Sunstate Equipment Employee Reviews in United States

Love this company
National Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 27, 2016
I love Sunstate its a great company to work for. From the culture to the employees...everyone brings a smile to my face. I have been here 4 years and never felt a sense of leaving.
Pros
HAPPY PEOPLE THAT LOVE THEIR JOBS
A good stable employer
Top Line Mechanic Shop (Former Employee) –  txApril 25, 2016
Easy going and a fair work place. Long hours of standing no set time for breaks.Company was to mico managed by corperation. Co-workers were easy to work with and get along good with each other and good comunications.
Pros
Easy work loads
Cons
Not enough training for parts to complete jods at hand
Sunstate Equipment was okay for a temporary employment
Wash bay/custodial (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COFebruary 13, 2016
I worked in the wash bay cleaning heavy equipment with one other employee. I enjoyed the hard work and learned how to drive many heavy machinery. The hardest part of the job was staying dry. I enjoyed working independently without much supervision.
Pros
Stable work and nice coworkers
Cons
12 hour days with overtime being a must for the job
Great Experince
inside sales (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 7, 2016
I went to work everyday looking forward to helping customers and being efficient. the work place was conducive to my work habits.
Poor Management , horrible dispatch , Low pay
Semi Driver (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAOctober 31, 2015
The Company has 4 branches in the bay area , San Jose , Fremont , Concord , and San Mateo . In the last year every manager has left , in addition all of the dispatchers left. The Company replaced 3 dispatchers who knew equipment and customers with 7 people who have very little to no experience dispatching trucks or equipment. Be prepared to be over worked and dispatched over weight.
The Company is in real trouble. They have had to try and field a management team from their out of state operations, with no success. San Mateo had 4 Class A drivers and over the last year they have all left. The Company has not been able to hire any for at least 6 months. This means you will be in San Francisco all the time no matter what branch you work in.
The Company is under staffed as far as drivers are concerned ( down 22 class A and B drivers in the bay area ), Most of the outside haulers they normally used will not work with this company anymore due to the horrible dispatchers. they have a super high turn over , due to the fact that they treat their people like garbage and pay them a very low wage. They have an on call list that rotates every 6 weeks , this means you work any and all hours including weekends every 6 weeks. On call sucks , the dispatchers use the on call drivers to clean up their mistakes (they make lots of mistakes all day every day)
If you like low pay , 14 hour days , the worst dispatch on the planet , and a poor non existent management team who throw them selves and employees under the bus The Company is the place for you.
Pros
You get to work with construction equipment
Cons
Low pay, poor benefits, Bad management, horrible dispach, and long hours
Excellent company for job growth, high integrity, people oriented
Assistant Credit manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 5, 2015
Fast paced environment, focusing on high level of customer service. A knack for multi tasking a must, allows for creative impute and out-of-the-box thinking. Of course the bottom line is a factor, but there is a strong emphasis on customer and staff retention. Fun and integrity is among their core values.
Pros
Free use of company equipment
Cons
Frequently short staffed, due to high growth
best job ever
line mechanic (Current Employee) –  Edmond oklahomaMarch 17, 2015
I'm 45 and have had many jobs as a mechanic but sun state is light years ahead of other places at taking care of employees. Great pay and benefits and they treat you with the upmost respect. Honestly I can find nothing negative about the company and plan on trying to retire from here.
Pros
weekly pay, positive attitudes, always trying to make the employee happy
Cons
I honestly can't think of any.
Not Fun
Field service Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZJanuary 22, 2015
Company does not push for education and cuts lots of corners to get the job done.
Cons
short breaks
wonderful
Tire Field Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 27, 2014
great work place, loved working with everyone, great management and would not change a thing
Always rewarded for a good months in sales, dinners or golf.
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAOctober 14, 2014
What I enjoyed most about this company, is that they made everything a competition for the sales force which I loved. They supplied us with reports on up coming jobs in your territory, the next thing to do would be to call the up coming contractors, then try to learn the name of the person on that job, you then hopefully speak with he or she.The sales staff worked well together and would give leads to each for their own territories.The hardest part at first was hearing the word NO, But I shortly learned how turn that into motivation. The most enjoyable for me was my fellow workers some of who I am still friends with.
Pros
they urged you to use yor expense account, out state trips for success.
Cons
i thought my pay could have been a little higher but still wasn't to bad.
Typical Corporate Pyramid
YARD/ WASHRACK MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Friendswood, TXJuly 28, 2014
A typical day started with coffee and chit chat around the water cooler, CDL drivers acting as if they themselfs walk on water.

