SunTrust Employee Reviews

Found 2,238 reviews matching the search
Way behind the times
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 23, 2017
Very backward thinking company without much of a clue how to compete in today's workplace. Senior managers are completely disconnected from the line employees, and mediocrity is about the best that can be hoped for. Whenever a new challenge comes up (i.e. identifying a risk), the response is most typically to put in more complexity and monitoring vs. figuring out the root cause and fixing it.

HR practices are antiquated. Sr. Management touts the "flag" of being a purpose organization. I just wish it translated down.
Pros
up to 6% match on 401(k); work life balance because the expectations are so low.
Cons
Backward thinking; out of date dress code, lack of even minimul team building.
Management needs great improvment
Teller III (Former Employee) –  Forestville, MDJanuary 21, 2017
I loved being a teller. It taught me a lot of skill i would need in new jobs. However the company i didn't like how the training and actual on site experience were too different. I felt the policies and gui lines were too up in the air and nothing was done until a negative situation occurred. I really felt teller were definitely out on the front line for the negative backlash of the company.
Pros
Great experience, great customer service
Cons
polices, procedures, management, human resources
A shell of what I hear it used to be
Financial Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 15, 2017
I came to SunTrust looking for a change..
To say my onboarding was bad would be an understatement. There was an initial chatter of "their culture" that appealed to me. However, it quickly diminished. They expect to have the results of larger institutions while providing a much smaller staffing model. In the short time I was there, I bared witness to a company transforming into exactly what i fled from.
Pros
hiring of a new manager that was a "roll up his sleeves"kind of leader
Cons
never had adequate staffing, nor adequate training
I Enjoyed meeting new people and chatting with my regular customers.
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 15, 2017
A typical day at work would involve assisting every customer that would come into the branch (each visit), probe for information with open and closed ended questions and offer products based on what information that was gathered from our conversation. A very aggressive sales environment with high pressure on sales. The hardest part of the job was trying to not make the customer uncomfortable and or interrogated. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people. Management offered sales techniques to improve sales goals. My co-workers were friendly to work with.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Extremely high pressure sales environment
Learning about banks
Check Specialist Shperion Temporary Services (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 3, 2017
A typical day at work was keying in the data needed. I learned the inner workings of banks mailing system. The management was stern. The workplace culture was diverse as there were many different persons employed. The hardest part of the job was not making mistakes on your work. The most enjoyable was management treating you to lunch.
Pros
Being able to work independently
Cons
Being penalized if mistake made on work
Great company, unrealistic sales expectations
Teller (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJanuary 10, 2017
Great 8-5/6 depending on the day of the week, all federal holidays off, great job security. There is a sales portion to the job that I wasn't fond of. The company often pushes employees to perform and then penalizes them with hovering and watching them closely when they do.
Often sales expectations for particular areas are unrealistic for the demographic.
Pros
Great people, opportunity to advance, family like environment, benefits
Cons
sales portion can be stressful, culture of penalizing for doing too well
Challenging and Productive
Financial Service Representative IV (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GAFebruary 13, 2017
Enjoyed working with my community helping people meet their financial and business goals. Worked with the branch Manager on creative ways to meet the challenging sales goals every month, which resulted the branch exceeding the monthly goals. Also assisted clients with any grievances regarding their account and helping finding solutions that resulted in increased customer satisfaction.
it is a great place to work at the people and the bosses are wonderful.
Teller 4 (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 7, 2017
I love to work here. the people are great and the bosses are understanding but most of all SunTrust cares about others. When it comes to those parents that don't have any body that they can leave there children there it make's it hard for me because I don't have anybody else that can stay with my kids after 4pm.
Pros
great place to work at
Cons
the hours are trouble especially with kids.
A good job with competitive pay.
Teller (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 17, 2016
A typical day at SunTrust can go one of two ways depending on where you are working. You can have productive day where the management team communicates well, teammates work together and everyone achieves the goal; Or you have to open the branch by yourself, have the manager be late, be under pressure to meet the sales goals that keep growing while the opportunities keep decreasing.
Pros
health care, paid vacation
Cons
one 30 min lunch
non productive vary repetitive and robotic type of work
Business credit card rep (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 5, 2016
my co-workers making working here nice. A typical day of work would include very repetitive work such as credit card balances, payments, credit limit increases and balance transfers. Some of the management can be micro managers and others are very laid back. The hardest part of the job is not being able to say something to a very rude client that using degrading language towards you.
Pros
Cons
unpaid parking, minimal pay increase, minimal training, no room for advancement
High Stress, Pressure to Sale
Teller Coordinator (Current Employee) –  TennesseeDecember 14, 2016
OnUp is a smoke and mirrors campaign for pressuring retail employees to push more products on customers. Sales goals are set so high that they are not possible to meet. Incentive plans are changed without notice, and employees have no idea what upper management is tracking (and they are always tracking something) until asked to sign a write up (aka coaching development plan) for not meeting undisclosed quota. Corporate is out of touch with the day to day branch activities. Branches are short staffed, and employees are forced to work 6 days per week. The bank is more concerned about ATMs and online outlets than taking care of the people that service their primary source of revenue.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
Constant sales pressure, no work life balance
Productive and fun workplace
Foreclosure Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 1, 2016
Working through my daily pipeline keeping accounts updated, talking to customers (inbound calls) who want to work with us in bring account current or payoff. Work projects that are offered by management dealing with accounts that may need to be charged off, re-evaluated for assistance to the consumer etc., talking with our attorneys, and answering emails, taking requests for reinstatement and payoff figures.

