SunTrust Employee Reviews

Found 2,135 reviews matching the search
No so bad if management was held more accountable for behavior.
Bank Support Specialist Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 14, 2016
This was a great place to work but the management was horrible, hostile and exhibited bullying behaviors. My concerns about management were never taken seriously and I eventually was fired because my supervisor didn't like me. I would still be with the company if I didn't have the manager that I had. Pay is pretty good but should be more for all of the tasks done by CFS Supervisors. Very stressful department to work in when management is not a support but a hindrance to your growth.
Pros
Salary, Benefits
Cons
Breaks, High priced lunch, Management
Bnaking isnt for everyone
Teller (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLNovember 11, 2016
Although Suntrust is a great company my personal opinion was that it was a little too focused on making numbers instead of caring about there employees or customers.
Management did the best he could with all the pressure that was unfortunately placed upon his shoulders.
The hours were always the same which was a positive part of the job, also the people I worked with and clients I met there are all wonderful people. The hardest part of the job was that they wanted all tellers, and bankers to push new credit cards and new account on clients which agitated our clients and made ourselves come off extremely pushy.
Pros
schedule never changes, great coworkers
Cons
pushy, not many benifits
Few complaints
Mortgage Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 23, 2016
I work with a wonderful team. My only quarrel would be there is some obvious favoritism but that's anywhere you go. I also think for a company this size the benefits are horrible compared to BOA and Capital One which are their competitors. They do have a work from home option to help make up for it but you literally have to beg to use it UNLESS it benefits the company during inclement weather which I also think is a bit unfair. They need to give more vacation and sick time to help create a better work life balance. It makes a huge difference with employees physical and mental health.
Management is reason for high turnover
Executive (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 3, 2016
Roughly 20 years ago SunTrust was the place to work! The large amount of turnover that most regions have experienced is due to the management they keep hiring and promoting into lead positions. The top of the house management keeps changing every 3-4 years which in turn brings more chaos and a different set of "what is most important" focus. Unfortunately they have developed a reputation of inconsistency and constant change and most business owners can't trust the stability of the company. Management is the sole reason Commercial/Business Banking and Treasury have suffered so much in recent years. They need to clean house once and for all and start over. Management should be about positively guiding, motivating, developing and supporting employees rather than talking down to, pressuring, constantly changing their minds and intimidating employees. A real shame how far they have fallen.
Pros
Multi-state presence, good demographic, good 401K match
Cons
Chaotic management in the Commercial, NFP, Business Banking, Treasury space
Great Benefits, More Sales job, less banking
Personal Banker (Current Employee) –  Madison, GANovember 1, 2016
Great company, good benefits, hours are good accept occasional Saturdays. However, you have sales goals and quotas you have to meet every month. Upper management needs to understand different demographics and why some goals are not attainable. For Example: I work for a branch located in a very high income/retired area with also an abundance of lower income families. The retirees already have financials in order and are not seeking Financial Advisors. They also have their homes paid for and are receiving Social Security and retirement pensions. Thus, they do not want to take loans out against there homes. Also, the lower income individuals who need loans and credit cards can not get approved because of income and credit requirements. I have a friend on the other side of town who constantly meets goals therefore gets their incentives because their demographics are people from their late 20s to early 50s. These are the years where people want to borrow money and are looking for homes/financial advice.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Sales Goals are annoying
overall great place to work; good work/family life balance
Teller II (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 13, 2016
A typical day at work is fairly simple. You learn a lot about how to help clients move from financial stress to financial confidence. The hardest part of the job is getting clients to realize there is a need when you have a life event or even saving for many things especially retirement. SO getting them to transition from the teller to a personal banker is challenging especially when it seems as if everyone is on the go. Overcoming the objection of "I don't have time" is not as simple as it may seem. The most enjoyable part is being there for the clients.
Pros
Benefits; Flexibility
Cons
Referral System for incentives
Great Job, even better reward!
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDOctober 21, 2016
I really enjoyed this role. Sure there were bad days (as any other job) but I really liked what I did, the clients, and I learned so much in terms of money, admin duties, and financial management. It can be a fast paced environment, just be sure to keep up!
Pros
Benefits, room for advancement, many mentors and support!
Cons
The goals can start to be very overwhelming if you do not plan well. So, just be very on top of what you need to do.
Stressful environment with good benefits, recognition and good training.
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Westminster, MDAugust 13, 2016
CONS-Goals are set extremely high and impossible to attain. Every year these goals are raised and management holds everyone responsible for them, regardless of the situation.

PROS-There is very good training available if needed by any teammate.
Excellent and hard working teammates are recognized for their efforts.
Benefits are excellent.
Pros
Recognition, good benefits and training
Cons
Sales goals set too high
Great co-workers and moral environment
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 26, 2016
Great co-workers and excellent moral environment but senior management and job duties/responsibilities are constantly changing without hands on training or much communication and also having outdated computer systems not in keeping with the industry. Unwillingly to compensate at market place standards. Great colleagues and supportive environment.
Pros
401K match, incentive and commission program
Cons
clocking out for restroom breaks, hard to comprehend and decipher monthly scorecards
Business Analyst Contractor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 25, 2016
This company (including it's parent, SunTrust Banks), doesn't know the meaning of effective management (especially upper level, who don't have a clue as to what the minions below them actually do for a living), job security, project or documentation standards or pay grades relative to the amount of work for which any individual below management level is responsible. I was a contractor, on the outside looking in. And in no way understood how or why, other than simply not wanting to be unemployed, people actually stayed to work. RIFs every freaking quarter....constant management departmental reassignment....all in the hopes of MAYBE one day finally getting it right and creating successful, cohesive teams. Horrible benefits. You name it. Was offered perm position. No. Just no.
Pros
Garage parking for most (not all)
Cons
Too many others to list

Want to know more about SunTrust?

