Sunrise Senior Living

Sunrise Senior Living Employer Reviews

Everyday was a new experience
Care Manager (Former Employee), Crystal Lake, ILJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: great co-workers and management
Cons: short breaks
A typical day was something new with my Alzheimer's residents.I learned that no matter what state of mind you are in, you still need to be loved and cared about. Especially Alzheimer's residents. Management was great right along with my co-workers. The hardest part was trying to get my residents to understand that they are living now, is their home now, and the most enjoyable part of the job was when they would laugh at something they did or I did. The joy of seeing them laughed just filled my heart with joy.
Very rewarding job!!!
Sunrise at Bluemont Park-Executive Director (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJanuary 12, 2015
There is no typical day....always challenging, rewarding and fun.
fun work place
caregiver (Former Employee), tucson azJanuary 11, 2015
great people but my typical day of work is getting everyone ready for breakfast then doing some activities with the residents. then getting ready to set up for lunch then I will put the resident down for a nap also take them to restrooms
work enviroment
Sunrise Senior Assisted Living (Former Employee), Owings millsJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: location
Cons: location
only worked temporary never got a real feel for place. it was a nice looking place though.
False Promises, Toxic Environment
Non-Salaried Employee (Former Employee), Golden Valley, MNJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: the residents.
Cons: poor pay, horrible management, corporate greed, terrible communication, no reward for hard work, politics, unfair hiring/promotion practices, poor benefits
I would never recommend this employer to anyone - nor would I want a loved one to live here.
All communities in the Twin Cities are poorly run and short on staff. Staff is not properly trained and the expectations of the roles are constantly changing according to who the Executive Director of the day is. (Plus mixed messages handed down by corporate.)
Turnover is ridiculously high - even among management.
If you want to advance, know that they don't care about your actual skills, experience, education or ability to do the job. All they care is whether you have the Sunrise "look" and have bought in to their cult-like culture. To advance, you must be white, have a fake tan, bleached teeth and a "better than thou attitude." All others? Get made false promises.
This company used to have good principles. Now it's all about corporate greed. Those they hire who have good hearts, they'll work to the bone until they burn out and quit. Corporate and management (plus gossip and cliques) make the environment toxic and unbearable. There is no room for advancement despite all the promises they'll make to you about it. They're making the same promises to your co-workers.
You'll end up working close to minimum wage for years, never getting a solid raise because they delay performance evals and then short you on what raise you've earned. Once they've decided they don't want you or you are making too much for the role you're in? They will do everything in their power to drive you out, regardless of how good you are at your job.
Caring environment.
Reminiscence Care Manager/Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Metairie, LAJanuary 7, 2015
Assisted residents with Alzheimer’s/dementia. Focused firmly on the individuals and providing a safe, familiar, yet stimulating environment. Assisted with cleaning & personal hygiene, checked vitals, and valued each senior and recognized the different tastes, preferences and needs at each stage of their lives.

The most enjoyable part was making the residents feel good about themselves, and the team work from co workers.
i love working as a care giver
care manager (Former Employee), playa vista CaJanuary 6, 2015
while providing care and companionship, I learned that every resident/patient is different not one patient needs the exact same care. The hardest part of the job was losing a resident/patient rather they passed away or moved away the bond is different with each resident/patient
Horrible work place
Lead Medication Technician (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJanuary 5, 2015
The worst place I have ever worked. There is no job security. The management staff is very rude and unorganized.
Working for the elderly
Care Manager (Former Employee), West Hills, CAJanuary 5, 2015
As care manager I was responsible for assisting residents, who suffered with
dementia and/or Alzheimer’s, with daily living tasks such as getting dressed, eating,
doctor's appointments and more. I was appointed Vice President of the safety
committee. Along with assisting residents I had to document any changes or incidents
that occurred during my shift.
productive
care manager (Current Employee), malvern paJanuary 5, 2015
friendly work environment. coworker were good to get along with. management was open and friendly. hardest part of job...there was no hard part.
Avoid this community look elsewhere
Care-giver (Former Employee), Severna Park MarylandDecember 30, 2014
Pros: relationships with residents and families
Cons: hard to advance very far, coordinators really don't care about plight of care-givers...
The reward of working with the residents is amazing!
Pay horrible, the disparity between "higher ups" and care-givers is honestly criminal. Management at least at community level is non-supportive and unrealistic.
Honest Living
Maintenance Assistant (Current Employee), Cresskill, NJDecember 30, 2014
It's a decent job. It can very demanding at time but there are slow periods when you'd be bored with not much to do. The pay isn't the best but it could be a lot worse.
great place to work
Care Giver (Former Employee), PADecember 23, 2014
Proficient in Microsoft Applications (Word, Excel, Photoshop, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
Excellent detailed data entry skills
Able to type 35 words per minute
Excellent book-keeping and organization skills
Beautiful community in great area of country
Activities and Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee), Falls Church, VADecember 22, 2014
Pros: great location... dc area! great trip opportunities for residents.
Cons: not many
I adored this community of Sunrise Senior Living and was quickly promoted to a larger Sunrise Community in the area.
The staff was fabulous and positive and of course our house dog... Thompson... was the sweetest! We had some fabulous family members as well who were very supportive of my activity endeavors and my creativity!
Run for your life!!!!
Care Manager (Former Employee), Cary NcDecember 21, 2014
Cons: everything
The worst place too work. The Executive Director and the coordinators were horrible. Talk to employees like dogs and they wanted care managers to mistreat residents. I wouldn't send my worst enemies here to work!!!!!
Productive day
Caregiver manager (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXDecember 19, 2014
Pros: had fun with the residents
Cons: n/a
Made sure patients room where clean, if any fun activities where going on made sure the residents made it to the activities if they wanted too. Also served in the dining to the residents.
Productive workplace with a friendly atmosphere
Administrative Assistant/Payroll Manager (Former Employee), Florham Park, NJDecember 11, 2014
Pros: wonderful people and friendly staff
Cons: short breaks
Great place to work for, I performed accounting functions while managing payroll. I also conducted employee orientation. I did payroll for 200 employees. Due the amount of time and multiple priorities throughout the day, I have to say that any interaction I get to have with my staff and co-workers is a huge plus throughout the day. The hardest part of the job would have to be getting certain task done through out the course of the business day.
friendly co-workers and residents
Care Manager (Former Employee), Highland Park, ILDecember 10, 2014
I would get to work in the mornings read the daily log in regards the residents and help them with there daily living which would be: get them up dress them up, give them a shower, bush teeth, fix their hair, and anything they need to do to start their day and take them down for breakfast. Some residents I would have to help them eat. I would taking them to the restroom and make sure that that were involved and did activities throw out the day.

Co-workers were really nice we always helped each other out. Learned a lot.
Great Job
Care manager (Current Employee), Columbia, MDDecember 4, 2014
Each day i start by checking my residents. I prepare them for the day ahead. I do Laundry,Personal care, Food preperation, etc. My co-works are amazing. In this feild everybody has to stick together to help eachother.
the hardest part of my job is to keep it clean.
House Keeping Aide (Current Employee), Bloomfield Hills, MINovember 30, 2014
I enjoy the elderly talking with them listening to story telling I love it

About Sunrise Senior Living

Sunrise Senior Living’s unique resident-centered services are delivered by a team trained to encourage independence, preserve – Read more

Sunrise Senior Living Photos