Supercuts Employee Reviews in United States

alright
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAJune 21, 2016
I never had a for sure schedule always had to call in to see if i was supposed to work. What was i needed to be wearing and how i was supposed to look was not told to me, i had to figure it out on my own.
its a nice place to work
Hair Stylist/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJune 15, 2016
The hours were fair and the money was too. What made it better its their training programs and the supervisor who as always kind and always willing to help.
Great training every six months for new cuts and color.
Hair Stylist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 8, 2016
Using the Supercuts hair cutting system helps you give the same efficient cut every time and enjoyed providing color service to customers.
Pros
Managers provide lunch on weekends
Cons
Limited on other hair products
Run Down of Supercuts stores in Manhattan Beach and North Redondo
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Manhattan Beach, CAJune 6, 2016
-Fun working environment in North Redondo store, okay working environment in Manhattan store

-Learned computer skills, money handling, basic hair cutting techniques

-Poor management; borderline unprofessional at times. In one store, the Shift Manager could be severely unprofessional most times, main manager occasionally immature.

-Wonderful coworkers; felt like having another family!

-Hardest part of job is determining wait times for customers

-Most enjoyable part would be bonding with coworkers and interacting with customers
Pros
Free haircuts and waxing
Great place to work at
Salon Manger (Current Employee) –  Bernardsville, NJJune 4, 2016
great atmosphere
love my job
never boring
only for people who love to work with others
tips are great
learn how to be a social person
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
no healthcare
Thought this salon would be a better fit because it's busier but you aren't compensated for working your butt off
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  East Haven, CTJune 4, 2016
You work on your feet for hours and only make minimum wage. Most shifts you have to stay past your shift because it is busy and short handed. For a 6 hour shift in CT you are supposed to be allowed a half hour break and an 8 hour shift a one hour break we are not allowed any breaks here. We are so short staffed that your whole shift you have to be on your feet. I have not had one since I have been there. Manager doesn't know how to make a schedule. They care more about selling products then the clients walking through the door. The other comments are correct - it is the McDonald's of hair salons.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Horrible place to work with little pay
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 29, 2016
I worked for a corporate and a franchise location for over a year. Pay stayed at minimum wage (9.00) unless you worked like a slave and did more than 3 haircuts an hour for your shift which most of the time was 8 hours. 8 hours times 3 haircuts add in lunch and that's roughly 19 to 20 haircuts a day. My problem with that? That's way too much in a day for such little compensation. Managers are never really trained, I had a coworker tell clients about an abortion she had in the past yet somehow she still works there and another one cussed out multiple clients. There were 3 managers and 3 stylists at the location I worked at...Yeah that ridiculous and 2 with no previous employment or management experience.

My store manager had been with company TWENTY years and only made $12 an hour. If it wasn't for the fact that I had another job I would never be able to live off this wage. They're a greedy company that only cares about speed and ripping off stylists, we're educated we have a license why should anyone go to school for something just to be paid minimum wage?

On top of everything, I got hurt last year and they didn't let me seek medical attention. I kept getting answers like, wait till we hire a new person and stuff like that. When I finally was allowed it was 7 months later and I now need multiple surgeries to fix the longterm damage. Top that with an incompetent franchise owner and the whole workmans comp experience was a nightmare.

I made 310 a week, working on my own now i make that in a few hours of working. Working in this McDonald's version of a Salon will
  more... not let you reach your goals financially.

