Supercuts Employee Reviews in United States

great place to work
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 21, 2016
Great work environment and great people. I love my manager however it depends what store you are at. They teach you how to cut efficiently and its a easier technique then what i learned. they have great color classes and seminars that they pay you to attend. The hardest part of the job i would say is just staying out of drama because you do work with all girls mostly. working with people and doing hair is the best part.
Pros
great staff, great advanced classes, learn alot, great environment
Cons
no raises, lucky if you get a break, hard to get commision, pto not good, health insurance too much money.
Easily to get along with management as long as your willing to work
Stylist/Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 22, 2016
There's a lot of competion for customers and sales with stylist. Must meet monthly goals to keep your hourly wages so it's difficult to get a raise, but since they are so well know they're so many customers coming through the door you just have to do the work.
Pros
CUSTOMER FLOW
Cons
PAY SCALE
Will take over your life for minimum wage
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  San Dimas, CAMarch 17, 2016
I worked at Supercuts for almost 4 years. I was a shift manager for most of that time. Although our main manager was a bit disorganized, my coworkers were like sisters to me, and our store/personal clients were awesome. That being said, they pay you minimum wage (maybe like a quarter more- fifty cents if you're in a management position.) they expect you to work long hours, are not flexible with your schedule, and basically will take over your entire life. You will not have a set schedule or be able to call out sick. You might make $500 for the store in a single shift, and it won't matter. they have this system where you make a "service dollar" which is a (very low) commission-based percentage of the total amount of services you perform, but this is cumulated from a two week pay period, so chances are, it'll balance out and you won't ever get much from busting your behind.
A lot of customers will treat you like you're unknowledgeable because you "just work at Supercuts" even though you'll actually receive a lot of continued education. Supercuts will not allow you to take customer info down, so don't think you'll be able to build clientele and take them with you.
I'd say it's a waste of time, because you won't be building clientele. BUT like I said, you do get a lot of education and experience in customer service, color and cuts. I learned a lot from my 4 years there, so I don't regret it. I would just recommend spending only two years there, tops.
Pros
Continued education, customer service experience, getting your feet wet in sales and services
Cons
Ridiculous schedule expectations and pathetic compensation
stylist/ costumer service
stylist (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZDecember 20, 2015
enter clients in the computer. call the clients back to my station. do a haircut or color or style on the client. when finish walk the client to the register, where I would total out their service. take their money, and return their change. clean up my station. and repeat this all day. at the end of the day total out the register. count the cash in register. clean up salon and get the salon ready for the next day.
Pros
clients
Cons
bad money and benefits and bad hours
Enjoying what I do
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLFebruary 16, 2016
I enjoy what I do, doing hair allows me to express myself. I love my clients that I have obtained over the years. As far as my place of employment, there is no room for opportunities, it comes with no benefits.
Good company to work for
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  LADecember 23, 2015
Great chances for advancement, benefits are good, lots of vacation time, co workers are great, always busy, fast paced and tips are very good,
Pros
good benefits
Cons
open 7 days a week
Manage store, cut, color, wax, and style hair
Manager / Stylist (Former Employee) –  Indiana, PAMarch 6, 2016
Typical work day wait on clients, survey inventory, manage cash flow for the day. I learned how to work in a very fast paced environment, multitask, and conflict resolution. Upper management is eager to assist in improving for it's employees and clients. My co-workers were a variation of ages and personalities which made of an interesting and sometimes challenging, but always good. The hardest part of the job was seeing a good stylist go, but knowing they were moving forward.
Pros
Fun work environment, many changes for advancement
Cons
Alot of weekend and evening hours
Great start into the hair industry
Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLOctober 26, 2015
It is a great start into the hair industry. The education is invaluable. You can climb the ladder quick. The problem is if you work for a franchise you can only grow so far.
Pros
Great education, great schedule
Cons
No benefits, inconsistencies between corporate and franchisee
productive, fast pace, comfortable environment
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Lakeside, CAJune 10, 2015
A typical day is fairly busy, and i love that! I have learned from working there that i have wonderful people skills and I excel in customer service and satisfaction. I am a hard dedicated worker. I loved the manager, very easy to communicate to, and i think that is a vital trait to have as a manager. The hardest part of the job was, because of the high volume of clientele walking through the door, breaks were few and far between and you do get tired, but i have learned to push through it and it is actually beneficial. The most enjoyable part for me is the client to stylist connection. You attain such wonderful customers who are loyal and want to come back and see you, and to me, that was so gratifying.
Pros
benefits, commission, client connection, great co workers
Cons
short breaks, long hours on your feet
excellent training
HAIRSTYLIST (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CASeptember 10, 2015
Supercuts has a Great training program. Supercuts was a busy salon with a large variety of clients. The color classes were excellent but very limited. The haircutting classes were very impressive and very detailed. It's one of the best places to work for when you are just starting out. All the guys and galls that worked there were very bubbly and fun! The team that I worked with was amazing, Always helping each other and cheering each other on.
Pros
great benefits
Nobody knows what they are doing
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 19, 2016
Supercuts in tucson is franchised, and they have NO clue on how to run a business. The constant ups and downs and changing rules one day, and than the next day they change it again. They have their favorites, they are completely unfair. They work you to the ground, because nobody wants to continue to work for supercuts because of the Operation manager, and the general managers don't know how to run a business. Every day you work 9am to 7pm, you have no time for your family or yourself, and you have to dedicate yourself to supercuts. Certain manager's would make you clock out, to save hours for the store, but still would want you to work. Terrible place to work.
Pros
Clients, and tips everyday.
Cons
No life, work too much, not enough help, unfair managers, clock out for hours but still work
Thought this salon would be a better fit because it's busier but you aren't compensated for working your butt off
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  East Haven, CTJune 4, 2016
You work on your feet for hours and only make minimum wage. Most shifts you have to stay past your shift because it is busy and short handed. For a 6 hour shift in CT you are supposed to be allowed a half hour break and an 8 hour shift a one hour break we are not allowed any breaks here. We are so short staffed that your whole shift you have to be on your feet. I have not had one since I have been there. Manager doesn't know how to make a schedule. They care more about selling products then the clients walking through the door. The other comments are correct - it is the McDonald's of hair salons.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Supercuts helped my Career.
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 2, 2016
I loved working for Supercuts in Corpus Christi, Tx. They trained me and showed me how to cut hair, how to handle customers, and invested in me. I was fresh out of school and did not know how to cut hair & dint even have the right clothes. But management helped me and bought me new outfits for work. I went thru training starting at the front desk then thru haircutting classes. I made a lot of money daily from tips and on my paycheck. I'm not there any more. Got married, moved to Houston and I'm home with babies now.
Pros
Busy shops, good people that i worked with. training and pay and benifits
Cons
flexible with schedule, work 2 nights a week
Run Down of Supercuts stores in Manhattan Beach and North Redondo
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Manhattan Beach, CAJune 6, 2016
-Fun working environment in North Redondo store, okay working environment in Manhattan store

