Sur La Table Employee Reviews

fast pace quick day
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Brownsburg, INFebruary 23, 2017
great place to work, need better pay nothing hard about any area. would recommend friend for job. Most enjoyable part is the 8 hour days.
Pros
8 hour day paid lunch and break
Cons
short break
Depends on location
ASSISTANT RESIDENT CHEF (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 14, 2017
I love this company but I just moved to a new store and have a very hard time with their management style. Lots of throwing people under the bus and micromanaging. The other locations that I work in had been great though; with amazing staff, great work environment and great job satisfaction.
Pros
Most of the stores I've worked in were almost perfect jobs
Cons
This store currently isn't
ridiculous availibility requirements when they can't guarantee their employees even close to reasonable hours.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 6, 2017
The company does little to recognize or retain good employees. No matter how good your product knowledge is, or how dependable an employee you are, you do not advance or get recognition of any kind. You are really no better than the worst of your co-workers.

The enforcement of rules in regards to availability are also highly unfair with practices leaning towards certain employees not abiding by the requirements for years, while others are constantly pestered about temporary periods of less availability due to 2nd and 3rd jobs or family responsibilities.

The company is inconsistent in its enforcement of rules to the point that it starts to seem discriminatory and it doesn't come close to actually giving its employees enough hours to have the right to demand the availability it requires. It also refuses to recognize that context plays an important role in how and what rules should, or reasonably can, be applied.

The best thing about working there was the discount and that wasn't enough to keep me there.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
ridiculous exprectations for availability given the meager hours they ever actually schedule you.
Great people, Great products, Great discount and terrible pay.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, NJFebruary 2, 2017
If you're looking for a part time job or a holiday job this is the place. Great discount which makes some of the overpriced products affordable to employees. At my particular store everyone from associates to management was very friendly and accommodating of scheduling.
Where the company falls apart is how overworked store management is and the disconnect between upper management and the store level.
Definitely not a long term option for employment if you want any sort of advancement or fair pay.
Pros
Employee discount, laid back environment, high quality products
Cons
unpredictable hours, severe disconnect with upper management, low hourly pay, no real advancement opportunities and 4 hour shifts.
fun Place to Work
Kitchen Assistant/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Friendswood, TXJanuary 24, 2017
Management is great because all of the managers treat everyone equally. The hardest part of the job is at time dealing with people that are not very nice. but at the end of the day we come together as a team and make it through the day.
Growing company, maybe too fast for corporate
Kitchen Assistant/Grocery Shopper (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 19, 2017
This job comes with a great discount, and being a kitchen assistant gives you a unique opportunity to attain a variety of skills you wouldn't necessarily learn all at one job anywhere else. You learn everything from basic knife skills to specialized cuisines like Thai or even pastry skills. Unfortunately, corporate would rather hire several people at minimum wage and work them 39.5 hours per week rather than hire a core team and give them higher pay/benefits as full time employees, which means we were always short staffed because nobody wanted a part-time minimum wage job with no benefits that still basically felt like a full-time job. The job included everything from prepping for classes (often for two classes at once, because they would schedule back-to-back classes with only an hour break between) to assisting customers in learning skills to finishing dishes/plating for service to dishwashing. It was a lot of work for minimum pay, but if you are looking for an entry level job that will give you culinary experience, this is a good place to start.
Pros
Good discount, learn a lot of skills on the job, lots of good work experience
Cons
Orders that come from corporate sometimes seem out of touch, Management sometimes too fixated on "making the numbers", not willing to spend money to make money/listen to employee suggestions, A lot of product training/education is left to employees to "figure it out", High turnover so it seems like there are always new employees to be trained, Very little team-building or focus on employee satisfaction, No opportunities for advancement, Pay is minimum
Fun staff, disorganized management
Culinary Instructor (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJanuary 12, 2017
Fun idea to offer cooking classes, but the Kitchen management team was very disorganized. Typical day consisted of mising out recipes for classes, leading those classes for about 2 hours, making sure the students had time to shop. Completing classes with meals or tasting of food made. Helping students complete their meals and helping them shop for household items used in class.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
early morning shifts on the weekends
Great team members and excellent management
Stock/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAJanuary 10, 2017
I loved working with this company. Management was very reasonable with scheduling around school and your everyday life. They are very organized and professional. I never had a dull moment there and my co-workers became my close friends. I was able to develop strong selling skills and communication skills with my customers. I ended up having returning customers because they were thrilled with the service we provided for them. The only downside is there is not much room for advancement, otherwise I would've stayed with them.
Pros
flexible scheduling, organized management
Cons
no room for advancement.
It was a fun retail experience
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Los Gatos, CAJanuary 9, 2017
I was the shipping receiving manager for a Sur La Table store. It was a fun but typical retail experience for the most part.
Productive and fun work place
Floor Lead (Current Employee) –  Wayne, NJJanuary 6, 2017
Well i usually open the store .So in the mornings i count the safe, open the store and registers and have the sales associate make sure coffee station and all signs for sales of the day are up.I have learned a lot since i started working there. I started as a seasonal sales associate and i worked my way up to floor lead within 6 months.
I now know a lot about scheduling and handling the stores money. I learned how to order change for the store and receive change.
It was tough at first because i am the youngest supervisor in the store so not a lot of people would take me seriously. But within a month or so that change, they saw i meant business and began to respect me as a supervisor. I also now am head of shipment and the stock room. So i am there at 6 am on Tuesday mornings receiving shipment and putting everything we receive away. I do love working with my coworkers. I also enjoy organizing the store and making sure everything is in place.
Pros
greet environment to work in
Cons
short breaks and no benefits
Very fast past
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, INDecember 19, 2016
Sur la table is a very fast past warehouse,you have to pick up too 150 pices with in ahour to reach quota,but its basically your basic warehouse,got and do your 8hrs,and go home too your family.
Pros
Holiday bonus
Cons
Alot of dust
General Manager
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 15, 2016
General Manager NEVER took personal responsibility for her actions & NEVER apologized. I was berated and teased constantly by the General Manager which created a hostile work environment. HR never reached out to me after filing a formal complaint that included my General Manager not allowing me to seek medical attention when on the job for a work related incident. Very disappointed by how corporate handles formal complaints.
Pros
Other employees nice.
Cons
General Manager created hostile work environment and when reported, nothing was done about it.
Retail Picker (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, INDecember 6, 2016
I liked it but was only seasonal staff. I enjoy working alone and the people that I met were very friendly and we worked well as a team.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Sometimes counts were off on products
Basic retail company, nothing special
Stocker/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 15, 2016
My position was temporary so take this with a grain of salt. I basically unloaded trucks and put merchandise on the sales floor.
Pros
Nothing really good or bad about it
Cons
Nothing really good or bad about it
Fun workplace and opportunity for advancement and improvement
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYOctober 19, 2016
Working at Sur La Table has shown/taught me a lot of working in a different aspect of the Culinary Industry. If you want it there is always a chance of improving and showing dedication which could lead to an opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Employee Discount, Atmosphere
Cons
No hours, Minimum wage only
Sur La Table
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, IndianaOctober 14, 2016
Great company to work for, excellent team spirit from General Manager down to the cleaner. The daily spirit is one of pulling together to get all tasks done.
Pros
Employee Sale, Good Bonus Scheme
Cons
Love working for this company
Pastry Chef Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2016
I started working at SLT three years ago. I started out of the retail sales floor. It was fun to learn about all the culinary products especially because I also work in restaurants. While there is a store that sells good quality restaurant tools and supplies, SLT sells a large variety of products to choose from.

