SunRun Employee Reviews

The sales reps were not being paid our commissions on time
Field Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 12, 2017
The sales reps were not being paid our commissions on time. The moral was very low. We did not have equipment to sell and install. Poor management.
Great Job
Communicatins and Policy Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 8, 2017
Sunrun was a fantastic place to work and I learned a great deal from my experience. Everyone was extraordinarily supportive, and it felt as if everyone was a part of the same team.
Great Company
FIELD ENERGY ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJDecember 6, 2017
During my time at Sunrun was great. The management was excellent. Always offering incentives to sell more. The overall culture of the company is what I loved the most. Wanting to really make a difference in this world.
Pros
Managers, Good pay, etc...
Cons
Did not work well with my school
PV Designer
PV DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 30, 2017
Very relaxed work environment. Other employees are very nice and easy to get along with. Management was also very supportive and easy to talk to. Paid well.
Fun Place to work
Lead/Senior PV Systems Designer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 28, 2017
Sunrun is a great fun place to work for young people. The culture is very laid back and the supervisors are very friendly. It used to be a good place to learn about solar, but it seems that since my departure it doesn't seem like a place to learn anymore, just a place where people who already know about solar can work.
Pros
Laid back culture, fun place to work
Cons
No entry level positions, only minimal job advancement
Roaming and selling
Store Vendor Rep (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 20, 2017
When I was working with SunRun, we have learned a few things about how a solar company worked. Although they had goals, they were very clear on what they wanted and the goals was very hard to reach.

the management team for the company was ok, but they can be a bit harsh on you if goals are not met and if you are not trying. I had no idea that my supervisor would let me go because of my lack of achievement and effort. I was mad, yes and I did hang up on him because I didn't understand into why they would let me go because I was not meeting their quotas. I felt that personally, I really wouldn't recommend this company unless you are very knowledgeable about solar and the product.

The workplace culture was ok, but the hardest part of the job was to get people signed up for the service, it brought more down upon me knowing rejection after rejection, that I was never fit for the job.
Fun Workplace. Not so great pay...
PV Designer Team Lead - New York City Branch (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 19, 2017
Really great work environment. Great co-workers and the work isn't terribly difficult. They train you to do everything that you are required, but some experience in AutoCAD and electrical knowledge is good to have coming into the Design Department.

The one major downfall is that they require a technical or engineering degree, but are not paying what the average entry level position pay is for an engineer... that's really the reason that most people end up leaving the department. Better opportunities elsewhere that pay quite a bit more.

I don't regret my time there though because it really was such a great group of people and a fun / flexible work place.
Stay away
Solar Consultant (Former Employee) –  New JerseyNovember 19, 2017
You will hear empty promises and you will be overworked and most importantly you will be underpaid, that will be your life at Sunrun. Sunrun the company does very well, because you will be underpaid and they over charge for a very low end product. My advice would be to stay away, there are other solar companies out there that will compensate you much better.
Sunrun is OK
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 18, 2017
This job started out nice. There was room for growth and i was paid well. I would recommend this job for anyone entry level. They build from within, so you will have opportunities for growth.
Poor management, highly micro-managed environment and unfair employee favoritism
Sr. Branch Operations Coord (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 17, 2017
A highly micromanaged culture complete with negative office morale and unfair favoritism with employees from the management. As a new comer I doesn't stand a chance with a nurturing work environment.
Pros
Good benefits and compensation
Cons
Poor management, micromanaged work environment, employee favoritism
Great People, Great Culture, Poor Advancement Opportunities.
Solar Rebates Representative (Current Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CANovember 4, 2017
Sunrun boast a great culture and work life balance, however opportunities for growth are slim and very slow moving. The company overall has a great mission and I would encourage anyone interested in a job in solar to check them out.
Pros
Culture, Benefits, Work/Life balance
Cons
Little room for growth
They don't fulfill there promises when it comes to monetary insentives
Solar installation tech (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 1, 2017
On multiple occasions managment has failed to live up to their promises. Asking more out of their work force and yet cutting them short on bonuses. I would not recommend solar in general.
good place
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 30, 2017
decent company but poorly managed and people were generally rather stressed out. I did prefer working for Sunrun over Tesla in hindsight. I think the solar industry is just very stressful and cut throat.
Over good place to work now that most of upper management left.
Solar Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 30, 2017
Over all good place to work it is better now. Upper management really couldn't grasp how to increase productivity with out affecting cancellations. Lower level managers are better now that upper level management is gone.
Good Company, Poor Wages & No Advancement Opportunities
Branch Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAOctober 30, 2017
Work 9am to 9pm, half the day driving to different homeowners for paperwork, the other half uploading and scheduling the next step of the project into salesforce
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Little advencement and little job secutiry once youve passed two years
Good Company to Work for
Branch Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAOctober 25, 2017
Sunrun is a great company to work for. A typical day of work is keeping projects clean and on task. I am taking an increased skill set to my next opportunity. Sunrun has a great leadership team that has created a great culture with in the workplace. The most challenging part of the job is keeping the teams focused and on task. My most favorite part of the job is the relationships I was able to build among my peers.
Benefits
That Sinking Feeling
Associate (Current Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAOctober 24, 2017
Was a pleasant place to work at one point, with good interdepartmental collaboration and real learning opportunities. But that has drastically changed and the culture has grown increasingly toxic. Managers frequently throw their subordinates under metaphorical buses and it's become a very "cover your butt" situation. It's not pleasant and breeds a great amount of stress and resentment. It's hard to trust anyone.

Beyond that, upper management is consistently irresponsible and, in some cases, downright negligent in their understanding of compliance, how the world operates outside of their San Francisco bubble, and adhering to company values. It's hard to live by the credo "Be Lean" when you're consistently wasting money on poorly thought out projects and frivel.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Terrible culture, untrustworthy leaders, no direction
Sunrun is Great
FIELD INSTALLATION COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 24, 2017
Sunrun had a great culture in the workplace. The management was not very involved with support for their employees. Pay could have been alot better for the amount of work that the employees do.
Fun while it lasted
Senior Fund Accountant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 18, 2017
It was very stressful, with huge turnover in all departments. Went from a startup to very corporate overnight. Lack of management at all levels of the company.
Pros
Friday Lunch
Cons
Bad management
Poor management
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 10, 2017
Very poor management. Both managers had none or very little management or sales experience. We would often not receive our schedule until the day before our work week started. Employees were sent to stores 60-100 miles away from where they lived even though there was closer employees. Just all around poor management. People are given promotions based off of popularity not actual performance. I was told on 3 separate occasions I would receive a promotion but never received even a pay raise despite the fact that I was a top performer and my commissions for sales were higher than the majority of the team.
Pros
good comission structure
Cons
Poor management, no communication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SunRun. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8