-Learned computer skills, money handling, basic hair cutting techniques

-Poor management; borderline unprofessional at times. In one store, the Shift Manager could be severely unprofessional most times, main manager occasionally immature.

-Wonderful coworkers; felt like having another family!

-Hardest part of job is determining wait times for customers

-Most enjoyable part would be bonding with coworkers and interacting with customers
Pros
Free haircuts and waxing
Cons
Great place to build a clientelle and learn mens cuts
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVJanuary 21, 2016
Consistent clientele, decent shifts, when I started the only thing I could do with clippers was take them apart I was finally taught how to properly do clipper cuts. Down side was being told I was part of a team and not having any team players, depending on how she woke up Manager would tell me I was doing real good and 3 days later I wasn't consistent. Favoritism hard core, being harassed every other week, the constant gossiping and talking about each other. OOO and the way they spoke about clients especially manager acted like she was better than her job. One stylist wouldn't even acknowledge my presence mind you a grown woman with kids. Thank goodness when my district was short staffed and I was asked to help out 2 other stores.... Imagine my surprise when not one person had an issue or problem with my work or personally.
Pros
clientele, decent shift
Supercuts
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CAMarch 28, 2016
I got hired with Supercuts when I was a senior in high school, 2004. There were about 6 women working at this location at the time, and all were very nice and helpful. We would have a weekly meeting which helped get everyone on the same track and discuss any issues that anyone might of had. I was the first person a customer would see, and everyone was always greeted with a smile and a hello. My job entitled to clean, sweep, organize, money transactions, train new receptionists, and inventory. The hardest part was not being able to work more hours. I was busy with school so it made it hard to cover someone's shifts. My manager was always understanding if I had a school event and make sure I had time off when I needed it. I loved the staff I worked with and still get my hair cut by one of the stylist with who is now the current manager.
Pros
free haicuts
Cons
the hours
a typical day at work was fun and busy
san jose stevens creek - Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 19, 2016
working at supercuts as a receptionist was a handful to do, but it was fun. management was great, everybody there was nice. the hardest part of working there was, getting everything done at once, a lot of multi tasking, but i got through it everyday on perfect timing. the most enjoyable part of working there was, just showing up to work and seeing everybody there, customers always leaving happy.
Pros
free lunch at times, employees and my manager will bring in food at times
Cons
nothing bad to say, everything was good
Get to interact with people everyday
Asst. Manager- November (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 25, 2015
Typical day at super cuts can be a hit or a miss, all depends on the location and the management. When you get hired on you go to a training for a week called HSA after that you go back to do a color class after your probation area and that is only 3 days, it is fun when you have the right concept of the industry.
Pros
Breaks anytime, PTO after the first year.
Cons
Benefits and management
Sanitary work environment
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 14, 2016
Since we had just opened the salon, it was usually very slow. A normal day consisted of making sure product was lined up on the shelves and the floors were well kept and free of hair. The manager was amazing and always encouraged us to learn in our free time by watching product and demonstration videos. My coworkers liked to have a good time at work, which could be good and bad. I will never say anything bad about any of them. The hardest part of the job was not making enough money due to lack of clientele. The most enjoyable part was making every client's day when they sat in my chair.
Pros
amazing owners, great management, community outreach opportunities
Cons
no vacation time, no steady clientele
Great Atmosphere
Haistylist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 17, 2015
Great atmosphere and management,has advancement opportunities but has no benefits available to stylists. Only perk would be a paid holiday if they put you to work before and after the holiday but no other benefits other than that.
Pros
fast paced
Cons
no benefits

2.9