I've been able to better sale products with the use of the knowledge that I've learned from culinary school and working. My managers were all great leaders especially when it came to selling without being pushy to customers.

I am currently a Chef Instructor for the store and I am so proud to say that the company hasn't changed. While, over the years rules and procedures have changed but the vision has stayed the same.

Overall the companies, vision is to make the customers feel as though you've welcomed them into your home and SLT does a great job in training and hiring the right staff that will execute the vision.
Pros
Awesome employee discount, flexible schedule
Cons
Outdated system
This business was fun to work at.
Customer Service, Break down truck (Former Employee) –  Corte Madera, CASeptember 5, 2016
Wednesday was the defining day because we got out load in and I would show up at seven and we would begin to break down the load and bring it in. We would separate what was restock on the floor and what we would put in the back hall for the main warehouse person to put away. We would do the restock after breaking down the load and then I would work on the floor helping customers find what they needed. The hardest part is when some of the girls got mean and ganged up on you. I'd just leave and go help customers. The environment was fairly relaxed with high customer service priority. The only this is it's helpful if you have culinary knowledge because you are selling the equipment and there is a lot to memorize if not it can be a steep learning curve. Also if your clumsy like me and someone asks you to bring them $300 dollar Le Crucet pot tell them no. My coworkers for the most part were great. I enjoyed helping customers and when a new product came in sometimes we got free items to test. I got a Swiss pan called a scan pan it was great and it was a $25 dollar value. When you are making $10 dollars and hour in an expensive living environment that is pretty neat.
Pros
Free knife sharpenings, free pans and new items that came out, A fun customer service enviroment without high proformance expectations.
Cons
Not a lot of hours, some back biting at work, not enough hours.
The discount and customers were nice...
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, INAugust 26, 2016
However, the culture of the seasonal/regular customer service force varied widely. Some were wonderfully professional, friendly, willing to help each other. Others fomented an environment of social bullying, gossip, complaining and vulgar language which was never corrected by management. Education on using the ordering system was crazy inconsistent -- since it depended on whomever was available that shift to teach new people, regardless of one's ability or personal mood to train.
The computers and network utilized for order taking (and shipping or problem resolutions, customer file maintenance, etc.) was antique and cumbersome, although the company website (for customer use) was beautiful and well-maintained. Talking to customers and other SurLaTable store employees on the phone was 90% wonderful, usually only difficult due to occasional situational frustration. Terrific merchandise, prices not bad at all, pay was okay for the work, super-casual dress atmosphere, free espresso whenever you wish!
Pros
Fast pace, variety of calls, suburban office park location
Cons
Negative "office politics, " unprofessional atmosphere
Fun and engaging
Resident Chef (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 25, 2016
Fun work environment with incredible coworkers and staff. Learned about managing and balancing time. Corporate structure management style. Limited Advancement makes long term goals very difficult.
Pros
Fun, Engaging
Cons
Limited Advancement opportunities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sur La Table. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9