SuperValu Inc. Employee Reviews

Okay for a part time job
Self Checkout Host (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 6, 2017
It's a decent job for a high schooler and college student. Hours are pretty flexible. Usually you don't have a set schedule though unless you're full time or a CSM/Scot. The pay is alright, but if you can do multiple departments like me you don't really get the money you deserve. Some days are slow but since my store is one of the busiest in the state, it's constantly stressful because of it being so busy and customers being rude/lack common sense. Ever since I graduated high school I basically live here. I used to hate cashiering but now on the rare occasion I have to do it, it's a nice break from working the self checkouts. Most of the people working are people who have been there for 10+ years or high schoolers that don't really care about their job
Pros
Decent pay, flexible hours, job security
Cons
Short breaks, managment is not the best, have to work so many hours before you get health insurance, not much room to move up, new pay scale means new workers will make more than you in less time
Good
Shipping Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Denver, PAJune 4, 2017
Work days are long (aprox 14 hour days), cold environment and very fast paced. Supervisors are good (better than other warehouses I know) but still they need to make a lot of changes.
productive worker
Bagger (Former Employee) –  philippinsJune 1, 2017
this is supermarket job which is happy also to work cause it is enjoyable can work easily with the help of some co workers and after the duty where having a tool box meeting for tomorrow for our job routine.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short break
Productive Hard working
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Blaine, MNMay 30, 2017
My opinion on the company SuperValu Inc. Is that I enjoyed working there sometimes is was a fun and exciting job with good coworkers around and showed me a great job experience.
fun environment
DELI ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNMay 27, 2017
loved the co-workers I was working with, the management understood and stood up for you when needed. Good health coverage as well. It was great to have one on one connections with your customers.
A fine job for students, but not as a career choice
Deli Service Provider (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MN 56001May 26, 2017
I would consider this job to be fine for students currently taking classes, as you don't need to take any work home with you and it has mainly part time offerings. However, the relatively low wages and stressful work environment, combined with the lack of noticeable or significant advancement into a career choice, make this only ideal as a temporary job that you can take while achieving other endeavors.
Pros
Flexibility for scheduling
Cons
Stressful work environment, few advancement opportunities.
Horrible Place to Work
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDMay 26, 2017
I would live under a bridge before working for SuperValu again. They do not care about their employees, in the least. The last five years of my employment had a cloud of wondering when I would be part of the most current layoffs.
Worst GM and senior managers ever
Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Mpls dcMay 25, 2017
Not professional in any way, dysfunctional GM and senior level managers, how we even stay in business is unbelievable. They blame everyone but themselves, and take 0 responsibility for their own dysfunction. They are the exact opposite of effective and strong leadership, makes me wonder where they went to school , if they did at all, and finally no ethics. We could do a lot better if they were no longer here!
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Dysfunctional GM and Team
Preparing for Work.
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsville, VAMay 25, 2017
I get to work and go to my work station. Then I find out what part of the warehouse I will be for the day. I then gather up my tools and clean the particular section for the day.
Pros
Cons
Great healthcare
Great company to work for
Facility Risk/Sanitation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  MississippiMay 25, 2017
If you are looking for a place where you can progress this is the place to work. Excellent benefits and career progression is a plus. Flexibility and great work ethics.
Pros
Great work ethics
Cons
nothing bad to say
Supervalu
Director, Labor Relations (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILMay 24, 2017
I had excellent management while at Supervalu. The compensation was below average, mainly because of the competitive environment the company is and still is facing.
Pros
Excellent Functional Leadership
Cons
below average pay
Got me Through College
Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Highland, ILMay 23, 2017
Overall I really enjoyed working for Schuette's Market, previously SuperValu. I would even consider working there again if they paid a decent wage or didn't constantly move managers around. Grocery store work was easy and enjoyable for me. Stocking shelves, working the cash register, closing and counting drawers at night, even moping the floor and cleaning the bathrooms. I did everything there which was fine by me, I don't like sitting around. But during my 6 years there my hourly pay only increased by $2. Each year the minimum wage went up I would be just above it. So the employees that started after me were making about the same amount of money as me. I understand the market was rough since a Walmart had recently moved in. But, don't tell me money is tight when you drive in with your fancy luxury car and I can barely pay for gas. I just wish I had been appreciated for all the hard work I did.
Made friends at work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, MNMay 22, 2017
Some people were extremely understanding, but most people had a negative attitude as well as lack of motivation and ambition in life. Management was very understanding about having enough time for school, but when it comes to other reasons for requesting time off, they aren't as lenient. I liked knowing my schedule 2 weeks in advance but the schedule itself was chaotic. I almost never had the same schedule 2 weeks in a row and they will lower hours to 5 hours per week and have supervisors banter someone rather than fire them.
Ok place
Selector/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 21, 2017
Well had ok time there fast paced work if u cant hit standard not for u too do this work u need get 100% or better u can get incentive if above expected
Pros
Cons
Short lunch
Wont work with your schedule needs
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Crystal, MNMay 18, 2017
I was available to work any time when i was pregnant. And then i had my child and they refused to let me switch my availability to different hours. I cant work whenever with a child. I couldn't afford to pay for daycare and i couldn't work during the middle of the day because it cost more for me to bring my son to a babysitter and pay the babysitter than i made in a month. And since they wouldn't work with me so i could switch my shifts so i was opposite my husband to have free childcare. So they were not family friendly, they said its not their problem that i cant get daycare. So i quit. They were incredibly rude.
Pros
discounts on groceries.
Exactly what you'd expect
Cashier/Floral Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNMay 18, 2017
working at Cub is exactly how you would expect working at a grocery store to be. Long hours, lots of lifting, great options for food on break.overall it was an average job.
Productive Workplace
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Savage, MNMay 18, 2017
A typical day at work consisted of cart pushing, stocking, cleaning, and customer service. Management was very informative and straight forward. Workplace culture was fair. Hardest part of the job was bad weather and the best part was coworkers.
Independent work place, just you and customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 18, 2017
A typical day at work would be, signing in to your drawer, ringing up customers. At certain times of the day, it would get really busy, the groceries got longer, and the lines were even longer. I learned how to move very fast in a accurate way. The management was very bad, the managers were always in their office, or just standing there looking at the 2 cashiers of 50 people in line. The culture was the same there was no big differences. The hardest part of the job was to refund items if the customer didnt want something, or didnt have enough money, didnt bring enough ect. The most enjoyable part actually was scanning the items and seeing how happy or surprised the customers get when they see that you are finished ringing in all of their items so quickly.
Pros
Wasnt a fast food place
Cons
Not enough hours
productive
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Denver, PAMay 17, 2017
really heavy volume of work. Within the 6 months I learned Inventory, receiving, Invoicing and set-up.
I knew how to do inventory for the fresh department.
Answer calls and do some receiving.
Pros
lunch
Cons
healthcare
Good for a temp job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMay 12, 2017
I didn't work here very long, only for a season while I was on break from College. Overall it was just like any other cashier job, simple and to the point.
Pros
Easy, low stress
Cons
Staff hardly knows each other

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SuperValu Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval