SunTrust Employee Reviews

Found 2,136 reviews matching the search
suntrust
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GADecember 5, 2016
great company. be ready to make sales and meet numbers. wonderful team experience and work environment. pays good, but the goals are getting away from them.
Large Corporation with a family atmosphere.
Fraud Analyst Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 2, 2016
Awesome company but bottom line came first and often at the expense of the employees. Fun place to work a well thought out corporate environment. Benefits are excellent.
Productive and fun workplace
Foreclosure Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 1, 2016
Working through my daily pipeline keeping accounts updated, talking to customers (inbound calls) who want to work with us in bring account current or payoff. Work projects that are offered by management dealing with accounts that may need to be charged off, re-evaluated for assistance to the consumer etc., talking with our attorneys, and answering emails, taking requests for reinstatement and payoff figures.

I have learned time management, and the hardest part of my job would be not being able to assist someone who is really trying and they don't have the means to do so.

the most enjoyable part is the people I work with
Pros
Free Gym Access
Cons
Healthcare is costly
Co workers were ok but alot of back stabbing
Personal Banker III (Current Employee) –  Lexington, VANovember 30, 2016
It was a enjoyable job at first but then became really stressful and impossible to meet goals. The role play was ridiculous with upper management, nothing was the right thing to say.
Pros
Time off was easy to get
Cons
The sales you have to get are impossible
Friendly environment
Teller (Former Employee) –  Yulee, FLNovember 30, 2016
Typical day of processing transactions and making deposits. I did learn a lot on the banker side of things which was a nice asset. But there is no room for advancement.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
No advancement
bank Teller
Bank Teller/ Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 30, 2016
Bank Teller/ Customer Service Representative, August 2003-September 2004
Some of a bank teller's responsibilities include cashing check
Accepting deposits and loan payments
Processing withdrawals
Sell savings bonds
Accept payment for customers' utility bills and charge card
Processing necessary paperwork for certificates of deposit
Selling travelers' checks
Specialized in handling foreign currencies, or commercial or business accounts.
Longevity
Universal Banker and Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 29, 2016
SunTrust Bank allowed me to advance quickly due to my desire for learning the banking industry and work ethic. The majority of my managers were very understanding and trusted my abilities. Those attributes are what molded me into becoming a very thorough trainer and listening ear for my co-workers.
Pros
Advancement and the Majority are Great Bosses/Leaders/Co-Workers
Cons
Uncertainty; but this may be the nature of the Banking Industry as a whole
unfair
Bankruptcy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 29, 2016
Managerment wasn't fair or understanding. Human resource was for managers not for the employees. Lot of benfit was taken away. Co workers was good. You get blamed for mistakes that supervisors and managers didn't explain the process or produres correct. The most enjoyable part was meeting new friends.
Productive place to work
Teller Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 27, 2016
Definitely was a great place to get work experience and to understand corporate america, as they say. Helped me develop a certain level of professionalism that I do not take for granted.
Good experience
Teller (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VANovember 27, 2016
Good work environment, Good schedule, they really work with you schedule wise. Hardest part of the job was dealing with customers.
Pros
Easy system
Cons
Rude customers
working here
Teller Lead (Former Employee) –  Fulton, MDNovember 27, 2016
Expect to work from sun up to sun down. Make sure to ask alot of questions from superior and to attend trainings.Not good on grqining before just tossing you out there to find your way in the mix.
Pros
HOLIDAY PAY
Cons
WORKING EVERY WEEKEND
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsville, VANovember 26, 2016
I would do transactions as well as have conversations with my customers. I learned a great deal about banking from my co-workers. The management was fine but mainly learned from my supervisors. The hardest part of the job was really dealing with the rude customers. The most enjoyable part was the co-workers as well as the regular customers that would come in.
horrible
Universal Banker (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 25, 2016
I have seen many HR issues in the branch and management doesn't do anything about it. They continuously push us with sales and our sales goals are unreal.
Great Place to Work
BIO Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 23, 2016
Great place to work in team environment to meet growing needs of a bank moving into the national spotlight. Work included meeting with several lines of business in the asset finance brokerage unit, building new software solutions and eliminating redundant capture of data. Systems included Misys LOAN IQ, AFS COMPASS, Bloomberg, DTCC, Calypso Derivatives system, Impact brokerage system, MTS Money Transfer system, OnLine Treasury Manager and GEAC General Ledger systems. Regulatory reporting included Dodd Frank Volcker, CCAR Liquidity reporting, Shared National Credit reporting and other ad hoc internal audit requests.
Most enjoyable part of the job was working with several lines of business helping them streamline and prepare for growth. Flexibility to work from home and move around the office buildings to meet staff.
Pros
work from home life balance and fraud protection for free
Cons
Long hours and constant change in management structure
Productive a great place to work
Home Preservation Client Representative III (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 22, 2016
Great place to work, Suntrust has a good learning experience in place so that you can learn your specific job and excel in the area of your position and career.
Good Work - life Balance
Senior Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 22, 2016
Suntrust has a great work life balance. They also are supportive of new technologies and provide training to those that require it.
They pay you to pester customers.
Lead Teller (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 22, 2016
I did not enjoy this job. I just wanted to help customers with the needs they were concerned about. However, banks are only concerned with convincing customers to sign up for more accounts that I, as a teller was constantly told I had to offer to the customers even when I already knew the customer was not interested.
SunTrust Bank
Personal Banker III (Current Employee) –  Michigan StreetNovember 22, 2016
SunTrust is a great employer with excellent benefits such as 401K and health, however, there have been many changes to banking regulations in the past 6 months and we anticipate many more in the next year which can possibly result in banker's bonus incentive changing (not for the better).
Pros
Great benefits, professional environment, good bonus incentives, opportunity to work independently.
Cons
Job Stability, constant changes to policies/rules/regulations, high turn-over on teller line.
Very corporate - Very poor organizational structure and resources
Business Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 21, 2016
Lots of empty suits walking around. The company is the epitome of corporate America. No one knows who to talk to, there is very little accountability, and the organization is constantly being rearranged with higher turnover than usual. Think of the show "The Office" but banking. The compensation is great, above market, however the company does not invest in new technology to keep up with its competitors.

Make sure you have a manager willing to mentor you because SunTrust has the worst onboarding and continual development/training programs I and my coworkers have experienced.

There are many people working at an abnormally slow pace so they can give the impression of being busy; as a result projects and initiatives take very long, there are delays and project cost overruns, and communication across the enterprise is difficult due to people's lack of accountability and caution to take ownership of anything. High producers are rewarded with more work and more responsibility while advancement is limited because of "lifers" waiting (or needing) for a RIF (RIF = layoff, reduction in force). The main advancement one will get is AVP to VP and annual raises.

On the Consumer and Wholesale side, SunTrust has antiquated backend systems and infrastructure -from the 80s and 90s that continue to be patched, creating unnecessary errors and work so that people will be "safe" in their jobs. The CEO is very concerned with the bottom line and will not make any meaningful (high dollar, high value) investments for the future to build lasting value; as a result the organization is simply
  more... a ticking regulatory time bomb, waiting to explode at any moment.

In the Consumer division be sure to wear a suit every day. You won't be client-facing but the culture requires business attire, which is totally unnecessary for employees in support roles. There are no happy hours or after work events unless you organize yourself - office managers do nothing to support a positive corporate culture, they only serve to manage Managers' calendars, give out equipment, and make sure employees are sitting in the right cube.
Pros
Normal work hours, work can be easy, expectations are unusually low, good exit opportunities
Cons
Lazy culture, Bonuses are never paid out full, highly corporate, no positive company culture/events, company is stagnant and lacks a positive vision for growth
It's a bank job
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Chester, MDNovember 20, 2016
A lot of sales involved. Outbound calling, setting appointments, follow-ups, etc. Not difficult, but not very exciting either. Compensation is competitive. Good bonus program. I hear benefits are decent (I don't use them).
Benefits
Cons
Work/Life balance