I learned quite a bit about many different types of equipment and how they operate.

Management was incompetent to say the least. Personally I respected a few of my colleagues, however, most were much like washed up reality TV stars.

The hardest part was the weather and trying to figure out who was really in charge, the CDL drivers or management.

The most enjoyable was all the equipment I was able to drive.
Pros
many types of equipment to learn about.
Cons
mud, grease, lack of respect.
A friendly and fun place to work.
Roll Off Driver (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTJuly 21, 2014
Typically required to complete several different deliveries on a tight schedule, however the environment allowed the time to pass fast. Great supervisors who manage the there employees with a great attitude no matter the situation.
Pros
out on the oppen road dealing with all types of people day to day. good pay
Cons
the occational long days and worked holidays .
Pefect for people who love to work long hours and like to use their hands
One Ton Driver (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAMarch 20, 2014
A typical work day with Sunstate starts off with a early morning start along with loading and unloading various equipment. Long hours is the usual. I've learned how to be a responsible and honest worker and many other life and job skills. The most challenging part of the job is working in high temperatures with long hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is you get paid weekly.
There is a tremendous lack of continuity throughout the company regarding policies and procedures
Inside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJanuary 6, 2014
The work days are very long, but the work content is challenging and therefor rewarding.

There is a lack of training at management level.

The hardest part of the job is relentless multi-tasking.

The best part is being able to develop solutions to problems that benefit the customer and the company.

My co-workers are diverse, helpful and pleasant to be around.
Everyone is in it for themselves..
sales (Current Employee) –  texasApril 18, 2013
Horrible communication..passing the buck..throwing you under the bus. They keep the poor performing workers..and let the ones that produce slip away.

Your life is work..forget family...
Pros
truck
Cons
horrible communication..their is no team environment.
micromanagement
yard person (Former Employee) –  Tucson, azDecember 6, 2012
Job is repetitive manager micromanages to the point that it interferes with your job. Job is expendable. Will fire you at the drop of a hat.
Pros
coworkers under management is great, good dental plan, free coffee
Cons
managers that don't know how to manage.
If you love being micro-managed this is the company for you!
Head Key Puncher at Stand Alone Branch (Former Employee) –  Central TexasMay 31, 2012
Lots of key punching data everyday. Operations is not really an operational job, its run by sales. Co-workers at the branch are fantastic, except you have to watch your back from the sales side if you are not part of that group. You will get thrown under the bus in a nano second. Hardest part of the job is being a robot everyday - most enjoyable is working with some good hardworking people at your branch.
Pros
not much except you get a truck as the head key puncher. president of the company is a super person.
Cons
benefits r weak, mid mgmt is weak, sales no charges p&d, when customer damages something they usually do not pay for it.
Great owner, sales trainer, trust issues with management
Sales (Former Employee) –  LA/orange CountyMarch 13, 2012
Owner is great, sales trainer is great.
This is a salary plus commision sales job. The good news is that you get a base salary instead of 100% commision. The bad news is this creates a management style that always wonders if you are selling. The regional Sales manager for LA is very unprofessional and is passive aggresive as mentioned. He seldom did any ride alongs or seemed to understand what was really going on out in the feild with the individual reps. He micro managed by talking on the phone and "questioning" the sales reps for hours on end. A lot of great workers in customer service lost there jobs the past few years, but he get's to keep his job. Managing by fear is not a great way to manage people.
If your interviewing with this company ask about the management style and management trust in employees working on their own without harrassment. There are better construction equipment companies out there. Good Luck.
Pros
free truck
Cons
can't park huge truck, odd, and unprossional regional manager, jp.
Good Company, unprofessional and uneducated managers.
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAApril 25, 2011
I was a Sales Rep for 5 years for the Los Angeles region. The company and the people overall are great. However, the Regional Sales Manager and other mangers are and controlling. The LA area Sales Manager John P. was easily the most unprofessional person not to mention manager I had ever dealt with. His management style is that of a insecure control freak who loves to scare people with his confusing and unprofessional management style. I think he has ADD. After laying off many great workers, he is still there, making life tough for all those that come into his path. By the way he has teeth like Austin Powers. Would have been a great job if it wasn't for unprofessional managers like him to make life miserable. Good luck.
Pros
free truck for reps
Cons
regional sales managers an idiot