Sur La Table Employee Reviews in United States

Fun and energetic atmosphere
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CA 92626April 29, 2016
I have never met a group of people so excited to be around food and cookware as the individuals at Sur La Table, Costa Mesa. Everyone is very welcoming and treats you like family. There are incentives to selling certain items, they work with your schedule, and try to be fair when scheduling people. The rules are made very clear and there is a transparency to what happens there.
Pros
food is always available, they encourage you to try the products on demo day, great employee discount, room for advancement
Cons
pay is very low for the area
fun place to work as there are always contest for making our store #1
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 27, 2016
a typical day at work is seeing former customers come in and asking for a particular associate as they were given wonderful and exact knowledge about an item they purchased. Also, meeting new customers who have nver heard of us but are excited to see what we carry for the ktichen and table.
the hardest part of the job is sometimes not be able to have an item at price point the average consumer can afford or getting the customer to understand that it is sometimes better to purchase a high end item once rather than a inexpensive several times over and paying more over the long run
most enjoyable part of the job is seeing new products and learning how to use them and seeing new & returning customers
Knowledage in cookware and culinary items
Floor Lead (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIApril 24, 2016
Everyday was a school day and I learned something new about the merchandise and new cooking techniques. Always a friendly and helpful environment.
Minimum Wage (Literally)
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 21, 2016
I have been working for this company for a year now and I can tell you that compared to Williams-Sonoma, you are very underpaid. Particular store cannot even find sales associates because of the measly $8/hour they offer. Understaffed, underpaid, under appreciated...
Pros
Fun stuff to play with
fun workplace
Retail, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 14, 2016
I enjoyed learning about kitchen equipment and design. My co-workers were awesome i enjoyed working at Sur la table it was a vey fun and productive environment.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Immediate supervisor was great, regional management terrible.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 13, 2016
I only worked at Sur La Table for 3 months and was very disappointed in the regional management. My immediate supervisor was great to work with.

Open/close store during assigned shifts, provide customer service & assist in training new employees. The employees were all great to work with.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  CAApril 1, 2016
This is a great place to work if you are looking for low stress, part-time job that is great for college students looking to make extra money.
Cons
few hours, minimal raises
Great place to work for foodies
Store Manager & Interim Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 9, 2016
Fast paced environment that fosters a love of cooking and entertaining. Company is very organic and is constantly trying to achieve better results.
Fun but goes no where
Inventory Manager/Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAMarch 6, 2016
Not really a chance to go up the ranks. A good job for people interested in cooking. makes you feel unappreciated at times.
Pros
free food, pretty lax about most things
Cons
stressful at times and no way to rise up
Lively workplace with people passionate about food
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 4, 2016
I assist in most aspects of the job, from helping customers around the store, demonstrating food preparation, preparing coffee, organizing stock, and ringing customers up for sales or returns.
Mismanaged and dishonest
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLDecember 30, 2015
The Management level positions are very ill trained and underpaid. The disorganization starts from the top with constantly changing directives and vague job responsibilities for all levels. There is rampant disregard for protocol and very little security measures with the accounting practices and sales. Basically no training for management level positions as well as new sales staff. Little or no tools given for all new staff.

The company has a very faulty foundation and appears to be crumbling fast. Merchandise is becoming more cheaply made and returns are more commonplace as they should be for this type of company. Little or no training in products.

There is no support from HR or upper management when there are real issues amongst staff and basically no job security. I chose to leave because of the negligence in management and no ability to trust both the confidentiality and security if shared, many employees were fearful of being penalized in hours or termination. Saw iti many times before me with excellent managers and staff.

Dishonest hiring practices... Hours and wages promised and never intended to be delivered upon. People were constantly hired for promised hours and between constant schedule changes and payroll cuts, they were very dissatisfied . At this particular store, there was much unprofessional behavior and overt neglect for respect to the store and others.

Horrible company going down fast.
Pros
Nice customers
Cons
Dishonest and extremely mismanaged
Discount is the Only Reason to Show Up Everyday
Sur La Table (Former Employee) –  New YorkDecember 29, 2015
Communication between upper management and retail stores is a disaster. "Corporate" was always changing policies but really it was managers deciding to change things and using "corporate" as a scape goat. Unprofessional and immature managers in both retail and culinary departments. Lots of gossip and talking behind peoples backs. Managers are quick to make rules up as they go along. Managers in both departments would rather passive aggressively cut hours than have conversations with employees.

Very little training in both departments, making employees look unprofessional in front of customers. 85% of employees are just there for the discount and are not quick to really go above and beyond for customers. Lots of passing the buck and responsibility around, many employees do not take responsibility for what is expected of them. Can't really blame the employees because the managers allow their "favorites" to get away with murder. Some employees are extremely rude to customers and get away with it because complaints do not reach corporate levels.

