Sunstate Equipment Employee Reviews

Poor management,Low pay, Start times vary.
Rollback Driver (Former Employee) –  Colton, CAApril 22, 2017
Very poor company.They say there big on safety but they never fix what you write up to be fixed.Very low pay and no raises.They tell you one thing and do another while pretending to be your friend..Very poor management and dispatchers have no clue whats going on.
Pros
Out and about in the open with nice scenery at times.
Cons
Pay for your own medical, low pay, poor management, start times vary different everyday
Busy and Fun
Lube Tech & Wash Rack (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 26, 2017
I had never worked in the construction industry before I was employed with SunState. I learned a lot in my short time with them, I got to drive a lot of fun and respectably dangerous equipment that gave me more respect for the industry.
Pros
Good hours and Great benefits
Cons
Several employees are not trust worthy
Great company at the national level.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Commerce City, CODecember 5, 2016
The company was created by the owner who was mistreated at a previous company he had worked for. Although the company does strive to avoid this type of negative environment, it falls short at the local level. This type totalitarianism leaves many people in fear of losing their jobs if they bother to question any SOP. With a megalomaniac in charge, challenging the status quo will leave a target on your back. This type of treatment goes unnoticed by senior management because the warden knows what senior management looks out for in order to cover it up. If you have the opportunity of being employed at this company beware of local management's two sides. The side they want you to see and the side you will face once employed. The sides are very different.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Great Job, Great Company
Sales Rep/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZDecember 1, 2016
I learned a lot with them. such as dispatching customer service, hoe heavy equipment works the functions and use of small equipment. how to meet deadlines appropriately, met lots of people in different types of construction fields. loved my job
Good if you Dont mind changing schedules
Driver (Former Employee) –  ArizonaOctober 28, 2016
Working on your own for the most part, continuously monitored by camera, long hours,early days, being on a rotating oncall shift working late and getting called in the middle of the night.
Pros
Newer trucks
Cons
Some management
It's not worth your time working nightcrew
Washrack (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 25, 2016
I worked the swing shift basically your washing everything Day crew didn't wash. And sometimes they leave you about 20 pieces of equipment that need to service and wash so your just waiting for equipment to be done. I was also told during orientation that they promoted within the company instead of hiring outside help. That was a lie. And the pay is unfair they will screw you over and offer you 15 for night crew while everyone on Day crew is earning the same. You should get a 10% bump for working 2nd shift. So think twice about applying. And branch Mgr is a Joke. He says core values are essential to Sunstate but he don't follow it. Try to get on Day crew you have a lot more help.
Pros
You can play loud Music
Cons
Management is straight awful Except for Two.
Terrible company
Top line mechanic (Former Employee) –  Deer Valley, AZSeptember 27, 2016
Nice employees worst upper management they micro manage and no matter how hard u work u are a number and u are and will be replaced, doesn't matter how long u been there. Not a good company!!! Stay away keep looking!!!!
Pros
Employees
Cons
Upper management
Good place to learn the rental business
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJune 27, 2016
Good place to learn the rental business. very fast paced and lots of growth if you want it. long hours but good group. start early end end late if you want to be the best.
Pros
Learn the business and growth if you want it
Cons
nothing to add.
Long days but feel accomplished when going home.
Washrack (Current Employee) –  Commerce City, COJune 3, 2016
Washing the equipment and keeping the work area clean, frequently checking what else could be done to keep equipment stocked and ready. Co-workers are attentive and cooperative.
Pros
Sometimes free food and pastries, paid time off, holidays off.
Cons
Short lunch breaks, long days, uncomfortable uniform.
Truck Driver
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZMay 3, 2016
A typical day at Sunstate Equipment would be starting between 4 and 7 am, starting your device, getting your paperwork, inspecting your rig, loading the correct equipment, and getting on the road within a half and hour. Deliver and pickup equipment until dispatch gives you the ok to "shut it down" and go home, usually between 11 and 13 hours.
Cons
Extremely Long Irregular Hours, Difficult to Get Time Off
Love this company
National Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 27, 2016
I love Sunstate its a great company to work for. From the culture to the employees...everyone brings a smile to my face. I have been here 4 years and never felt a sense of leaving.
