Superior Air-Ground Ambulance Service, Inc.

Superior Air-Ground Ambulance Service, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Leave Superior as a last resort for employment.
EMT P (Current Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILJune 4, 2016
Management at Superior is the worst I have ever dealt with, little ( if any) experience. Everything that goes wrong is a crew's fault, never theirs. Dispatch is always sending Ambulances lights/sirens to Hospitals for stable patients, better response times to keep their accounts happy. I've been here a little over 1 year & read other reviews about Superior, I can't for the life of me understand how anybody likes this place. It's HORRIBLE!
Pros
Not much
Cons
Managers, vehicle maintenance, accounts & types of calls, the people working here, etc, etc.
Probably the best paying place to work in the chicagoland area
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILApril 19, 2015
Management has a serious disconnect with employees. Hold overs are frequent ( every other shift). Abundance of overtime and shifts to work. The tie is terrible to wear and makes you the laughing stock of all area providers. The company cares very little for the employees as evidenced by station closings and job eliminations without notification. The company has taken various steps to move into a more corporate structure without being bothered to hire anyone who knows how to run a corporation resulting in a pretty miserable environment to work. The critical care team is a joke with the only real education from a 2 week UMBC class and further education from a paramedic with no real credentials or education to speak of but feeling entitled to critique Nurses on how to perform the job. If you need money then its a no brainer just have a plan to get out and quickly.
Pros
Cons
holdovers, no raises in 4 years, the tie, management
entry level friendly
Coder (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILOctober 24, 2015
great starter company if your fresh out of school. not much room for advancement and raises arent too great unless your friends with your manager.
This company does not care about employees
Emt (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 31, 2014
This company does not care about its employees. I've worked here since 2008. They completely stopped giving raises. They work you like a slave. You can't have a family or social life here. They claim to be broke due to the "economic times" but they buy new Mercedes ambulances and electronic stretchers. They fired 21 people two weeks before Christmas without any type of notice. There is no compassion. It made me sick to see all of those people gather their belongings and leave. Most people stay at the company because of the employees not management. The other comments are true. If you suck up you'll get further.
Pros
office staff get paid holidays. great co-workers! deb haley is amazing in hr.
Cons
office staff have no sick days, two hour hold over past off time, stressful, often in dangerous situations, they break labor laws or float pretty close, female and males wear ties (dangerous with psych or ams patients), and pay is terrible for what is expected.
Upper management can be difficult, but the immediate supervisors and coworkers will be some of your best and most loyal fiends
Emergency Medical Technician - Basic (Current Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILJune 26, 2012
Aside from the pay, I can't really say any negatives about the company. As previously stated, the upper management can be difficult and sometimes difficult to understand their logic in decision making, but the people you see every day are exceptional and exceptionally caring people. For the most part, people don't see working here as a job to make money, but to care for people and as a way of life. The company has also helped me to advance my career and have always aided me in working around my schooling, which has been as incredible blessing.
Pros
coworkers, immediate management, schedule, opportunity
Cons
compensation
Definitely one of the better private ambulance services
Paramedic/FTO (Current Employee) –  INMay 15, 2015
I've been with superior on and off for the past 15 years. Excellent pay , definitely leading in benefits. Just like any other place you find your PROS AND CONS. Overall a good place to work. I have no clue where people would say no job security.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
dispatcher ignorance at times
Medicare/caid fraud everyday!
EMT (Current Employee) –  Oak Lawn, ILNovember 12, 2015
Superior sends an Ambulance lights/sirens to stable calls so they can charge more $$! Calls that are wheelchair van transfers turned into Ambulance transfers so they can charge more $$, Leaving Ambulances outside unattended all night & unlocked with everything left inside to be stolen or freeze in the cold. Absolutely NO quality assurance what so ever at Superior Ambulance Illinois.
Pros
Cons
Refer to above.
Productive and very easy going workplace with great team members
Driver (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INOctober 23, 2015
A typical day of work consists of being dispatched to transport patients to nursing homes, hospitals, or even their homes because of and emergency or the inability to transport themselves. During the transport we provided care for the patient and ensured their comfortability. Some days we would have calls back to back without much time to relax in between and other days we would have sustantial time to ourselves.
The best private in Chicago..but...
medic (Former Employee) –  elmhurstJuly 26, 2013
A fairly secure place to work as a medic or EMT provided you don't mind being treated like a child and don't desire much of a raise, ever. They are fairly flexible with many stations and schedules and they can assist you to get higher certs.
If you can keep your ego in check, do as they ask, don't question or complain, and don't mind frequent holdovers, you can survive there.
It's getting better, but management still can't get it's act together and act professionally.
Why is it so hard to find professionals in professional positions?
Oh, and you have to wear a tie on the ambulance. -50 points
Pros
plenty of work available
Cons
childish ego-driven managers, holdovers, tie
Great managers
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILAugust 24, 2015
Great company, management was always there to build people up. Great co-workers, hardest part of the job was learning some of the medical term
Pros
COMFORTABLE WORK ENVIROMENT
Cons
NONE
Good place to get experience
EMTB/DISPATCHER (Former Employee) –  Warren,MiApril 24, 2014
They don't not concerned about there employees. It's all about running the calls n those stupid ties. You get fired quickly for a tie, than an employee flipping a rig over with a patient in it or dropping a patient. They ask you to do a survey, but nothing ever changes. Your job will not be threatened if you don't complain. Managers dont get along with one another. They will ask you your opinion, but will use it against you, esp. If they feel it's negative. Benefits are expensive. I will never go back there. ... And they pay you nickles.
Pros
the award point system, and uniform balance.
Cons
holding over, dispatchers have favorites and run the ppl they don't like. managers are selfish n self centered.
Terrible place to work, unless you like being treated worse than an animal.
EMT (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILJuly 18, 2015
Where to even begin with this place. First off this place was the absolute worst place that I have ever worked in my life. When I first started here, I was so excited to be getting on the ambulance and trying to help people. But soon after that Superior began to suck the life right out of that. They will work you like a dog, and at the minimum you think that they would at least tell you good job or nice work. But instead all they do is complain about what you did wrong or how you have to do things better. They don't care at all about anything in your personal life, (especially if your taking care of your sick grandfather who has alzheimerz) because at here they will take every ounce of you wanting to help people and just crush it like a bug. After the first month of working there, I don't think I ever had a good day after that. They fired some of my best friends there for stuff that you wouldnt even get a warning for at most jobs. So in closing if you want to have the life and soul sucked out of you, so that these people can profit by all means you can have it, but for the rest of you just run as fast as you can away from this place and never look back because if you are working for Superior, I can promise you that you are going to be MISERABLE!!!!!!! until you leave this place. Finding a new job literally turned my life around after working here. So take it from someone who worked and busted there butt for this place for 4 years, I hope this place is never allowed to do business ever again and everyone in upper management should spend the rest of their lives in prison for the  more... lives they have destroyed over the years and the people who they have screwed out of jobs for no reason, and the patients who they overcharged just for the heck of it.  less
Pros
I honestly wish there was something positive
Cons
Everything that has that is associated with the name Superior
very productive workplace
Prebiller (Current Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILNovember 15, 2015
working here has definitely been a life changing experience, i love helping people and working here has allowed me to do just that.
It wouldnt be hard to have a better wotk environment but they go out of their way to make it suck.
paramedic (Former Employee) –  elmhurstMay 22, 2015
Terrible management and ownership. This place would be closed down and the owner put in prison. Medicare is overcharged, the employees are treated like cattle and so are the patients.
Pros
Cons
the uniforms, the management, the hours, he lack of real training, i could go on and on..
Not as Advertised
9-1-1 EMD Telecommunicator (Former Employee) –  Franklin Park, ILDecember 17, 2013
Working for the Superior Ambulance Company is one of the worst experiences of all.

