SunTrust Employee Reviews

Found 2,195 reviews matching the search
Repetative
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 4, 2016
SunTrust as a company, is a very diverse place to work. This company is a great place for many people of different ethnicity to find employment and possibly a career. Management within my department has become much better since the outside sourcing of a company that review surveys about our current management. Before this, management was basically not be held accountable for their action. They were able to govern my department outside the lines of company regulation and policies. But with the induction of these surveys which are taken yearly, much has changed and now we are encompassed within the companies original vision of how a organization should run.
Pros
Telecommuting and Vacation package.
Cons
Long hours outside of regular scheduled shift.
No so bad if management was held more accountable for behavior.
Bank Support Specialist Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 14, 2016
This was a great place to work but the management was horrible, hostile and exhibited bullying behaviors. My concerns about management were never taken seriously and I eventually was fired because my supervisor didn't like me. I would still be with the company if I didn't have the manager that I had. Pay is pretty good but should be more for all of the tasks done by CFS Supervisors. Very stressful department to work in when management is not a support but a hindrance to your growth.
Pros
Salary, Benefits
Cons
Breaks, High priced lunch, Management
Great company, unrealistic sales expectations
Teller (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJanuary 10, 2017
Great 8-5/6 depending on the day of the week, all federal holidays off, great job security. There is a sales portion to the job that I wasn't fond of. The company often pushes employees to perform and then penalizes them with hovering and watching them closely when they do.
Often sales expectations for particular areas are unrealistic for the demographic.
Pros
Great people, opportunity to advance, family like environment, benefits
Cons
sales portion can be stressful, culture of penalizing for doing too well
For the most part, it was a fun place to work.
Compliance Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 28, 2016
A typical day at work depended upon the department you are in. Management style, policies, dress codes and lunch/break policies change with management instead of being company wide. So one must learn the politics again. Some would quote the law with out knowing the law or consulting with anyone else. Other managers made work life a comfortable and inviting place.

Some co-workers created a hostile environment and were never dealt with. Others created nurturing environments
. Over the 8+ years I worked there, I experienced all types, but still like to return.
Pros
flexible work schedule in some departments
Cons
management policies were inconsistant
High Stress, Pressure to Sale
Teller Coordinator (Current Employee) –  TennesseeDecember 14, 2016
OnUp is a smoke and mirrors campaign for pressuring retail employees to push more products on customers. Sales goals are set so high that they are not possible to meet. Incentive plans are changed without notice, and employees have no idea what upper management is tracking (and they are always tracking something) until asked to sign a write up (aka coaching development plan) for not meeting undisclosed quota. Corporate is out of touch with the day to day branch activities. Branches are short staffed, and employees are forced to work 6 days per week. The bank is more concerned about ATMs and online outlets than taking care of the people that service their primary source of revenue.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
Constant sales pressure, no work life balance
Great Job, even better reward!
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDOctober 21, 2016
I really enjoyed this role. Sure there were bad days (as any other job) but I really liked what I did, the clients, and I learned so much in terms of money, admin duties, and financial management. It can be a fast paced environment, just be sure to keep up!
Pros
Benefits, room for advancement, many mentors and support!
Cons
The goals can start to be very overwhelming if you do not plan well. So, just be very on top of what you need to do.
Great Place to Work
BIO Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 23, 2016
Great place to work in team environment to meet growing needs of a bank moving into the national spotlight. Work included meeting with several lines of business in the asset finance brokerage unit, building new software solutions and eliminating redundant capture of data. Systems included Misys LOAN IQ, AFS COMPASS, Bloomberg, DTCC, Calypso Derivatives system, Impact brokerage system, MTS Money Transfer system, OnLine Treasury Manager and GEAC General Ledger systems. Regulatory reporting included Dodd Frank Volcker, CCAR Liquidity reporting, Shared National Credit reporting and other ad hoc internal audit requests.
Most enjoyable part of the job was working with several lines of business helping them streamline and prepare for growth. Flexibility to work from home and move around the office buildings to meet staff.
Pros
work from home life balance and fraud protection for free
Cons
Long hours and constant change in management structure
Bnaking isnt for everyone
Teller (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLNovember 11, 2016
Although Suntrust is a great company my personal opinion was that it was a little too focused on making numbers instead of caring about there employees or customers.
Management did the best he could with all the pressure that was unfortunately placed upon his shoulders.
The hours were always the same which was a positive part of the job, also the people I worked with and clients I met there are all wonderful people. The hardest part of the job was that they wanted all tellers, and bankers to push new credit cards and new account on clients which agitated our clients and made ourselves come off extremely pushy.
Pros
schedule never changes, great coworkers
Cons
pushy, not many benifits
Stressful environment with good benefits, recognition and good training.
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Westminster, MDAugust 13, 2016
CONS-Goals are set extremely high and impossible to attain. Every year these goals are raised and management holds everyone responsible for them, regardless of the situation.

