SuperValu Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

The people that I worked with in e local office were great
Storage Administrator / Zos Storage Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDApril 11, 2016
Was disappointed with upper management talked and told us that they were not going to out source but they turned around and did just that.
Pros
good medical benifis
Cons
upper managemens did not stand by what they said.
If you live to work, this is the place for you !
Management (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNApril 5, 2016
Terrible place to work with upper management having a bully style of dealing with employees. Communication was changing all the time. Fellow employees always looking over their back to see if big brother was going find a way to get rid of you ! No help in the stores and no one on top wanted to hear about it!
Pros
Good people at store level to work with.
Cons
No support
Horrible place to work!
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Denver, PAMarch 26, 2016
Horrible place to work! They don't care about their employees whatsoever. You are just a number in their eyes and will never be good enough.They over work you they give you more work than you can handle! The other employees especially the woman are the most two faced people you'll ever work with. Management don't even compliment you when you are doing a good job. You feel like you're being used. The insurance sucks and is not worth it!
Pros
Job security
Cons
Everything but job security
Poor place to work
IT Technician II (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDMarch 26, 2016
This company lacks a good direction for the future and relies to heavily on outsourcing to over seas companies. The management is the worst I have experienced in 34 years of IT related jobs.
Nice Community to be part of
STORE DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 22, 2016
Great employees. Great community to work in and grow. The part I enjoyed the most was seeing my team succeed. Helped my team to succeed and grow. Had an Assistant Mgr. move up to become a Store Manager.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Great Benefits
Senior Category Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Hopkins, MNMarch 10, 2016
Company has weathered several changes and will continue to have an uphill battle in the competitive marketplace. Several departments need new management.
Fun workplace
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Plentywood, MTMarch 3, 2016
I enjoyed showing up to work everyday, meeting new people and helping others. I have learned many things through out my time with the job. How to show respect to everyone if they are nice or not, stock and re-stock shelves, being a leader, facing aisles. The supervisors and managers were a great guidance through out my training. My co-workers were all friendly and helpful when someone makes a mistake. Since it was low staff, the hardest part of the job was to cover for people that were sick or could not make it to work. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people everyday.
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
No cons, i enjoyed it.
It paid the mortgage
Technician I (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDMarch 3, 2016
Supervalu made bad business decisions when they acquired Albertsons. After they determined they couldn't recover from the 6,000,000 in debt. They terminated lots of employees. Then ultimately sold the Albertsons Division.
Experts at moving perishable goods
Warehouse Supervisor, Transportation (Current Employee) –  Hopkins, MNMarch 1, 2016
Assigning work assignments daily. I learned a lot about mechanized order fulfillment. I learned a lot about dock supervision/management. I learned how to manage in a union environment. C-workers were intelligent, motivated individuals. The hardest part of the job was the changing focus each day. The hardest part was also the most enjoyable part. Seeing the end results and driving success to meet the goals.
Pros
Ability to learn multiple areas
Cons
The work schedules
Good pay with terrible upper management
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hopkins, MNMarch 1, 2016
Upper management doesn't care about your home life at all. They just got new cameras installed and watch everything that everybody does all day. The GM of the warehouse even watches from his quiet office and then calls out superintendents to review/discipline. Constantly changing people's shifts and just switched everyone to 12 hour 4-4 shifts. If you have kids or a spouse I would stay away cuz you will never see them. Pay is good which is the only reason any front line leaders stick around. Although if their raises are the same as previous years think a lot of people are about to jump ship because Supervalu upper management clearly doesn't care about retaining any of their front line leaders that have been with the company for 10+ years. They also give unfair advantages to those they like and moving up in the company is only possible if you kiss the most butt. Experience doesn't matter.
Pros
Decent pay?
Cons
No life, constantly being watched, no positive recognition.
Productive and fun place to work
UI/WEB Developer (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNFebruary 25, 2016
Very productive and fun place to work with SUPERVALU Inc and i have gained a lot of experience from my colleagues. Colleagues are very helpful and easy going.
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDFebruary 24, 2016
Multiple leadership changes at many levels creates instability and lack of growth for associates. It is hard to stay focused on goals and objectives when there is this much upheaval in the company.
Building tech at a company that doesn't understand tech
Tech (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNFebruary 20, 2016
Management is selling a product that hasn't been built yet. Developers are expected to pick up the slack, cutting corners is encouraged and technical debt misunderstood.

