Supplemental Health Care

Supplemental Health Care Employee Reviews

Non Adherence to ICARE Values
AREA MANAGER (Former Employee) –  UndisclosedJuly 24, 2012
I had the opportunity to join the Supplemental Health Care team for only a short time as a member of their middle management team. My experience being an internal employee within SHC was bitter sweet. There are both good and bad as with any job or position. SHC is great on compliance and credentialing of their clinicians, thus delivering a solid service. SHC also has done a great job in branding themselves as one of the better therapy staffing companies in the nation. Where Supplemental falls short overshadows the good attributes and casts a negative image of the organization from an insiders prospective. Supplemental does not adhere to their ICARE values when it comes to their team members. Upper management consists of a group that is not easily embracing of others into their circle resulting in a hierarchy which does not promote "servant leadership". Serving the needs, desires and having your direction dictated to you in a way that leaves their teammates disgruntled, unmotivated and fearful. My point here is that the Executive Leadership team does not allow for autonomy in job function, rather, expects a robotic like delivery of services. SHC is also a very metrics driven organization. So much so that each and every activity is measured, dissected, analyzed, time stamped and reviewed each and every day/week. There is a healthy amount of oversight by a employer and then there is overboard which creates a fearful, unmotivated and weak recruiting/staffing machine. Many of the internal staff are smart, more than competent and could be great employees and promoters of the organization.  more... However, their shortcomings are always highlighted and positive recognition is almost non existent. This posters suggestion is a total overhaul of the Executive Leadership team as the business is built on a house of cards. Through the unhealthy amount of attrition Supplemental see's results in clinicians and clients abandoning the utilization of SHC's services as the internal workings are diseased. In hindsight, this poster would not have taken the opportunity to work with this group of leaders and would strongly suggest that others who may be considering SHC as a career move or option, steer clear. There are many organizations within the healthcare staffing arena that can and will provide you with the support, advancement opportunities based on performance, a strong culture in which to thrive and enjoy and ultimately, a place to call home for many years to come.  less
Pros
strong branding, solid clinicians, decent compensation, good benefits
Cons
bad culture, weak leadership, too metrics driven, unhealthy attrition levels, spotlight on shortcomings, unmotivated internal staff, poor upward mobility.
Worst decision I have ever made in my entire professional career!!
Undisclosed (Former Employee) –  UndisclosedJanuary 22, 2016
And I’ve made a few.
If I could give them zero stars on here, I would. I was totally disillusioned with the entirel staff of my local office. First, make sure that you find out ALL of the details in advance. They are quite deceptive in their recruiting. There are things that the recruiter won't tell you, like you need to maintain 30 hours a week to get and maintain your benefits, and that they only pay you half of your hourly salary for orientation, among many other things that they don’t tell you. My first assignment I was given a rate, and was led to believe that it was a per hour rate, not a per visit rate. Until my paychecks were considerably less than the hours that I submitted. It was only then that the ‘marketing manager’ told me “oh yes, this is a per visit rate”. The second assignment was a complete disaster, especially considering that it was supposed to be with one of the “top notch” health systems in my metropolitan area. You are then told you are guaranteed hours, but you get questioned and threatened not to get paid when the agency is unresponsive to your requests to fill your schedule. They are also quite unresponsive to issues. The 'premier' agency that they place you with has horrible communication, offered no orientation, and I had to learn their documentation system on my own. And then, they won’t pay you for doing the job of another person on YOUR OWN TIME. You need to teach yourself their policies, their computer system, and everything else. When you ask questions, you get no answers, in fact, you get no response at all. When you attempt to discuss
  more... issues with Supplemental, they make it out to sound a s though you are the problem. Not to mention-they will also change your hours and reduce your pay without your knowledge.
When management states they were there to support the nurses, it was only lip service. No professional courtesy. Just trying to get quotas filled for commissions. We as nurses should never put out more effort into follow up than the agencies do. I made multiple attempts to reach out to the office staff and the marketing manager. I was told that I would get my calls returned and never did. Emails were rarely answered. They were definitely NOT an advocate for me. The marketing manager was more concerned with maintaining her personal friendship with the director of the agency. If you value your license, and your sanity, STAY AWAY!! It was an incredibly frustrating, stressful, and negative experience.
Pros
The patients that i served in my time here
Cons
The whole agency is a con
Supplemental gives you fun goals to work toward!
