Sur La Table

Sur La Table Employer Reviews

What I have learned!!!
Picker/Packer (Current Employee), Brownsburg, INApril 26, 2013
Pros: i do like that we get a paid lunch and paid holidays and the benefits are really good.
Cons: the management is kind of bad in my opinion.
I have learned alot from working at Sur La Table. It has been my longest job that I have ever been with in my entire life. And basically it's my second family since I am there all the time. By working there for almost four years I have experienced the good and the bad parts of the company. In my department alone I am cross trained in all areas. Picking, – more... packing, consolidation, manifest, and giftwrap. Then in retail I know how to pick and how to consolidate. I am also cross trained in working stock management, ticketing, staging, and qc. In qc(quality control) I have worked covering retail, stock management, staging, ticketing, and cross dock. I always like to get my hours so I always try and learn new things to beable to work there a full day. I also have been the picker trainer for my department for the past three seasons meaning anytime we bring in new people or temps then I am in charge of training them. I also cross train employees in my department into two other departments. Retail and staging. I think that I'm very important person in my department. I am always there and the people are very nice. – less
Fun job, great products
Floor Lead, Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 23, 2013
Pros: great people, great customers, great products
Cons: little autonomy
I worked for this company during a time of transition. They were in the process of moving from being a small privately owned boutique chain to a large national brand.
Generally speaking, this was a very fun place to work. The job involved selling beautiful products to a customer base that was very motivated to buy them. Not a bad retail job. They also – more... promote from within. But as time went on, fewer and fewer of the decisions were being made at the store level and more were being made by corporate directive. This was frustrating as I along with many of the people I worked with felt very passionate and invested in the company and the products we sold. – less
Like any other retailer but fun products
Store Manager (Current Employee), NYApril 6, 2013
Pros: great discounts, fun innovative products, great customers, cooking classes
Cons: outdated technology and retail data systems, no open door policy, disconnect between stores and corporate, metrics more important than people, nights and weekends
Retail is the same no matter where you go. From small chains to large companies with over 1000 stores, it's all very similar. The communication between stores and upper management and corporate is often one sided. It's fun talking to people about cooking and entertaining, but often hard to meet goals and objectives that can seem unattainable.

The hardest – more... part is inspiring employees to be more focused on meeting and exceeding goals, when most are part time and receive no benefits. Also it's tough having a life outside of work because of the business needs and various blackout periods for time off. – less
Great Product.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Portland, ORMarch 7, 2013
I really enjoyed working for Sur La Table.
The manager identified and placed me appropriately to my skill level and talents at that time. I was given more than adequate support from staff and co-workers in training. There was no drama and I was able to renew my retail and loss prevention knowledge and skills.
A great place to work for people who like to cook and entertain
Store Manager (Former Employee), Los Gatos, CAMarch 6, 2013
60% of the job is customer interaction, the other 40% is people development. Ensuring your team is providing the best service possible- the company takes it very seriously. It's still a very small company so expect to speak to executives about your business and store performance on a regular basis.
Unique place to shop, HORRIBLE place to work!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), CaMarch 6, 2013
Pros: competitive pay
Cons: no values, no accountability, harsh and harassing work environment
Take my advise, promote yourself to customer and stay away. For such an immature company, you would be shocked they've been around for over 40 years. This company has zero accountability and have some of the most egotistical and rude management I've ever worked for (and I've been in retail management for 15 years). Not only that, but they seem to only – more... promote those who have a cut-throat attitude and encourage that over developing people. The product assortment is unique, but this company is clearly not committed to development, advancement or values at all. I was berated by my store manager on a daily basis, even on days when one of us was off through calls and text messages. On occasion, I was even subjected to harassment from other store managers over the phone. I tried to bring harsh work conditions and harassment to the attention of district and corporate managers and my reward was a one sentence termination document and the unemployment line. Yes, California is an "at will" state, but retaliation is against the law. Just to make a point, I really am not a bad worker. In fact, I have been with a new company for less than a year and I've already received two promotions based on high performance. Development and recognition are not part of Sur La Table's culture. I vehemently recommend you keep your distance. There are so many better places out there. – less
Great place to learn about kitchen equipment that is on the market
Receiver/ Foor Lead/ Sales Associate (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: gives you a good opportunity to interact with customers
Cons: scheduled work hours 12-20 hours per week
Not much to say here. The company is a retail business and as such you deal with typical retail high points and low points.