I have learned time management, and the hardest part of my job would be not being able to assist someone who is really trying and they don't have the means to do so.

the most enjoyable part is the people I work with
Pros
Free Gym Access
Cons
Healthcare is costly
bank Teller
Bank Teller/ Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 30, 2016
Bank Teller/ Customer Service Representative, August 2003-September 2004
Some of a bank teller's responsibilities include cashing check
Accepting deposits and loan payments
Processing withdrawals
Sell savings bonds
Accept payment for customers' utility bills and charge card
Processing necessary paperwork for certificates of deposit
Selling travelers' checks
Specialized in handling foreign currencies, or commercial or business accounts.
Longevity
Universal Banker and Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 29, 2016
SunTrust Bank allowed me to advance quickly due to my desire for learning the banking industry and work ethic. The majority of my managers were very understanding and trusted my abilities. Those attributes are what molded me into becoming a very thorough trainer and listening ear for my co-workers.
Pros
Advancement and the Majority are Great Bosses/Leaders/Co-Workers
Cons
Uncertainty; but this may be the nature of the Banking Industry as a whole
Pretty Decent Place To Work (Pays the Bills)
Lead Teller (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 5, 2016
As long as you perform your job duties, this place can be considered "decent". I've worked at numerous branches, which means I've experienced different work ethics of different managers. I would not recommend anyone to work. Seniority overruled great performance. Managers are given positions based on who they know and NOT their abilities to perform their job functions.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Short Lunches
Repetative
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 4, 2016
SunTrust as a company, is a very diverse place to work. This company is a great place for many people of different ethnicity to find employment and possibly a career. Management within my department has become much better since the outside sourcing of a company that review surveys about our current management. Before this, management was basically not be held accountable for their action. They were able to govern my department outside the lines of company regulation and policies. But with the induction of these surveys which are taken yearly, much has changed and now we are encompassed within the companies original vision of how a organization should run.
Pros
Telecommuting and Vacation package.
Cons
Long hours outside of regular scheduled shift.
SunTrust Bank
Personal Banker III (Current Employee) –  Michigan StreetNovember 22, 2016
SunTrust is a great employer with excellent benefits such as 401K and health, however, there have been many changes to banking regulations in the past 6 months and we anticipate many more in the next year which can possibly result in banker's bonus incentive changing (not for the better).
Pros
Great benefits, professional environment, good bonus incentives, opportunity to work independently.
Cons
Job Stability, constant changes to policies/rules/regulations, high turn-over on teller line.
Productive and fun place to work.
Chancellor Drive (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 12, 2016
Fast Paced job.Taking incoming calls,making outbound calls. Going over customers accounts,blocking cards because of fraud alerts.I enjoy helping people.Management is a very helpful resource.The hardest part of the job is taking care of customer in a timely matter and taking next call asap.I enjoy the adrenaline and feel full of energy at the end of the work day.
No so bad if management was held more accountable for behavior.
Bank Support Specialist Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 14, 2016
This was a great place to work but the management was horrible, hostile and exhibited bullying behaviors. My concerns about management were never taken seriously and I eventually was fired because my supervisor didn't like me. I would still be with the company if I didn't have the manager that I had. Pay is pretty good but should be more for all of the tasks done by CFS Supervisors. Very stressful department to work in when management is not a support but a hindrance to your growth.
Pros
Salary, Benefits
Cons
Breaks, High priced lunch, Management
overall great place to work; good work/family life balance
Teller II (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 13, 2016
A typical day at work is fairly simple. You learn a lot about how to help clients move from financial stress to financial confidence. The hardest part of the job is getting clients to realize there is a need when you have a life event or even saving for many things especially retirement. SO getting them to transition from the teller to a personal banker is challenging especially when it seems as if everyone is on the go. Overcoming the objection of "I don't have time" is not as simple as it may seem. The most enjoyable part is being there for the clients.
Pros
Benefits; Flexibility
Cons
Referral System for incentives

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SunTrust. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval