Sur La Table

Sur La Table Employee Reviews

Lively workplace with people passionate about food
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 4, 2016
I assist in most aspects of the job, from helping customers around the store, demonstrating food preparation, preparing coffee, organizing stock, and ringing customers up for sales or returns.
Mismanaged and dishonest
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLDecember 30, 2015
The Management level positions are very ill trained and underpaid. The disorganization starts from the top with constantly changing directives and vague job responsibilities for all levels. There is rampant disregard for protocol and very little security measures with the accounting practices and sales. Basically no training for management level positions as well as new sales staff. Little or no tools given for all new staff.

The company has a very faulty foundation and appears to be crumbling fast. Merchandise is becoming more cheaply made and returns are more commonplace as they should be for this type of company. Little or no training in products.

There is no support from HR or upper management when there are real issues amongst staff and basically no job security. I chose to leave because of the negligence in management and no ability to trust both the confidentiality and security if shared, many employees were fearful of being penalized in hours or termination. Saw iti many times before me with excellent managers and staff.

Dishonest hiring practices... Hours and wages promised and never intended to be delivered upon. People were constantly hired for promised hours and between constant schedule changes and payroll cuts, they were very dissatisfied . At this particular store, there was much unprofessional behavior and overt neglect for respect to the store and others.

Horrible company going down fast.
Pros
Nice customers
Cons
Dishonest and extremely mismanaged
Discount is the Only Reason to Show Up Everyday
Sur La Table (Former Employee) –  New YorkDecember 29, 2015
Communication between upper management and retail stores is a disaster. "Corporate" was always changing policies but really it was managers deciding to change things and using "corporate" as a scape goat. Unprofessional and immature managers in both retail and culinary departments. Lots of gossip and talking behind peoples backs. Managers are quick to make rules up as they go along. Managers in both departments would rather passive aggressively cut hours than have conversations with employees.

Very little training in both departments, making employees look unprofessional in front of customers. 85% of employees are just there for the discount and are not quick to really go above and beyond for customers. Lots of passing the buck and responsibility around, many employees do not take responsibility for what is expected of them. Can't really blame the employees because the managers allow their "favorites" to get away with murder. Some employees are extremely rude to customers and get away with it because complaints do not reach corporate levels.

There's not many good things to say about all of my time spent here except that the discount and flexible schedule was the only reason to keep this job.
Pros
Learned a lot about food, cooking and kitchen tools. Schedule was relatively flexible.
Cons
Lots of issues with management both culinary and retail
Disorganized place to work
Seasonal Associate (Current Employee) –  Meridian, IDDecember 7, 2015
I was a seasonal employee picking up extra cash over the holidays. Nearly every person I worked with was very friendly and helpful when I had questions.

But as far as training and communication goes, it was a disaster. I've never worked for a more disorganized company/store. The first couple of weeks after filling out paperwork I didn't hear a peep because they used the incorrect phone number, which is funny b/c they got it right the first time when calling for an interview.

Then, because I missed a day to train b/c of the above problem, I was baptized by fire as they say the first day on the floor. I got a few minutes of register training and then hit the ground running, cashiering the rest of the day.

There was a lot of miscommunication about certain policies (like store discounts for example). I had a customer fuming b/c I was told the 10% cooking class discount could only be used once, but in fact it could be used all day the day of the class. I didn't know any better and it made me look unprofessional.

A lot of times management was difficult to track down to ask questions b/c they were running around like chickens with their heads cut off, doing a million things around the store.

There were also a couple of very condescending employees who did help me, but made me feel stupid just b/c I didn't know what to do. Doesn't happen in every store so not completely counting it against them, just irritating.

Meeting some nice people and a great discount that I was able to use to get my mom some nice kitchen items, but overall, was happy to be out of there!
Pros
discount, some nice people
Cons
disorganized, lack of communication and training
Excellent venue to share my skill set and work with a vast array of pupils, ranging from beginner to advanced -- an excellent learning experience.
Resident Chef (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYNovember 22, 2015
Daily duties included everything from purchasing all ingredients and supplies for each and every cooking classes and/or private events/parties in addition to running the kitchen, staffing/managing a team of 12+, budgeting, expense reporting, integrating retail products and meeting corporate goals and discussing retail performance on weekly conference calls.

I learned a great deal about managing a team and delegating tasks. I gained the knowledge that it is absolutely crucial to document any unfavorable behavior or policy violations immediately. I also became exponentially more organized and utilized various apps/serviced to help keep track of expenses, events, and deadlines.

With regard to management, it has to be said that it was generally very smooth sailing. However, there needs to be absolute clear communication with transparency, honesty and mutual respect.

My team and co-workers were a great group as a whole. There were inevitable occasions where associates had to be reminded of the duties and job descriptions, but this approach generally allowed for quick course correction.