Sr. Specialized Staffing (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OklahomaFebruary 19, 2013
Supplemental Health Care partners with thousands of acute care, long-term acute care, skilled nursing, outpatient, school, government, and correctional facilities across the country, providing them with the highly skilled nurses and therapists they need to deliver quality patient care. My business relations included the entire state of Oklahoma with a focus on small counties and towns where quality skilled care was limited and difficult for my clients to maintain. Marketing packages that were profitable to both my client and my employee were a strong suit and in such, rewarding to put together. My solutions for my clients were not about placing more people at their facilities; it’s making sure they have the clinicians they need, in place when they needed them, to ensure that my clients company was able to provide positive patient outcomes. That’s why I focus on more than just filling orders. I would work diligently to provide solutions that integrate people, processes, and technology to meet my clients total workforce needs. General daily functions: Provide clients with payrolling, staffing, webinars and seminars as well as update new employment law information to help maintain compliance within their business. Offer my assistance in coaching employees in developing their skills sets and strengths to the best of their abilities. Find very specialized job requirements by very skilled recruiting and advertising methods.
Dishonest, unorganized and unprofessional management
RN (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 7, 2014
I was told I would make a reasonable amount of pay per hour, would get free health insurance for myself, and get a completion bonus. Upon arriving in St. Louis, MO I was told that I would need to sign another contract because I may be "a tax risk". I had already quit my former job so I was in a spot and had to sign the second contract or be unemployed. The second contract had me making 6 dollars less an hour then the original contract. When I completed the assignment they refused to give me a completion bonus, even though I worked all of the hours that were required of me by the facility. Also, the free insurance for myself was not true either. It was an accidental limb dismemberment policy that was free. In addition they shorted me on my first check by 8 hours and it took them 2 weeks to pay me for the shortage. The list goes on and on, such as the company told me I would get garaunteed 36 hours per week. I was canceled a few days by the facility and it took the company 4 weeks to pay me for the garaunteed hours. The management was uncaring, unprofessional and unorganized! On 2 seperate occasions the manager left me a voicemail and was talking while eating on the voicemail. I could actually hear him chewing and this is how he would answer my concerns by leaving me a voicemail at the end of the day stating he was "working on it" while talking with his mouth full. I do not recommend this company! Stay away!
Professional, honest....best travel company I have worked with
REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  several assignments in MAMay 14, 2015
After seeing all of the "not so great" reviews, I felt I needed to respond. My recruiter is no longer with Supplemental, but having worked with several other companies, they are by far the best. I never had a problem with getting paid, housing, or any contract I accepted. Previous to signing with Supplemental, I had been on a contract with another company, 1600 miles away from my family, waited 3 weeks for a check and was housed next to a truck stop, complete with real, live "ladies of the night". Now THAT was a horrible experience !! My advise is this........if you have NEVER done travel nursing, RESEARCH it......it is not for everyone. You are not going to walk into any facility and get the same orientation and coddling you would get as a regular employee. As a "traveler" you are there to basically get the facility out of a "staffing" issue. You are there to work for them, to work where you are needed. My experience has been, that if you are flexible, work hard and put your best foot forward, you will succeed. There is not a travel position in the country that is going to be "easy" and pay you a ton of money. The bottom line is, regardless of where you work and what your position is, NO ONE gets paid for doing nothing. Being a travel nurse can be a fabulous experience. Supplemental is one of the best.
Disorganized and inexperienced
RN (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TexasSeptember 27, 2013
Lacked attention to detail. I went in person to hand in my paperwork because my file never seemed complete to them. Replaced my certifications 3 different times. Placed in assignments without consideration to ability to maintain their contract as vendor. Met other nurses working in places I requested to be oriented and placed with less experience than myself. Could never get closer to my home to work and tried to place me 40-60 mile one way commute for 4 hour positions.Pay was 3-4 dollars per hour less than other agencies.Was unable to get benefits due to extended, conditional start dates that only partial covered contract length. Local branches blocked working between travel and other locations to keep their numbers up for their benefit. Place felt like pressure cooker for the very young group of employees that I witnessed.
