SunRun Employee Reviews

Appreciative user base but IT management needs improvement
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 22, 2017
The users for IT - billing, treasury were very appreciative. However IT management seems to work in an isolated corner where this kind of appreciation does not trickle down. They rather have management favorites which affect 'outsiders - people who join the team from other companies'. Found them to be discriminatory against women - hardly any women in IT.

Work in itself was enjoyable - good technical challenges. Bad work-life balance though.
Pros
Work
Cons
Work-life balance, management
Overall experience
Retail Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fresno County, CAFebruary 16, 2017
The company's CEO has been by far one of the most inspirational persons I've met. The vision to create a planet run by the sun is awesome. One of the biggest disappointments is with middle management. There is a big disconnect between field reps and corporate throughout a big chunk of the sales process.

Select salaried employees do not work during designated times and by all means are unavailable during weekends when the sales side is at it's busiest.

Overall, I am very disappointed in the direction this company chose to go in.
Pros
Well known
Cons
Unorganized, Passive
really cool environment enjoyed working for them
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAJanuary 27, 2017
the door to door work was the easy part and the training was very informative.
great management a great job to work if you don't mind commission based only
Pros
fun environment great people
Cons
commision base only
management is horrible
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 19, 2017
the greatest location for a job for sure, good benefits and decent pay, but management pretty much sucks. says they are a office and do customer service, but seems as if its a "call center" job. management is too busy micro managing to assist with calls or be organized in anything.
Can be a decent company
Lead Installer (Former Employee) –  Greer, SCJanuary 19, 2017
Good pay for the area. Not much room for advancement in Greer due to full crews. Maanagement needs to take installer concerns as seriously as foremen. Benefits are good and they do allow time you to spend time with your family. VERY hard to get fired from this company though. You seriously have to WORK at getting fired here.
Okay
Energy Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 10, 2017
This is a good first time job, it is a perfect fit for anyone who is in school. So if you're looking for a part-time position if so I will go great...
Outside Sales Consultant
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  North Western, CTJanuary 5, 2017
Sunrun was a pleasure to work with. Typical day was visiting potential clients, qualifying them for a solar system on their roofs. I was able to sharpen my customer service expertise and learn a great deal more of independent goal setting and accomplishments. Working remotely every day with the exception of a monthly meeting.
Most difficult part of the job was trying to help people custom design the system that best fitted their needs. All homes are different and every different homeowner has specific criteria to move forward. Most enjoyable part of the job is the feeling of knowing for every client deciding to go solar, their lives have changed, whether they realize it or not.
Having solar on their homes will save them tens of thousands of dollars and give them a better life for their own lives and ]children by having control of their energy and being able to use that money for things for purposeful.
Pros
Independence. Great support when needed. Great people to work with.
Cons
Not being able to help as many people as I would have liked.
Negative, unethical, not a family oriented organization
Lead Installer (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 5, 2017
There's money to be made in solar. I would rather work for an honest company. This place is only worried about high production and meeting numbers of production.
Pros
Many hours
Cons
Dishonest
Best Job Ever!!
Solar Installer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 3, 2017
Pay And The Growth Of Knowledge Were Amazing At This Job.. Every Person Was Eager To Learn/Teach New Things .. Opportunities of Advancement Endless!!...
Is great at first but then management makes your life miserable.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZDecember 27, 2016
Management micromanages way too much. They pick favorites and give them time off when others with children or medical issues can't have the day off because they aren't the favorite. Constant worrying about job security
Pros
Fun people. Good pay
Cons
Micromanage, unfair work environment
SunRun motto: Quantity over Quality!
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  ArizonaDecember 12, 2016
Typical big corporate business...with all the BS! They sell an out dated railed system(snap&rack) extremely poor quality installs. (I did quality control for Sunrun). Management Push a huge presence of quality & safety....but at the end of the day it's all about hitting their numbers so they make their quarterly bonuses! As far as solar installers go, the pay is not competitive at all! ...but they offer pretty good benefits. I wound not recommend working for them or letting them near your home!
Pros
Benefets
Cons
Everything else
great company
Retail solar advisor (Former Employee) –  Inland Empire, CADecember 8, 2016
very organized company with many attributes. They are good with giving a substantial amount of hours however it is difficult to maintain daily life with their work schedule.
its not a bad job
Solar Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CADecember 7, 2016
its not a terrible job i made it past the training to be fired on route to work so i drove an hour to work for them to fire me via email then accuse me of stealing an ipad i never received.
Great Company & people considering the industry
Solar Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYDecember 2, 2016
This industry is very demanding. Great management and training. Wonderful company, but solar is a tough industry in NY!
Great work environment with fun people
Solar Installer (Current Employee) –  Novato, CANovember 13, 2016
I enjoy working on a small crew doing a very beneficial job installing solar. We work hard to please the costumer since this such a big decision in their lives to go solar. Safery is a primary goal since it can be very dangerous working on a roof everyday. I have learned a lot about working effeciantly since it is almost the same process most days. This job is very tiresome, but enjoyable when done correctly. Only complaint is that upper management sometimes puts us in difficult situations. We work long hours and they only seem to care about making their quarterly numbers while we are the ones out there on the roof. That being said, this job still has great benefits.
Pros
Power tools are all provided
Cons
Lomg hours
Renewable Energy Industry Leader
Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Somerset, NJNovember 10, 2016
Sunrun is a pioneer in the residential solar market and they are a leader in the energy industry revolution. The work is demanding and the change is constant. My co-workers are here both for the future career opportunities and for the chance to make a meaningful impact on the economy and the environment.
Pros
Selling a meaningful service
Cons
An employee support system (HR, Payroll, Benefits, Sales Tools) that has not kept pace with the growth of the company
Management Tanked
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 8, 2016
I love the fact that I work for a solar company. It's a rewarding job because we are saving the planet one home at a time.

I enjoyed working here until the management changed. Since then the company morale has declined at a rapid pace and the company culture now encourages management bullying techniques.

The current manager in place runs the office like it is a high school. She acts like she is just as old as her daughter.

They give false promises of internal promotion. That has yet to happen.

Our one year reviews and merit raise is being put on hold until May 2017! How does that work?
Pros
I like the other PCs I work with.
Cons
Management is terrible and judgemental. Not much encouragement to do a good job.
Okay Place to work
Warehouse Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAOctober 28, 2016
Overall it was an okay place to work but the work life balance is heavily weighed down by work. Management could definately be better. Often had to much work dropped on top of me at the last minute and pressured to do a million things at once.
Pros
Good pay and Benefits
Cons
Overworked and Pressure, Management
Great work place with a fun atmosphere
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 24, 2016
Bring back solar to NV. Management was exceptional along with the in depth training. Great benefits and cooperative pay. I would recommend working for this company
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
PUC ruling on solar depleted the market
The work is satisfying, but there is a disconnect...
Installer (Current Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAOctober 22, 2016
The work is satisfying and rewarding and the pay is on the lower end of good, but management has an obsession with efficiency which they use to berate us into working harder one week to reduce costs, and have no work the next, with no warning.
Pros
The work is worth it
Cons
Egos are rewarded

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SunRun. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9