Sunrise Senior Living

Sunrise Senior Living Employee Reviews

fun work place, coworkers and bosses are friendly
Medication Aide (Current Employee), Westfield, NJJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: rate is pretty good
Cons: expensive healthcare benefits when you have kids
A typical day at work is reading the daily log book to check any updates, new order of the medicine, check the medication administration record for any new order and discontinued meds.
I learned how to manage my time.
My coworkers are helpful and nice
The hardest part of the job is when the staff are short.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when i give the residents the best care and see their smile on their faces.
Great place to work for passionate people!
Life Enrichment Manager (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAJanuary 26, 2015
This is a great place for people seeking a job they can be passionate about. I stress the work passionate a great deal because this job does not pay that well. The company does try to make up for it with parties and gifts, but (as much as this sounds like a Hallmak card) the real pay check comes from the work you do with the residents whom make everyday working there worth it. The culture is strong here and it really is like a second home. No day is ever the same so it keeps you on your toes and in all my years working for Sunrise, I have never had a boring work week, let alone a boring work day.
Just a paycheck type place
Reminiscence Care Manager (Former Employee), Yorba Linda, CAJanuary 26, 2015
Cons: everything
Overworked underpaid. terrible place to work. would never return. boss is lousy in memory care unit.
Horrible
Dietary Aide (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no lunch breaks
Was constantly doing my job and other people's jobs. Management said they would do something about it and they never did. Director was never there. Facility had gone through 2 executive directors in the past year. Is on probation from the corporate office. Horribly disorganized. Staff gets away with everything. Love the residents though. When I interviewed was told I would make one amount & ended up being paid a lower amount.
run away fast as u can!!
Care Manager (Former Employee), Palos Heights, ILJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: helping the elderly
Cons: low pay, bad management, co- workers was horrible
This place really is horrible the ED was not management material the coordinator's gossip about the care managers just an overall horrible place they make it seem like it's all good until you get behind them doors then all **** break loose...
very unprofessional environment
Lead Cook (Former Employee), Severna Park, MDJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: no chance for advancement
The dining management is like a virus or a plague. If you don't brown nose they target you for termination. Very unprofessional employees especially the management team. director is very untrustworthy. Would not recommended the severna park location to anyone.
productive work place
Lead Caregiver (Former Employee), Bloomfield Hills, MIJanuary 19, 2015
sunrise is a nice community to work in very nice kind loving people. learned and gained a lot of patience working there. the most enjoyable time us the job is getting to know the residents personally.the hardest part about the job is losing patients.
great
Caregiver/Med Aide (Former Employee), Santa Rosa, CAJanuary 16, 2015
It was a great starter job for me , learned a lot, atmosphere was great and people were very nice.
Warm and loving environment with happy employees
Wellness Nurse (Former Employee), Carmel, INJanuary 15, 2015
Going to work at Sunrise Senior Living was one of the best places to work with the elderly and I have worked in other places that don't quite measure up to a great company.
Everyday was a new experience
Care Manager (Former Employee), Crystal Lake, ILJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: great co-workers and management
Cons: short breaks
A typical day was something new with my Alzheimer's residents.I learned that no matter what state of mind you are in, you still need to be loved and cared about. Especially Alzheimer's residents. Management was great right along with my co-workers. The hardest part was trying to get my residents to understand that they are living now, is their home now, and the most enjoyable part of the job was when they would laugh at something they did or I did. The joy of seeing them laughed just filled my heart with joy.
Very rewarding job!!!
Sunrise at Bluemont Park-Executive Director (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJanuary 12, 2015
There is no typical day....always challenging, rewarding and fun.
fun work place
caregiver (Former Employee), tucson azJanuary 11, 2015
great people but my typical day of work is getting everyone ready for breakfast then doing some activities with the residents. then getting ready to set up for lunch then I will put the resident down for a nap also take them to restrooms
work enviroment
Sunrise Senior Assisted Living (Former Employee), Owings millsJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: location
Cons: location
only worked temporary never got a real feel for place. it was a nice looking place though.
False Promises, Toxic Environment
Non-Salaried Employee (Former Employee), Golden Valley, MNJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: the residents.
Cons: poor pay, horrible management, corporate greed, terrible communication, no reward for hard work, politics, unfair hiring/promotion practices, poor benefits
I would never recommend this employer to anyone - nor would I want a loved one to live here.
All communities in the Twin Cities are poorly run and short on staff. Staff is not properly trained and the expectations of the roles are constantly changing according to who the Executive Director of the day is. (Plus mixed messages handed down by corporate.)
Turnover is ridiculously high - even among management.
If you want to advance, know that they don't care about your actual skills, experience, education or ability to do the job. All they care is whether you have the Sunrise "look" and have bought in to their cult-like culture. To advance, you must be white, have a fake tan, bleached teeth and a "better than thou attitude." All others? Get made false promises.
This company used to have good principles. Now it's all about corporate greed. Those they hire who have good hearts, they'll work to the bone until they burn out and quit. Corporate and management (plus gossip and cliques) make the environment toxic and unbearable. There is no room for advancement despite all the promises they'll make to you about it. They're making the same promises to your co-workers.
You'll end up working close to minimum wage for years, never getting a solid raise because they delay performance evals and then short you on what raise you've earned. Once they've decided they don't want you or you are making too much for the role you're in? They will do everything in their power to drive you out, regardless of how good you are at your job.
Caring environment.
Reminiscence Care Manager/Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Metairie, LAJanuary 7, 2015
Assisted residents with Alzheimer’s/dementia. Focused firmly on the individuals and providing a safe, familiar, yet stimulating environment. Assisted with cleaning & personal hygiene, checked vitals, and valued each senior and recognized the different tastes, preferences and needs at each stage of their lives.

The most enjoyable part was making the residents feel good about themselves, and the team work from co workers.
i love working as a care giver
care manager (Former Employee), playa vista CaJanuary 6, 2015
while providing care and companionship, I learned that every resident/patient is different not one patient needs the exact same care. The hardest part of the job was losing a resident/patient rather they passed away or moved away the bond is different with each resident/patient
Horrible work place
Lead Medication Technician (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJanuary 5, 2015
The worst place I have ever worked. There is no job security. The management staff is very rude and unorganized.
Working for the elderly
Care Manager (Former Employee), West Hills, CAJanuary 5, 2015
As care manager I was responsible for assisting residents, who suffered with
dementia and/or Alzheimer’s, with daily living tasks such as getting dressed, eating,
doctor's appointments and more. I was appointed Vice President of the safety
committee. Along with assisting residents I had to document any changes or incidents
that occurred during my shift.
productive
care manager (Current Employee), malvern paJanuary 5, 2015
friendly work environment. coworker were good to get along with. management was open and friendly. hardest part of job...there was no hard part.
Avoid this community look elsewhere
Care-giver (Former Employee), Severna Park MarylandDecember 30, 2014
Pros: relationships with residents and families
Cons: hard to advance very far, coordinators really don't care about plight of care-givers...
The reward of working with the residents is amazing!
Pay horrible, the disparity between "higher ups" and care-givers is honestly criminal. Management at least at community level is non-supportive and unrealistic.
Headquarters