Pros
friendly and paperwork not overwhelming
Cons
unable to solve problems without being considered the problem
Misleading
RN (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 15, 2014
I'm on my second contract wiyh this company. I wotked in WV and It was horrible. Staff were unprofessional and nobody told me about yhe mandatory overtime. The over yime rate is small, like getting straight pay at ant other job but had to work up to 72 hours a week. The recruiter claimed that they didn't know about all the issues because they just started using them and said they would not send anymore nurses there. I gave them the benefit of a doubt and took another assignment. They grossly underestimated the housing cost and overestimated my take home pay. I'm not making anymore than a regular staff nurse at this hospital but have to work every weekend and can't get Overtime. I told them I was going to put in a 3 week notice and they said they would charge me $20 an hour for every hour I missed gor the entire length of the contract. It was thousands. These were not fines from the facility. Just supplemental Health Care.
Pros
traveling
Cons
no time or money to enjoy it.
Not much chance to advance
Recruitment Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 21, 2015
You will spend the majority of your day chasing down Therapists for very short three month contracts with low bill rates. Must make close to 80 cold calls a day and maintain close to five new hires per week.

It did help me to learn more effective time management skills and ways to maximize my foot print on social networking sites.

Management was good when I first arrived, but then a new Director of Recruitment was hired who then promptly let go of a number of us and brought in her own team from her previous job.

My co-workers were great! I really enjoyed working with each of them!

The hardest part of the job was truly just sitting in once place all day long every day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to build relationships with the Therapists I worked with every day.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
Bad office building, sitting at desk all day, not much room for advancement
Overly Stressful Corporate Environment
Staffing Manager (Former Employee) –  N Charleston, SCDecember 8, 2015
You basically sit on the phone all day and cold call nurses. You have strict numbers you have to hit weekly. You get hung up on a lot. You are basically trying to get nurses to leave there comfy full time job to do a travel contract. The travel contract is a hard sell because you are dealing with the IRS and non tax money. There aren't many opportunities for local nurses. The pay for a Staffing Manager/Recruiter is very good. The Bonus Structure is confusing. I was really upset because they only give you 6 paid Holidays so I worked Christmas Eve all alone until 5 pm and the day after Thanksgiving. My manager was very aggressive and you had to have thick skin to deal with her. She micromanaged to a fault. There is a lot of internal favoritism that makes it very stressful.
Pros
good pay, no long nights, big company with many locations
Cons
stressful, micromanagement, hard sell
Never felt as though you were an asset to the company
Payroll Processor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 6, 2015
Everyday was an uphill battle in order to perform your required tasks. As much as I would like to think that I could have had longevity with this company, it was obvious upon starting my employment that you were thought of as "dime a dozen"... There did not seem to be any support to make changes for the better, yet you were scored (evaluated) on a weekly basis. The company repeatedly asked for consistency yet the process was broken. There was no actual (formal) training set into place, pretty much a learn as you go while we score you the whole time. And the weekly score wasn't just your score, you actually were scored based on the office in which you processed payroll for- whom you had never met, nor were you allowed to push back on the items they were getting marked against. Lose Lose situation.
Pros
Paid the bills
Cons
Lack of support and training
Best office i have ever worked at
Recruiting Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 12, 2016
The average day consisted of creating job postings, calling medical professionals to follow up and recruit new talent and creating submission packets for the nurses. This was the best management team i have ever worked for. From the upper management we always had guidance and reinforcement and my divisional manager was one of the best managers i have ever worked for. The office staff was great, even though the recruiters are sharks they would always help you if you needed it. The hardest part of the day was finding enough time to do everything during your shift, though management let you have overtime. The best part of the job was the team of people you worked with and the office culture that the president created. It was a great place to work and has been voted one of the best offices to work in Buffalo
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Base salary
Very Enjoyable working experience
LPN (Former Employee) –  Merriam, KSSeptember 10, 2012
Through this staffing agency I was employed at the Kansas City VA Hospital in the clinics. I checked in patients, roomed them for their Dr appts., called patients back for tests results, saw patients for various follow up consultations, ie blood pressure, immunizations. I learned valuable patient teaching skills, how to interpret different lab results,test results, ect. My coworkers were friendly and helpful reguardless if they were VA employees or other fellow staffing nurses. The hardest part of the job was dealing with impatient patients when the Dr would get behind schedule. I enjoyed meeting the variety of veterans that came in to the different clinics.