Very little training, they demand "Superior" service and expect you to act like a robot and NEVER make a bad decision. During probationary period there was no training, but you were reviewed on your performance and management only wanted to hear about your mistakes, then degrade you during an evaluation. For this company it is all about the almighty dollar. "Have to make a profit regardless of customer service." There is no compassion for the patient NOR the employee. This company is a place of who you know not what you know. They also demand you to work 9 to 10 days in a row regardless of the law, knowing full well no one will complain. Low paying sweatshop company. Ought to be seriously looked at by the Federal and State Governments.
Pros
there was none!
Cons
terrible management, management who worrys about themselves only not customers definitely not employees.
no job security, poor working conditions
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Vernon HillsNovember 29, 2014
Company values money over employee relations or patient care. You are expected to work in poorly supplied ambulances that almost constantly break down. Management is more concerned with whether you have your tie on or not or whether or not you have a shaved face than whether or not you are properly supplied/prepared to care for patients or yourself.
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
management, working conditions
To sum it up
System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILNovember 25, 2014
Here are some words that could describe my career and me: Focused, driven, independent, motivated, creative, far-looking, and I focus on the positives.
Pros
My hours
Cons
Amount of work
Being an EMT
EMT-B (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJanuary 13, 2014
Being an EMT is tough work. Unpredictability is a large portion of your shift, with calls coming in at any given time for any malady as one can imagine. It can also be a very high stress job, having to communicate with family members, friends, or anyone who may have witnessed the incident, and then relying on your own abilities and skills in order to provide the necessary care.

Maintaining a level head in times of duress, knowing how to appropriately handle the situation (in some instances, defusing the situation), and learning how to cope with the surrounding scene has made me a better individual and worker as a result.

2.8