Sunrise Senior Living Employee Reviews

I love the residents
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GANovember 18, 2016
The residents in the facility were suffering from mental loss, but I still enjoyed the time I spent with them. We had poetry night, game night and pamper parties that they all loved. The management staff was nice and they were appreciative for my time there with them.
Pros
I volunteered on my terms.
isnt enough pay
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJanuary 23, 2017
As a care manager nobody helps you the lead care manager fool around dont do there job think there better than other and employees act like high school student . a unhealthy environment for workers . overall we get paid too little to serve the residents set dinning room provide care do laundry take out trash to much work and expect thing to be done at a fast pace .
Pros
nothing
Cons
unprofessional short breaks
Not a place if you don't fit in to the click
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  East Meadow, NYFebruary 6, 2017
Lved the residents and helping the residents. All what I learned are from the nurses that were already established . Management are above all not helpful. Overall not a place for me.
Have to be friendly with management.
Care giver (Former Employee) –  Rocky River, OHDecember 16, 2016
If you're not a friend of management, you're pretty much 100% overlooked and ignored. Otherwise I absolutely LOVED this job. I worked in reminiscence and I loved every single one of our residents. No downside to the job itself.
Challenging and Rewarding
ASSISTED LIVING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 27, 2016
I loved being able to care for the residents and build some great relationships.
The expectation to be on call all the time made the balance between work and home difficult.
The management was ok, but didn't seem interested in backing up the employees when needed.
Pros
The people I got to serve and work with.
Cons
Management and unrealistic expectations
Understaffed and overworked for little pay
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lafayette Hill, PAJuly 27, 2016
When working at sunrise you can expect to be a little overworked. In a general prospective there are not enough people on working staff to accommodate the amount of assigned residents. There are only 2 types of categories, dementia and personal care. The floor where the residents with dementia is completely understaffed with only 4 resident aides and over 25 residents all solely relying on them. Team effort is extremely important however it is rarely practiced. Management is unprofessional and unorganized.
Love working with the Seniors
Internship (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 15, 2016
My day started with the hydration cart making sure the seniors received their water and cranberry juice. I also did exercises with the seniors as well as polishing their nails, arts and crafts and taking them out to lunch. I learned that we all will become a senior citizen one day and you should always treat them with tender loving care because that's how you would want to be treated. My supervisor is an awesome woman. She is very attentive the senior needs and she is very loving and supportive. The hard part is when a senior dies. The most enjoyable part is conversating with the clients and polishing their nails.
Pros
Watching the clients light up at getting their nails polished and doing arts and crafts.
Cons
Losing a senior
Too much work besides care for low pay
Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) (Former Employee) –  Township of Randolph, NJJanuary 16, 2017
Not only do you do take care of the residents. You pick up garbage and have to haul it to the dumpster, serve the food, do laundry- wash,dry and fold residents clothes and tablecloths and napkins. Wash all the dishes and then still load the dishwasher with the dishes. Too much work besides care for low pay.
Cons
too much work besides care for low pay
Good Start
Medication Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAFebruary 22, 2017
Sunrise as a company was great. The only thing I did not like was the constant turn over. During the time I was there, there was about 4 executive directors.
Pros
Good Benefeits
Cons
High turnover
Friendly and secure environment with wonderful residents.
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJune 16, 2016
Very busy place with scheduled activities for residents throughout the day. I learnt that the elderly are an active part of the community and have a lot to give in terms of skills and experiences. The management status during my time at Sunrise Senior Living was average and my co-workers made a good team. The hardest part of my job was losing awesome residents to death after developing strong bonds with them. What I enjoyed most was the part where I get to spend valuable time with the elderly and listen to their stories of lifetime achievements, both professionally and family wise.
Pros
Good team work.
Cons
Too many residents assigned to one caregiver with very little time to give adequate care.
Poor upper management. Only concerned about profits, not people
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  New JerseyDecember 30, 2016
Upper management is based on nepotism and cronyism with no regard to resident care or employees. Profits over people all day.
Great
Concierge - Saturday only (Current Employee) –  Westfield, NJDecember 15, 2016
Beautiful and wonderful place to work! Staff is very nice and the Executive Director is very understanding. I do not have a negative comment about this company!
Pros
Staff
Cons
Not enough hours
worthwhile
Server (Former Employee) –  Severna Park, MDFebruary 10, 2017
i advanced to a leader because of my knowledge and able to adapt and work quickly. Hard work pays off and does not go unnoticed in this company.
Pros
residents
Cons
management
Nice workplace
Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 14, 2017
Everyone is friendly and staff has teamwork and management will work with you they have several locations if you would ever like to transfer its a good job
Family Oriented, Fast Paced, Elderly Based Supportive Community
Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exton, PAOctober 21, 2016
A great place to work for the staff as well as residents are very friendly, helpful , supportive community. While working at Sunrise of Exton I enjoyed helping the residents with any issues that arises throughout their stay with community. Every staff including managers strive to make the resident feel they have the right care, their rights are protected, living and surviving.
Pleasant place to work, I left to further my education.
Medication Aide (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJuly 5, 2016
There was constant movement of patients and staff. I learned how to treat elderly people with compassion and treat them as I will want to be treated.
Management was kind of distant, and did not give adequate direction.
Most of co-workers were nice, and when I became supervisor I did well.
The hardest part of the job was when patients passed away.
Frequently, we would laugh and sing around holidays and all would have fun.
Pros
On my floor there was great teamwork.
Cons
When staff would come in late, and speak a different language in front of patients.
Very Hard Work No Pay
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAFebruary 1, 2017
They will work you like a slave laugh in your face and stab you in the back

They want you to bend over backwards for them but wont give you the time of day

This is however a good company but Dunwoody community is just getto

They have young lazy girls there is no team work.
Pros
Cons
Does not promote from with in
Caregiver
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILNovember 8, 2016
Sunrise is a great company to work for and very professional. I loved working for them, everyone from management down to the staff and even the residents were like a big happy family.
Great place to work...if you get the right facility
Maintenance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rocky River, OHJuly 30, 2015
Sunrise Senior Living is a great company to work for....provided you get a facility with a good executive director. The only problem is if you need health benefits, Sunrise has the highest insurance costs I have ever seen. If you enjoy working with the elderly and especially interacting with them socially, it's a great place to work. They encourage interaction with residents to give the facility a more "homelike" feel. However, if you have a bad ED...forget it. The ED can make your job miserable.
Pros
decent pay, clean facilities, opportunity for advancement
Cons
expensive benefit package, management not consistent from home to home
A nice place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Willowbrook, ILJanuary 10, 2017
I actually really liked working here. I loved the residents and that it was an easy going place. They even let me pick up some hours in the kitchen washing dishes. I did not like my job as a housekeeper though. It was kind of boring, and the hiring process took a while before I could even begin training.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sunrise Senior Living. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval