Sunrise Senior Living Employee Reviews

Too much talking behind each-others backs, not a Team work environment.
cook (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILOctober 11, 2016
I started working at Sunrise in Crystal lake, IL. Loved working with the elderly. Making sure I Cooked my best. My manager not a good person to work for. Talking behind all the other cooks back when they were not there, and embarrassing me in front of my co-workers by yelling at me about a soup I had made. Very humiliating!! not just for me but the other employees in the kitchen. He literally mad me cry. I have been in the work force for 40yrs and no one has ever done that to me. Very bad management in the kitchen. Also not professional at all.
review of the place i worked at
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 5, 2016
The leads could do and talk to us how ever they wanted to and the manager wouldn't do anything about it. The manger would take long periods of time off and we could barely get our days approved. Too little pay for all of the work you have to do for example: Serving, clothes, bathing, doing laundry, putting up the clothes, and we had a couple of residence that couldn't walk at all and we never had enough people on a shift we were always short staffed and the turn over rate is ridiculous because of the bad management.
Pros
get to know the residents
Cons
never enough time or help
Fun and enjoyable place to work with polite supervisors
Activity Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 29, 2017
This is was a great place to volunteer. All the supervisors are very understanding and polite. They help with anything you need. The environment is always calm and the residents are very innocent and sweet. I always looked forward to going, because I enjoyed interacting with the residents and learning about them.
Pros
Great events, calm environment, great management
Hard times with Management
Lead Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Westminster, COMarch 23, 2016
Working at Sunrise Senior Living, I love all of my residents. They are awesome, they appreciate the Care Managers, they tell us thank you for all of our hard work. I personally hear more praise from my residents than I do my bosses. I work overnights, which can be difficult, we are a smaller staff with the same amount of residents as the other shifts. My bosses are supposed to come in once a week for a partial overnight shift to see how we work and to ensure we have everything we need. Hardly ever does that happen, or do they come and talk to all team members, Overnight shift, if one of us needs to call in, even with a doctors note, we still get in trouble. With the snow being as bad as it is, they warned us that if the next shift cannot make it in, we have to stay, which is fine, but if you are the one calling in, you basically lose your job. The only time, I truly hear from my bosses is when I am in trouble. I work my butt off, working 9-10hr shifts since the next shift needs assistance and there is very little appreciation. I stay for my residents, not for my superiors.
Pros
Residents
Cons
No appreciation from management
Very nice place.
Lead med care manager (Former Employee) –  McCandless Township, PAAugust 26, 2016
I really liked it there. Not perfect, but it was a nice place of employment. You have nice people to work with along with ones with attitudes.( this is everywhere) Management was nice when you saw them. This was different place of employment from an actual nursing home. Where I worked everyone worked together as a team. Everyone new their job and did it. If help was needed there was help. Depending on the floor, you worked on, would determine the type, and amount of care needed to be given.( some residents needed more help then others) Above all this was a great place to work.
Pros
Nice people, nice atmosphere.
Cons
Wage was ok could be better
Friendly place to work and very welcoming
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CANovember 30, 2016
Great residents. Although need some management improvements. It was very clean and welcoming . Many friendly employees who are willing to help you . And friendly residents who you get attached to . It was fun and always looked forward to working although it could be very overwhelming at times .
Pros
Cheap lunches, very clean, welcoming
Cons
Bad management, not enough hours
Nice and clean work facility
LPN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILFebruary 17, 2017
Job management is nice and friendly. Great place to work. Staff members are very friendly and beleive in teamwork. good communication and collbration between memebers.
Pros
Nice management
Cons
Lots of walking
I enjoyed working for Sunrise everyone was so nice an the residents were very interesting.
Lead Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MINovember 5, 2016
I like Sunrise for their fast advancement you climb the ladder fast. The pay rate was nice the training I had was excellent an the Sunrise team was very helpful when it came to asking question if things I didn't know.
Pros
Rewarded us of our good work ethics by having pizza parties for us
Cons
High healthcare rate taken out of your checks
care for clients on a daily basis, personal hygiene, grooming, feeding, showering and get ready for daily activities
care giver (Former Employee) –  Claremont, CAOctober 5, 2016
I enjoyed making a difference in others lives. putting a smile on their faces. The company I worked for was rewarding and reasonable as far a reviews and benefits.
