Surdna is a New York City-based private foundation that was founded by John E. Andrus in 1917. With endowment assets of over $900 million, Surdna seeks to foster sustainable communities in the United States with an overall grants/operations budget of $45 million and staff of 26 adept individuals. The office environment is collegial, professional, invigorating, and rewarding. Surdna is considered a leader in grantmaking, (see www.surdna.org), and seeks an Assistant Controller, with an emphasis on investment analysis, that reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer and coordinates with the Human Resources and Administrative Manager. The position will add value and additional control over financial, investment, and administrative operations. The salary is based on experience and with an anticipated range of $60,000 to $110,000 per annum with exceptional employee benefits.
Overview: The ideal Assistant Controller candidate is someone that started a career in finance and investments, potentially someone in public accounting, ready to make a career move into the nonprofit sector. Top notch interpersonal skills will be required as the position interacts with all levels of staff, external professionals, and the board on a regular basis. Bring your sharp analytical finance and investment background to a terrific work environment in an organization making a difference in the United States. We anticipate a relatively long requirement process to find the right candidate for the position, which would likely start with a phone interview. If you meet the requirements for this position and feel it’s the right opportunity for you, please submit your background to the e-mail address below. Absolutely no phone calls or recruiters please.
- Oversee all aspects of the foundation’s books and records and maintain the general ledger
- Manage, prepare, and plan the year-end audit process with external auditors
- Liaison with the foundation’s Audit Committee and maintain conflict-of-interest compliance
- Liaison with the foundation’s Investment Committee
- Record and reconcile basic accounting payroll and investment transactions
- Prepare quarterly internal budgetary reports for the board of directors
- Interface with investment managers and track K-1 information for tax reporting
- Liaison with investment custodian
- Maintain a tax calendar of key filing and estimated tax payment dates
- Calculate estimated excise tax payments and track spending requirements
- Assist with grant management and other internal reporting systems
- Lead special projects: improving communication of financial data throughout the foundation
- Impeccable integrity and outstanding communications and interpersonal skills
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in accounting/financial reporting (nonprofit experience is not required)
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or MBA with a concentration in Business, Finance, or Accounting is required
- CPA strongly preferred, as well as, public accounting experience with medium to larger firm
- Strong working knowledge of investments ranging from marketable to alternatives, to private equity/venture capital, to hedge funds
- Experienced with all aspects of maintaining a general ledger and related books and records
- Proficient in Excel and related Microsoft programs, AccPac and Concur experience a plus
- Ability to work with all levels of employees and Board of Directors
- Strong analytic and reconciliation skills, self-starter, and intellectually curious
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Excellent comprehensive employee benefits package
To apply (with complete confidentiality):
All eligible candidates should submit the following two documents via e-mail:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role, current salary and where you saw the position advertised.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
We appreciate your interest in the organization and this position; however due to the volume of applications received only qualified candidates will be contacted.
No phone calls please.
Surdna Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.