February 6, 2013

Don't some of these comments sound like they come from a Sur La Table advertisement ? Interesting

productive, steady work
Picker/Packer (Former Employee), Brownsburg, INJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: overtime
Cons: short breaks
there was alot of drama at this job, it was also unorganized, during holidays , we recieved gift cards. wasn't too enjoyable,
it is an interesting place to work with
Sale Associate (Former Employee), Braintree, MAJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: free coffee
Cons: cheap, too little people to work with in a store
it is fun place to work, you get to lean a lot about cooking, and cooking tools.
you learn how the coffee machine works.
there is 7 kind of drinks you can make from one machine
Cook's Paradise
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVJanuary 19, 2013
Pros: free coffee, discounts.
Cons: not full time.
The staff are all a bunch of foodies that love to talk shop and chop in the kitchen. One of the best things about the job is the free coffee you get from our espresso machines. The management works with your schedule. The hardest part of the job is not spending you rentire paycheck there.
Loved the packing
Packer (Former Employee), INJanuary 15, 2013
Pros: days went fast
Cons: big breakable orders took longer to pack
Get packing orders, they come down belts in boxes, verify order idems. Wrap and pack, put in boxes and print shipping labels. Send out orders on another belt. My co-workers were great. Management was ok, job was not that hard. Like working with people
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee), Kirkland, WAJanuary 4, 2013
Sur la Table is a great place to work! I work part time and they are very flexible with my schedule. The people are great and very supportive in the culinary program.
Seasonal to corporate in less than a year
Corporate Analyst (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: awesome perks, discounts, coworkers, management, parties
Cons: typical retail cons.
I started as an hourly seasonal employee last holiday season, and after working hard enough to distinguish myself, I was kept on as a regular, part time associate. After a few months, I distinguished myself enough to become a part-time manager. After a few more months of working hard, distancing myself from others, and making a name for myself in the – more... company, I was recruited to a full-time corporate position.

I'm not going to lie - it was rough. The pay wasn't GREAT, the hours were long sometimes, but it paid off, because I knew my endgame. Management was always there to help out, told me what I needed to do, how to do it, but, as always, it was because I asked without being told, and did things without being asked.

As a store employee, working in the store was fun - getting to know regular customers, helping them plan dinners/events, learning about new products and foods, etc.

The fun times continued as a corporate employee. Corporate parties, food contests, awesome upper management, etc.

If you work hard and distinguish yourself, you can go far. – less
OK
Retail Associate (Current Employee), Brownsburg, INJanuary 3, 2013
this workplace is not for the career minded individual. the hours change at will. the supervisors are unfair. the cleanliness of the workplace is poor.

February 19, 2013

this is a very true statement!

customer service oriented workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Annapolis, MDDecember 27, 2012
Most days consist of customer service, serving coffee and sampling products we sell at the store.
Work in a challenging team atmosphere
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee), Brownsburg, INDecember 18, 2012
Work to be the best team player and top producer. Be a coach by example, help co-workers to produce more and better work and help management acheive their goals. I enjoy work and even though I want challenges I don't feel any complications and I am compatible with my managers. I enjoy setting those goals higher!
Friendly and fun environment
Retail Sales Representative (Current Employee), Los Gatos, CADecember 4, 2012
Pros: fun and lively work environment
Cons: corporate doesn't replenish out of stock products quickly enough
Management is easy going but is firm about what tasks need to be accomplished for the day for the store as a whole as well as on an individual basis. Co-workers are kind and always willing to help each other out if lacking in product knowledge for a customer or simply to gain knowledge for their own benefit on the sales floor.
The hardest part of the – more... job is only when there are not enough sales associates on the floor to meet customer rushes and demands. But that fluctuates with what day of the week it is and what time of the day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that the entire staff shares the same enjoyment of cooking and/or baking. The environment of the store makes a person feel as if they're working with people who are like family. – less

