Supercuts Employee Reviews

Interesting place
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 10, 2016
I have worked at MJJM salons for almost 2 years. The company isn't to terrible but the managament is a joke, obviously since you would with mostly girls there is always drama, but the senior manager does not keep work life and personal life separate. The companies benefits are okay but nothing great. They overwork their stylist to the point most people leave. once I leave this company I will not be returning. It is a good job right out of beauty school but after that its terrible. There are a lot of girls who get "stuck" there because the money is good but the company sucks.
Pros
good money
Cons
not worth all the drama
Unprofessional staff, terrible management
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Ramona, CASeptember 16, 2016
I worked their for two years, some employees were unprofessional, bullies, and disrespectful. I would go to management with a complaint about a bullying stylist and would be told they could not do anything about it. Certain stylists would talk bad about clients to other clients, talk bad about stylist to other clients. Very unprofessional. Management,district leader of this store in specific were extremely unprofessional. No real benefits
Supercuts helped my Career.
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 2, 2016
I loved working for Supercuts in Corpus Christi, Tx. They trained me and showed me how to cut hair, how to handle customers, and invested in me. I was fresh out of school and did not know how to cut hair & dint even have the right clothes. But management helped me and bought me new outfits for work. I went thru training starting at the front desk then thru haircutting classes. I made a lot of money daily from tips and on my paycheck. I'm not there any more. Got married, moved to Houston and I'm home with babies now.
Pros
Busy shops, good people that i worked with. training and pay and benifits
Cons
flexible with schedule, work 2 nights a week
Fair with schedule
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Blasdell, NYNovember 17, 2016
Loved the people I worked with and the customers, management really needs a tune up at that specific store. The company offers good benefits in the long run, however, I was not happy only getting paid twice a month.
Very solid place to work
Cosmetolgist (Current Employee) –  Keene, NHApril 20, 2016
I worked for HK Enterprise, they are a franchisee. They are WONDERFUL people. I wouldn't work for any other, especially the corporate stores. I learned a lot about the industry. There are always contests and promotions for the staff and clients. My co-workers are fantastic! The location I worked at, it is hard to advance. In SW NH there are not many other stores around and the upper management seems to forget we exist.
Pros
Great hourly pay, always busy, benefits
Cons
Very little chance of promtion, incompenent Area Supervisors
I LOVED working here!!
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Sugar Hill, GAOctober 12, 2016
As a new stylist working for Supercuts was AMAZING. I loved my co-workers and I always had a guarantee of walking out with cash in hand everyday!! I have nothing bad to say about them!
Pros
Great for new stylists, lots of walk-ins, cash tips, hourly pay
Cons
Hard on the back, no benefits
GREAT salon
Stylist/Manager (Former Employee) –  West Orange, NJSeptember 20, 2016
The employees were great with great personalities! The customers were extremely nice. It was hard to have a bad day at supercuts with so many good vibes.
Pros
Discounts on products.
Cons
Health Benefits
Ran to the ground by poor manager
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, INAugust 4, 2016
I started my career with Supercuts as a new stylist. I was grateful for all the additional training that was offered through the company. The salon was very productive at first and the tips made up for only making minimum wage. Unfortunately, a new manager was promoted and the salon hasn't been the same since. Her lack of professionalism, drive to build the business, and consideration for employees has destroyed business. The turnover rate is obscene and clients have taken notice. It is very unfortunate because Regis and the Supercuts brand are great companies to work for but she'll brainwash you to thinking they're not.
Pros
Base pay, additional training
Cons
Long hours often by yourself
Busy, fast paced work environment
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYSeptember 12, 2016
Supercuts was a great place for me to begin my training. The place was typically very busy from the moment you clocked in. It provided me with a lot of experience, and helped me become more efficient. I learned a lot about promoting retail and educating clients on product usage. I had a lovely team of stylists to work with that i soon called family. We all worked together and made the most out of every work day. The management was often fluctuating however, which made some days difficult. My favorite part of working there was all of the amazing guests that came through the door. I now have a lot of clients from working here!
Pros
Continuing education, opportunities for advancement
Cons
Difficulty maintaing stylists and Managers.
great place to work
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 21, 2016
Great work environment and great people. I love my manager however it depends what store you are at. They teach you how to cut efficiently and its a easier technique then what i learned. they have great color classes and seminars that they pay you to attend. The hardest part of the job i would say is just staying out of drama because you do work with all girls mostly. working with people and doing hair is the best part.
Pros
great staff, great advanced classes, learn alot, great environment
Cons
no raises, lucky if you get a break, hard to get commision, pto not good, health insurance too much money.
Fast paced and fun work enviornment
Hair Dresser and Manager (Current Employee) –  Newcastle, OKOctober 8, 2016
I love working for Supercuts, overall great company.
A typical day the can fluctuate, we have busy spurts and we have slow times. During the slow times a lot can be done, keeping the store clean; such as retail shelves, towels to be folded, and other cleaning duties. Our busy times, it is constant flow and there is no time to rest, to make sure we are providing the most efficient service in a timely manner.

