Sunrise Senior Living Employee Reviews in United States

If you have integrety, do not work here
Resident Care Director/RN (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AzApril 28, 2016
This company is not what they present themselves to be when interviewing. The residents are not well cared for and some of their practices are very unethical. Management is unprofessional and incompetent. The management staff is over worked with managers doing the work of two people because they can't keep staff. There were days when no housekeepers were in the facility and the staff was asked to help clean up. To quote a co-worker " Everyone is very stressed out here" If you discover violations in their practice do not bother telling anyone about it, management does not care. The case managers are friendly, but management is not and they are quick to stab you in the back. The department heads/ MA's brag that they do the job of the RN, even deleting the RN's entries on reports to add their own comments, very unethical. The EX Director does not follow company policies and has so "snowed" the regional managers that they actually let her get by with it. Run from this company, the facility is beautiful, but the operation is very ugly. I feel very sorry for the residents left in their care, families pay big bucks to have their family members in this place...but if they would look closer they would clearly see they are not getting what they paid for. The state found no deficiency on their last State inspection, shame on the State Inspectors, there were several very obvious deficiencies if they'd just looked beyond the pretty package.
Pros
Well decorated facility
Cons
Unethical work practice
Never again.
Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Unknown Gulch, IDApril 28, 2016
I worked for this company and all they ever seem to do is moan and be nasty to their staff. I was over worked because they cannot be bothered to get any staff this job had lead me to been depressed. bad management they promise things you done even get. I was offered to do my training and they turned it down. I have been on the sick for a month and all they every do is bother you asking when are you coming back. They don't seem to care about no one all they care about is money this money that. I am looking at getting out of here. I have been so under pressured and stressed worst job ever I have nothing nice to say.
Management is amazing!
Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 27, 2016
Great pay, great management, willing to work with school schedules, very flexible, residents are amazing, environment is refreshing, team members are very dependable.
Pros
Constantly busy, but not overwhelming
Cons
dont always get a break, lunches are only 30 mins
Working @ Sunrise
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  West Bloomfield Township, MIApril 25, 2016
let me tell you now they overwork you for the pay that your getting. and the pay isn't even worth it. bosses are a**holes, coworkers have bad attitudes. its really the team not the people who live there. they'll put all the work on you, wont help you with anything & leave work for the next person when there suppose to do it, WOULD NOT WORK HERE
unsatisfactory
Activity Director (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 25, 2016
Sunrise Senior Living of Buckhead is the worst place I have ever worked. The Director there is not compassionate to the residents or the employees.
Pros
leaving the building
Cons
food
Good Enviroment, Good Team
Lead Care Manager (Current Employee) –  East Brunswick, NJApril 23, 2016
Working at this facility has wonderful residents and have good team work. The management has been fair for everyone. The consistency of working here made me develop strong bonds with the residents and family as well.
Pros
Team work.
Cons
Short of staffs at times
I love this job.
CNA (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 21, 2016
This job is an amazing place to work the people are caring and the residents are the nicest people you'll ever met. The pay was decent not the best for the work you do. But the environment making up for that. I would love to go back but the company change a lot of things.
Pros
EVERYTHING!
Cons
Pay
Fun and enjoable place to work.
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILApril 20, 2016
I LOVED this job. The staff was so friendly and welcoming. The pay was great for me being a college student living on my own. A typical day at work was pretty smooth and organized (depending on what shift you work) I worked the AM shift. You go in get your residents up, help those who need help bathing or showering and getting dressed and take them down to the dining room for breakfast followed by an activity for the residents to engage with one another. The non mobile residents would be brought up a breakfast tray or would complete activities of their choice in their rooms. The hardest part of the job was getting attached to residents and see them getting sick and passing away. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting spending time with the residents and listening to their life stories.
Pros
Free lunches, lots of overtime available
Cons
good place to work, lots of history to learn by listening to the patients.
Care manager (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVApril 20, 2016
It was a lerning experience, but it does take a toll, you must be very understanding of the requeriments of being a caregiver to the patients, you must be in it heart and soul,
Pros
You learn History from the source
Cons
Emotionally draining
Caring place for Seniors
Sales Assistant/Admissions Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montgomery Village, MDApril 20, 2016
Interviews, tours, reports, interaction with seniors, scheduling appointments, daily coordinators meeting, lease consultation, lease signing, walking the building and grounds to ensure all is neat and clean, alerting maintenance of anything that is out of order, ensuring that tenants are happy.
Pros
clean environment
Cons
I have to go home at the end of the day
Management tries to over work their employees way to much .
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDApril 18, 2016
Easy going my work was always done, morning shift was not good, nothing was ever good enough. I learned that this was the wrong profession for me . I did not care for the management. My night time coworkers were amazing as well as evening, but the morning crew was horrible to work with. hardest part was trying to handle difficult residents by myself , we weren't staffed properly. Most enjoyable part was helping my residents and seeing them happy.
Pros
fair pay
Cons
holidays, bad work environment sometimes, not staffed enough.
concierge
I am good with people and a good worker (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAApril 17, 2016
I enjoyed the residents and my co worker. I worked full time I am retired and want to work part time. I handled all the incoming mail, did a lot of computer work, heavy phones and working with the residents.
Pros
Beautiful place
Cons
The management was terrible
They don't appreciate their employees hostile work environment !!
Care manager (Former Employee) –  Holbrook, NYApril 17, 2016
The employees are nasty and not classy the facility is dirty wage is very low , if you need time off they dictate what days you can have off and always give a hard time if you dare call out sick . Please do yourself a favor and go to a nursing home I work at one now and it's easier than this job it's not am assited living and plus they will make you waitress in the dining room on top of a heavy patient work
Load
Pros
Residents
Cons
Dont drink the coolaid...
Care Manager / Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 9, 2016
When I first got hired, everything seemed very profession. I thought I was given my dream job. As a cna I am accustomed to sub acute center's. But sunrise was bright and shiny. I thought I was lucky! I was promised a set schedule, advancement and a pay raise after my 90 days. What I got was different. A lot of the girls that were working there either quit or got fired when I started. I didn't understand why there was such a turn of employees. The schedule was set for the first few months, than all of sudden I had no days, the next week I worked all week . My days where all over the place. Management was rude and I actually got phones when i called in accusing me of lying and not needing a day off. Managements lies and harnesses.
Pros
The residents
Productive Workplace
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAApril 6, 2016
Very busy work environment. Time went by really fast! All the different daily activities were a hit. The hardest part of the job was leaving at the end of my shift.
Pros
drives around town, walks at the beach
Cons
combative patients
I have a calling to care for others and I truly enjoy Sunrise!
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILApril 4, 2016
The staff and management team are proud of all the seniors and they treat everyone as an individual. I look forward to going to work everyday and making a difference in some ones life.
Horrible place to work
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 2, 2016
Sunrise in Richmond, Va. Is the worst place to work. Management is horrible.They ignore important issues reported by sraff.They are totally clueless about everything. In facility. Staff turnover is horrible. Cant keep employees because management has no respect for them what so ever.Employees do whatever they want to do with no consequences from management even when management is told about another employee doing something wrong. Corporate contacted about pour management at this facity. I would never put any of my family members in a Sunrise facility after seeing what happens at this one.
Pros
Residents are great
Cons
Management very poor.
Serving, Dedicated Staff
Lead Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, COApril 1, 2016
I have loved my time at Sunrise Senior Living. My coworkers and bosses are all very loving and dedicated employees and care very deeply for the well being of the residents we help take care of. Everyone is very invested in the well being of each individual on much more than a care level. We connect spiritually with them making the job very fun, but also some what intense. When something goes wrong everyone is very quick to find a solution. Sometimes there are losses, which comes with the territory, to which we all help each other grieve. The residents seem to enjoy where they are living and the company we provide.

