Sunrise Senior Living

Sunrise Senior Living Employee Reviews

Amazing work enviroment and experience
Head of Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  East Brunswick, NJNovember 8, 2012
When I would start my shift I would make sure all of staff were prepared and aware of their assigned areas. Check inventory and daily log for deliveries and appointments with vendors.This being my first position managing others,I learned to multi-task as well as professional social skills.The management staff was excellent and I felt like I was always apart of the team.My co-worker were excellent as well.We grew together as well as advance together.The hardest part of my job working in senior living was getting to know the residents very well and coming in one day to find that they have passed away. The best part of my job was getting to know the residents and hearing their life stories.
Pros
merit raises, abiltiy to advance
Cons
i have no cons.i love every part of my job.
Great Place to work
Activities and Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXNovember 20, 2012
In the world of Assisted Living you really could not find a better place where the culture and dedication to Championing the lives of seniors come together seamlessly as it does at Sunrise Senior Living of Cinco Ranch. The true heroes are the care team and their dedication to the residents. The Universal team approach works so well throughout the community. Coming to work at Cinco can be like coming home. The work is hard, but the lead care managers are good at not over whelming their teams. The true downfall is not really being able to advance, so your growth opportunities may find you working in less desirable conditions than you'd be used to at Cinco, if you move to another community for advancement.
Pros
universal team, family culture
Cons
advancement difficult
Difficult to fix broken
Executive (Former Employee) –  Charlotte areaAugust 2, 2015
This may well have been one of the biggest errors in judgement I made in a career move.
Painful interview process. Unable to provide adequate staffing and care because of rate debates. It is impossible to take care of people without staff to take care of them. The program is designed to keep the most alert and cognitively intact folks in the Assisted Living, and transition the folks that need more assistance to the Memory Care Unit. However, there is no support given when those tough choices have to be made and the corporate / regional leaders don't want to make waves with the families. So you can never move the facility to the level it was intended to function and provide a truly inviting Assisted Living environment.
Pros
Pretty location.
Cons
Does not follow it's own policy and procedures.
Busy and productive working with the elderly
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Friendship Heights, MDOctober 11, 2013
• Assisted the cook
• Set tables, bussed tables, washed dishes
• Provided a positive physical and social environment for our residents.
• Communicated effectively with residents, families, staff, vendors and the general public.
• Carried or lifted items weighing up to 50 pounds
• Stood up and moved about in the kitchen
• Handled food objects, products and utensils
• Bend, stoop and kneeled
• Prepared and cook orders for daily operations
• Advised supervisor of low inventory items; assisted in receiving items and taking inventory as required.
• Maintained a clean, neat and well-organized work area, including but not limited to reach-ins, walk-ins and counters.
• Assisted by performing ware washer or other kitchen duties as needed. Assisted with other duties as assigned.
Review
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, ILAugust 5, 2012
Sunrise Senior Living is not the best place to work. The only benefit that comes out of your day is working with the residents. Management is poor. The employment rate is terrible! Their values about keeping the "residents happy" is a joke. They treat their staff and residents as inferior and underpay for the amount of work that needs to be done. The co-workers are only out for themselves and there is not a team effort atmosphere. The hardest part of the day is getting up 8 people before breakfast time, ALONE. The staff and managements are unethical in the way they treat their employees and residents. I would advise people to not send their parents to those facilities. They will not be happy there.
Pros
holiday parties.
Cons
short to no breaks, under staffed, lack of raises, poor treatment of staff and residents.
Working at Sunrise was a great experience, I loved working here.
Caregiver & Activites Director (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village, CANovember 20, 2012
While working at sunrise I had several positions, including being a server in the dining room for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I assisted the residents with daily living and assisted the activities director. Among my responsibilities were to keep a daily calendar of activities for the residents, organize and run craft workshops for the residents and plan and run special activities for holiday celebrations and special events such as resident re-new of the vowels weddings. I would help residents get ready for the day, as well as to go to sleep and everything they needed in between.
Pros
great benefits, and amazing work enviroment. a lot of room to advance
Cons
getting close to residents that were near death
Fair place to work with a lot of on the job training.
Care manager (Former Employee) –  Mercer Island, WAAugust 9, 2012
A typical day at work is when there is an outbreak of diarrhea, where the most residents are sick. I have learned a lot, among others, how to get a long with people of different cultures and characters. The management is professional. The co-workers are wonderful. The hardest part of the job is related to the facilities provided for the residents which does not support the worker's body mechanics, such as, the resident's beds are to low. The most enjoyable part of the job is at activities, where we sing along with the residents, and the monthly mandatory meetings are also good where we could share and change thoughts with the management and co-workers.
Pros
a good place to work with a lot of training and awards
Cons
health benefits is too expensive
its a good place to work at andi get a free lunch everytime i work.
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAAugust 2, 2015
I start work at 11:15 AM and when i go in the first thing i do is take the trash out. After i do that i clean all the dishes and get ready for lunch. I test the dishwasher to see if its the the right temperature. I then change the dish water out and fill the sink up with new. I really didn't learn anything i knew most the stuff already. My co-workers are nice to me and help with the dishes and ask if i want to hang or go to party's. The job isn't really hard for me i understand the job and was a dishwasher at a hospital. The job is really fun i enjoy everything about the job and my co-workers.
Pros
I get free lunch sometimes. Its up to the cook if they make a lot of food then then i get free food