Multiple projects compete for team resources, leading to conflicting priorities.

Developers' perspectives/insight routinely ignored by business. Project direction and implementation driven by orders from management, with no regard for best practice or common sense. The code base is fractured, between legacy code powering some projects and new development depending on legacy code instead of writing fresh. The house is on fire and developers are being asked to build a deck.

Routine meetings (and meetings about meetings) to grasp the finer concepts of Agile, sprints, and story points. Pressure on developers to lower estimates on turnarounds for projects, forcing developers to work off the clock to make sure goals are met.
Pros
some flexibility with remote work (2 days a week)
Cons
No perks. Not even free coffee.
Productive and fun place to work; learn some great things about food processing.
General laborer, stock clerk, maintenance aide (Former Employee) –  Charleston, MSFebruary 5, 2016
Supervalu is a good place to work. The supervisors are understanding and the other employees are very easy to get along with. Enjoyed my experience. The typical day begin with starting your job duties. I learned a great deal about food handling procedures. Co workers were great to be around. The hardest part of the job was trying to make sure that shelves are properly stocked after customers move items and put them in the wrong place.
Pros
Good communication, good attitudes and concern for employees
Cons
N/A
Company that makes you feel at home.
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILJanuary 10, 2016
Working with this company for 15 years as it changed and grew and molded my outlook on how a company should do things, I was very satisfied to be where I was at the time. If I could have transferred to a place near my new home in Florida I would have been happy to do so.
A typical day at work was clocking in, seeing what was on the daily objectives list of things to get done, and going on with the tasks that needed to be done. Normally this meant working load and overstock to the shelves, keeping the store clean and presentable, running the cash register and helping customers to have an enjoyable shopping experience.
My favorite part of the job was helping the customers find what they were looking for in the first place and the friendly atmosphere I grew to cherish each time I saw them return.
Pros
Friendly community, good location, great health benefits, paid vacation time, paid sick days
Cons
no overtime, pay raises were minimal and far between.
Don't.
Department Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hopkins, MNJanuary 7, 2016
Leadership is tone-deaf and unwilling to show any flexibility. Poor and mediocre employees are promoted quickly while good employees are fed excuses about why they can't be promoted. The weekly pay is nice, but the pay is low and the benefits are a joke. The company is quick to jump into pay freezes and has a "discretionary" 401(k) match. Leadership still gets their bonuses though. Many people feel stuck and are looking for other options. The office looks like it was forgotten about in 1985, with ancient decor and technology.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Everything else.
Solid Grocery Company
Senior Systems Engineer - SharePoint (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJanuary 6, 2016
All companies have challenges, good time and difficult times. Most of the time my experience with working IT at Supervalu was a good time. We had many changes and management turnover happened frequently, but in the end everyone I worked with wanted to do a good job and better things around them. The hardest part of the job was the change, the most enjoyable part of the job was being connected to real people working and not just to corporate function.
Pros
Flexible work environment
Cons
Industry Changes causing workforce shrinkage
opportunity
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Hopkins, MNJanuary 5, 2016
It was a great place to work because i was able to work in the field i had enjoyed at the time. Also they had great equipment provided in the work place so we could work to the best of our ability.
I love the people here. It's like a second home.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Indianola, MSJanuary 3, 2016
It feels good to go into place when you enjoy what you do. Being able to service your community and coach and improve the performance others in process is a great experience. The management staff is always looking for ways to improve the life of its employees, which makes you want to work harder. The work is not hard, but you do have more work on certain days, but team always pulls together to get the task done.
It was super cold.
Order Selctor (Former Employee) –  Hopkins, MNDecember 28, 2015
A typical day at work would be 6am-2pm/5pm picking orders. I have lunch at 8:30 and 11:30. They would sometimes make us stay 3 more hours after hour 8 hours.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Two 15 mins breaks, not enough to get warm. Didn't have some benefits as full timers, we were called VR's you work your way up to get the benefits, not good at all. Couldn't ask for days of or else we would accumulate points.