SUPERVALU INC.

SUPERVALU INC. Employer Reviews

Error Corrector (Former Employee), Denver, PAAugust 29, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: the metal grating that we had to walk on
Working in the Grocery dept., T2 unit, was a good learning experience. The management in that dept. were easy to interact with, listened to what you had to say.
Not a fun place to work
forklift, receiver, stocker, repleneshment (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INAugust 27, 2013
Good money and benefits, management was more concerned about climbing the corporate ladder and achieving there numbers at the cost of customer service or employees.
The people are great, the company is not
DIRECTOR II (Current Employee), Eden Prairie, MNAugust 21, 2013
Pros: workplace empowerment (i.e., flexible work environment)
Cons: no 401k, no raises, no bonuses, numerous leadership changes
The people working at Supervalu are fantastic. However, upper management at the c-level is in constant churn and the corporate direction is always changing... usually at the expense of the associates. No 401k match, no raises, no bonuses, and high-ranking executives still receive huge signing bonuses, stock options, and pay-to-stay checks.
Don't have a clear path
Distribution (Former Employee), HopkinsAugust 21, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: benefits are bad, benefits were taken away, no direction
Our goals and objectives are changing every day and no one seems to know what will be on our plate next
It's good working for Supervalu
BSA/ Sr. Microstrategy Developer (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNAugust 20, 2013
Leaned MSTR Admin tasks. Its good to be part of the admin team to understand about the migration which happened from 8.0.1 to 9.2.
Go to work, go home
Technical Buyer (Current Employee), Hopkins, MNAugust 20, 2013
It is a place where you you go to work, when you are done with your day you go home and do it all over again the next day.
We all have to eat, I prefer to shop here.
Cashier (Former Employee), Alton, ILAugust 17, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule, fabulous co-workers, small discount on groceries
An average shift at Shop N Save included customer service, using a cash drawer, and standing for 5-8 hrs.
There's a reason that they can't fill these positions
Pharmacist (Former Employee), Mankato, MNAugust 16, 2013
Pros: the few customers that remain
Cons: extremely poor management, most of whom have failed in a successful company even as a staff pharmacist
I loved my customers and would do anything for them. Unfortunately, the company is short sighted and the pharmacies are micro managed. They are going downhill fast and they require their pharmacists to spend their time trying to sell Zostavax. They are in a bind and only care about turning a buck as fast as possible. If you are a pharmacist considering – more... a position in Mankato, Mn, I would strongly advise you to seek employment elsewhere. This company will not exist in the near future and I would advise pursuing a career with a proven leader like Walgreens. Store management is clueless as to how a pharmacy operates and will not provide support if you are short staffed. They have cut technician hours in an attempt to save money by not having to provide benefits. They have effectively destroyed morale due to the low pay they offer their technicians, and you get what they pay for. Untrained techs with bad attitudes who are not qualified to enter/fill prescriptions correctly. If an error gets through, which it eventually will, you will be thrown under the bus while the tech that made the error won't even get a reprimand because they are content to work for a pittance. Good luck in your search and I would avoid this failing company like the plague. – less
Productive company
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 12, 2013
Pros: meeting different people
Cons: hours
Customer service is the key to be successful in the grocery industry and having full stock.
Failing business model, Old-School Ways of Thinking
Project Coordinator/Department Specialist (Former Employee), Portland, ORAugust 1, 2013
Pros: paychecks
Cons: failing business model, failure to attract talent, low moral.
The Traditional Grocery Model is failing and though management is not specifically to blame, the company can't attract or keep the talent it needs to recover in this new polarized Grocery Landscape.

