SUNY Downstate Medical Center Employee Reviews

No room for growth
Medical Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2017
Suny is a great learning hospital, but the position I'm
currently in has no room fro growth. The staff has been leaving one by one which leaves a lot more work for the reaming staff.
Pros
Great learning environment
Cons
no room for growth
Infection Control Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 28, 2017
Nice environment, very diverse smart, experienced and energetic workplace. I was an intern there, and learned a lot from other hospital staff. I usually do not like hospitals, but this one was different. I enjoyed my experience there.
Transporting patients through the hospital
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 18, 2017
transporting patients throughout the hospital. Very clean and attentive work enivironment. Expected to be pleasant to the patients. And respect the reasons their available
Stick to the goal!
Staff Asst. II (ER, Labor & Delivery, Admitting) (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 16, 2017
As with any employer, you would find that the culture of some departments may override your thoughts about how things should function. Stick to the goal of whom you serve, (patients, medical students, etc.) and things will go well. Many opportunities to volunteer and serve the community and raise awareness for different causes.
Pros
Great food choices, love the paintings in the hallway, management in some departments are great
Cons
Some heads of management need to changed or at least policies.
Adjunct Instructor
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 9, 2017
I'm an Adjunct Instructor and have had the same experience here as other institutions for an Adjunct. There could be some communication imporvements.
great place
Central Sterile Technician (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 20, 2017
great people of all adversities and cultures working together to meet 1 goal which was to provide the best patient care to all in our community i learned alot
productive work place
Clerk/OB GYN (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 1, 2017
great work place never had a problem good place to work at to develop excel skills and make new friends overall the hospital is not a bad place to work at.
Pros
free lunch and job partys
Cons
health care
it was nice place to work
Medical Record Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 23, 2017
I work retrieving patients record for review. Became proficient working with medical record.the people I deal with were nice. the hardest part of the job was carried case with computer and printer to different hospital. dealing with doctors was the most enjoyable part of the job the only thing it was a part time.
A nice environment , Great co-workers
EXTERNSHIP-VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 22, 2017
A typical day at work is challenging,, but with great team work we get the job done in a timely manner.

I learned how to be a great phlebotomy Technician I believe in one stick one draw.

Great management team.

Work place culture....comply with company protocol and be professional at all times.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with challenging clients.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when clients are happy and satisfied.
Pros
I get free lunch on 2 times week.
Cons
Intership
Executive Coordinator/Fellowship Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 10, 2017
Great place to work. Multicultural atmosphere. Always learning new thing and great potential for job enrichment and job enlargement. Very family friendly.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement
a lot of working hours , no rest
General Surgery Resident (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 3, 2017
I was doing general surgery residency and the location of the hospital was in very busy residential and business area, and the hospital has trauma center level one, and we were taking call every 3rd day ,do we were working like crazy in the ER,OR and the floor , but I got a lot of experience.
Pros
good program for training
Cons
calls every 3rd day. pay was not good .
Team Player
Staff Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 25, 2017
Scheduled patients appointments and remind them of their appointments, input patients demographics in Eagle system, printed labels for blood in Cerner system, scheduled luncheons & meetings for doctors, worked alongside H.R department, etc.
SUNY Downstate
Senior Staff Assistant - Department of Psychiatry (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 1, 2017
Worked there for many years. Became very stressful and not an optimal place of work. Administration changes every half a year. No end goal and no vision.
TH Staff Asst. II (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 13, 2017
I've learned how to manage all operations of a Department and work with a diverse population. I've had the opportunity to implement my creative skills for events.
A Laid back and cool place to work at
Property Control-Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 20, 2017
A typical work day could consist of 2 different things. I can either be in the office handling clerical duties and working on the database. i could also be out and about around the hospital searching for assets to tag and get information from.
Productive and fun workplace
Volunteer Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 18, 2017
Co-workers are very supportive of one another. The employees and management get along very well.The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help others in a comfortable and friendly environment.
Pros
Great co-workers, amazing lunch
Cath lab
Interventional Cardiology Fellowship (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 3, 2016
Great hands on experience and excellent teaching. The cases are very interesting and challenging as well. Excellent hands on experience.
Team work
Internal Medicine Physician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 7, 2016
Co-workers are supportive and look out for each other
Union position
Great benefits
Job security
A lot of support staff available
professionalism is what suny uses
Patient care technician (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 18, 2016
hardworking and caring staff members willing to teach more on all necessary things to move you forward even if you face some challenges every other day,overall its fun going to work at suny everyday
Fun workplace
Peer Educator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 7, 2016
Employees got along well with management. Co-workers got along well with each other. We always went to a new location when we did our job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SUNY Downstate Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2