Reality of the company is they pay their stylists, managers and even trainers horrible pay and keep most of the profit and work stylists to the point they need surgery to correct carpal tunnel. My advice? Don't fall for the hourly wage, build your clientele and rent a booth. Or be an apprentice for a seasoned stylist who can help you build. Supercuts is not a career, it's the fast food of haircutting.
Pros
My manager was nice and gave me a flexible schedule.
Cons
No benefits (franchise), jipped out of my vacation time, no breaks, illegally gives your schedule to clients (thats not allowed in the state of ca), long hours, no matts, soul crushing, incompetant owner
ok
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 25, 2016
not advaned enough for me. staff not into the companey values. unfair work load, never thank emplyee.not team players.all for them self.lazy.bought lunch to bring staff together at times did not help.not productive staff would take breacks when salon was busy.they wher rude to customers. learn staff was lazy. staff was down on phones. i liked that isold products and did my job people looked and felt good.
Cons
Nobody knows what they are doing
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 19, 2016
Supercuts in tucson is franchised, and they have NO clue on how to run a business. The constant ups and downs and changing rules one day, and than the next day they change it again. They have their favorites, they are completely unfair. They work you to the ground, because nobody wants to continue to work for supercuts because of the Operation manager, and the general managers don't know how to run a business. Every day you work 9am to 7pm, you have no time for your family or yourself, and you have to dedicate yourself to supercuts. Certain manager's would make you clock out, to save hours for the store, but still would want you to work. Terrible place to work.
Pros
Clients, and tips everyday.
Cons
No life, work too much, not enough help, unfair managers, clock out for hours but still work
flexible hours
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  La Canada Flintridge, CAMay 19, 2016
The people I work with are very welcoming and are family. The more I work there the more I learn about the company and how it works.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not enough hours
Missing Hawaii
Barber & Stylist (Former Employee) –  Waipio, HIMay 14, 2016
All I can say is my time in Hawaii was very enjoyable and the staff made me feel important all the time. every ones work ethic was beyond average, working there was like a family.
Pros
Great Work environment
Cons
slow no client days
Wonderful Coworkers and ongoing education
Manager, Stylist (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, ILMay 12, 2016
Invaluable experience setting up a new salon and recruiting employees. Working with the Franchise development department was enlightening and fun. Learning Paul Mitchell color line from an expert. Lots of products available. Most enjoyable part of the job was the clients. Hardest part of the job was disciplining staff.
Pros
ongoing education available
Cons
Commission set too high to obtain
not flexible with hours
Hair stylist/Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 10, 2016
If you have a family and are involved with activities with your family, this is not the job for you. if you are career driven and only want to work and no play, then this is the job for you
Pros
make good on tips
Cons
short breaks, long hours, cutthroat
great place to work
hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXMay 4, 2016
awesome company to work for customers wer eawesome very family frendly just want something closer to home. my typical day was cutting hair cleaning up hair checking in customers and talking about hair products. also washing capes and towels and shampooing alot of heads
Pros
great peopleto work for customers were great
Cons
to far from my home
Great educational tools.
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NYApril 28, 2016
Supercuts has a great education system that emphasizes how to become successful in the cosmetology profession. This was helpful for me as a stylist beginning a career right out of cosmetology school.
Unorganized, drama
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 25, 2016
Company was franchise, management was horrible, no room for growth, too much drama, management drove stylist away, also not following company guidelines, owner seemed to not care what management was doing. Drove stylist away at least counting maybe 20 or more...
Cons
not professional
Office management was neglected
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Pullman, WAApril 23, 2016
When I quit, there were only two stylists left. There should have been five working at all times.
If it would have had more employees, better staff management, and better hours, I would have stayed.
Pros
free services
Cons
bad hours
productive, friendly, fun atomosphere
Area Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 22, 2016
My days were very long but very rewarding. I was able to coach and develop my teams to be the best they could. Winning multiple incentives from the company for having the most stores increase their revenues while keeping overhead costs down.
Very solid place to work
Cosmetolgist (Current Employee) –  Keene, NHApril 20, 2016
I worked for HK Enterprise, they are a franchisee. They are WONDERFUL people. I wouldn't work for any other, especially the corporate stores. I learned a lot about the industry. There are always contests and promotions for the staff and clients. My co-workers are fantastic! The location I worked at, it is hard to advance. In SW NH there are not many other stores around and the upper management seems to forget we exist.
Pros
Great hourly pay, always busy, benefits
Cons
Very little chance of promtion, incompenent Area Supervisors
Fun workplace
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CAApril 20, 2016
Love the people I work with. My co workers make my shift go by faster. Co workers teach me a thing or two about color and cutting hair, even tho its not my career. Being the receptionist, lets me communicate and meet people every day. Its a great environment and we all try to get the best of it,
Pros
get to work with great and talented people
Cons
can't give me more hours to work.