Typically I start my afternoons around 2pm and work until 10pm. In that time I will delegate chores to my co workers and begin getting residents ready for activities and eventually dinner. I help with all two person assists when available and manage my own hall. Toileting is very important and always happens before and after dinner. During dinner I help serve food and clean up afterwards. Dishes are cleaned on the floor by a designated care manager before they return to work. The residents often enjoy a movie before bed, which helps keep them occupied while we begin to take people one by one to their rooms for the evening.

Some times I work overnight from 6pm-6am. On these shifts I assist with putting people to bed before mopping and sweeping the kitchen, finishing laundry, washing aprons, getting juice from the kitchen for the morning, clean the steam tables, cleaning and setting tables, and picking up the living areas. The at 12am, 2am, and 4am I do rounds
  more... where I go into every room and check every resident to make sure they are safe and have not wet the bed. If they have we the bed I change their underwear and bedding.

The hardest part of this job is when someone dies. It is very easy to become emotionally attached and is healthy, I think, to do so. When they die how ever it can often be like losing a dear friend. Not only do you lose one dear friend, but often many during the year.

The second hardest part can be working when there is short staff. The staffing fluctuates a lot given that this job is made for a very particular person. So there may be months where you work many more than 40 hours a week in positions you may not be used to or as comfortable with. It all levels out eventually you just have to get through the wave.

Altogether I really love my job. The residents are great and the staff is highly trained and very sweet. Absolutely a great company to work for.
serving residence
CNA (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTMarch 29, 2016
i like walking to the and talking to them. I like taking care of all the patience. i like this company because they treat everyone equal and respect.
Fun Workplace
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Peres, MOMarch 29, 2016
A typical day at Sunrise was always a very busy day. It was never a dull moment at Sunrise. I learned alot of different things you learned something new everyday. We had new residents moving in all the time and we had to learn them (their likes / dislikes) , Management tried their best to make sure things ran smooth and everyone answered all the call lights in a timely manner. My coworkers always help each other we always worked as a team. The hardest part of the job was trying to answer all the call lights in a timely manner, and the most enjoyable was just being able to successfully help a person out that was in need.
Pros
Management Showing Appreciation To The Care Managers
Cons
Incidents

Sunrise Senior Living Reviews by Location