Superior Grocers Employee Reviews in United States

It's a adaquate job.
Sales Leader (Current Employee) –  Covina, CAAugust 4, 2016
job is great. They work with employee schedules and they are willing to give you the opportunity to rise in the company. They could use more cashiers but do to budget cuts they cannot hire at this time. Management is great as well as the employees that work there. They have great customer service and are very helpful when need be.
Pros
Works with my schedule
Cons
Works through the holidays
A very busy work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Industry, CAJuly 28, 2016
I love working here. My day went by so fast because it was always busy. I was a cashier and there were always long lines and I just loved it. I was very friendly with everybody and they just acted the same way too with me.
alright
Sale associate (Former Employee) –  La Puente, CAJuly 24, 2016
my experience at superior grocers was good and bad
they are nice managers but sometimes like every other job there are thought who do not care about make the company grow.
Fun workplace with cool people.
Sales Store Checker (Former Employee) –  Bellflower, CAJuly 15, 2016
A typical day at work would be to cash your till and then go to whatever cash register the head cashier or supervisor told you to go to. Ring up as many customers came through your line and then go home at end of shift.
Pros
You can buy yummy food like sweet bread right at the store you work for your lunch.
Cons
Short breaks and lunches.
Learning more information and also moved to another Department
La Care Health Plan (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2016
I work through a Temp Agency, Synectics hoping to become a full time La Care Employee. I started in the Pharmacy Department and have been moved to the Prior Authorization Technician Department until the Pharmacy has a permanent opening. Overall, I like working here and hope to stay permanently.
Pros
Able to learn different things in different departments
Cons
I live in Pomona and travel to downtown LA. But I'm getting used to it.
Great work place to work for.
Cashier Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 5, 2016
Operate cash register, made sure lines were moving fast at my cash register line, greeted and thanked every customer, and solve customer complaints. I learned to move to the line fast and how to approach customers when they didn't approve of a product. Every co-worker was very helpful and team oriented. The hardest part of the job was working in the cold early in the mornings. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the summer customers getting ready to BBQ with their family and friends.
Pros
free gift cards
Cons
no employee discounts
Productive and fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Palmdale, CAJune 10, 2016
Superior Grocers is always very busy, yet a happy environment. I always have a lot of work to do. I find myself power walking around the store helping customers find items. All items are easy to locate. The store is well organized and clean. The managers of Superior Grocers are always willing to help and offer good prices to everyone. All is treated with welcoming attitudes and friendly faces. A typical day at work is at a fast pace with crowds of customers coming in about every 20 to 30 minutes. I smile and greet every customer as they come to my register to pay. I ask how they are doing. I ask if they found everything ok, if not I help them with there problem. Then, I thank them for shopping at Superior. Finally, I tell them to have a nice day. Now, this is for every customer with a friendly smile.
helps you develop great skills you can apply elsewhere
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Pacoima, CAMay 12, 2016
Typical Day:
Customer service throughout my shift.
Supervise and delegate the front desk, Cashiers and Utility clerks.
Communicate with management and other employees.
Do typical office work, such as: create files, emails, incoming/outgoing phone calls, complete assigned tasks, process payroll, benefits & HR paperwork and etc...

What I have learned:
How to multi-task and how to work with all types of people.

Management:
Being a part of the management team has helped me realize that I could take on more than what I thought I was capable of doing. As far as other managers, well it varies. Some are really good at recognizing those who actually put great efforts in their work from those who just come to get a paycheck. Other managers need to work on not having so much favoritism.

My co-workers:
For the most part most of my co-workers are good people. At my current location I get along with everyone and vice versa.

Hardest part of my job:
Having to deal with customers who are having a bad day and seem to think that its okay for them to scream, insult and offend us (employees) just because they know that we are trained to serve with the mentality of "the customer is always right" even though they are clearly Not always right. Over the years, this has taught me to do what some call "grow thick skin" and not take those insults to heart and just keep on smiling and wishing them a good day, without allowing them to ruin the rest of my day.

