SUNY Downstate Medical Center

SUNY Downstate Medical Center Employee Reviews

professionalism is what suny uses
Patient care technician (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 18, 2016
hardworking and caring staff members willing to teach more on all necessary things to move you forward even if you face some challenges every other day,overall its fun going to work at suny everyday
Fun workplace
Peer Educator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 7, 2016
Employees got along well with management. Co-workers got along well with each other. We always went to a new location when we did our job.
Staff Assistant
Senior Staff Assistant-Department of Medicine (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 7, 2016
Help the administration of the Department of Medicine. In addition to being responsible for patient advocacy I also facilitated the residency program and worked with the hospital to secure continuing education credits for our physicians and nurses.
had a chance to work with managers
Junior Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2016
communicated with clients, dealt with vendors and customers. learned oral skills. worked well under pressure. had a chance to attend meetings.
The interviewers in ADMISSIONS were ghetto/unprofessional
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 6, 2016
The interviewers in Admissions were ghetto/rude/unprofessional in their communication and inquiries with me as an applicant. In the beginning they told me, "we are tough cookies, if you could get by us, then great." I was informed that admissions counselors do everything in the office including serve the role as janitor, come in early and leave late all the time without pay. Basically slave labor while being talked down to. I hung up on them quickly when I realized what I would have brought myself to to accept a job with the Admissions Office.

Do not work here. Don't even waste your time interviewing/or applying.
Pros
Cons
Just an awful workplace.
Productive place to work and learn
Travel nurse- Emergency room, Med-surg (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 30, 2015
It's been a great learning and working experience at Suny downstate medical center. It allows for professional growth as a Registered Nurse and as health care provider.
fun
refrigeration (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 12, 2015
very active environment, opportunity to learn and build a relationship with the patients. doctor is a great leader and the co-workes make a great team.
Pros
Good Environment
Satisfied
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 3, 2015
Good clinical work environment friendly staff people from different parts of the country so friendly environment good payscale overall good work culture
Good work environment
Supply Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 28, 2015
Suny Downstate Medical Center is a great work environment for medical Doctors but for a individual in a business field its kinda hard to fit in.
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Breaks are fare
Good Place to work overall
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 25, 2015
This is a state run academic medical center and suffers from the usual state woes. Could use a facelift and technology upgrade other than that the folks there are nice and although the latest restructure has been challenging, it has also been rewarding to see the campus blossom.
Pros
flexibility
nice place
Volunteer clerk (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 5, 2015
the environment is nice and so are the people. the hours are good and i have gotten a descent amount of experience.i learned how to operate the phones and also how to check someone in and out of a room.
If you love customer service/care then you will love this organization.
Hospital Clerk/Attendant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 2, 2015
Although the healthcare field can be very challenging and overwhelming, I found my greatest pleasure in assisting those in need. Whether it was patients, doctors/nurses, co-workers or visitors it made the job worth while. Every day was different experiences from the previous day or week. I enjoyed the team players atomosphere in which everything was based on the need and comfortability of the patient and their family. It is definitely an operation that keeps you on your toes.
Pros
Department breakfast/lunch/dinner daily, team player environment, easily accessible to public transportation, employee perks when visiting clinics or emergency room, great management.
Cons
Long hours, short breaks or no lunch, slow elevators.
Management/Supervision Sorely Lacking
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 23, 2015
Please do your homework when considering taking a position in the Admissions Office at SUNY Downstate. Management is inconsistent and the atmosphere is unprofessional.
Cons
Poor leadership, very little room for professional growth, unprofessional work atmosphere
This place is going through HUGE transition. Leadership, state
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 19, 2015
Very unstable place that needs a highly skills and dedicate leadership from the healthcare industry outside of government facilities.
Beautifuly Place to work
Patient Care Assistant (PCA) (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 14, 2015
Lack of communication.No Proper Training The turn over was fast so the people training me were always replaced .Nothing Was done by the book and everyone seemed to have there own way of doing things.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Bad Training
Very Nice place.
Security Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  brooklyn,nyJuly 26, 2015
The people there are one in the same you can always expect the same thing working there. The job is not hard the people are good people. its not much more to ask for with a job like this.
Worked with great co-workers
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 14, 2015
We worked as a team and had social activities together. Especially on birthdays or special occasions we would all chip in for a great lunch. I was in charge of organizing the birthday lunches. The hardest part was entering all the data from hundreds of applications that came in daily but between us it got done.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
This position was eliminated
Fulfilling experience
TH Staff Assistant II - Benefits Department (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 15, 2015
Working at SUNY Downstate Medical Center (Human Resources/Benefits) can be very rewarding when helping fellow employees. It makes you feel as though you're making a difference. There are times when it can be very challenging.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with the ever-changing environment and new management. However, knowing that I can adapt to any situation makes things a lot easier.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Communication between management and staff.
Wonderful Group
Executive Assistant to Chairman (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 14, 2015
It was very unfortunate that lay-offs had to occur in order to keep the hospital open. great people, great medical program.
Very busy with a lot of work
Community Service Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 24, 2015
Busy work environment and every work is comfortably working. Also everyone is laid back but get their job done. The hardest part of the job is that it is a lot of work to do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SUNY Downstate Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

SUNY Downstate Medical Center Reviews by Location