Sur La Table Employee Reviews

A good job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 4, 2017
This was a nice job, but I always felt uncomfortable being a racial minority. It is not a demanding job, but does get busy during the holidays. They told me they had a regular position for me, but took me off the schedule after the holidays.
Pros
Relaxed, Exciting, Lots of food
Cons
Lack of diversity
Average Part-time job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 30, 2017
Work is fairly easy. Management is approachable and always willing to assist. Co-workers are very helpful, making it an enjoyable place to work. Hardest part of the job is very few hours, little pay and no benefits. Most enjoyable is knowing you have made the customers smile, satisfied their inquiries and guided them with their purchase.
Pros
Friendly, cooperative work environement
Cons
Poor pay, not flexible in hours for a part time job, no company loyalty and no benefit.
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Floor Lead (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMay 23, 2017
Great management and workplace environment, everyone is very helpful and hands on. The store is very proactive in doing what is best for the customer and employees.
A company in turmoil
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  COMay 17, 2017
Working at a Sur La Table can be stressful. There are not a lot of hours, sales are competitive, but with no commissions. There is a lot of information that you have to absorb with little support from the company. There really feels like there is no support from corporate, if your work in a store there is no appreciation, only "Why are you not doing better?". The things I do like are my staff and the products that come in.
Pros
Products, Staff
Cons
Pay, Hours, Corporate
Small boutique style environment
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 10, 2017
Workplace culture evolves with every new CEO. However it does improve. Low pay scale as compared to competitors. Give your experience here and then move on, as they aren't that loyal to tenure employees.
Pros
SM can make a lot of store decisions
Cons
pay scale is low in comparison to competitors
Fun place to work at
Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  1320 Upper East Side Manhatten, NYMay 5, 2017
Working At Sur La Table is fun and relax with the right team. The work load can be Stressful to one person. Need more people to do Stock position that I have. The old SLT that supportStock my current position to which is being Eliminate for the new SLT that doesn't​ supportStock.
Pros
Get free Coffee, Merchandise, Pay Raise
Cons
Not Enough hours, Less Managers, Staff less.
Good Company Going Through Changes
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 2, 2017
This is a good company that is going though some changes. I was a casualty of the work-force reduction that took place last year. Pay was good for management and the hours were fine as well. The stores are losing alot of their charm though. They still do have products from all over the world but not the same as in the past. They are starting to have many reproduced in China to cut costs. They have also cuts hours allotted to the stores making it more difficult to complete daily tasks and give the type of customer service given in the past.
Pros
Discount!
Cons
Corporate Changes
Great products and customer service.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 1, 2017
Enjoyed working here not only because of the products, the work ethics, upper management and customer, but was given the freedom to do what I wanted as a manager.
Nice work place good people to work with
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, INApril 24, 2017
I had a good time at sur la table I meet good people and it was a nice work environment. The pay is good and it's not a hard job. All I had to do was unload trucks and put the product on a pallet and wrap them up.
Its a fun place to work.
Chef Instructor (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 17, 2017
The store is a great place to work. We have a great time every shift and there is never a dull moment. The management team are very helpful. There are some great people that work at the store that make it worth working there.
Opportunity to teach others
Chef Instructor (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILApril 12, 2017
Provided with a set menu and recommended game plan for each class taught. Nice opportunity to teach a wide variety of cuisines and techniques. Great kitchen staff and kitchen management team
Pros
Retail discount
Fast-paced, energetic, great product to sell.
Floor Lead (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORApril 9, 2017
Lots of customer interactions; helping customers choose cookware; important to have knowledge about cooking and baking; company provides many ongoing trainings.
Fun environment
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 30, 2017
This was a fun comapny to work for if you like all things food and cooking. The only problem I had was that a manager was spreading rumors about it and it made it no fun
exciting place
Processor (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, INMarch 23, 2017
I learned how to do multiple things. Worked with an exciting crew who was fun and down to earth. The most enjoyable part about the job is that they cared about their staff and really appreciated them.
I like my Boss
Assistant Resident Chef (Current Employee) –  Los Gatos, CAMarch 22, 2017
The best thing I can say about Sur La Table, is I like my boss. The corporate structure finds it's self lacking, and HR is well intentioned but incompetent. Communication from corporate is frequently contradictory between different parts of the power structure.
Loved what I was doing, just not where
Chef Instructor, I (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 20, 2017
I enjoyed teaching people how to cook and bake. The only thing I didn't like was the inconsistent "leadership". It wasn't just from the immediate side of my managers, it also came from the corporate end. For example, using email to communicate with employees is one way to get fired from there. Nor can you really call or text people unless you are doing it in a specific way. Also, there were a lot of restrictions and regulations as to how you could actually do your job. None of which is truly surprising for a corporate environment, but it was the way they were implemented. This could all very well be just my experience at the particular store I worked at.
Terrible management, great kitchen
Asst. Resident Chef (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 6, 2017
the management system at this place was so terrible it wasn't even funny. lazy all the way around.

the best part working here was the helping the clients and working with the newest toys and kitchen gear.
Store had great people
Seasonal Floor Lead (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 5, 2017
Managers in the company seem to be great people. I had a very positive experience with the company. I was able to be promoted within and it was an easy transition because I knew how the company operated, made crazy holiday season easy for the store.
Great environment to work and learn various skills
Kitchen Assistant and Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 24, 2017
Though it is a great work environment in which an employee is able to learn various skills, the pay is not good and the few hours given are cut too easily.
fast pace quick day
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Brownsburg, INFebruary 23, 2017
great place to work, need better pay nothing hard about any area. would recommend friend for job. Most enjoyable part is the 8 hour days.
Pros
8 hour day paid lunch and break
Cons
short break

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sur La Table. Our community is ready to answer.