There's not many good things to say about all of my time spent here except that the discount and flexible schedule was the only reason to keep this job.
Pros
Learned a lot about food, cooking and kitchen tools. Schedule was relatively flexible.
Cons
Lots of issues with management both culinary and retail
Disorganized place to work
Seasonal Associate (Current Employee) –  Meridian, IDDecember 7, 2015
I was a seasonal employee picking up extra cash over the holidays. Nearly every person I worked with was very friendly and helpful when I had questions.

But as far as training and communication goes, it was a disaster. I've never worked for a more disorganized company/store. The first couple of weeks after filling out paperwork I didn't hear a peep because they used the incorrect phone number, which is funny b/c they got it right the first time when calling for an interview.

Then, because I missed a day to train b/c of the above problem, I was baptized by fire as they say the first day on the floor. I got a few minutes of register training and then hit the ground running, cashiering the rest of the day.

There was a lot of miscommunication about certain policies (like store discounts for example). I had a customer fuming b/c I was told the 10% cooking class discount could only be used once, but in fact it could be used all day the day of the class. I didn't know any better and it made me look unprofessional.

A lot of times management was difficult to track down to ask questions b/c they were running around like chickens with their heads cut off, doing a million things around the store.

There were also a couple of very condescending employees who did help me, but made me feel stupid just b/c I didn't know what to do. Doesn't happen in every store so not completely counting it against them, just irritating.

Meeting some nice people and a great discount that I was able to use to get my mom some nice kitchen items, but overall, was happy to be out of there!
Pros
discount, some nice people
Cons
disorganized, lack of communication and training
Excellent venue to share my skill set and work with a vast array of pupils, ranging from beginner to advanced -- an excellent learning experience.
Resident Chef (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYNovember 22, 2015
Daily duties included everything from purchasing all ingredients and supplies for each and every cooking classes and/or private events/parties in addition to running the kitchen, staffing/managing a team of 12+, budgeting, expense reporting, integrating retail products and meeting corporate goals and discussing retail performance on weekly conference calls.

I learned a great deal about managing a team and delegating tasks. I gained the knowledge that it is absolutely crucial to document any unfavorable behavior or policy violations immediately. I also became exponentially more organized and utilized various apps/serviced to help keep track of expenses, events, and deadlines.

With regard to management, it has to be said that it was generally very smooth sailing. However, there needs to be absolute clear communication with transparency, honesty and mutual respect.

My team and co-workers were a great group as a whole. There were inevitable occasions where associates had to be reminded of the duties and job descriptions, but this approach generally allowed for quick course correction.

The most enjoyable part of my time as Resident Chef at Sur La Table was undoubtedly sharing my skill set and absolute love for cooking and allowing for clients to embark on their own culinary discovery. I formed some great relationships with "regulars" who would frequently sign up for my classes. Knowing that my customers left not only satisfied but also enriched and inspired meant the world to me.
Pros
Meeting, engaging and inspiring new customers every day.
Cons
Work/life balance.
Seasonal Sales Associate
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 17, 2015
I learned where the products were located on the sales floor, how to make every customer a coffee beverage using our coffee machines. Hospitality and comfort was an integral part of our sales duties at Sur La Table. I enjoyed getting to know my co workers on the sales floor and during breaks but I mostly kept to myself!
N/a
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FLOctober 7, 2015
I have no comment, be wary that no one is guaranteed a job in this company. It was an experience and I will learn from it. Working there was something I will never forget
Sales and Visual
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  BellevueAugust 26, 2015
A typical day is all about customer service. The location I am at has very low foot traffic, so the customer experience is very important. Product knowledge and customer care is at the heart of the Sur La Table. When traffic is low, I work on the visuals.
Fun job to have
Stocker (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 16, 2015
Co-workers and management were really friendly.
A typical day would be receiving shipment early in the morning, around 4 AM. Processing shipment into the floor/displays, and then when that is finished processing all the left over stock into the stockroom.
Pros
Friendly environment
Fun place to work, but too much drama.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edina MNJuly 20, 2015
Training was minimal, new employees are just thrown into the mix. If you love to cook the environment is exciting. You do get the chance to learn about new products. The pay is decent for the work that is expected. Unfortunately management seems to thrive on drama instead of squashing it.
Pros
Fun environment, good pay, chance for growth in larger districts
Cons
Unnecessary drama from management, don't recognize talent
Excellent culture and corporate environment
Culinary Arts Instructor (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJuly 2, 2015
Great and fun place to work. Interaction with customers and leadership play a significant role in the positively influenced workplace.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sur La Table. Our community is ready to answer.