SUNY Cobleskill Employee Reviews

Residents
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cobleskill, NYMay 24, 2016
This position made me learn some management skills, and leadership skill, and it enhance my communication skill. The environment is good, and that you are doing is watching, and communicating with kids your ages are a little younger at the age 18. This job makes you do rounds to see how the building is. We have to make sure there is no residents passed out, or doing anything they are not suppose to do.
Excellent Work Experience
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cobleskill, NYMay 23, 2016
There were flexible hours, which work well being that I am a student. I got to do a whole range of activities, from machinery operation, to plant healthcare, pest management, transplanting, most of which was new to me.
Fun place to work.
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Cobleskill, NYMarch 30, 2016
Dynamic and diversified work culture.Students can be irresponsible and disrespectful. Most is OK but there a few rotten apples. Typically it is always a fun work day. It gets stressful during midterms and finals.
Pros
WorK Culture
Cons
Seasonal
Worked with my class schedule
Food prep/server (Former Employee) –  Cobleskill, NYOctober 29, 2015
I would prep food & serve meals to my fellow college students. I learned how to work under pressure while keeping a neat work area. Management was very safety oriented and very willing to work with their student employees class (especially finals) schedules. My co-workers were very friendly & helpful. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the rush of student around dinner time. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing how satisfied many of the students were with my were & that some would ask for me to personally prepare their food.
Tutoring students and monitoring the computer lab
Mac lab Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cobleskill, NYSeptember 20, 2015
Pleasant work environment with informative and supporting management. Not only did it allow me time to improve my skills in Adobe programs, I also got the opportunity to aid others in the same field as me. The hours were great and the scheduling was flexible. The attendance of students in the computer lab differed each day, but the activity never grew beyond my control. The set of tasks to complete for opening and closing the lad were simple and easy to complete. If any problems occurred, I was able to contact my supervisor, co-workers, or Computer help desk.
Pros
Hours, Scheduling.
Cons
Equipment issues.
Excellent for personal growth and building rapport with others
RESIDENTIAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Cobleskill, NyJune 3, 2015
A typical day as a residential assistant included being present for your residents that live on your floor in order to help ensure their safety and welfare. Also as a residential assistant you are required to plan and execute programs or educational events for the residents on campus. As an RA I learned a multitude of things including: time management, how to talk and relate to many people coming from different aspects of life, and how to work as a team player with my fellow residential assistants. My manager or the residential director and I worked very well together because my fellow co workers, boss, and I all worked as a team to accomplish our goals, which were to be there for the residents of our building. As an RA there were many enjoyable aspects of the job, but there were also very difficult aspects as well. For example residential assistants are there to council their residents regardless of how difficult the topic is. Sometimes there would be times where it would be hard to hear of the sufferings that my residents were undergoing. However one of the biggest positives of this position was being able to help them through difficult times.
Working with Students and Horses always fun
Director of the Equestrian Center (Former Employee) –  Cobleskill, NYApril 1, 2015
A typical work day is going to the college and working with students on the business side of running an equestrian center. also buying commodities through the state bid process.
Pros
Working with Students
Cons
Only worked on weekends because of school. It was alright.
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Cobleskill, NYFebruary 8, 2015
The job was every Sunday and could be done in just a few hours if you wanted to get it over with. Just went to the different dorm halls and collected trash and put it in the dumpster out back. Anyone could do it.
Pros
could finish the job in 3 hours if you work fast.
Cons
not a lot of money
Essential in my personal development
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cobleskill, NYNovember 30, 2014
Being a resident assistant has taught me professional skills to use while interacting with others in the workplace as well as my personal life in areas such as team-building and conflict resolution.
Assist students and Professor
Teacher Assistant for T.V. Studios Class (Current Employee) –  Cobleskill, NYOctober 2, 2014
I had fun assisting students and the professor. I didnt have to go to every class which is a plus.
Working for SUNY Cobleskill was a great experience and made me a more well rounded equestrian.
Farm Hand (Former Employee) –  Cobleskill, NYSeptember 20, 2014
-A typical day at work began at 7:00am.
-Horses were fed, turned out, and stalls were done by 9:00am.
-Management was great and helped with daily duties.
-The hardest part of the job was the long days and the heat, but to work with horses all day made it worth it.
-The most enjoyable part was working with people I call my friends and the positive working environment.
great summer job
Maintenance assistant (Former Employee) –  Cobleskill, NYSeptember 12, 2014
maintained facilities
refurbished facilities
made great friendships
had a blast
Productive place to work and still achieve a degree to ultimately receive a better job
Night Host (Former Employee) –  Cobleskill, NYMay 9, 2014
Typical day at work would be managing files at a desk, making sure that no one violated rules and working with a team of individuals to maintain stability in the building. My co-workers were all responsible and hardworking which made my job easier; and the most enjoyable part about the job was that it allowed me to build on specific skills that I will need throughout my future jobs. Hardest part of the job was the time that I started which was 11pm , sometimes it was draining but I still got the task at hand accomplished.
Pros
working with people, decent pay
Cons
short breaks, time
Fun workplace
Night Host (Former Employee) –  Cobleskill, NYFebruary 10, 2014
Amazing on-campus job. Helps with time and you are able to finish any homework or assignments.
A good mix of skills for the field
Tissue Culture Internship (Former Employee) –  Cobleskill, NYJanuary 12, 2014
My internship at SUNY Cobleskill was a very positive one. I was fortunate enough to work not only alongside the doctor managing the internship, but among fellow students, and I was able to assist them in their projects over the course of the semester we shared. A typical day in the lab for my internship consisted of tracking the progress of my Switchgrass cultures, marking any contamination and noting when to change the medium they grew on. I would then prepare more medium if necessary, subculture all cultivars that needed to be and, if time allotted, prepared more seeds and aseptically culture them onto medium plates. In addition, I also worked alongside students working on transforming Soybean cultures and helped them prepare Agrobacterium suspensions and poured plates of their medium when necessary. I also assisted another class in managing their HeLa mammalian cell cultures by subculturing them.

