SUPERVALU Inc. Employee Reviews

Flexible work space for associates which allows them to work from home or a coffee shop, it has been an interesting experience.
Business Support Manager - Beer (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNMarch 8, 2013
Currently I am a Business Support Manager (Category Manager) and on a typical day I work to create ads, programs, and display planners for the Beer category. Over the past couple of years we have struggled as a company and because of that there has been a large number of leadership changes which makes it hard to stay on track with a strategy. Prior to being sold SUPERVALU was working towards being a fully centralized organization which would have really allowed us to become a very powerful Retail Store chain the United States. I actually work with some amazing people which are some of the best in the industry today.

As for the hardest part of my job is trying to create programs sometimes that we are not able to make mandatory to the stores but at the same time get full commitment from the Suppliers to drive as many cases through the door at the same time drive high customer traffic.

One of the the things that I like most about my job is the fullfilment that I get from seing something that I created or something I was a part of in all of our retail stores. It really gives you something to be proud of when you can make a difference and see something become successful.
Pros
fexible work space, vacation times, company travel
Cons
leadership decisions, amount of work force turnover, decision making or lack of dicision making
There's a reason that they can't fill these positions
Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNAugust 16, 2013
I loved my customers and would do anything for them. Unfortunately, the company is short sighted and the pharmacies are micro managed. They are going downhill fast and they require their pharmacists to spend their time trying to sell Zostavax. They are in a bind and only care about turning a buck as fast as possible. If you are a pharmacist considering a position in Mankato, Mn, I would strongly advise you to seek employment elsewhere. This company will not exist in the near future and I would advise pursuing a career with a proven leader like Walgreens. Store management is clueless as to how a pharmacy operates and will not provide support if you are short staffed. They have cut technician hours in an attempt to save money by not having to provide benefits. They have effectively destroyed morale due to the low pay they offer their technicians, and you get what they pay for. Untrained techs with bad attitudes who are not qualified to enter/fill prescriptions correctly. If an error gets through, which it eventually will, you will be thrown under the bus while the tech that made the error won't even get a reprimand because they are content to work for a pittance. Good luck in your search and I would avoid this failing company like the plague.
Pros
the few customers that remain
Cons
extremely poor management, most of whom have failed in a successful company even as a staff pharmacist
Poor MANAGEMENT
Department Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsville, VAJanuary 28, 2013
I work in Inventory and Logistic department, in Mechanicsville, VA. The Logistic and Inventory superviso manager is so rude, mood-swing type of women, lack of education, and who is a manager just because she been working for the company over 20 years. She is doing a very poor job managing the department, she told me before hiring I will be given hands-on training. But her lead basically made observe for 4 days, 2 hrs daily, it was very boring, when you basically stares at the computer instead of make you do the job, which she watch me. I basically trained myself by practicing looking at the team's email or playing around with the database systems.

Also half of the thing the in that department, supervisor is aware of it, the policy books are not updated, and instead of training, they prefer employee work over-time, therefore lost of company's money.

I feel like they need a better SV, who is smart, can save company's money, and trust their employees (which is the most important thing, but the current Supervisor treats her employees badly and don't trust them).

I think there is no need of SV in this department, if the person is not doing her job, which to mentor, guide, and help her employees.
Pros
hr deparment's people are very helpful and super nice
Cons
the company take care of customer losses due to poor pricing, and weather.
Great teamwork based effort with humorous and comfortable environment
Grocery department at Shaw's (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 13, 2014
A typical day at work would start off around 11pm. Another co-worker and I would block (line up perfect) the shelves from the first isle to the last one, isle 18. We would usually finish around halftime around 3am and go eat on our break. When we came back, the load from the truck was just about all broken down. We would then take either a pallet or dolley to go work it (stock the shelves), using my boxcutter to rip up all the empty boxes and seperating the plastics. And at the end of the day around 7 to 8 oclock we would clean up and recycle everything just in time for the customers when the store is opening again. The hardest part was probably working the freezer because there's ice everywhere. The managers were tough on me but it taught me that getting the job done was most important and put in just as much work as I did. My co-workers made the night fun but knew when to work and laugh. My favorite part of the job was listening to old classics all night and everybody memorized the chorus' singing while working.
Pros
i could cash my check there when the store opened up.
Cons
one half-hour break instead of two fifteen minuite breaks.
Struggling business with high C level turn over in the past
IT (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJuly 9, 2013
This company has failed for the last 5 years to keep customers and sell groceries. This is mainly because of poor leadership, high debt, and poor attempts to be Walmart.