Pros
HAPPY PEOPLE THAT LOVE THEIR JOBS
A good stable employer
Top Line Mechanic Shop (Former Employee) –  txApril 25, 2016
Easy going and a fair work place. Long hours of standing no set time for breaks.Company was to mico managed by corperation. Co-workers were easy to work with and get along good with each other and good comunications.
Pros
Easy work loads
Cons
Not enough training for parts to complete jods at hand
Sunstate Equipment was okay for a temporary employment
Wash bay/custodial (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COFebruary 13, 2016
I worked in the wash bay cleaning heavy equipment with one other employee. I enjoyed the hard work and learned how to drive many heavy machinery. The hardest part of the job was staying dry. I enjoyed working independently without much supervision.
Pros
Stable work and nice coworkers
Cons
12 hour days with overtime being a must for the job
Great Experince
inside sales (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 7, 2016
I went to work everyday looking forward to helping customers and being efficient. the work place was conducive to my work habits.
Poor Management , horrible dispatch , Low pay
Semi Driver (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAOctober 31, 2015
The Company has 4 branches in the bay area , San Jose , Fremont , Concord , and San Mateo . In the last year every manager has left , in addition all of the dispatchers left. The Company replaced 3 dispatchers who knew equipment and customers with 7 people who have very little to no experience dispatching trucks or equipment. Be prepared to be over worked and dispatched over weight.
The Company is in real trouble. They have had to try and field a management team from their out of state operations, with no success. San Mateo had 4 Class A drivers and over the last year they have all left. The Company has not been able to hire any for at least 6 months. This means you will be in San Francisco all the time no matter what branch you work in.
The Company is under staffed as far as drivers are concerned ( down 22 class A and B drivers in the bay area ), Most of the outside haulers they normally used will not work with this company anymore due to the horrible dispatchers. they have a super high turn over , due to the fact that they treat their people like garbage and pay them a very low wage. They have an on call list that rotates every 6 weeks , this means you work any and all hours including weekends every 6 weeks. On call sucks , the dispatchers use the on call drivers to clean up their mistakes (they make lots of mistakes all day every day)
If you like low pay , 14 hour days , the worst dispatch on the planet , and a poor non existent management team who throw them selves and employees under the bus The Company is the place for you.
Pros
You get to work with construction equipment
Cons
Low pay, poor benefits, Bad management, horrible dispach, and long hours
Excellent company for job growth, high integrity, people oriented
Assistant Credit manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 5, 2015
Fast paced environment, focusing on high level of customer service. A knack for multi tasking a must, allows for creative impute and out-of-the-box thinking. Of course the bottom line is a factor, but there is a strong emphasis on customer and staff retention. Fun and integrity is among their core values.
Pros
Free use of company equipment
Cons
Frequently short staffed, due to high growth
best job ever
line mechanic (Current Employee) –  Edmond oklahomaMarch 17, 2015
I'm 45 and have had many jobs as a mechanic but sun state is light years ahead of other places at taking care of employees. Great pay and benefits and they treat you with the upmost respect. Honestly I can find nothing negative about the company and plan on trying to retire from here.
Pros
weekly pay, positive attitudes, always trying to make the employee happy
Cons
I honestly can't think of any.
Not Fun
Field service Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZJanuary 22, 2015
Company does not push for education and cuts lots of corners to get the job done.
Cons
short breaks
wonderful
Tire Field Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 27, 2014
great work place, loved working with everyone, great management and would not change a thing
Always rewarded for a good months in sales, dinners or golf.
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAOctober 14, 2014
What I enjoyed most about this company, is that they made everything a competition for the sales force which I loved. They supplied us with reports on up coming jobs in your territory, the next thing to do would be to call the up coming contractors, then try to learn the name of the person on that job, you then hopefully speak with he or she.The sales staff worked well together and would give leads to each for their own territories.The hardest part at first was hearing the word NO, But I shortly learned how turn that into motivation. The most enjoyable for me was my fellow workers some of who I am still friends with.
Pros
They urged you to use yor expense account, out state trips for success.
Cons
I thought my pay could have been a little higher but still wasn't to bad.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sunstate Equipment. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9