PROS-There is very good training available if needed by any teammate.
Excellent and hard working teammates are recognized for their efforts.
Benefits are excellent.
Pros
Recognition, good benefits and training
Cons
Sales goals set too high
Management is reason for high turnover
Executive (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 3, 2016
Roughly 20 years ago SunTrust was the place to work! The large amount of turnover that most regions have experienced is due to the management they keep hiring and promoting into lead positions. The top of the house management keeps changing every 3-4 years which in turn brings more chaos and a different set of "what is most important" focus. Unfortunately they have developed a reputation of inconsistency and constant change and most business owners can't trust the stability of the company. Management is the sole reason Commercial/Business Banking and Treasury have suffered so much in recent years. They need to clean house once and for all and start over. Management should be about positively guiding, motivating, developing and supporting employees rather than talking down to, pressuring, constantly changing their minds and intimidating employees. A real shame how far they have fallen.
Pros
Multi-state presence, good demographic, good 401K match
Cons
Chaotic management in the Commercial, NFP, Business Banking, Treasury space
Few complaints
Mortgage Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 23, 2016
I work with a wonderful team. My only quarrel would be there is some obvious favoritism but that's anywhere you go. I also think for a company this size the benefits are horrible compared to BOA and Capital One which are their competitors. They do have a work from home option to help make up for it but you literally have to beg to use it UNLESS it benefits the company during inclement weather which I also think is a bit unfair. They need to give more vacation and sick time to help create a better work life balance. It makes a huge difference with employees physical and mental health.
Great Benefits, More Sales job, less banking
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Madison, GANovember 1, 2016
Great company, good benefits, hours are good accept occasional Saturdays. However, you have sales goals and quotas you have to meet every month. Upper management needs to understand different demographics and why some goals are not attainable. For Example: I work for a branch located in a very high income/retired area with also an abundance of lower income families. The retirees already have financials in order and are not seeking Financial Advisors. They also have their homes paid for and are receiving Social Security and retirement pensions. Thus, they do not want to take loans out against there homes. Also, the lower income individuals who need loans and credit cards can not get approved because of income and credit requirements. I have a friend on the other side of town who constantly meets goals therefore gets their incentives because their demographics are people from their late 20s to early 50s. These are the years where people want to borrow money and are looking for homes/financial advice.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Sales Goals are annoying
non productive vary repetitive and robotic type of work
Business credit card rep (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 5, 2016
my co-workers making working here nice. A typical day of work would include very repetitive work such as credit card balances, payments, credit limit increases and balance transfers. Some of the management can be micro managers and others are very laid back. The hardest part of the job is not being able to say something to a very rude client that using degrading language towards you.
Pros
Cons
unpaid parking, minimal pay increase, minimal training, no room for advancement
It's a bank job
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Chester, MDNovember 20, 2016
A lot of sales involved. Outbound calling, setting appointments, follow-ups, etc. Not difficult, but not very exciting either. Compensation is competitive. Good bonus program. I hear benefits are decent (I don't use them).
Benefits
Cons
Work/Life balance
Business Analyst Contractor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 25, 2016
This company (including it's parent, SunTrust Banks), doesn't know the meaning of effective management (especially upper level, who don't have a clue as to what the minions below them actually do for a living), job security, project or documentation standards or pay grades relative to the amount of work for which any individual below management level is responsible. I was a contractor, on the outside looking in. And in no way understood how or why, other than simply not wanting to be unemployed, people actually stayed to work. RIFs every freaking quarter....constant management departmental reassignment....all in the hopes of MAYBE one day finally getting it right and creating successful, cohesive teams. Horrible benefits. You name it. Was offered perm position. No. Just no.
Pros
Garage parking for most (not all)
Cons
Too many others to list
SunTrust Bank
Universal Banker (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 11, 2017
This Company is below average. They have decent benefits and 401 k package that matches at 6% and they start you off with 10 days (2 weeks vacation). You aren't eligible for sick days until 6 months in, which at that point you will receive 5 sick days.

