Sur La Table

Sur La Table Employee Reviews

fun work place
Auditor (Quality Control Associate ) (Current Employee), Brownsburg, INAugust 20, 2015
its a stable company and its good for a job not a career, over all i would suggest not to work for this company if you are a foringher
Fun job to have
Stocker (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 16, 2015
Pros: Friendly environment
Co-workers and management were really friendly.
A typical day would be receiving shipment early in the morning, around 4 AM. Processing shipment into the floor/displays, and then when that is finished processing all the left over stock into the stockroom.
Fun place to work, but too much drama.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Edina MNJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Fun environment, good pay, chance for growth in larger districts
Cons: Unnecessary drama from management, don't recognize talent
Training was minimal, new employees are just thrown into the mix. If you love to cook the environment is exciting. You do get the chance to learn about new products. The pay is decent for the work that is expected. Unfortunately management seems to thrive on drama instead of squashing it.
Excellent culture and corporate environment
Culinary Arts Instructor (Current Employee), Boca Raton, FLJuly 2, 2015
Great and fun place to work. Interaction with customers and leadership play a significant role in the positively influenced workplace.
fast pace company
pick/packer (Former Employee), brownsburg, indianaJune 22, 2015
learned a lot working here friendly people fast pace and always kept us on our toes really enjoyed working for this company. management wasnt as friendly and very rude
Great products but no support for managers
Store Manager (Former Employee), MasachusettsJune 1, 2015
Pros: Great store team, good discount on products and cooking classes
Cons: no upper management support
I loved working with the team we built at my store location, but there is little to no upper management support of store managers and their teams.
Sold kitchenware and worked register.
Seasonal Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee), Providence, RIMay 29, 2015
Pros: Fun work environment, fast paced, decent wage
Cons: Short breaks
I loved working at Sur la Table. My co-workers were amazing and I got to know every one of them on a personal level. My boss was a tough cookie, however she is an amazing woman who works hard. The typical day at work involved talking to customers, selling products (specifically for the kitchen, dining room) and working the register. The hardest part of my job when working during the holidays when the registers had lines to the back of the store. However the most enjoyable parts of my job was talking to customers and having fun with my co-workers.
Productive and fun workplace
Chef Assistant (Former Employee), Sugar Land, TXMay 28, 2015
Pros: Tasting of foods and lunch breaks
Assisted customers with their item selected. Helped and assisted students who participated in the culinary classes.
friendly and inviting
Floor Associate, Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee), Durham, NCMay 28, 2015
Pros: great products and people
Cons: corporate policy doesn't allow for many hours to be worked
Focused on providing an excellent customer experience. Employees genuinely enjoy being there. The corporate office is very strict on its labor policy, so make sure you take required breaks.
The best educational cooking experience.
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCMay 28, 2015
Pros: Great discounts
Cons: short breaks, no bonuses, no health insurance
A typical day at work is prepping recipes and setting up class to assist the Chef in teaching proper knife skills, cooking techniques, and mis en place. I have learned that teaching someone how to cook a great meal is just as gratifying as cooking a 5 course meal and presenting it to the guests. Management at Sur la Table is awesome. They make you feel like you are a part of something big. You feel like you are all family. I love that my coworkers are just as excited to be there and help the students and chef as I am. We are all wanting everyone to have the ultimate chef to student experience. The hardest thing about this job is the pay, BUT I get to do what I love. The most enjoyable thing about this job is that I get to help someone cook and not only are they cooking they are also learning. The students look forward to coming back to take another class.
Read previous comment
General Manager (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CA 90401May 6, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: I was too well educated to be doing "stock work" 75% of the time
Working at The Gap was not my favorite position. I was not utilized to my potential. The very young clientele was difficult to contend with. The Gap Customer Service lines were not clearly drawn. I had a great Store Manager who tried to assist me. We both left the Company at the same time. It was not a culture of growth. The Store
ultimately closed. I guess you could say it was not my "cup of tea".
These things happen along ones career. It never happened again.
Stressful, busy, yet fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 21, 2015
There were times where it was stressful due to the fact only 3 people were scheduled on such a busy day. Then there were days where we had the right amount of people and still had us on our feet, but overall I still had fun.
Overall a positive workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), orange countyApril 13, 2015
The employee discount and perks (spiffs) are oustanding! The work environment was positive, and the customers were enjoyable although sometimes more knowledgeable than you. The hours for part time are inconsistent and the schedule is constantly changing.
Good environment with team players
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVApril 8, 2015
Pros: positive environment, encouragement from others.
Cons: sales goals for people not involved with sales on the floor
After clocking in, finding duties for the day and knowing what sales goals I needed. What it takes to run/work in a high-end kitchen store. Management worked closely with employees and adjusted schedule when needed. Co-workers made environment a great place to be and worked as a team. On a slow day, just hitting my goals could be very tough and sometimes impossible. The team and customers were my most enjoyable part of the work.
Looks great from the outside, not so much from the inside
Floor Lead (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Free coffee, generous discount, cooking classes
Cons: Poor upper management, lack of communication, lack of proper modern processes and systems.
Most days at work are understaffed and frantic. Little to no communication on a regular basis with poor planing on multiple levels. Systems are out of date and often times make general customer transactions difficult. Management is ineffective in any kind of development. Training exists but is not implemented and the staff pays the price for being undereducated on policy, procedure, and product. From corporate on down a constant saying i've heard and experienced is a high level of condescension from all levels of management. Co-workers can be fun, but are often very new to retail or sales in general. Hardest part of the job is getting excited to be there. Most enjoyable part of the job is the discount.
Mismanaged and unprofessional
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee), Sugar Land, TXMarch 23, 2015
Pros: friendly co-workers, learned some cooking tips
Cons: hours, pay, overworked, mismanaged
A typical day consisted of coming into work and beginning to prep for the cooking class/classes with the other kitchen assistants. About 1/4 of the time we would not have the ingredients needed for the class, or the ingredients would be expired. There was a nat problem in the kitchen and the solution was to place wine glasses full of soap water around the back counter and next to the drink station to try and catch the bugs. Ew. On top of that, three of the four chefs would all talk trash about each other behind each others back, and we were always short handed. I sometimes had to work a class by myself, no matter how many guests taking a class, so cleaning up after classes like that was always a pain. Corporate was always changing things regarding how the classes were run, and the retail part of the store hardly ever made the days goal in terms of sales. The only positive thing about this place were a few of the people that I worked with, they are what got me through the day. Had I known what was going on behind the scenes of this place, I would have never worked here.
Fun Products to Demo and Sell If You Like to Cook
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZMarch 3, 2015
Pros: employee discounts on the store's products
A typical day at work was assisting customers in finding the right product to solve the cooking issue or problem they had. Also recommended additional products which could multiply the benefit of the product the client wanted.