Ask a question
Worked at Suntrust for a year
Merchant Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 20, 2016
Its difficult to rate this company as it has been 17 years since I was employed there. Also I worked there for a year. But it was an interesting job. I was able to visit merchants and set them up to take credit cards from their customers. I enjoyed that aspect a lot. Compensation overall was good. The most difficult aspect would have been the goals one had to reach in Merchant Services. I made these goals but bonuses were based on this, but to be fair I had worked there for 1 year so I was just becoming trained at that point. I really did not have coworkers as I was a Merchant representative.
Pros
Meeting and helping customers
Cons
Goals
SunTrust Bank
Personal Banker III (Current Employee) –  Michigan StreetNovember 22, 2016
SunTrust is a great employer with excellent benefits such as 401K and health, however, there have been many changes to banking regulations in the past 6 months and we anticipate many more in the next year which can possibly result in banker's bonus incentive changing (not for the better).
Pros
Great benefits, professional environment, good bonus incentives, opportunity to work independently.
Cons
Job Stability, constant changes to policies/rules/regulations, high turn-over on teller line.
Absolutely disfunctional
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVApril 28, 2016
Trying to keep this short and sweet. The training in so far below par that you are left to scramble from the beginning. The yearly goals will be adjusted at least twice in a year to make your job harder. As well as your next boss up will absolutely not care about you or your life; you are paid to push credit cards and if you don't even when you are doing other things well you will be asked to fix it or leave.

In my 2 years there I witnessed every other branch besides two go through no less than two managers before I decided to leave. Don't let the money fool you. The reason they will pay well is because you will most likely not be there when it's time for a raise. You will never be praised because you will always do something that isn't up to their endless expectations.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
When you despise who you work for, don't go in.
It's a bank job
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Chester, MDNovember 20, 2016
A lot of sales involved. Outbound calling, setting appointments, follow-ups, etc. Not difficult, but not very exciting either. Compensation is competitive. Good bonus program. I hear benefits are decent (I don't use them).
Benefits
Cons
Work/Life balance
SunTrust through the years ...
Department Specialist/Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 1, 2016
I have been with SunTrust for close to 20 years. A typical day would consist of developing loan reports, assisting executives with daily administrative duties, helping teammates with problem solving, prepare for executive meetings and develop presentations and coordinate projects with region presidents and sales managers. I've seen so many changes over the years, changes in corporate philosophy, corporate culture, operating systems, state of the art technology, the list goes on and on, but the one thing that never changes, are SunTrust's awesome employees. Some of which have been with the company for over 40-50 years. I've learned so much and have made long, lasting professional relationships. Corporate professionalism and the understanding of corporate hierarchy, would be my two biggest takeaways. The hardest part of my job would be developing intricate loan reports using raw data. The most enjoyable part of my job is being part of a team. We all work together for the greater good of the company and will stop at nothing to help the client.
Pros
Flexible schedule, able to work from home, overtime permitted, employee benefits
Cons
Career advancement
Don't work here
Vice President of Investor Relations (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 20, 2016
SunTrust is unfortunately a very disorganized company. I was ready to retire with them however, it is about favoritism and not the quality of the person or about the work you do. As with most corporate environments, they cut positions all of the time, move you around from job to job, and set you up for failure.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
management and overall company structure
Happy while I was there
Premier Banker (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 1, 2016
If you are a consistent top producer, SunTrust is a good company to work for. There was mutual respect between myself and my immediate supervisor and he generally left me on my own because he knew I didn't need to be micromanaged.

Those that were behind on goals definitely felt pressure from management.
Pros
Good base salary
Cons
Inventive plans are limited, upper management is constantly tweaking products and the incentive plan
it was ok
Mortgage Loan Processor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 26, 2016
good money, flexible, management can be difficult. benefits are ok/ Had at various managers. Not sure what else that I can say. I learned a lot. Room for growth. Opportunities to move in the company
Pros
good money and can be flexible
Cons
healthcare
Mixed cultures, fast paste, focused environment
AVP CRE Loan Closing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 8, 2016
Lots of telephone communication with third party vendors/clients and legal counsel. Learned an enormous amount in a short period of time. Co-workers are wonderful to work with. Deadlines with numerous contracts back to back was the toughest part. But not impossible. Accomplishing your scheduled goals and spending time with co-workers was very enjoyable
Pros
Salary, benefits, community involvement
Cons
Understanding management
I would not reccomend the Mortgage Department
Mortgage Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 12, 2016
Terrible management. The benefits are not the best at all and its expensive. Terrible training practices. I did learn quite a bit about the mortgage process. So at least I got that out of the job
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Healthcare