The Culture is all client based, they want to help client the best they can and to a certain extent they are doing that. They fall behind when it comes to technology. Their goals are very steep and hard to attain and the commissions are below average. You can actually hit your own goal and if you branch doesnt hit its goal you WONT get paid. Universal Bankers are tellers as well as Personal Bankers. They dont tell you that you may end up being more if not completely more of one or the other. This is based on the branch you are in.

The part that puts them below average is their technology. They are using systems from the 1980's to perform daily teller transactions. Their branches computers are slower and everything is on paper not computers. They are ancient. They also do not offer the most competitive pay, or best onboarding process.

I would not work for this company if i knew this going into it.

Hope this helps!
Pros
401k benefits
Cons
old systems, non compeititve pay
Please read this will save you time Stressful working environment
teller (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 14, 2016
worked here for 2 years and trust me it has been worst experience of my life. Management was good. Co workers were totally annoying. Everything is about sales. You meet your goal and they'll always expect more from you. A very good working environment who can handle additional stress. I wasn't fired nor asked to resign. i resigned by my own will just because I was sick and tired of it. I mean tell where in the world would you find a place where you can take your vacation in a limited time. Once i asked for 2 days off and my manager tells me "according to HR you are allowed to have vacation only if you take 5 consecutive days". I busted my brains out for 2 years. And i was told that if i help them out they will promote me. But, no promotion was given. Actually they started giving me work that was not even my responsibility. Glad to make it out of here. I am not afraid to say all this. If anyone needs a clarification feel free to email me. rabbelv@gmail.com. Consider other option people. You dont wanna work for this corporate.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Corporate does not care about employees
It is no longer a good work experience
Vice President Tech Lead/Sr Developer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 28, 2016
SunTrust IT used to be a great place to work but the culture has changed and employees are no longer regarded as valuable but rather as commodities to be used.

I had great co-workers but all are fearful they will be let go on a whim of mgmt. Very little trust of management at all levels..

if you do a great job you are considered satisfactory. To be above average you must be outstanding in ways that are expected by mgmt. This fosters show-offs vs excellence.
Pros
Work from home allowed
Cons
No camaraderie except for immediate teams.
Career driven workplace
Teller Coordinator (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 25, 2016
Every day you engage in conversations with all clients to make sure you are helping them towards their financial well being. I've learned in working that everyone has a need for some type of financial help. You never assume what someone is going through without having that conversation with them. I have had the pleasure to work with great co-workers. Everyone is all about working as a team. The hardest part about my job is time management. I most enjoy helping my teammates exceed in making their goals each month.
Pros
Move up fast if looking for great career
Cons
n/a
SunTrust through the years ...
Department Specialist/Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 1, 2016
I have been with SunTrust for close to 20 years. A typical day would consist of developing loan reports, assisting executives with daily administrative duties, helping teammates with problem solving, prepare for executive meetings and develop presentations and coordinate projects with region presidents and sales managers. I've seen so many changes over the years, changes in corporate philosophy, corporate culture, operating systems, state of the art technology, the list goes on and on, but the one thing that never changes, are SunTrust's awesome employees. Some of which have been with the company for over 40-50 years. I've learned so much and have made long, lasting professional relationships. Corporate professionalism and the understanding of corporate hierarchy, would be my two biggest takeaways. The hardest part of my job would be developing intricate loan reports using raw data. The most enjoyable part of my job is being part of a team. We all work together for the greater good of the company and will stop at nothing to help the client.
Pros
Flexible schedule, able to work from home, overtime permitted, employee benefits
Cons
Career advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SunTrust. Our community is ready to answer.