Don't bother even going in for an interview.
Everything is always changing at Supervalu.
Sr. Department Specialist/Marketing (Former Employee), EVIC- Eden Prairie, MNAugust 1, 2013
There have been 3 CEOs in the past 2 years. Each one makes a lot of changes and removes perks. The result is a lot of unhappy workers. There are some really good people trying their best to do a good job but there is little incentive.
Nightmare, everyday
Assistant Store Director (Former Employee), Middlesex, MDJuly 26, 2013
Pros: virtually none
Managers and upper management is a joke. I have worked here for two years. The state of the company is very poor. Morale is low.
Challenging work enviroment
Regional Loss Prevention Manager (Current Employee), East CoastJuly 22, 2013
Pros: challenging work
Cons: very little advancement oppertunities
The typical work day involved monitoring the sales floor for external theft and conducting data mining through exception based reporting.
Changes - leaders, structure, ownership
Employee (Current Employee), Eden Prairie, MNJuly 19, 2013
Pros: fair salary
Cons: company instability, frequent management changes
- 4 CEO's in the past 5 years and many leadership and structure changes
- low morale / negative attitudes
- instability / no job security
- empty promises by management
- have been told that we need to look out for ourselves because the company isn't looking out for us
- on the positive side - co-workers who are hard working and supportive of each other – more... (most enjoyable part of job)
- hardest part of the job - have had several manager changes over the years, each with different mgmt styles that we need to conform to and adjustment periods that can effect work flow and after lay offs remaining staff is expected to do the work of those that have gone and their own in many cases – less
Easy going, relaxed work enviorment.
Inventory control clerk (Current Employee), Hopkins, MNJuly 18, 2013
Pros: great benefits and discount on company owned products in the supermarket
Cons: lack of accountablity and the 40 mile commute back and forth
I am currently working 3rd shift in the freezer. A typical day would be starting out doing reserve checks, then moving on to problem log reporting once that is finished I do the financial qty report. and finally ending my night with mark out reports. The last day of my week I do open home and open reserve reports and under ten reporting to try and help – more... accuracy on my days off, Its a fairly simple job as long as you can count and multiply. I get along well with my coworkers even though some of their work ethics bother me, Some like to take advantage of the lack of supervision on the overnight shift, Which is also one of my favorite part of the job, You can work at your own pace without a problem as long as all the reports on completed on time, The hardest part of the job is dealing with the -30 temperature in the freezer, and the lack of accountability for some of the receiving clerks and pickers as I am accountable for finding and fixing all of their mistakes, – less
Provided excellent opportunity for growth
Vice President - Talent Management (Former Employee), Eden Prairie, MNJuly 16, 2013
Good company to learn about the grocery retail and wholesale industry and use one's skills to drive sales through individual and team performance.
Productive and fast pace workplace
billing clerk (Former Employee), Indianola, MSJuly 10, 2013
Pros: i
I downloaded work into a vocollect system for order selectors to pick. I set up the dock sheet, put load controlls togethers, and invoiced loads after they were picked.
Struggling business with high C level turn over in the past
IT (Current Employee), Boise, IDJuly 9, 2013
Pros: large environment, telecommuting policy, challenging environment
Cons: complex environment, benefits
This company has failed for the last 5 years to keep customers and sell groceries. This is mainly because of poor leadership, high debt, and poor attempts to be Walmart.

Many of the rank and file and some of the director level are great people to work with/for. They exhibit drive, vision and execution.

Due to many workforce reductions over the last – more... 5 years and little slow down of work needing execution making far too little resources to execute them with reliability, thoroughness and speed.

The good news is, the new leadership of Supervalu and divestiture of Albertsons, Shaws, Acme, Jewel will allow the new leaders to focus SUPERVALU to be a leader in supply chain, and providing services to their wholesale independent customers and focus on the stores they still have.

The new leadership of Albertsons LLC running the before mentioned banners, is second to none at running a fine tuned grocery business.

If there is of any chance for a turn-around of any these once great companies, these leaders are the only chance it has.

Large environment to learn in and grow technical experience in IT.

During the writing of the review SUPERVALU did not off 401k match, bonuses, or any stock purchase programs. There medical insurance is the worst I have seen. The pay is around market rate.... – less
Was a good place to work until new managesment took over
Department Specialist (Former Employee), Chanhassen, MNJuly 2, 2013
I enjoy the work I was doing, auditing business systems and making decisions whether or not there was money due to the company. I was allowed to create chargesbacks to recover the money.
A place that offers a chance to grow.
Sales & Promotion Specialist - Produce & Floral (Current Employee), Eden Prairie, MNJuly 1, 2013
I have enjoyed working at Supervalu quite well. It offers a chance for advancement while maintaining work and home life balance.

About SUPERVALU INC.

After a disastrous flirtation with grocery retail, SUPERVALU is returning to its wholesale roots. While the┬ápurchase of more than – Read more