Sur La Table Employee Reviews

Retail Picker (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, INDecember 6, 2016
I liked it but was only seasonal staff. I enjoy working alone and the people that I met were very friendly and we worked well as a team.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Sometimes counts were off on products
Basic retail company, nothing special
Stocker/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 15, 2016
My position was temporary so take this with a grain of salt. I basically unloaded trucks and put merchandise on the sales floor.
Pros
Nothing really good or bad about it
Cons
Nothing really good or bad about it
Fun workplace and opportunity for advancement and improvement
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYOctober 19, 2016
Working at Sur La Table has shown/taught me a lot of working in a different aspect of the Culinary Industry. If you want it there is always a chance of improving and showing dedication which could lead to an opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Employee Discount, Atmosphere
Cons
No hours, Minimum wage only
Sur La Table
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, IndianaOctober 14, 2016
Great company to work for, excellent team spirit from General Manager down to the cleaner. The daily spirit is one of pulling together to get all tasks done.
Pros
Employee Sale, Good Bonus Scheme
Cons
Love working for this company
Pastry Chef Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2016
I started working at SLT three years ago. I started out of the retail sales floor. It was fun to learn about all the culinary products especially because I also work in restaurants. While there is a store that sells good quality restaurant tools and supplies, SLT sells a large variety of products to choose from.

I've been able to better sale products with the use of the knowledge that I've learned from culinary school and working. My managers were all great leaders especially when it came to selling without being pushy to customers.

I am currently a Chef Instructor for the store and I am so proud to say that the company hasn't changed. While, over the years rules and procedures have changed but the vision has stayed the same.

Overall the companies, vision is to make the customers feel as though you've welcomed them into your home and SLT does a great job in training and hiring the right staff that will execute the vision.
Pros
Awesome employee discount, flexible schedule
Cons
Outdated system
This business was fun to work at.
Customer Service, Break down truck (Former Employee) –  Corte Madera, CASeptember 5, 2016
Wednesday was the defining day because we got out load in and I would show up at seven and we would begin to break down the load and bring it in. We would separate what was restock on the floor and what we would put in the back hall for the main warehouse person to put away. We would do the restock after breaking down the load and then I would work on the floor helping customers find what they needed. The hardest part is when some of the girls got mean and ganged up on you. I'd just leave and go help customers. The environment was fairly relaxed with high customer service priority. The only this is it's helpful if you have culinary knowledge because you are selling the equipment and there is a lot to memorize if not it can be a steep learning curve. Also if your clumsy like me and someone asks you to bring them $300 dollar Le Crucet pot tell them no. My coworkers for the most part were great. I enjoyed helping customers and when a new product came in sometimes we got free items to test. I got a Swiss pan called a scan pan it was great and it was a $25 dollar value. When you are making $10 dollars and hour in an expensive living environment that is pretty neat.
Pros
Free knife sharpenings, free pans and new items that came out, A fun customer service enviroment without high proformance expectations.
Cons
Not a lot of hours, some back biting at work, not enough hours.
The discount and customers were nice...
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, INAugust 26, 2016
However, the culture of the seasonal/regular customer service force varied widely. Some were wonderfully professional, friendly, willing to help each other. Others fomented an environment of social bullying, gossip, complaining and vulgar language which was never corrected by management. Education on using the ordering system was crazy inconsistent -- since it depended on whomever was available that shift to teach new people, regardless of one's ability or personal mood to train.
The computers and network utilized for order taking (and shipping or problem resolutions, customer file maintenance, etc.) was antique and cumbersome, although the company website (for customer use) was beautiful and well-maintained. Talking to customers and other SurLaTable store employees on the phone was 90% wonderful, usually only difficult due to occasional situational frustration. Terrific merchandise, prices not bad at all, pay was okay for the work, super-casual dress atmosphere, free espresso whenever you wish!
Pros
Fast pace, variety of calls, suburban office park location
Cons
Negative "office politics, " unprofessional atmosphere
Fun and engaging
Resident Chef (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 25, 2016
Fun work environment with incredible coworkers and staff. Learned about managing and balancing time. Corporate structure management style. Limited Advancement makes long term goals very difficult.
Pros
Fun, Engaging
Cons
Limited Advancement opportunities.
Productive, rewarding place.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIAugust 20, 2016
The company was focused on being the trusted authority
Products were of great quality and easy to sell. Customers were friendly. There is a generous discount on products and cooking classes.
Pros
Generous Discount
Cons
No job security
Horrible work environment
Chef Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 12, 2016
The corporate philosophy is to have everyone work as little as possible so they do not have to pay benefits. It should be a great working environment but the store is run like a daycare center. Never given the proper tools to complete the job and the corporate rules change on a daily basis. Turn over is incredibly high because of the store management. If you enjoy being in prison then you will love working here. Stay as far away from Sur La Table as you can because it is where careers go to die.
Pros
Cons
they wont hire any because they do background checks
Productive and exciting workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Freehold, NJAugust 12, 2016
Sur la Table is always educating their employees by providing training materials and videos. Unfortunately Sur la Table limits the amount of hours provided to sales associates.
Pros
Coworkers.
Cons
Not enough hours
Picker
Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, INAugust 9, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Sur La Table. Some of the people were very friendly and I understood my job duties very well. The job was very easy and quick. I really appreciate that they showed their employees Temp or full time the same respect.
Energetic Environment
Sales Floor Lead (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 5, 2016
Sur La Table is a wonderful company for anyone passionate about cooking and about customer service. The environment is always upbeat and energetic, even when things get super busy. My only complaint would be that upper management such as GM's and DM's need a restructuring as far as training and how they train others.
Helping people learn is fun but treat employees horrible
Kitchen assistant (Current Employee) –  CharlotteAugust 3, 2016
It is very enjoyable helping people learn to cook but it is a dead-end job with very little pay, no bonuses,lots of drama and power tripping! Yet some are the complete opposite awesome wonderful fun people to work with just like any job, take the good with the bad.
The worst part of the job is the bad scheduling one person cleaning up after 15 people or 16 people is not good.
Pros
Store discount / customers
Cons
Dead end job / minimum wage pay
I like dealing with the customers
Customer Service Returns specialist (Current Employee) –  Brownsburg, INJuly 31, 2016
Most of the customers that call in have an issue with not getting there order, losing their package or wrong address put on order at the initial time it was placed. I like to make the customer happy by taking care of there every need and generally they hang up satisfied.
Pros
I love the employee sales
Cons
2% RAISES
Productive Environment, not too stressful
Sales Associate (part-time) (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 25, 2016
I love this job, it's not easy, but it's not a difficult job to maintain. Although I wish that we associate got paid a little more, I wouldn't feel as if i needed a second job.
I suppose this job is temporary, i wish it didn't have to be, I wish there was room for promotions as far as a job promotion.
Pros
Easy going management
Cons
pay isn't sufficient
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJJuly 14, 2016
Sales goals unrealistic. Alot of product incentives for hitting individual goals. Small intimate store easy to interact with customers. Good place
friendly environment
Auditor (Quality Control Associate ) (Current Employee) –  Brownsburg, INJune 14, 2016
it was a seasonal position so we worked the project and they let us go but they told us before 2 week, over all its a positive experience
Great environment, very customer focused.
Chef Instructor - Savory (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 12, 2016
I really enjoyed my position of Chef Instructor. The kitchens are well appointed. The previous Resident Chef was a tool, but the current Resident Chef is very easy to work with, accommodating, understanding, is tough but fair.
Pros
beautiful kitchen
Cons
25 hours only available to employees.
Gained Knowledge working here
seasonal cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 10, 2016
I enjoyed working here and learning different things and meeting new people. The staff was great and friendly and made sure you had a productive working experience.
Pros
awsome staff
Cons
Small space

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sur La Table. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9