Most enjoyable part of my job:
Getting to work with people of all ages, races, cultures, genders and personalities
  more... (both customers and employees). As timid as I am now, I was even more timid when I first started working.
But working with so many diverse people has helped me break out of my shell a little bit and has allowed me to not be so shy and has helped me develop better people skills.
Pros
Gift cards, Free lunch
Cons
only hiring part timers - unless you are directly hired for a manager's position
Productive and efficient environment
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  La Mirada, CAMay 11, 2016
I really enjoy working at Office Depot, this is a company that shows interest and take care of their employees at the same time provides all resources so job can be successfully done.
Fast pace, hectic and stressfull at times.
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMay 4, 2016
Would start the day doing walk of all dpts making sure all dpt are in good shape stocked good quality product that if i wouldnt buy it wouldnt be on my sales floor. Ive learned to operate forklift, electric jack, to make and send orders, recieving loads. My managers have always been understanding and a joy to work with. Co-workers are great for the most part we do have a few bad apples that try to work on their terms but they tend not to last. Hardest part of the job is our change day dropping and building displays while still having to maintain the store conditions aswell as customers issues e.g. accidents. I would have to say the most enjoyable part or atleast rewarding part of my job is customer and employee satisfaction i love knowing people can count on me my employees such as needing to trade days if needed or customer with items they need to make the meal for the day.
Pros
Paid Vacations, Food Parties for no accidents. 401k, medical, dental, vision.
Cons
HIgh expectations, draining work environment, highly stressfull.
Superior
Porter (Former Employee) –  Rialto, CAMarch 31, 2016
They are always look for people to promote into higher positions.They make sure they take care of their employees.They take the time to train their new staff.
Pros
Staff
typical day at work
Sales Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Huntington Park, CAMarch 13, 2016
this is a very fast paced job with frequent long lines. management and cashiers run very well under pressure. customers often leave satisfied with their shopping experience. teams works very well with each other and make sure they help out with unfinished tasks.
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 29, 2016
It was ok. Lasted about half a year doing carts in the parking lot until they put me inside to do the dairy section. Management was ok. I just needed a job Asap so i took it
Very easy helps train in customer service in any position.
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 28, 2016
a typical day at work is just fun relaxing, even when everything is busy you still enjoy yourself. I learned great customer service skill, management skills, sales skills, ordering skills, scheduling skills, forklift skills, warehouse skills, sanitation skills, and many more. Management is easy-going they won't pay you attention if you do what your suppose to be doing.the co-workers come in the many some just lazy people trying to get by the day, doing minimal work while others push themselves to do a project now to not worry about it later. The hardest part of the job is appreciations of employees. The most enjoyable part of the job is at the end of the day staring at how beautiful and organized everything is.
Pros
management will let anything go if your an excellent employee
Gain alot of experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lynwood, CAJanuary 18, 2016
greeted customers while entering the premises, received and processed payments by cash, check, credit card and automatic debit, provided information to customers and guests.
Welcoming environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 18, 2016
I worked for this company for a while had a few altercations with the manager simple because she ran the store based on favorites so if she didn't like you, you could forget about getting hours or getting promoted. Clients there are very special you need a whole lot of patients.
Bad Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 13, 2016
The management was really bad I had bad hours working there they didn't fix my schedule with school so I had to drop out of college because I didn't get approved for financial aid so I couldn't afford to pay my dues or classes and managers were really mean and not approval to the employees working at the parking lot.
fun place to work and alot of smiles
CLERK/PARKING LOT ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Lynwood, CAJanuary 12, 2016
Being a store clerk at superior was fun and different it opened up my mind to that style of work and what it takes to stock and replenish shelves on a daily basis.
Pros
we got a discount
Cons
it didnt pay enough and collecting baskets in a parking lot sucks in the summer time.
It is an okay work place.
Head Cashier (Supervisor)/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 11, 2016
I enjoy checking out my customers. I enjoy supervising my cashiers and teaching the right way to do things versus the wrong way. I been cashiering for a while and I just been waiting to see some improvement in the pay or management. I believe in fairness.
Great place to gain experience
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pico Rivera, CAJanuary 4, 2016
Its a great place overall. Learned a little bit more about working with customers. Had to remember different codes for each fruit. Maintain a clean work area. Working environment wasn't that great but wasn't too bad
Pros
Gained experience
Cons
Bad hours, short breaks