Sur La Table

Sur La Table United States Employee Reviews

Good environment with team players
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVApril 8, 2015
Pros: positive environment, encouragement from others.
Cons: sales goals for people not involved with sales on the floor
After clocking in, finding duties for the day and knowing what sales goals I needed. What it takes to run/work in a high-end kitchen store. Management worked closely with employees and adjusted schedule when needed. Co-workers made environment a great place to be and worked as a team. On a slow day, just hitting my goals could be very tough and sometimes impossible. The team and customers were my most enjoyable part of the work.
Looks great from the outside, not so much from the inside
Floor Lead (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Free coffee, generous discount, cooking classes
Cons: Poor upper management, lack of communication, lack of proper modern processes and systems.
Most days at work are understaffed and frantic. Little to no communication on a regular basis with poor planing on multiple levels. Systems are out of date and often times make general customer transactions difficult. Management is ineffective in any kind of development. Training exists but is not implemented and the staff pays the price for being undereducated on policy, procedure, and product. From corporate on down a constant saying i've heard and experienced is a high level of condescension from all levels of management. Co-workers can be fun, but are often very new to retail or sales in general. Hardest part of the job is getting excited to be there. Most enjoyable part of the job is the discount.
Mismanaged and unprofessional
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee), Sugar Land, TXMarch 23, 2015
Pros: friendly co-workers, learned some cooking tips
Cons: hours, pay, overworked, mismanaged
A typical day consisted of coming into work and beginning to prep for the cooking class/classes with the other kitchen assistants. About 1/4 of the time we would not have the ingredients needed for the class, or the ingredients would be expired. There was a nat problem in the kitchen and the solution was to place wine glasses full of soap water around the back counter and next to the drink station to try and catch the bugs. Ew. On top of that, three of the four chefs would all talk trash about each other behind each others back, and we were always short handed. I sometimes had to work a class by myself, no matter how many guests taking a class, so cleaning up after classes like that was always a pain. Corporate was always changing things regarding how the classes were run, and the retail part of the store hardly ever made the days goal in terms of sales. The only positive thing about this place were a few of the people that I worked with, they are what got me through the day. Had I known what was going on behind the scenes of this place, I would have never worked here.
Fun Products to Demo and Sell If You Like to Cook
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZMarch 3, 2015
Pros: employee discounts on the store's products
A typical day at work was assisting customers in finding the right product to solve the cooking issue or problem they had. Also recommended additional products which could multiply the benefit of the product the client wanted.

Management was very professional and fair.

Co-workers were very professional and helpful in assisting new employees to learn the store's products.

The hardest part of the job was processing shipments of new products and working on the annual inventory.

