Sur La Table Employee Reviews

Corporate structure is changing.
Resident Chef (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLAugust 20, 2017
Good place to work but the new cooperate structure has been completely changed and all the people at the top have resigned so there has to be a good reason.
Pros
40- 50 hour work week
Cons
total lack of being creative or thinking outside of the box
Fun workplace
Chef Assistant (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYAugust 17, 2017
I have learned a lot from the chefs here and meet a lot of great people. Everyone that works here loves it because of the culture. The most enjoyable part is learning also about the food.
Pros
Learning while working
Cons
pay isnt that good
Good working environment
QA Lead (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 10, 2017
Small sized company, so it is easier to get recognition for good work and grow in the company rather being lost in the crowd. Quick-paced work culture helps get work done faster and see instant results of your work. Great place for career advancement.
Pros
Free take home Sur la Table merchandise from time to time.
Cons
Nothing that I could think of
Beware!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 10, 2017
This company is going down in flames and taking everyone with it.

Any company that runs for six months without a CEO, National Sales Director, Store Manager of the highest volume store in the chain, and 3 District Managers for over six months not only shows lack of leadership, but training and development for bench strength.

Sur La Table is in the process of winning back their customer, while at the same time losing their number one asset, their employees.

This company took a management satisfaction survey, and did not release the results for over four months because the results were so bad.
Pros
Discount.
Cons
Too many to list
Friendly work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 10, 2017
Everyone was generally very easy to work with. The schedule was always very flexible too. While there was a lot of management change, there was never any instability.
Amazing place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLAugust 7, 2017
I worked here for 2 years and it had its ups and downs but overall it was an amazing experience. I enjoyed working with everyone. I learned how to communicate with my coworkers.
excellent managers and great quality products
RETAIL ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJuly 30, 2017
The products sold at SLT are all incredibly high quality, and there are many avenues the provide to learn unique features of each product. Very supportive staff and a fun work environment that encourages learning
Fun place to work that rewards Loyalty
Desktop Services Technician III (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 25, 2017
Great place to work and constantly changing. The benefits are great and they are committed to a relaxed atmosphere. You can use a wide range of skills there due to their size.
Pros
Great benefits and relaxed atmosphere
fun place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJuly 19, 2017
I've worked at sur la table for almost 2 years at this point. I enjoy our customers that come in for they are mainly senior citizens and tourists so i hear all different types of stories on a daily basis, either about obscure cooking items they are looking for or just life stories. General day at work depends if i open or close; opening consists of setting up the Jura coffee machines and making an aroma that will be cooked all day. Closing consists of sweeping up the store, cleaning all the coffee demo machines and taking out all the trash.

The hardest part of my job is when I get bombarded with questions when we have very little coverage. Trying to help everyone all at once is a hassle. The most enjoyable part of my job is that it helps me learn to deal with situations, pleasant or not, in a professional manner.
Pros
fun employees and boss
Cons
part time work, never a consistent schedule
Stocking at Sur La Table
Shipping/ Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJuly 17, 2017
I ended up working here for 3 years. Yet I only planned to work a week for some extra cash. Reason why I stayed... return and damaged items (at the time) went to the employees. All the chipped plates, cups and platters. I was a cook on a major budget. It was my dream job! Lol I also believed that was a fair trade for the lousy pay and benefits. As soon as they changed there return policy I left...simple as that.
Pros
major discounts on store items
Cons
lousy pay and benefits
Fun place to work
Sales Floor Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 10, 2017
I love just about about everything about this place. You do have to be motivated in order to do well at this job. If you are the type of person who just wants to clock-in and out, you definitely wont do well here. I rediscovered my love of cooking and helping people.

We do receive some products for free so we can give our opinions and help sale those products, however I am always completely honest about by feedback and I will never sale a product to a customer if it doesn't work.
Pros
Free product, sales incentives and great employee discount
Cons
Benefits are only available to FT worker, pay is low and little room to grow
Good place to work.
Culinary Shopper (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 10, 2017
Sur la Table is a good place to work because of the local managers. The district and corporate managers change policy very often making it difficult to know what is expected. There is no set schedule so achieving work/life balance is nearly impossible.
Fun place to work, upper management/admin is lacking in direction
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Gatos, CAJuly 6, 2017
SLT seems to be undergoing a corporate restructure and major culture changes. while it is fun to work in a store, upper management policies are unnecessarily redundant and sometimes insult the abilities of store-level employees. Store-level employees are frequently not given information about large-scale promotions and are less aware of promos than customers.
N/a
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Meridian, IDJuly 6, 2017
I have been employed for 2 years as a sales associate. I find the job rewarding, as I can help customers with there cooking problems or concerns. I enjoy cooking questions.
not a review
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 29, 2017
This is not a review. I do not like being forced in to writing a review. This should be an optional step not a required mandatory one. No review from me.
Work enviornments
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2017
The most enjoyable part of work is demonstrations. Seeing the customers faces when they know they can have free taste testing. Its a sight of happiness and enjoyment. Being able to interact with customers in this fast pace culinary department make work much more enjoyable and it feels less like work and your just basically satisfying another persons culiary needs.
Fun place to work
Freelance Chef (Former Employee) –  Manhasset, NYJune 27, 2017
Fun place to work. This position required working a lot nights, weekends and holidays - as with any retail position. Makes it hard to find life / work balance sometimes.
Fast paced
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 26, 2017
The management job entails orchestrating the sales staff and merchandising. Customer service and relations are essential and complete knowledge of the products and specials being run by the company
good place for learning
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 23, 2017
good place, great managers, low pay but fun and good learning experience, interacting with customers and working one on one with chef and students. Also store discounts are ok.
Basically a bunch of cliquey people who drink Star Bucks 24/7
Holiday Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lake Grove, NYJune 17, 2017
This job at first was nice, at first. Until you need someone, then they couldn't be bothered to help you. Working there was only fun because the actual customers made it that way, seeing reoccurring customers is a great thing and having them remember you is even better. The job focuses on the amount of product you have to sell to make a bonus. On more than a handful of occasions I have had staff "steal" sales. Not a stable job...
Pros
Great pay, good food
Cons
Cliquey, no loyalty, no flexibility.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sur La Table. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9