SuperValu Inc. Employee Reviews

work alone
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTNovember 30, 2016
Cant really say much other than they set their expectation higher than is feasible to meet. I got laid off because i was not fast enough after only 2 weeks there.
Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsville, VANovember 18, 2016
I loved working here only thing I wish was there was more flexible hours. Also there was a major highschool mentality within the company instead of everyone working towards a common goal it seemed they only wanted to talk about each other.
Pros
Great team and benefits
Cons
The cliquish mentality
Fun and productive
Meat Cutter/Butcher (Former Employee) –  MississippiNovember 15, 2016
Love working with the public getting the things they need .. everyday at the job was fun to me dealing with the people never missed a day at the job.
Consistant and Effienct
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 15, 2016
Making sure everything was set and ready to go,I learned
that a good set up makes the day go by much better, the hardest
part was when you had to stop jam ups,the most enjoyable was
production was made
Pros
Over time
Cons
Having a good employee relations
Very poor management, favoritism
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTNovember 14, 2016
They pay is good and the weekly check was nice but the management was a joke, they allow certain groups of employees to create a hostile work environment, threaten, degrade, and steal from other employees without and form of conscience, they offer very little training with extremely high standards. The equipment is old and faulty. So far I haven't seen anyone last longer than 6 months do to high expectations and a very hostile work environment. If you apply don't get comfortable either you won't reach the standard they set, or you'll get fed up with the work environment. There's a reason for a 70% turnover rate
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Management, co-workers, expectaitions, and very poor training
Productive yet easy going atmosphere
Facility Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Denver, PANovember 13, 2016
I love working at this distribution center, very friendly environment and competitive pay. I have 2nd shift, would like 1st, but I have low seniority.
Pros
Cafeteria within facility M-F. Lenient break times before and after lunch
Cons
Insufficient communication between departments on supervisory levels
Bakery area needs serious help
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MNNovember 3, 2016
All people/employees are friendly, including management. A lot of packaging and labeling of products (frozen and fresh). Spend about 1 hour pulling product from freezer and stocking.
Very little training, basically learn as you go.
Hardest part of job is finishing everything on time. Never happens because your always disturbed.
Enjoyable, a weekly paycheck but the hours stink.
Pros
Friendly management and staff
Cons
Short breaks, poor staffing, little to no training, too much expected from one person, not enough people working in the department-no help, no help but also very few hours
People are great to work with
Department Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, PAOctober 28, 2016
It's a decent clerical job and it pays decent. The supervisors are pretty laid back and good to work for. Has a full staffed cafeteria to eat or you can pack lunches.
Hard working teams with limited resources
Principal - Cyber Security GRC (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNOctober 26, 2016
Lots of work and opportunity to grow and learn. Constant demand for the limited resources with competing priorities. Pleasant atmosphere, talented people and opportunity to work from home.
Co-workers are very nice and passionate
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Brainerd, MNOctober 26, 2016
The best part about the grocery business is when you get to help out customers with products that we carry or we are able to order to fulfill their needs.
Lovely Place
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAOctober 19, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Supervalu, more specially Shoppers Food and Pharmacy, however, the work/life balance was abysmal and the benefits were nonexistent. My co-workers were some of the loveliest of women but it is a place that one cannot see being there long term.
Pros
Work Environment
Cons
Work/Life balance, Hours
Extremely busy and poor management
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Troy, ILOctober 18, 2016
Our day consisted of a set amount of items to produce will little help and no hours. We would get in trouble when not finishing production with no help or hours, which was not fair. People were underpaid and got terrible benefits. From my direct boss, I learned so much! They were wonderful and encouraged all of her employees to try to make themselves better and advance. But the store management was very poor.
Pros
Amazing direct boss and co workers
Cons
terrible management, hours and pay
team
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 17, 2016
A typical work day is ever changing and multitasking is essential. The work environment is diverse and enjoyable. The team, customers and the overall satisfaction of the job is rewarding as a Store director.
Pros
job security
Cons
No work life balance
Teamwork
Merchandising Assistant and CSR (Former Employee) –  Easton, PAOctober 8, 2016
Worked in customer service and Buying department before the company was relocated to Virginia. In customer service dealt with customers and credit to stores, helped supervisor with her tasks when she was away. Trained new CSR into the department. In buying department, released merchandise to store for there ads. Also trained Buyer assistance when they came into the team. Interacted with management well. Still have communication with my supervisor. Everyone helped each other out, worked as a team.
Problem solving position that benefit the company financially
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsville, VAOctober 7, 2016
The company is a great place work for the warehouse environment. May be on of the best warehouses in the area. Depending the department that you apply for, the work is what it is. If you are a go getter, the sky is the limit to what you can do throughout the company.
I have learned a lot...
Merchandiser I - Meat and Seafood (Current Employee) –  Hopkins, MNOctober 5, 2016
I have learned a lot with my time at SuperValu so far, but I am not a fan of the culture, the work life balance or the lack of training.
Great Manager
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hopkins, MNOctober 4, 2016
I worked with a very laid back accounting team. Fun group to work with, although the building I worked in was a bit rundown and needed updating.
The worst management I've ever experienced.
Night stocker (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID, 5 mile locationOctober 1, 2016
It took 2 months to get hired because the lazy manager couldn't make up his mind to hire anyone. Backbreaking work on the night shift due to under staffing. At this store, if you weren't Mormon, they didn't like you. I should have filed a complaint with the Idaho Department of Labor. Stay away from this company they are truly awful in everything they do.
Pros
Cons
No breaks, mistreatment of staff, poor morale
Desperate Need of Change
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 20, 2016
Management is knowledgeable of the their position requires but have know experience as leaders. They are unable to motivate their team members and interaction with them is minimal. Teams are not aware of how to effectively communicate which results in yelling and demeaning behavior. This company is in desperate need of change and with the changes it will probably aid and reducing the high employee turnover.
Not the place to be
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Anniston, ALSeptember 19, 2016
This place is not forward thinking and if you don't match the look of the company then you are out. Save yourself do not apply!!
Pros
Cons
Everything.