Pros
making difference in others lives
Cons
lack of hours
Ok place to work for nursing students
LPN MED TECH (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 6, 2017
This place is great for nursing student because it allows you to begin hands-on care with residents without the liability of actual nursing. Even the actual nurses are limited in their scope of nursing due to Assisted Living laws. The job itself isn't hard however I would caution new nurses right out of school from seeking employment here due to the fact that you wont ever learn or develop your nursing skill. I met a RN whose only job was this place and she worked here for 10+ years and didn't know how to start an IV. Nursing in this job just isn't a cultivated skill. However if you've been a nurse for a long time and want to move into something slower paced without the nursing liability, then I would recommend this job.
Pros
Staff is allowed to participate in life enrichment activities- parties, festivals, clubs, etc.
Cons
They are on the lowest end of the pay scale, high turn over rate, short-staffed, and all the staff are overworked.
Brighton gardens is the worst sunrise owns
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MIJanuary 2, 2017
To much changes with ownership and directors you do to much work for the pay your expected to be a waitress as well management is rude goes on she said basis firing 4 or more ppl in a week thank god I quit
Pros
Residents
Cons
Favoritism not enough pay
its unorginized
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 2, 2017
i love my fellow coworkers.the place is very unorgnized, the pay stinks.crazy rules.They over work the care mangers, under pay us. When they hire new people they cut hours for fulltime employees.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
upper management, unorgnized
Rewarding job experience
Dining Room Manager, Caregiver, Concierge (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, CONovember 29, 2016
I worked a few different positions at Sunrise Senior Living. I worked as a server, dining room manager, caregiver, and concierge. It was a fast paced, fun, and challenging job. I loved the new learning/growth opportunities they offered such as classes, or changing around positions within the community. The staff worked well with good communication and I really felt we were a successful team. One of the hardest parts about this job for me was how real things can get there, such as injuries or death. I think one of my favorite things about working here was just being able to help the residents everyday. It was very rewarding for me to be apart of their lives.
Pros
Free Classes
Cons
Sometimes we were short staffed
I love the residents
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GANovember 18, 2016
The residents in the facility were suffering from mental loss, but I still enjoyed the time I spent with them. We had poetry night, game night and pamper parties that they all loved. The management staff was nice and they were appreciative for my time there with them.
Pros
I volunteered on my terms.
Cons
Not a place if you don't fit in to the click
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  East Meadow, NYFebruary 6, 2017
Lved the residents and helping the residents. All what I learned are from the nurses that were already established . Management are above all not helpful. Overall not a place for me.
Understaffed and overworked for little pay
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lafayette Hill, PAJuly 27, 2016
When working at sunrise you can expect to be a little overworked. In a general prospective there are not enough people on working staff to accommodate the amount of assigned residents. There are only 2 types of categories, dementia and personal care. The floor where the residents with dementia is completely understaffed with only 4 resident aides and over 25 residents all solely relying on them. Team effort is extremely important however it is rarely practiced. Management is unprofessional and unorganized.
Challenging and Rewarding
ASSISTED LIVING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 27, 2016
I loved being able to care for the residents and build some great relationships.
The expectation to be on call all the time made the balance between work and home difficult.
The management was ok, but didn't seem interested in backing up the employees when needed.
Pros
The people I got to serve and work with.
Cons
Management and unrealistic expectations
Have to be friendly with management.
Care giver (Former Employee) –  Rocky River, OHDecember 16, 2016
If you're not a friend of management, you're pretty much 100% overlooked and ignored. Otherwise I absolutely LOVED this job. I worked in reminiscence and I loved every single one of our residents. No downside to the job itself.
Friendly and secure environment with wonderful residents.
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJune 16, 2016
Very busy place with scheduled activities for residents throughout the day. I learnt that the elderly are an active part of the community and have a lot to give in terms of skills and experiences. The management status during my time at Sunrise Senior Living was average and my co-workers made a good team. The hardest part of my job was losing awesome residents to death after developing strong bonds with them. What I enjoyed most was the part where I get to spend valuable time with the elderly and listen to their stories of lifetime achievements, both professionally and family wise.
Pros
Good team work.
Cons
Too many residents assigned to one caregiver with very little time to give adequate care.
Great
Concierge - Saturday only (Current Employee) –  Westfield, NJDecember 15, 2016
Beautiful and wonderful place to work! Staff is very nice and the Executive Director is very understanding. I do not have a negative comment about this company!
Pros
Staff
Cons
Not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sunrise Senior Living. Our community is ready to answer.

Sunrise Senior Living Reviews by Location