Superior Grocers Employee Reviews

Great work environment
Frozen sales associate (Former Employee) –  El Monte, CAJuly 11, 2017
A typical day of work consisted of filling shelves, facing and helping out customers. I learned how to operate a forklift here. Management was great always worked around my school schedule. the workplace culture was awesome working with people around the same age as I.
Hardest part of the job was closing three departments. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be socializing with fellow coworkers and customers alike
Pros
employee appreciation
Cons
bad location
Superior Grocers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 27, 2017
Superior Grocers is a good starter job. Just to get you foot into the working business. Always look for something better. Superior Grocers has its up and down. But it's how you take it..... Superior Grocers goes by "the customers are our boss", and they really mean it
disrespectful work environment and bad management
Hot food Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 22, 2017
There was horrible management. i resigned from that job because i had conflicting views. I was not being treated respectfully as an employee or as a human being.
Pros
bad management, disrespectful work environment.
Cons
short breaks, short hours, very horrible management.
Most cashiers are part time with 1 or 2 full time
Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  El Monte, CAJune 22, 2017
If your desperate and in need of a job, don't mind being tired all the time and hungry, this is the place. You don't have to speak Spanish or English, but the Spanish speaking customers get very angry if you don't speak Spanish and most customers pay with EBT cards and WIC vouchers.
Pros
The food give away can be fun and bad for your health
Cons
Breaks are just 10mins and lunch is 30mins and there not given on time.
Forever grateful for another day
Cashier Trainer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 16, 2017
Only thing I can't seem to understand is my level of pay. I love all my co workers and management. HR is great as well. Love that I was able to approach management and to feel heard and developed. Just feeling super underpaid.
Pros
Taco parties...great co workers and what seems to be an everyday learning experience
Cons
The pay rate and the scheduling...
If you need the hours this job is for you.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 13, 2017
I recommend this job as a seasonal job seeing as there is no room for moving up.This job is as stress-free as it gets all you have to do is stand, scan and smile.
Pros
easy money
Cons
no benefits, no union, memorize produce codes
Not a bad job
Bakey Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAJune 12, 2017
Working here isn't too bad. Employees are very friendly And very helpful. I prefer working her than in fast food. Easy money. hardest part is probably dealing with rude customers.
Understaffed, Unreliable
Cashier/Clerk (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAJune 6, 2017
Employment here is a revolving door. People are constantly quitting. They can't hold people here because they under-staff and treat them unfairly, especially the closing shifts. Because they have no workers, they will often force neighboring departments to cover for sections they don't even know how to work. Whenever a department was fully and correctly staffed for their day, their workers would inevitably have to be "borrowed", now leaving everyone short handed. They will schedule you 6 days a week with 38 - 40 hours right away because they are so short on people. That could be a good thing or bad thing depending on your perspective, but for me, it really disrupted my work/life balance. The hours were never consistent, so one week I could be closing, and the next day after I had been up since 10pm, I would have to come back at 5am. That's another thing, they are always changing the schedule in the middle of the week. So sometimes I'd come to work and find out that I didn't have to, or worse, am late because they changed the time without telling me. Loyal, hard-working employees who actually stuck it out, got cross-trained, and put in effort to help as much as they could were not rewarded with raises or anything. They were simply expected to go beyond their position without any recognition or compensation.
Pros
Lots of hours, friendly co-workers
Cons
Lots of hours, short staffed
Nice quite place to work..
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  111 e compton blvdMay 28, 2017
I learned how to do inventory... I learned about fifo... I learned that you have to stack boxes 6inches from the wall... I learned how to manage a team...
Pros
Work peacefully
Cons
Grave yard
no good communication
Produce Clerk and Cashier (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAMay 23, 2017
there was not a organized environment. takes too long to advance in position no matter how hard you try. In my experience, i worked really hard for almost a year and asked multiple times to give me a chance to become cashier, all those times denied
Fast paced environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAMay 17, 2017
..........................managment is not the best here, front managers are childish and were stingy on helping the employs with hours and healthcare....
Pros
great costumers
Cons
not great benefits
Horrible Company to work for
Cashier/Customer Service/Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 15, 2017
I've been with company for about 4 years now , and i feel as though they are unfair ,unorganized ,no recognition none what so ever. I planned on building something with the company but once my store got new management it all changed.Sad to say but i am no longer happy nor satisfied with working at Superior Grocers any longer.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
no benefits, unorganized, poor management
Can be fun at times
Dairy, Deli Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAMay 12, 2017
Pay sucks, management sucks except a few managers can be cool. A lot of work to do in a few hours but have you work 6 days a week. Management never seems to be satisfied and pay isn't worth the stress level.
Pros
Fun at times
Cons
everything else
exhausting
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Maywood, CAMay 11, 2017
Superior grocers lacked being fully staffed. employees were used to handle multiple departments in the time of one shift. ie. pushing carts, bakery, produce, and meat department.
Pros
customer service experience
Cons
under staffed
Do not suggest
Junior Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hawthorne, CAMay 10, 2017
The management needed lots of work and very disorganized but I will say they have some good people up there. Minor problems. The smell and cleanliness isn't great.
Pros
Some good people
Cons
Management, attitudes, overall cleanliness
clean and organized
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMay 9, 2017
the team is friendly and normally it has diverse personalities being a member or just some one walking in as a customer.
there are several departments that deliver a great experience in and out of the stores.
Pros
good team
Cons
management can be unprofessional
So far a great place to work in.
Baker (Current Employee) –  Huntington Park, CAMay 9, 2017
I honestly like to work for this company because the ambition around me is positive. Everyone is positive around the work place. everyone is ready to work and not negative about being at work.
Pros
Meet people. A lot of team work.
Cons
6 hours for 6 days a week.
Productive workplace with unconventional benefits
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, CAApril 24, 2017
They gave away free stuff all the time with the occasional luncheon, All of it was pretty easy because I just had to fulfill the overflow of work as an assistant.
fast paced enviornment, dealing with customers face to face on a daily bases
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Industry, CAApril 24, 2017
-constantly trouble shooting and problem solving to meet customers needs
-fast paced environment
-always promotions are great
-customers always frustrated with the lines
Cons
not set hours or schdules
Fleaxable and easy to learn
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Maywood, CAApril 19, 2017
Able to work with school schedules. Spanish is encouraged due to many Spanish speaking customers but not required. Coworkers are easy to get along with. Plenty of opportunities of learning.
Pros
Flexable
Cons
Raises