Many of the rank and file and some of the director level are great people to work with/for. They exhibit drive, vision and execution.

Due to many workforce reductions over the last 5 years and little slow down of work needing execution making far too little resources to execute them with reliability, thoroughness and speed.

The good news is, the new leadership of Supervalu and divestiture of Albertsons, Shaws, Acme, Jewel will allow the new leaders to focus SUPERVALU to be a leader in supply chain, and providing services to their wholesale independent customers and focus on the stores they still have.

The new leadership of Albertsons LLC running the before mentioned banners, is second to none at running a fine tuned grocery business.

If there is of any chance for a turn-around of any these once great companies, these leaders are the only chance it has.

Large environment to learn in and grow technical experience in IT.

During the writing of the review SUPERVALU did not off 401k match, bonuses, or any stock purchase programs. There medical insurance is the worst I have seen. The pay is around market rate....
Pros
large environment, telecommuting policy, challenging environment
Cons
complex environment, benefits
SUPERVALU is a good place to work for with great people.
Project Coordinator / Architectural Designer I (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNMay 6, 2013
A typical day included coordinating several Save-a-Lot projects in various degrees from Construction Documents, Checkset reviews, Plan Review and Permitting to Construction Project Administration.

I have learned to handle multiple projects at once to meet deadlines and budgets.

My Management was always there for me whenever I needed and helped provide me the tools to do my job.

My Co-workers are second to none, They are extremely talented, focused and driven.

The hardest part of my job is making sure the Building Official and I agree on code interpetations for not adding fire sprinklers within a Save-a-Lot store. The fire sprinkler code is discussed early on in the project process, so we don't have to add them and inlieu thereof we can provide rated interior walls and fire shutters. This is challanging because each Official interpets the code somewhat different, however we ultimately are exempt from having to install them.