Management was very professional and fair.

Co-workers were very professional and helpful in assisting new employees to learn the store's products.

The hardest part of the job was processing shipments of new products and working on the annual inventory.

The most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job was finding a product that was exactly the product to meet the customer's needs.
Productive and fun place to work
Consultant (Former Employee), Seattle, WAFebruary 26, 2015
I enjoyed the people I worked with. The working hours are flexible and lots of interesting projects. The working environment allows all employees to have fun and learn as much as you can about the company by visiting their stores.
Fun loving learning environment with tons of room for laughter and eating
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: fun loving atmosphere
Cons: schedule was bit demanding time wise. i.e. late hours
A typical day would include me setting up chairs and tables for adult students who were about to embark on an exciting adventure of cooking and eating. I learned many different cooking terminologies and techniques that made my home-cooking life more interesting. I had fun- loving coworkers who always looked out for each other. The hardest part of the job was tolerating some of the music that was played after hours while cleaning. The most enjoyable part of the job was greeting the guests, and appropriately interjecting funny comments while the chef was teaching which would bring the class to a roaring laugh! and most importantly the eating. I loved eating the exquisite leftovers!
I like all of my coworkers and enjoy working here
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Canton, CTFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: fun coworkers and great products
Cons: very limited hours and low pay
My responsibilities vary from day-to-day and I like that. I enjoy interacting with customers and improving my knowledge of the products we sell. The store manager and all assistant managers are fair and fun to work with. I love the store and the products and enjoy sharing my passion with the public.
I am very grateful to have a job and like helping people.
Headquarters