Cons
some of my co-workers aren't really nice and don't do their jobs
A little about Sunrise
Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 27, 2013
Every day is different. Most days are relaxed and enjoyable. Its a pleasure to be able to give the gift of helping. Our company goes above and beyond the call of duty to promote a quality of life for the geriatric population. To me the hardest part of the job is death. We get so attached to the residents , that its sad to lose them. The most enjolyable part of the job is the interaction and activities we do for them. A typical day at work is follwing your assignment sheets. Laundry and showers also setting the dining area and a little cleaning as well. We assist our residents with anything they need. Grooming , eating, showering, bathing, etc
Pros
relaxed and laid back
Cons
when numerous pages come in at one time and youre only able to help one person at a time
Working with the residents
Lead Care / Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIJuly 27, 2012
I love working with the elderly. I would go to work and start getting residents up and ready for the day and get them down to breakfast before 9:00 am. I would take the resident breakfast order turn it in to the kitchen and then I would serve them their breakfast. I would help dining room staff clean up tables, chairs and vaccum floors. Management always took care of their business. I would help my co-workers if need be and they would help me if I needed help. The hardest part was sitting with a resident while they were passing away. The most enjoyable part of the job is making sure my residents were cared for and comfortable and happy and most of all not in pain.
Pros
seeing happiness throughout the day.
Cons
unhappiness during the day.
Sunrise needs to recognize the care staff much better
sunrise senior living (Current Employee) –  njMarch 16, 2015
Sunrise has its faults as any other facilities, working with this company has help me to excel further than just being a care giver, as an Assisted living coordinator I have gotten the chance to work with the team and to be a motivator to them. Sunrise need to recognize the care staff and appreciate them for the hard work they do on a daily basis.
The hardest part of the job is trying to convince a resident family that their love ones need more assistance in care and it will be costing them more to do so. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting the work done by the end of the day, having enough hours to share for the staff to work after care plans are generated to avoid cutting staff hours.
If you are looking for a job. Stay away from Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn NY
Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Sheepshead bay Brooklyn, NYDecember 5, 2013
Working at Sheepshead Bay is the worst place i ever work. You do everything there. You work in the dinning room serving the residents and cleaning the tables when there finish, you wash all the resident clothes, you are doing activity with the residents even though there is someone there to do it with them, (she is always on FB and shopping) you are doing housekeeping ( cleaning all the rooms, dusting and vacuuming the rooms. with all this work it don't worth the pay. If you call out they write you up. At Christmas time you dont get bonus. All they give you is a $20 check (they take tax from it) and a sweeter. The residents or family not allow to give you anything.
Cons
didnt work there, you pay $3 for lunch
Daily working procedures
Maintenance Director (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 13, 2014
I begin my day with checking the maintenance request log and prioritize requests. Check the heating and cooling systems to ensure they are working properly and the boiler is running properly. perform any preventive maintenance on items around the building. Communicate with the sales team about move ins or move outs and ensure apartments are up to company standards and in move in ready condition. Communicate with my housekeeping staff that consists of 4 housekeepers about room schedule and resident requests. The most enjoyable part of my job was making the residents happy and comfortable while they are staying with us.
Pros
making the residents happy and comfortable
Cons
lack of acknowledge in hard work
Energetic and compassionate with elders!
Lead Care Manager/Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYFebruary 11, 2015
A typical work day at Sunrise for me was providing personal assistance for the residents by feed them, cleaning rooms, washing clothes, doing dishes, and entertained the seniors. What I learned each day was basically how to be more compassionate with seniors and understand their feelings because they do have feelings, rights, and dignity. The management is very well put together and organized and the co-workers work as a great team. The hardest part of the job was leaving late to finish up work with a senior and most enjoyable was listening to the history and stories the seniors tell.
Pros
gave us bonus checks, holiday and vacation pay, parties
Cons
short breaks, should've gave free lunch
this business was productive and a fun place to work at times
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GAOctober 14, 2015
A typical day at Sunrise consisted of taking care of my residents and their personal needs which was fine I learned alot from working the elderly I learned compassion and patience and respect The management was very nice and professional I enjoyed the coworkers that I encountered The hardest part of this job was losing the patients that you had gotten close to due to death of course The most enjoyable part of the jobs were the residents and their families they were so friendly and really appreciated and respected you for what you did
Pros
Working with good and friendly people
Cons
The patients dying was the worst part even though you knew that someda it would happen
Very productive workplace. Residents receive great care, and they are provided with many different activities.
Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MIAugust 22, 2012
As a care manager, I am responsible for assisting residents with activities of daily living. I assist with feeding, bathing, grooming, and much more. The management is very helpful and involved. It is stressed that everyone work together, and Sunrise is great with teamwork. The hardest part of the job is being under a lot of pressure when more than one of my residents wants things all at one time, but there is always a way to work it out, and that is where team work comes in. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to put a smile on the residents' faces.
Pros
going on outings with residents, and team work
Cons
pay rate
Independence a big plus
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Shoreline, WAApril 17, 2015
Nice to be able to work independently and not be tied to a desk. Generally supportive management and positive coworkers a big bonus. Great clients. Enjoyed working with clients and maintaining contact with all related individuals.