The most enjoyable part of my job is when our Team works really hard at putting together a complete and accurate set of construction documents on schedule, the project gets built within budget and all stakeholders are happy.
Pros
people, health care, matching 401k funds
A great place to work if you like to work 50-60 hour weeks....
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Chanhassen, MNOctober 11, 2012
I worked for SUPERVALU for quite some time and initially I really enjoyed the management and atmosphere. After some changes and reorganizations, the department I became a part of was very micro-managed almost to the point of being dysfunctional and yet it could not be questioned or challenged. Upper management knew the situation but allowed it to continue.
I had very hard-working co-workers and I loved the interaction I had with other departments. It felt great being able to help solve problems and fix errors that helped save money for the company. During the first few years, I put in 50-60 hours a week, but I didn't mind it because I felt my supervisors appreciated it. Later, under the other managers, it became expected and even more hours were expected. Work/life balance was not a concept that was (or is?) embraced as far as I know.
That's not to say that SUPERVALU is a horrible place to work! I think it really depends on the department you work for. The morale and atmosphere varies quite a bit depending on the supervisor, manager and location (Region vs Home Office).
Pros
many departments (job opportunities), hire a lot of college grads (a pro if you are a college grad)
Cons
long hours, short staffed, a lot of outsourcing, hire a lot of college grads
Easy going, relaxed work enviorment.
Inventory control clerk (Current Employee) –  Hopkins, MNJuly 18, 2013
I am currently working 3rd shift in the freezer. A typical day would be starting out doing reserve checks, then moving on to problem log reporting once that is finished I do the financial qty report. and finally ending my night with mark out reports. The last day of my week I do open home and open reserve reports and under ten reporting to try and help accuracy on my days off, Its a fairly simple job as long as you can count and multiply. I get along well with my coworkers even though some of their work ethics bother me, Some like to take advantage of the lack of supervision on the overnight shift, Which is also one of my favorite part of the job, You can work at your own pace without a problem as long as all the reports on completed on time, The hardest part of the job is dealing with the -30 temperature in the freezer, and the lack of accountability for some of the receiving clerks and pickers as I am accountable for finding and fixing all of their mistakes,
Pros
great benefits and discount on company owned products in the supermarket
Cons
lack of accountablity and the 40 mile commute back and forth
A great company that has good potential if the right people are in place.
Pharmacy Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 7, 2015
I was the pharmacy manager so was in charge of all aspects of the pharmacy, from scheduling, hiring, inventory, and maintaining all proper procedures to be certain the pharmacy was in compliance with all state and federal laws and also meeting objectives from the management above me with the expectation to exceed the goals. I generally had very good technicians with some needing extra attention to get up to expectations. I worked in 4 different stores and had a major challenge in each one of which I felt I exceeded in each with the help of my upper management at that time. As the company grew through a large acquisition we quickly started to become micro-managed which sent morale and productivity of the company down as was also shown in the stock prices. That is when it quit being fun to go to work and going home with a smile knowing a lot got accomplished and I was praised for it.
Pros
great professional pharmacist friends and technitions
Cons
to the high level management everyone was just a number
Productively the best in the Business with Pool Table and Free food.
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Puyallup, WAJanuary 18, 2013
Shift Meeting to discuss safety and load level of work. Gather warm clothes and head downstairs to inspect forklift. Review doors to set the priority of the loads and start unloading after safety check. Go as fast as is safe and unload pallets of groceries. Ordering the laborers or truck drivers of dock rules. Setting up empty pallets for the laborers to reach. Cleaning up the work area. What I have learned is that people from different lifestyles and cultural backgrounds can be a team and work in harmony. Management and coworkers team up to keep thirty plus trucks moving through the facility. After many years of service , there is nothing that phases me. We work under tremendous pressure. Finishing the job with nothing on the dock and no overtime means I worked as hard as anyone else. . Providing for my family is enjoyable.
Pros
income, benefits, and a great coworker enviroment
Cons
layoffs, cut backs
Challenging workplace
Distribution Supervisor/ Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hopkins, MNMay 8, 2013
Overall, SUPERVALU, Inc. was a great place to work. There were a lot of opportunities to stand out in the operation. There were and I'm sure still are, a lot of projects that could be undertaken that would in turn get you recognized for potential advancement. Strong safety culture, although the values of the past are all but gone. This is due in part to changes in all workplaces in the country and due to the fact that the Minneapolis DC is union. This made everything more difficult but also made for a challenging work environment. Job security is about average I suppose but management had a habit of relegating employees they don't like or aren't satisfied with to what they felt may be unsavory work assignments. Work/life balance was not a problem. I was salary and expected to put in at least 45 hour work weeks but most days you left work at the door.
Pros
challenging, many different shifts
Cons
not all shifts are traditional.
debt, prices to consumers, customer service issues were not dealt with only cost cutting which caused a lost of customer base
Tech. Lead/Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 17, 2013
I worked there 12 years and every year there was at least one reduction in force. The lack of morale at the company made it a difficult place to work, the main reason for low morale was the continued fear of being let go without a regard to how hard you worked or how good your work was. There are a lot of talented people still working for SUPERVALU. Many like myself feared that we cannot find a job that pays what we were currently making and unsure that it really would be better elsewhere. My self, I hate writing resumes and I am always afraid I do not interview well so I tend to not change jobs.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
lack of progressive management.
Horrible place to work.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Denver, PANovember 28, 2015
Supervalu has effectively suppressed their skilled trade below poverty with their "health benefits" with a basic ppo at $14,000.00 out of packet max a year. A 1% to 1% match on 401k up to 1% and .5% there after to 4% they feel like they own their employees by holding you job against you all the time, forcing you in on your weekends and make you do things just because they said to. Supervision has a very poor mentality as to how people should be treated. Everything is a double standard and you can be congratulated one day for something you do and the next written up. The dont positivly re-enforce their crew and human resources permotes "moving on" they permote fmla and things of that nature. Overall this company does not care about their employees they take care of their own supervision but not their employees.
Cons
Healthcare, being treated like children, supervision, ethics, standards
Productive place to work with multiple break rooms, t.vs, and gym
Order Selector/Warehouse Worker/ Stocker (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsville, VAFebruary 26, 2013
My days at supervalu would start out with me coming and and finding my battery powered jack. I then would ride through the warehouse with a headset to all the slots i was given for the next ten hours selecting cases of food and preparing them on pallets to be shipped. Then i loaded them on the trucks and documented my load for management. The hardest part about this job was that you had to repeatedly pick up 80 lb. cases and on a time limit. The most enjoyable thing about this job was working with so many cool people i met in such a big warehouse, i miss them. When the economy went south it seems as if management did too and alot of things started changing that i did not like.
Pros
working with so many people, gym, staying in shape
Cons
having so many different supervisors constantly coming and going
Vary labor intense, no personal life, Supervalu is worst job I've had yet, but pay is good,
Order selector (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIDecember 17, 2015
Been working at supervalu warehouse in gb wi for 3 years now. Making good money, and that's the only reason I'm staying. If ur not extremely fast at picking orders you won't make it here more then a few weeks before they fire you. Many people have been quitting and getting fired because the supervisors don't care about us, as long as the job gets done. Forced in on one of our days off, ridiculous hours every day, extremely labor intense. The attrition rate here is worse then ever. Without a doubt the worst job I've ever had yet, money is good tho, but overall not worth it.
Pros
Money, people I work with
Cons
Injuries, LONG hours, 50+ hour weeks, not knowing what time we'll be done each day
Constant Change is the Norm at Supervalu
Manager (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNMarch 5, 2013
Every day at Supervalu is a different one. Constant change, business challenges, ambiguous situations, and organizational shakeups are the norm.
The people are what make Supervalu a good company, and people are often the reason associates stick with Supervalu for the long run. The "rank and file" corporate associates are extremely hard-working and want nothing more than to see their company succeed. They have time and time again dealt with last-minute strategic changes, new projects that are later abandoned, and have managed through consistent organizational layoffs and restructuring.
The new Supervalu, post-divesture of its acquisitions from 2006, will be a much more stable organization. The company strategy will likely shift from retail-focused to supply-chain focused, as a majority of its volume will come from its wholesale operations.
Pros
the people; competitive salary; bonus opportunities; flexible work environment
Cons
401k matching suspended; job security; constant leadership change
Recognizes Talent, Great Associates and Work Empowerment
Creative Manager, Advertising Production (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJanuary 12, 2013
One of the best things about SUPERVALU is their flexible work environment. Home Office Associates can work where they are most productive (home, office, coffee shop, ect...) A typical day at work consists of many meetings dealing with improving processes and reviewing creative designs.