December 10, 2012

Dear Sur La Table employee, Friendly perhaps, but doesn't pay the bills. Sincerely, Disenchanted ex-employee. Ps. Just what "IS" the reality at Sur La Table? It's quite the mystery isn't it?

Indulge your inner fat kid!
Store Manager (Current Employee), Seattle, WADecember 4, 2012
Pros: the people, the product, the discount!
Cons: growing pains, unstructured performance management.
I love my job. I frequently say that I am starving by 11:00 everyday because all I do is talk about food. That's pretty true, too. Generally, my customers are people who love what the company does and are excited just to be in the store. Sometimes, very rarely, the customers aren't so fun, but that's why I don't volunteer for Sur La Table. The people – more... I work with are typically fun, energetic and passionate about food and entertaining. It can seem a little intimidating, but all levels of expertise are welcome at this table whether you consider yourself a culinary pro, hostess with the most-ess or just like to eat!
One of the harder aspects of the job is that as the company grows, the corporate "snapshots" of your store become fewer and farther between and can even be based on second or third hand experiences, which is tough to combat. It gives me pause that in protecting the image and values of the brand that leadership can appear to lose sight of the people that drive their success. Then again, that's just my snapshot of the situation, but also another reason that not volunteering is a good trade.
On the surface, it's hard to complain about a work/life balance when the brand you represent is cooking oriented. The line becomes pretty gray between what is work and what is fun. There are times, though, when it is glaringly obvious that - no matter how fun the job is - you need to tend to other priorities in your life, too, because at the end of the day the bottom line is still that this is a for profit company and the responsibility to your life balance is yours to protect.
Like I said, I love my job. The job isn't always rainbows and unicorns, but it is a pretty good gig compared to other retailers. While I know it isn't realistic to believe, I do like to think that I could be working for the last employer of my retail career. – less
Not worth the 40% discount
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UtahNovember 27, 2012
Pros: 40% discount great co workers
Cons: horrible management, poor company policy
I was excited when I got hired on for Christmas a couple years ago. I love cooking and I love the store. That quickly changed after my first week. The Manager and Assistant Manager are very rude. They have their favorites that they will break company policy for but if they don't like you they make things very tough. Not enough training or opportunities – more... for training on your own.They could at least send you home with a packet on the product. Not easy to communicate with management as well. Instead of giving the employees they had more hours they would hire more. And what is with being on call? Also not a fan of them having me coming in for a couple hours then sending you home. I really wished this could have worked out because the rest of the staff was great! And the Key Holders were more competent than management. – less
This place makes Jack in The Box look good
Sales Associate (Former Employee), CaliforniaNovember 25, 2012
Pros: great customers and products
Cons: it's a milder version of selling cars with a minimum wage salary if you are lucky.
I'm not kidding. First, Jack in The Box has integrity. If you work part time, you get the 20 hours you ask for. At Sur La Table, they kept you guessing . Your hours are based on unrealistic sales goals. They will send you home with only two hours. Secondly, Jack in The Box has a code of ethics and treats there employees with dignity . At Sur La Table – more... you feel like a number. Finally, you're pretty much on your own for training. They will give you a day or two, but you will have to do your home work for the $9.00 and hour job. – less

About Sur La Table

In 1972, the first Sur La Table store opened in Seattle’s Pike Place Market. It was a place where serious cooks found a – Read more