The most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job was finding a product that was exactly the product to meet the customer's needs.
Productive and fun place to work
Consultant (Former Employee), Seattle, WAFebruary 26, 2015
I enjoyed the people I worked with. The working hours are flexible and lots of interesting projects. The working environment allows all employees to have fun and learn as much as you can about the company by visiting their stores.
Fun loving learning environment with tons of room for laughter and eating
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: fun loving atmosphere
Cons: schedule was bit demanding time wise. i.e. late hours
A typical day would include me setting up chairs and tables for adult students who were about to embark on an exciting adventure of cooking and eating. I learned many different cooking terminologies and techniques that made my home-cooking life more interesting. I had fun- loving coworkers who always looked out for each other. The hardest part of the job was tolerating some of the music that was played after hours while cleaning. The most enjoyable part of the job was greeting the guests, and appropriately interjecting funny comments while the chef was teaching which would bring the class to a roaring laugh! and most importantly the eating. I loved eating the exquisite leftovers!
I like all of my coworkers and enjoy working here
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Canton, CTFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: fun coworkers and great products
Cons: very limited hours and low pay
My responsibilities vary from day-to-day and I like that. I enjoy interacting with customers and improving my knowledge of the products we sell. The store manager and all assistant managers are fair and fun to work with. I love the store and the products and enjoy sharing my passion with the public.
I am very grateful to have a job and like helping people.
Exciting, flexible, and fun position
Culinary Class Instructor (Current Employee), Sugarland, TxFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: flexible hours, enthusiastic staff, positive on site management
Cons: limited benefits
This position provides me with the ability to share my culinary and nutrition knowledge with enthusiastic patrons with the thrill of executing a sale. The culinary instructor is responsible for providing culinary education and entertainment to participants of culinary classes as well as promoting the sales of merchandise in the retail section of the store.
Lots of potential for good business but follow through lacks
Seasonal Hire/Sales Associate/Sales Lead/Asst (Former Employee), Nanuet, NYJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: sales incentives
Cons: breaks are not respected
The system is broken. Too much responsibility for managers with little to no support of upper management.
Great Coworkers, Fun environment
Merchandising and Visuals/ Sales Associate (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: coworkers, flexible hours
There is a great work atmosphere, of course the occasional grumpy customer that is usually associated with retail but still a pleasurable work environment. Perfect for those associated to the culinary world or those that are at least curious about it. If not, their training is extensive and you'll sound like a pro in no time!
Terrible Management
Sales representative (Former Employee), Carmel, INJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: employee discount
Cons: disorganized and unskilled management
The store went from a non existent, disengaged manager to a new manager who has no food understanding or experience, and has created a over pushy sales environment with little to no opportunity for advancement. The regional manager was very absent as well. Training was limited and this location is fortunate to have several quality people working the sales floor because they like the customers and products.
Not a professional environment
Customer Service Lead (Former Employee), Brownsburg, INDecember 14, 2014
Pros: the relationships that have been built.
Cons: the atmosphere.
It's a steady paycheck but not a career choice I would suggest for anyone. There is a "High School" Atmosphere and lots of back stabbing. Unfortunately, I ended up hating my job simply because of all of the childish behavior from most of the crew. There are a great few that work in the customer service department, however the majority make it way too difficult to even want to come to work.
Fun Filled Kitchen Wonderland for Foodies
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Carlsbad, CADecember 1, 2014
SLT is the place where you go to get everything you need to prepare a meal and serve it too. Great selection of cookware, cutlery, electrics, and everything else you need in a fully stocked kitchen. Table top dishes, silverware, and festive decorations are all available under one roof. With over 10,000 items there is a lot to learn. Working here has been great in that there is always the option for upward mobility. You can work hard and get out of this job exactly what you put in.
Sur La Table
Stock/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCNovember 24, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
Sur La Table is a fun and exciting work environment to work in. I'm a Stocker/Sale Associate and my day consist of unloading pallets from the truck, unloading boxes from the pallets, stocking the shelves, and when I'm not in the back I am ringing up customers.
Very Friendly
Sales Associate/ Cashier- Seasonal (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 6, 2014
The work environment was very comfortable and pleasant. Everyone including management were very considerate and friendly.
Great experience. Great staff to work with. Needs better vision.
Chef Instructor / Resident Chef (Former Employee), Sugar Land, TXOctober 31, 2014
Pros: employee discount
Cons: upper mgmt and company direction
I had a wonderful time working at the Sugar Land location. The customers/students made my days a lot of fun. I enjoyed teaching and I believed they enjoyed the learning experience and consistent knowledge. I had wonderful coworkers and great store managers and we were able to create a successful staff as managers to work for us. This resulted in a successful culinary program and thriving retail store. I do regret there was not enough help from upper management in regards to the many changes they would hand out and the work/life balance they insisted they wanted us managers to have. It became more about the numbers and not so much about quality, consistency, and good customer service.

All in all I had a great experience working with Sur La Table, good, bad, and indifferent.
Seasonal, but was by far the most enjoyable workplace.
Temp Cashier (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 17, 2014
The atmosphere was always peaceful. The co-workers... amazing and helpful. True team work! It took a little while to get used to locating where every item in the store was, but after a while everything became easy and it made my job more exciting.

From stocking and tagging merchandise to processing returns, interacting with the customers and answering questions about the products, even help opening up or closing down the shop, it was overall the happiest place I've ever worked.
fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Garden City, NYOctober 13, 2014
Very great looking expensive. New people and great environment.
Great place to work!
Sales Clerk (Current Employee), Newport BeachOctober 5, 2014
Pros: great culture, management, and employee discount.
Cons: low pay, low hours, and no health benefits
Sur la Table has the best work culture. It is a relaxed atmosphere with management that cares about its employees. I have been employed for two years and enjoy every day that I am there. The downside is low pay, low work hours, and lack of health benefits which has become standard for hourly-pay retail jobs. Sur la Table does compensate for this by offering a sizable employee discount and creating a strong culture that promotes friendship among employees. My overall experience has been fantastic and would recommend Sur la Table for anyone looking for part-time employment.
Pay is low
Sous Chef (Current Employee), Boulder, COOctober 3, 2014
Pros: everyone, management and employees are awesome
Cons: low pay
Great place to work! Pay is really low though and no P.T.O. but everyone who works there is really amazing, including management and employees! Great work environment

1 2 3 4 5

About Sur La Table

In 1972, the first Sur La Table store opened in Seattle’s Pike Place Market. It was a place where serious cooks found a – Read more

Sur La Table Salaries