Pros
i gained valuable experience while working in the va hospital
Cons
once this staffing opportunity was over the agency had no other available work for lpn's
Don't waste your time!!! Don't walk... Run!!
approved candidate-5wks ago (Former Employee) –  Weston WVJuly 21, 2014
No professional courtesy. Can't return emails or calls to identify employment conformations. The WV posting is a Hoax!!! Just trying to get quotas filled for commissions. Been waiting a month after taking classes required and spending hours spinning my wheels like a mouse on a wheel. We as nurses should never out more effort into follow up than the agencies do. Initial conduct is a precursor to what the future holds for response in emergent situations. Glad I didn't get a follow up. Would be stuck with no resources at a news worthy hostile facility. They claim they know nothing of issues. Staff getting beat up. Union strikes. Aggressive situation for traveler. Do your research.
Pros
none i can see other than ads to hook u
Cons
no value for professional job seekers time
Don't waste your time
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 5, 2016
wouldn't use this company again...
RN (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 11, 2014
The unit in the hospital was terrible. I and the other travellers dealt with it but it got to the point where I had enough. I wasn't paid enough to feel like I was on a psych unit. I said I was leaving my assignment early and got actually threatened by my recruiter with "that's reportable to your state board of nursing for patient abandonment and you will lose your license". Ummm. What. Needless to say, that's. NOT patient abandonment I had finished my shift way before I told her this and no I have not lost my license. The company doesn't want to work with me again but honestly do I want to work with a company that doesn't care about my health and we'll being and would rather see me sick and making myself crazy going into work?!?!?!!? Nope.
Pros
it was a job
Cons
poorly handled situation
Unsupportive
RN (Former Employee) –  Lebenon PANovember 3, 2014
It was my very first travel experience and they sent me to a hospital that was totally unprofessional and did not give me any computer training. The nurses there were throwing out IV antibiotics on patients that were septic. When I asked why they said they didn't have the time to do everything and they didn't tell on each other. The management was not supportive at all and basically threw me in with a pack of wolves. Never again. This experience turned me away from travel nursing. It would have been at least a little better if Supplemental had been more supportive. They basically didn't care and I wanted out of there because I couldn't stand to see the patients not getting good care. They said I had to stay.
Pros
no real pros at all
Cons
unsupportive, unprofessional
Like having a root canal with no novacaine for 13 weeks
head executioner - rehab staff (Former Employee) –  USAMay 11, 2015
Really bad experience. Recruiter for company seems like a bully. The assignment was horrific and I'm glad that I did it so that I'll never consider a travel job again. For a travel position it wasn't very competitive paying. It was very difficult when discussing compensation. I felt like I was at a used car lot and it was end of the month. The only thing they seem to care about is billing for their time. You could be the worst most unethical clinician and they wouldn't care as long as you billed max.
Irony of the situation is that I recently ran into a P.T. who had the exact same experience with both supplemental and the placement. A
Pros
pay on time and weekly
Cons
ethics, placement
This was a very productive and hardworking place to work.
Administration Assistant/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Independence, OHFebruary 22, 2015
A typical day at work is calling all nurses every Monday to see who and what time frame are they available so that way I would know what hospital needs what type of nurses for the different shifts. Then I would do payroll for the employees /nurses that worked the week before so that they are paid weekly for work. For new nurses, I would assistant them to an online test and upon passing then they would need to take drug testing, and I would do background test on there nursing certificate and make sure they were certified in Ohio to work.
Pros
making sure all the hospitals had a hard working nurses that would supply help for sick patients
Cons
no cons
Front office managers terrible not honest
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 30, 2016
They give work to who they want and then lie and say there is no work..
The office managers are a joke try to bribe u eith gas cards and never produced not one.
They screw up your check weekly so if your not ontop of your hours they screw you.
The supposed office managers are back stabbers and look out for number 1 themselves as long as they book u they get credit regardless if there putting u in jeopardy with your license as long as they get paid.
Was sent to terrible situations always on weekends and they were never around cause they work m-f so u get screwed and they get paid and u have to work in that terrible situation..
Sad place to work for all the promises are lies
Cons
RUN or get everything in writing!!!
RN (Former Employee) –  Buffalo NYJuly 3, 2014
Ended contract prior to starting due to flagrant theft of funds from my credit card which was given for a hold for security deposit for my housing which is not common practice for travel agencies.Luckily my bank will cover me but had to pay out of pocket for physical. Told me they would reimburse but reversed this, had to ask for assistance with housing, mileage,and guaranteed hours were not in contract.Very unorganized, became adversarial when confronted about anything, nothing was offered to me had to ask/push to get it.I am a seasoned traveler and my advice is there are much better places to work for.
Pros
didn't end up working for these guys, probably saved me money
Cons
untrustworthy!