Reports, plan-and-progress report-writing not a problem for someone with a teaching background (as I had, writing IEPs and the like), but little training along those lines if you didn't have the background.

Quite a bit of driving and so you have to count on car maintenance expenses in addition to fill-ups.
Pros
Independent working conditions, great clients and co-workers
Cons
No possibility for advancement, no COLI - couldn't keep up with living expenses
Good Benefits
Business Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lilburn, GAJuly 6, 2014
The Benefits were amazing. Great Company to work fI worked for Sunrise Senior Living as the Business Office Coordinator. My Responsibilities were assisting residents and family members with any questions and concerns in regards to services & billing. I also was responsible for Human Resources from interview process to hiring and thereafter. I answered and transferred call on a switch board of 7 lines. I assist my Executive Director with administrative duties as well. I have worked with this company for 6 years. While working with them I have learned the importance of being a team player and how to give great customer service with a smile.or.
benefits
Cons
short breaks
Productive and easy going workplace.
CNA (Former Employee) –  Stamford,CT.September 6, 2012
Working with the residents was a very good experience and hearing their stories was something i valued.I learned how to work with different types of people and work together as a team with others. Whenever i conducted care on any assigned resident i treated them with dignity and i also respected them as individuals. The management is okay.My co- workers worked very closely and we worked as a team. The hardest part of the job is learning how to cope with the sun downing of the residents with dementia or Alzheimer. The most enjoyable part of the job is the development of the friendship between you and that resident.
Pros
group outings to the aquarium
Cons
the benifites are lacking.
I will recomend this company for anyone seeking a job in this particular field
Activities and Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAAugust 20, 2015
Most rewarding is to be available and help those in need. working with and learning from people from different parts of the world.

Besides that my duties include a lot of administrative work, my main tusk is to organize and conduct daily activities with our residents, to see them, engaged, happy and smiling is mine goal and if at the end of the day I leave the community with a sense of satisfaction then mission is accomplished.

Unclear benefits, often with loopholes to not pay for the benefits the company is assuming or advertising on its websites.

Volume of work is high but the salaries are not.