The most enjoyable part of my time as Resident Chef at Sur La Table was undoubtedly sharing my skill set and absolute love for cooking and allowing for clients to embark on their own culinary discovery. I formed some great relationships with "regulars" who would frequently sign up for my classes. Knowing that my customers left not only satisfied but also enriched and inspired meant the world to me.
Pros
Meeting, engaging and inspiring new customers every day.
Cons
Work/life balance.
N/a
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FLOctober 7, 2015
I have no comment, be wary that no one is guaranteed a job in this company. It was an experience and I will learn from it. Working there was something I will never forget
Sales and Visual
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  BellevueAugust 26, 2015
A typical day is all about customer service. The location I am at has very low foot traffic, so the customer experience is very important. Product knowledge and customer care is at the heart of the Sur La Table. When traffic is low, I work on the visuals.
Fun job to have
Stocker (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 16, 2015
Co-workers and management were really friendly.
A typical day would be receiving shipment early in the morning, around 4 AM. Processing shipment into the floor/displays, and then when that is finished processing all the left over stock into the stockroom.
Pros
Friendly environment
Fun place to work, but too much drama.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edina MNJuly 20, 2015
Training was minimal, new employees are just thrown into the mix. If you love to cook the environment is exciting. You do get the chance to learn about new products. The pay is decent for the work that is expected. Unfortunately management seems to thrive on drama instead of squashing it.
Pros
Fun environment, good pay, chance for growth in larger districts
Cons
Unnecessary drama from management, don't recognize talent
Excellent culture and corporate environment
Culinary Arts Instructor (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJuly 2, 2015
Great and fun place to work. Interaction with customers and leadership play a significant role in the positively influenced workplace.
fast pace company
pick/packer (Former Employee) –  brownsburg, indianaJune 22, 2015
learned a lot working here friendly people fast pace and always kept us on our toes really enjoyed working for this company. management wasnt as friendly and very rude
Great products but no support for managers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  MasachusettsJune 1, 2015
I loved working with the team we built at my store location, but there is little to no upper management support of store managers and their teams.
Pros
Great store team, good discount on products and cooking classes
Cons
no upper management support
Sold kitchenware and worked register.
Seasonal Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 29, 2015
I loved working at Sur la Table. My co-workers were amazing and I got to know every one of them on a personal level. My boss was a tough cookie, however she is an amazing woman who works hard. The typical day at work involved talking to customers, selling products (specifically for the kitchen, dining room) and working the register. The hardest part of my job when working during the holidays when the registers had lines to the back of the store. However the most enjoyable parts of my job was talking to customers and having fun with my co-workers.
Pros
Fun work environment, fast paced, decent wage
Cons
Short breaks
Productive and fun workplace
Chef Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXMay 28, 2015
Assisted customers with their item selected. Helped and assisted students who participated in the culinary classes.
Pros
Tasting of foods and lunch breaks
friendly and inviting
Floor Associate, Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 28, 2015
Focused on providing an excellent customer experience. Employees genuinely enjoy being there. The corporate office is very strict on its labor policy, so make sure you take required breaks.
Pros
great products and people
Cons
corporate policy doesn't allow for many hours to be worked
The best educational cooking experience.
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 28, 2015
A typical day at work is prepping recipes and setting up class to assist the Chef in teaching proper knife skills, cooking techniques, and mis en place. I have learned that teaching someone how to cook a great meal is just as gratifying as cooking a 5 course meal and presenting it to the guests. Management at Sur la Table is awesome. They make you feel like you are a part of something big. You feel like you are all family. I love that my coworkers are just as excited to be there and help the students and chef as I am. We are all wanting everyone to have the ultimate chef to student experience. The hardest thing about this job is the pay, BUT I get to do what I love. The most enjoyable thing about this job is that I get to help someone cook and not only are they cooking they are also learning. The students look forward to coming back to take another class.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
short breaks, no bonuses, no health insurance
Read previous comment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CA 90401May 6, 2015
Working at The Gap was not my favorite position. I was not utilized to my potential. The very young clientele was difficult to contend with. The Gap Customer Service lines were not clearly drawn. I had a great Store Manager who tried to assist me. We both left the Company at the same time. It was not a culture of growth. The Store
ultimately closed. I guess you could say it was not my "cup of tea".
These things happen along ones career. It never happened again.
Pros
Cons
I was too well educated to be doing "stock work" 75% of the time
Stressful, busy, yet fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 21, 2015
There were times where it was stressful due to the fact only 3 people were scheduled on such a busy day. Then there were days where we had the right amount of people and still had us on our feet, but overall I still had fun.
Overall a positive workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  orange countyApril 13, 2015
The employee discount and perks (spiffs) are oustanding! The work environment was positive, and the customers were enjoyable although sometimes more knowledgeable than you. The hours for part time are inconsistent and the schedule is constantly changing.
Good environment with team players
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 8, 2015
After clocking in, finding duties for the day and knowing what sales goals I needed. What it takes to run/work in a high-end kitchen store. Management worked closely with employees and adjusted schedule when needed. Co-workers made environment a great place to be and worked as a team. On a slow day, just hitting my goals could be very tough and sometimes impossible. The team and customers were my most enjoyable part of the work.
Pros
positive environment, encouragement from others.
Cons
sales goals for people not involved with sales on the floor