I have learned a lot at SV. As my resume shows I intake knowledge very quickly advancing my role every 2 years. My managerial style has been finessed to ensure my direct reports get clear communication.

Management as SV let employees work independently without being micro-managed. My co-workers are fun and talented.

The hardest part of the job is trying to get work done in a constantly challenging retail environment. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the creative of my direct reports come to life.
Pros
flexible work environment - family oriented
Cons
stability of the company
Productive company that treated their employees like they were special
Shipping/Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pleasant Prairie, WIDecember 6, 2013
I worked in the office as a Receiving/ Shipping clerk . I started the day out programing pick manger so the selectors would have work to do when they started their day. I only had a short window of time to do this as the drivers started checking in for receiving. I would process drivers paper work and would assign doors to be received in . Between checking drivers in / out and shipping I learned to juggle my responsibilities well until my co-work would start her shift and help. When she arrived the phones would turn on and I would start setting up appointments for inbound loads. This continued all day long until my shift ended. The hardest part of the job was covering vacations that lasted more than a week. The most enjoyable part of the job was some of the people I met and worked with.
Pros
good benfits and working with good people that cared about each other.
Cons
short handed of personal.
Very refined and aggressive corporation - the largest wholesale organization in North America.
Sales Mgr. - Category Specialist (Former Employee) –  Easton, Pa., Milton, W.Va.June 4, 2013
Served as District Manager for Non-Foods Division for over two decades. Managed a staff of (up to) twenty five employees, maintained competitive retail pricing initiatives for seven separate zones, hired, trained and established job descriptions for sales staff, merchandising, installation, and admin, maintained customer accountabilities - including store department merchandising schematics, category performance, profitability, and budgetary compliance. We executed many special events and conferences with our valued customers at destinations such as the Greenbrier (W.Va.), Trumps Taj Mahal (Atlantic City, N.J.), The Griffin Gate (Lexington, Ky.), and The Homestead (Hot Springs, Va.).
Pros
the cream of the crop of the food industry!
Cons
having to initiate the department cut-backs over the years due to economy
Going through rough times
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNApril 29, 2013
Although the company is struggling mightly in this new economy and new world of increasing pressure from competitors, I really enjoyed my time at SuperValu. They try hard to keep employees learning new things. I enjoyed working with my co-workers. They have a new program called "Workplace Empowerment" to help with work/life balance, where its not about sitting in your cube all day, but working where it suits you, whether its in the office at a booth or high top table or around a large worktable with several co-workers or from home.

The hardest part is dealing with the uncertainty of what's going to happen from day to day with your job. Will I still have one next week or next month? It creates a lot of stress. Also the communication from upper management isn't good.
Pros
we program, onstie cafeteria
Cons
uncertainty of job