Management: My general manager has taught me what it takes to a team together. Also, maintaining daily goals, corresponding to emails and customer concerns. Coordinating monthly staff meetings. Ordering supplies ( office supply, color and retail)

The hardest part of managing is documentation. Verbal warnings or write ups. I don't like getting on to others but I am by the book when it comes to company policy.

The most enjoyable part is meeting new people and establishing relationships. I enjoy being around other but also can work alone.
Pros
Great encitives and fun motivating contests
Cons
short breaks
Easily to get along with management as long as your willing to work
Stylist/Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 22, 2016
There's a lot of competion for customers and sales with stylist. Must meet monthly goals to keep your hourly wages so it's difficult to get a raise, but since they are so well know they're so many customers coming through the door you just have to do the work.
Pros
CUSTOMER FLOW
Cons
PAY SCALE
Horrible place to work with little pay
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 29, 2016
I worked for a corporate and a franchise location for over a year. Pay stayed at minimum wage (9.00) unless you worked like a slave and did more than 3 haircuts an hour for your shift which most of the time was 8 hours. 8 hours times 3 haircuts add in lunch and that's roughly 19 to 20 haircuts a day. My problem with that? That's way too much in a day for such little compensation. Managers are never really trained, I had a coworker tell clients about an abortion she had in the past yet somehow she still works there and another one cussed out multiple clients. There were 3 managers and 3 stylists at the location I worked at...Yeah that ridiculous and 2 with no previous employment or management experience.

My store manager had been with company TWENTY years and only made $12 an hour. If it wasn't for the fact that I had another job I would never be able to live off this wage. They're a greedy company that only cares about speed and ripping off stylists, we're educated we have a license why should anyone go to school for something just to be paid minimum wage?

On top of everything, I got hurt last year and they didn't let me seek medical attention. I kept getting answers like, wait till we hire a new person and stuff like that. When I finally was allowed it was 7 months later and I now need multiple surgeries to fix the longterm damage. Top that with an incompetent franchise owner and the whole workmans comp experience was a nightmare.

I made 310 a week, working on my own now i make that in a few hours of working. Working in this McDonald's version of a Salon will
  more... not let you reach your goals financially.

