the care plan. My managers were great and would even get on the floor and help us if we had any call outs I learned how to use all types of lifts such as a hoyer and sit to stand. Transferring wieight using sliding boards or gait belts. My most ejoyable part of that job was my residents and taking them to activities and watching them participate. The hardest part of the job was post mortem care.
Pros
Great management and schedule
Cons
Their benefits package
Horrible corporation, dont work here!
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 26, 2016
Unfair wages, being worked to death, un fit management. Upper management will do anything to keep beds full even if it means admitting people who NEED and deserve higher levels of care. Will hire anyone! Turn over rate is insane and it's always under staffed. Seriously the most difficult job I've had, if you want to do a good job you will run yourself ragged. Do not work there. Plus there is apparently hr people whose job it is to make sure sunrise keeps a good reputation, so who knows if anyone will even see this!
Pros
Residents
Cons
Low pay, no respect, inadequate care for residents
Has changed a lot within 2 years
Lead Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COJuly 15, 2016
A typical day at work can be very enjoyable for myself and for my residents, doing personal care for them and doing stimulating activities with them is something I always look forward to. I've learned a lot from this company that this is not a way that end of life should be, at first I thought it was because this is what they teach you, but over the months i notice it is a company that is more worried about money then the care of there residents and there daily needs and wants. Working here has changed my life and has made me grow as a person and has me furthering my career doing this line of work, it just has shown me what they really need and want they really want as individuals and what they deserve.
Pros
One on one time
Cons
Management, Corporate
Love working with the Seniors
Internship (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 15, 2016
My day started with the hydration cart making sure the seniors received their water and cranberry juice. I also did exercises with the seniors as well as polishing their nails, arts and crafts and taking them out to lunch. I learned that we all will become a senior citizen one day and you should always treat them with tender loving care because that's how you would want to be treated. My supervisor is an awesome woman. She is very attentive the senior needs and she is very loving and supportive. The hard part is when a senior dies. The most enjoyable part is conversating with the clients and polishing their nails.
Pros
Watching the clients light up at getting their nails polished and doing arts and crafts.
Cons
Losing a senior
Great place to work...if you get the right facility
Maintenance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rocky River, OHJuly 30, 2015
Sunrise Senior Living is a great company to work for....provided you get a facility with a good executive director. The only problem is if you need health benefits, Sunrise has the highest insurance costs I have ever seen. If you enjoy working with the elderly and especially interacting with them socially, it's a great place to work. They encourage interaction with residents to give the facility a more "homelike" feel. However, if you have a bad ED...forget it. The ED can make your job miserable.
Pros
decent pay, clean facilities, opportunity for advancement
Cons
expensive benefit package, management not consistent from home to home
Friendly and secure environment with wonderful residents.
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJune 16, 2016
Very busy place with scheduled activities for residents throughout the day. I learnt that the elderly are an active part of the community and have a lot to give in terms of skills and experiences. The management status during my time at Sunrise Senior Living was average and my co-workers made a good team. The hardest part of my job was losing awesome residents to death after developing strong bonds with them. What I enjoyed most was the part where I get to spend valuable time with the elderly and listen to their stories of lifetime achievements, both professionally and family wise.
Pros
Good team work.
Cons
Too many residents assigned to one caregiver with very little time to give adequate care.
Fast paced, hard work, non-stop. You live and beathe this job.
Activities And Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAJanuary 9, 2016
Working at Sunrise Senior Living is a life experience. One that is eye opening and will change your heart and the way you look at the life of the senior population forever.
The hardest part of the job is losing a wonderful resident. This happens often and is a big part of the job. You care for them until their final days.
Keeping them happy is the teams most important goal. Finding the right team, lifting that team up and keeping them all encouraged is one of the biggest challenges with the management.
Budget cuts on residents food/activities/outings and all around care was disturbing with knowing how much they were all charged to live there. Their rent goes up every year, my budget went down every year. They became family, so it was had to swallow.
It was great, then it was time to go. I gave Sunrise 9 years of my heart.
Pros
health care was good
Cons
charging employees for meals when throwing out tons of food!
Excellent Place to Work and Grow
Health Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAMay 30, 2016
In a very long career as a nurse, my time spent working at Sunrise Senior Living was by far the best of my career. It was a challenging and very rewarding position. Days can be long and sometimes hard, but in the end well worth the effort. Working with an Executive Director who was open minded and who cared deeply for both the residents and her team made this job such a great experience. The core management team of this community truly lived the Sunrise mission. The hardest part of this job was leaving unexpectedly due to an illness. The best part of this job was the being able to provide exceptional care in a warm and loving environment.
Pros
Great benefits, education and room for advancement
Cons
None.
Used to be a rewarding job, but recently made to look like liars once family moves in and care promised is not delivered.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 7, 2016
Management does not value their employees, very low morale among all employees and all department heads; high turn over rate with staff and residents.

The problem began when new management forgot the Sunrise mission or maybe never bothered to learn it and turned all its attention on sales.
Pros
Getting to know residents and their families, and knowing the difference you're making during their admission process.
Cons
All your hard work is unappreciated, no growth, no raise, no bonus. Several morale and ethical violations.
Fun and enjoable place to work.
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILApril 20, 2016
I LOVED this job. The staff was so friendly and welcoming. The pay was great for me being a college student living on my own. A typical day at work was pretty smooth and organized (depending on what shift you work) I worked the AM shift. You go in get your residents up, help those who need help bathing or showering and getting dressed and take them down to the dining room for breakfast followed by an activity for the residents to engage with one another. The non mobile residents would be brought up a breakfast tray or would complete activities of their choice in their rooms. The hardest part of the job was getting attached to residents and see them getting sick and passing away. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting spending time with the residents and listening to their life stories.
Pros
Free lunches, lots of overtime available
Cons
Pleasant place to work, I left to further my education.
Medication Aide (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJuly 5, 2016
There was constant movement of patients and staff. I learned how to treat elderly people with compassion and treat them as I will want to be treated.
Management was kind of distant, and did not give adequate direction.
Most of co-workers were nice, and when I became supervisor I did well.
The hardest part of the job was when patients passed away.
Frequently, we would laugh and sing around holidays and all would have fun.
Pros
On my floor there was great teamwork.
Cons
When staff would come in late, and speak a different language in front of patients.
Understaffed and overworked for little pay
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lafayette Hill, PAJuly 27, 2016
When working at sunrise you can expect to be a little overworked. In a general prospective there are not enough people on working staff to accommodate the amount of assigned residents. There are only 2 types of categories, dementia and personal care. The floor where the residents with dementia is completely understaffed with only 4 resident aides and over 25 residents all solely relying on them. Team effort is extremely important however it is rarely practiced. Management is unprofessional and unorganized.

Sunrise Senior Living Reviews by Location