SunRun Employee Reviews

With growth has come a struggling work life balance and questionable management decisions
Solar Energy Sales Consultant (Former Employee), San Francisco Bay AreaJuly 10, 2015
Pros: I believe that the company founders have the right overall vision for the company, and want to have the most progressive solar company in the business.
Cons: Large disconnect between corporate and the people who make the company work. Shaky management, and a poor work life balance.
Perhaps the best Solar Company in the US, but the job and culture leave a lot to be desired at the present time. Work independently, following up on both company and self generated leads. Big issue with consistency on company leads. Some weeks and months there were plenty, and other months there might be next to none. Leads among sales team not divided up equally. Area manager not always truthful, and had a couple of favorites that often were given many more leads. What we were told, and what took place were two different things. Work/life balance, although talked about at the corporate level on importance, is very poor as an energy consultant. You are expected to work long hours into the evening and also on the weekends. If you have a family or outside interests and activities, you are penalized and given less leads. Unfortunately, as the company has grown, they have forgotten to take care of their own people. Customer service has suffered as well.

There are some really great co-workers. Like many bigger companies, there is a lot of pressure to perform. And they have the wrong people in some of the management positions who have no idea how to set you up to be successful. Most of the good feelings and culture from REC are long gone since the merger. And many really good people have left or are actively looking for positions in another company. Hopefully the corporate level executives will figure it out and make some positive changes before the people who really care are all gone.
Flexibel work schedule and commission opportunity
Field Marketing Associate (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 21, 2015
Base bay, travel pay, plus commission and bonuses monthly
Must have a good personality to obtain leads\
Large national company
Sunrun Experience
Energy Consultant/Team Leader (Former Employee), Kailua, HIMay 24, 2015
Pros: Interdependent work drive
Cons: Field Sales Expense
I love what Sunrun provides for both Business and Home owners with, an alternative to paying more for power. The work environment is diverse yet focused on benefit with motivating bonuses and equal opportunity. The expense of field sales for an individual takes a big chunk out of that individuals pay, which may result as a loss and counter productive to that individuals ability to perform their task effectively. Overall all, Sunrun offers opportunity for people who are ready to invest in themselves in a wide spectrum through Photo-Voltaic Technology.

Thank you.
Absolutely the worst permitting job ever
Permit Coordinater (Current Employee), CaliforniaMay 18, 2015
Pros: Holidays about 11 per year
Cons: Everything! Run away.
This solar company is so upside down. It is horrible! This company is totally unorganized and changes so often you are just racking your brain nonstop to keep up. Designers get all their plans wrong over and over and no one has done anything to change it in years. No advancement whatsoever, but they'll use you up for everything they can. I regret everyday that I took this job, only here because I haven't got a new job yet. Don't work for this company. It's all bogus. This is the worst solar company you can work for ! Run away.

P.s. Run away!
Fun, Energetic, Fast paced
Solar Site Tech / Permit Coordinator (Current Employee), North Hollywood, CAApril 29, 2015
I enjoy waking up to go to work and deal with the office paperwork and work orders. I enjoy interacting with co-workers about day to day life and work. Afterwards the best part of my day is going out in the field and getting my hands dirty and interacting with customers.
Burgeoning Alternative Energy Firm Still Finding Itself
Arizona Field Marketing Supervisor (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZApril 6, 2015
Pros: Great Mission, Solid Branding, Compensation
Cons: Inconsistent culture & management
Sunrun's vision is iconic - to create a planet run by the sun.

Middle management, as is typical, is filled with ambiguity and, at times, ineffective/conflicting reporting structures.

The company's culture is strongest at the San Francisco headquarters. The patchwork of other branches can feel fragmented and out of sync at times, but that is the nature of national growth.

Generally, the company was a leader in an extremely competitive landscape with particularly strong brand recognition.

The company's innovation primarily is directed at finance as opposed to emerging solar technology, which leaves it somewhat at the mercy of other firms like Solar City and SunPower who have better R&D on that front.
Good pay and good benefits that's about it
Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Fontana, CAMarch 13, 2015
Pros: good pay & benefits
Cons: no room for growth - unorganized
No room for advancement and not willing to change old ways to help improve the engineering department. I had more experience then our senior tech did and he also shot my ideas down because he was afraid of change. They're a LONG way from competing with the bigger more organized solar companies. They spend money recklessly by allowing "office employees" to drive company vehicles home when they don't use it for work purposes. They would constantly call me to see if I had time to pick up a permit while I'm in Palm Springs and there only 15 mins away with a company car. Our scheduler commuted 60+ miles round trip and also had a company truck and neglected to take a more affordable car (Prius) home because it wasn't "manly." Shows how much the employees value SunRun.
Busy place to work
ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 20, 2015
Lots of driving, from north bay to Salinas
Computer uploading
viewing and taking apart electrical panels
climbing and measuring roofs
scheduling appointments
drop off and pick up building permits
Fun work enviornment
Field Marketing Associate (Current Employee), Delano, CAJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: flexible.
Cons: criticism
This job is great. Its perfect for college student because you can work around college classes. The only problem is your pay really depends on the prospects. it is commission based; however you could be a great salesman and hardly get sales.
Growing Solar Company that is inovative
Field Marketing Representative/ Canvasser (Current Employee), Chico, CAJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: set my own schedule
Cons: my region is not full supported yet
Must be flexible and maintain a adaptable attitude in this growing company that strives to be innovative and provide the best products and service to it's customers. I have worked with some of the best management teams with Sunrun. They are inspiring and provide great tools for growth and advancement.

What can be difficult in working for a growing company is the unknown and patience for new systems to roll out working the kinks out.
I started at the bottom and was promoted over my boss.
Canvassing Manager (Former Employee), San Ramon, CAMarch 27, 2014
Pros: working outside
Cons: pay, stability, hours, product, sales process
This was door to door sales. When I started as a canvasser my only job was to qualify houses for SunRun's solar energy program and set appointments for the closers. I did this well enough that I got promoted over the team leaders to be canvassing manager after only 7 weeks on the job.

When I got the promotion I became the third canvassing manager in three months. I quickly learned why. Even though I took my department from meeting less than 90% of goal to 128% of goal, no sales were being completed. Canvassing manager compensation depended on closed deals but the closers, over whom the canvassing manager had no control, were not closing deals.

I don't think I can blame this on the closers, who seemed motivated and competent. I think the major problem was the door-to-door process. I conducted a focus group of people who said "no" to us and discovered that even when they made appointments with the canvassers they hated the door-to-door approach. Several said they would probably buy a solar service, either from SunRun or a competitor, but they would do it online and not from a door-to-door salesman.

The whole office, canvassers and closers together, was shut down in January 2019.

As a canvasser I only worked 30 to 40 hours per week. As Canvassing manager I worked 60+ hours per week.

The hardest part of the job was firing non-performing employees.