Reality of the company is they pay their stylists, managers and even trainers horrible pay and keep most of the profit and work stylists to the point they need surgery to correct carpal tunnel. My advice? Don't fall for the hourly wage, build your clientele and rent a booth. Or be an apprentice for a seasoned stylist who can help you build. Supercuts is not a career, it's the fast food of haircutting.
Pros
My manager was nice and gave me a flexible schedule.
Cons
No benefits (franchise), jipped out of my vacation time, no breaks, illegally gives your schedule to clients (thats not allowed in the state of ca), long hours, no matts, soul crushing, incompetant owner
Will take over your life for minimum wage
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  San Dimas, CAMarch 17, 2016
I worked at Supercuts for almost 4 years. I was a shift manager for most of that time. Although our main manager was a bit disorganized, my coworkers were like sisters to me, and our store/personal clients were awesome. That being said, they pay you minimum wage (maybe like a quarter more- fifty cents if you're in a management position.) they expect you to work long hours, are not flexible with your schedule, and basically will take over your entire life. You will not have a set schedule or be able to call out sick. You might make $500 for the store in a single shift, and it won't matter. they have this system where you make a "service dollar" which is a (very low) commission-based percentage of the total amount of services you perform, but this is cumulated from a two week pay period, so chances are, it'll balance out and you won't ever get much from busting your behind.
A lot of customers will treat you like you're unknowledgeable because you "just work at Supercuts" even though you'll actually receive a lot of continued education. Supercuts will not allow you to take customer info down, so don't think you'll be able to build clientele and take them with you.
I'd say it's a waste of time, because you won't be building clientele. BUT like I said, you do get a lot of education and experience in customer service, color and cuts. I learned a lot from my 4 years there, so I don't regret it. I would just recommend spending only two years there, tops.
Pros
Continued education, customer service experience, getting your feet wet in sales and services
Cons
Ridiculous schedule expectations and pathetic compensation
I Love My Supercuts
Shift Manager/Stylist (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 16, 2016
I spent just shy of 11 years with Supercuts and loved every minute of it. The only reason I haven't returned to the company is because I haven't attained a license for the state in which I currently live. There is great growth for driven stylist. Continuing education is on going within this company. Yes you are taught a certain cutting technique but there is a method to the madness and you'll be happy you learned it. The only downside to the job is working with stylist that are just there for a job, not to make the customer experience or atmosphere a positive one.
Good hairdresser do NOT work for supercuts!!!
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 7, 2016
Management is really bad, no respect,treat stylists unfairly,cut your working hours as they want. Even some higher managers are very unprofessional, they do not like good skills and beautiful stylists work with them.
They do not care the stylist doing good job or not, they just want you be a their cutting MACHINE,always running the same!
If you are a good hairdresser, Do NOT work for supercuts!!!
Pros
Tips good from hard works
Cons
no respect, cut your hours, treat stylist unfairly, bad management.
Clean and well organized
Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 12, 2016
A Typical day at wok would consist of set up for the day. Opening duties, getting salon ready to open. Greet guest upon arrival, with welcoming smile. Preform services that were asked of clients. I hired all the stylist at my location. The hardest part of the job was dealing with upset guest, just because I never wanted anyone to leave upset. The best part of the job was experiencing the joys of clients who loved the look they were given. Also getting referrals and knowing we were growing the business due to the hard work.
Pros
Free services for employees who work at Supercuts, and 50% off product
Cons
A lot of changes to time clock policies throughtout the year.
It's Good Conditionally
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Apex, NCAugust 18, 2016
I'm not a big fan of how corporations treat their employees. Especially in the hair care industry. That being said, Supercuts is not a horrible place to work if you get the right manager or better yet if you work for a franchise. If you don't though it's not bad as long as you can keep up with being forced to do 20+ hair cuts in an eight hour shift. That's normal, right? Oh and heaven forbid you have to use a restroom or need to eat lunch! Management is poor and you are only as good as your numbers.
Great Company. Awsome Supervisor
Manager (Current Employee) –  Stuart, FLAugust 3, 2016
A typical day at work for me is a busy day since I arrived to the store I have a large volume of guest that visit me on the daily basis for their personal hair needs.
In Supercuts I have learned a lot since the 1st day I walk in in their salons. They're so professional and what I have found interesting is that to be in the market for 40 years they mainly focus on guest service and hair stylists advance training.
The co-workers in my salon are great everyone get alone to each other and we're a great team because team work is what it make everything happen and what make you and the work -place growth.
The hardest day at work is when the computer is down because it delays the check out of the visitors and make a customer wait is something that lower the business down.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when my boss recognize the hard work that all my team does to keep our store in 1st place.
stylist/ costumer service
stylist (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZDecember 20, 2015
enter clients in the computer. call the clients back to my station. do a haircut or color or style on the client. when finish walk the client to the register, where I would total out their service. take their money, and return their change. clean up my station. and repeat this all day. at the end of the day total out the register. count the cash in register. clean up salon and get the salon ready for the next day.
Pros
clients
Cons
bad money and benefits and bad hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Supercuts. Our community is ready to answer.