Sur La Table Employee Reviews in United States

Productive, rewarding place.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIAugust 20, 2016
The company was focused on being the trusted authority
Products were of great quality and easy to sell. Customers were friendly. There is a generous discount on products and cooking classes.
Pros
Generous Discount
Cons
No job security
Horrible work environment
Chef Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 12, 2016
The corporate philosophy is to have everyone work as little as possible so they do not have to pay benefits. It should be a great working environment but the store is run like a daycare center. Never given the proper tools to complete the job and the corporate rules change on a daily basis. Turn over is incredibly high because of the store management. If you enjoy being in prison then you will love working here. Stay as far away from Sur La Table as you can because it is where careers go to die.
Pros
Cons
they wont hire any because they do background checks
Productive and exciting workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Freehold, NJAugust 12, 2016
Sur la Table is always educating their employees by providing training materials and videos. Unfortunately Sur la Table limits the amount of hours provided to sales associates.
Pros
Coworkers.
Cons
Not enough hours
Picker
Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, INAugust 9, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Sur La Table. Some of the people were very friendly and I understood my job duties very well. The job was very easy and quick. I really appreciate that they showed their employees Temp or full time the same respect.
Energetic Environment
Sales Floor Lead (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 5, 2016
Sur La Table is a wonderful company for anyone passionate about cooking and about customer service. The environment is always upbeat and energetic, even when things get super busy. My only complaint would be that upper management such as GM's and DM's need a restructuring as far as training and how they train others.
Helping people learn is fun but treat employees horrible
Kitchen assistant (Current Employee) –  CharlotteAugust 3, 2016
It is very enjoyable helping people learn to cook but it is a dead-end job with very little pay, no bonuses,lots of drama and power tripping! Yet some are the complete opposite awesome wonderful fun people to work with just like any job, take the good with the bad.
The worst part of the job is the bad scheduling one person cleaning up after 15 people or 16 people is not good.
Pros
Store discount / customers
Cons
Dead end job / minimum wage pay
I like dealing with the customers
Customer Service Returns specialist (Current Employee) –  Brownsburg, INJuly 31, 2016
Most of the customers that call in have an issue with not getting there order, losing their package or wrong address put on order at the initial time it was placed. I like to make the customer happy by taking care of there every need and generally they hang up satisfied.
Pros
I love the employee sales
Cons
2% RAISES
Productive Environment, not too stressful
Sales Associate (part-time) (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 25, 2016
I love this job, it's not easy, but it's not a difficult job to maintain. Although I wish that we associate got paid a little more, I wouldn't feel as if i needed a second job.
I suppose this job is temporary, i wish it didn't have to be, I wish there was room for promotions as far as a job promotion.
Pros
Easy going management
Cons
pay isn't sufficient
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJJuly 14, 2016
Sales goals unrealistic. Alot of product incentives for hitting individual goals. Small intimate store easy to interact with customers. Good place
friendly environment
Auditor (Quality Control Associate ) (Current Employee) –  Brownsburg, INJune 14, 2016
it was a seasonal position so we worked the project and they let us go but they told us before 2 week, over all its a positive experience
Great environment, very customer focused.
Chef Instructor - Savory (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 12, 2016
I really enjoyed my position of Chef Instructor. The kitchens are well appointed. The previous Resident Chef was a tool, but the current Resident Chef is very easy to work with, accommodating, understanding, is tough but fair.
Pros
beautiful kitchen
Cons
25 hours only available to employees.
Gained Knowledge working here
seasonal cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 10, 2016
I enjoyed working here and learning different things and meeting new people. The staff was great and friendly and made sure you had a productive working experience.
Pros
awsome staff
Cons
Small space
Fun and energetic atmosphere
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CA 92626April 29, 2016
I have never met a group of people so excited to be around food and cookware as the individuals at Sur La Table, Costa Mesa. Everyone is very welcoming and treats you like family. There are incentives to selling certain items, they work with your schedule, and try to be fair when scheduling people. The rules are made very clear and there is a transparency to what happens there.
Pros
food is always available, they encourage you to try the products on demo day, great employee discount, room for advancement
Cons
pay is very low for the area
fun place to work as there are always contest for making our store #1
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 27, 2016
a typical day at work is seeing former customers come in and asking for a particular associate as they were given wonderful and exact knowledge about an item they purchased. Also, meeting new customers who have nver heard of us but are excited to see what we carry for the ktichen and table.
the hardest part of the job is sometimes not be able to have an item at price point the average consumer can afford or getting the customer to understand that it is sometimes better to purchase a high end item once rather than a inexpensive several times over and paying more over the long run
most enjoyable part of the job is seeing new products and learning how to use them and seeing new & returning customers
Knowledage in cookware and culinary items
Floor Lead (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIApril 24, 2016
Everyday was a school day and I learned something new about the merchandise and new cooking techniques. Always a friendly and helpful environment.
Minimum Wage (Literally)
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 21, 2016
I have been working for this company for a year now and I can tell you that compared to Williams-Sonoma, you are very underpaid. Particular store cannot even find sales associates because of the measly $8/hour they offer. Understaffed, underpaid, under appreciated...
Pros
Fun stuff to play with
fun workplace
Retail, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 14, 2016
I enjoyed learning about kitchen equipment and design. My co-workers were awesome i enjoyed working at Sur la table it was a vey fun and productive environment.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Immediate supervisor was great, regional management terrible.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 13, 2016
I only worked at Sur La Table for 3 months and was very disappointed in the regional management. My immediate supervisor was great to work with.

Open/close store during assigned shifts, provide customer service & assist in training new employees. The employees were all great to work with.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  CAApril 1, 2016
This is a great place to work if you are looking for low stress, part-time job that is great for college students looking to make extra money.
Cons
few hours, minimal raises
Great place to work for foodies
Store Manager & Interim Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 9, 2016
Fast paced environment that fosters a love of cooking and entertaining. Company is very organic and is constantly trying to achieve better results.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sur La Table. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9