I learned much about the different aspects of managing and altering a experiment to make it better, as well as how to subculture bacterial, plant and mammalian cell cultures, how to properly prepare agar medium, aseptic technique, sterilization of lab materials and equipment, cooperation with other lab students to accomplish a goal, attention and appreciation of detail, and effective time management.

The management in this situation was my teacher for many of my core courses. When necessary, she would appear and assist with various lab practices, but was often in class.

The hardest part of the position I had was modification of the procedure I was presented with. While I followed
  more... the procedure to the letter and was very timely with subculturing, the calluses generated as a result of my experiment were not fit to be transformed via Agrobacterium. I altered the procedure many times in terms of the different plant growth hormones and vitamins within the medium, but to no avail.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that I never got bored. Everything was exciting, I was constantly being presented with new ideas and new ways to go about what I loved doing. While there were a fair share of successes and failures, it was never disappointing.
Pros
flexible schedule, friendly and healthy atmosphere
Cons
possible time restrictions
Resident Assistant
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cobleskill, NYNovember 16, 2013
I was responsible for the residents on my floor. Planing programs, scheduling, and being a good example.
Fun workplace.the people i worked with made me laugh
Ground Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Cobleskill, NYMay 16, 2013
A typical day at work would be me getting up and walking over to the job. I would sign in first with my supervisor so he knew how many hours I was going to work that day and then walk to the grounds shop. In the fall and summer I would get a bucket and a picker to go on litter patrol, after that I would see if there was anything special for me to do like mow a lawn or set something up. In the winter I would just wash cars since my supervisor didn't want me to walk out in the cold. Also, when it snowed i would clean off the school cars and shovel a couple sidewalks on campus.
Pros
funny people, nice to work with
Cons
sometimes you had to get dirty to get the job done
Lots of interaction.
Macintosh Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cobleskill, NYMay 10, 2013
Student interaction seems very positive here. The work environment is friendly, and is enjoyable.
Pros
good benefits, great people interaction
Cons
lots of off-task nonsense, lots of procrastination.
Helping students understand difficult content.
Psychology & Sociology Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cobleskill, NYJanuary 17, 2013
Average day comprised of two to three students a day that needed guidance and understanding of the psychology and sociology majors. I learned that teachers are not always great at their job, but others are. The management was not stellar but also not horrible. My co-workers never talked and overall there was little communication between us. The hardest part was having to teach content to students who just simply didn't pay attention in class. The most fun was when I had group sessions and got to work with several students at once.
Limited Direction Requires Knowledgeable Professor
Adjunct Faculty for College Level Psychology (Current Employee) –  Cobleskill, NY 12043September 17, 2012
SUNY Cobleskill is most likely the same as many other institutions with several academic programs. Once accepted, the adjunct faculty needs to be independent within the College Literature in code of conduct. Adjunct is required to know the scope that the class needs for the rubrics of other students taking the same course.

The added extra is that the Professor has much latitude with lesson planning, teaching and grading that includes the rubrics but is not limited.
Pros
it is a good human sciences program with many opportunities to offer the material.
Cons
communication and difficulties with connecting with other staff.

4.3