Surya Employee Reviews

Great forward thinking environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  White, GAAugust 8, 2017
Great place to learn and hone your skills, excellent mentors who care about your future. Great positive work space, where they encourage you to think creatively.
productive work place
Packing and Shipping (Former Employee) –  Calhoun, GANovember 30, 2016
Enjoyed working at Surya except the fact that I was the only American on the floor. Only 5 women, the rest were Hispanic men. The hours and management were very respectable.
Cons
no benefits
Designers- Don't Work Here!
Product Development/ Designer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 11, 2016
This was the most demeaning place I have ever worked. If you take a design position here, you will certainly regret it - for many different reasons. The most offensive aspect about this job was that the design director places designers under two categories- 'I like you' or 'I dislike you'. Unfortunately, this isn't based on merit- not based on talent, performance, experience or a willingness to work extremely hard (and it doesn't matter how nice you are, or how hard you try to please management). Designers don't know why, but most just won't be given any opportunities to prove themselves and will find themselves stuck. Successes will not be acknowledged, and management will take credit for them. The designers who are favored are given rewarding design opportunities- but this is one or two (two at most) out of the group. On a daily basis, the designers walk on eggshells, and the majority are completely ignored- as if they are not there. It is a tyrannical environment. My advice to any designer who values their talent, their education, or wants to develop their talent and skill- don't work here. Most people are looking to get out as soon as possible.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Management shows a complete lack of respect for the employees, unprofessional management, poor work environment, no growth, pay is low, the leaders of this company drink to the point of oblivion at trade shows- embarrassing
Fun work place
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Calhoun, GASeptember 30, 2016
Everyone was welcoming and helpful to learning the job. Just wish it wasn't a temporary position. The management was great and they worked with me when my fiancé was in the hospital for 4 days straight. A typical day at work would be going in and receiving a slip of paper that told me what carpets needed to be pulled. I would match the number with the one on the carpet roll and pull it from the shelf to be sent.
Run Far Away
Ecommerce Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calhoun, GASeptember 19, 2016
- Terrible benefits: 21 days of PTO days after 10 years of service
- President is arrogant and is too busy planning the "future" to see the basic and detrimental issues happening in real time
-Management has no understanding on how to manage people/their teams and find ways to pass your work off as their own
- This company has ZERO internal integrity
- Only positive is the new skills I gained that will help me get a new job
- Great if your fresh out of college, but take the knowledge and leave quickly
Great party-line, but reality is much different
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaAugust 25, 2016
Surya has invested in a GREAT public relations department and puts up a great front, but once you start working it doesn't take long for reality to set in. Management is seriously lacking in communication skills. They have no trouble giving orders, but they need to learn how to ask and LISTEN to the employees that are doing the actual daily labor of the company. The employees that are fielding calls from irate and cussing customers and ticked off vendors. THIS is where your improvement comes from. This is how you learn your company's weaknesses. They haven't seemed to have figured that out yet. I believe this company has the potential to be phenomenal, but they can't even be considered mediocre right now. If you don't mind swallowing the party line and being nothing but a number, by all means, apply. Otherwise, keep looking.
Pros
monthly meeting with breakfast, great coworkers, health benefits
Cons
interdepartmental static, uninterested management, no overtime allowed, sharing ideas isn't encouraged, low pay, 401k vesting is ridiculous, regular office supplies not available
Great Place to work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 6, 2016
Surya was a great place to work. Management was amazing and understanding. Learned many new skills that I would have not otherwise have.
Good place to start my IT career.
Network Admin/ PC support Technician (Current Employee) –  Calhoun, GAMarch 1, 2016
Co-workers are easy to get along with, Management just doesn't seem to know what direction their going. Always changing their minds about everything and never giving clearly defined requests or tasks.
Pros
Christmas parties, and monthly free breakfast.
Cons
upper management's unclear direction.
Surya - growing into home decor
Design Sales Specialist, West Florida (Former Employee) –  West FloridaDecember 16, 2015
Surya is well known for their beautiful and wide selection of rugs. They have expanded their product categories into to bedding, lighting, art as well as other categories too. Being a design sales specialist allowed me to work with an array of different clients using different strategies to meet their business needs. I learned ways to analyze, develop, and execute programs and promotions.
Pros
Different everyday
Great coworkers and fast paced.
Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Calhoun, GAAugust 23, 2015
Productive workplace, building a new building that will make Surya a whole lot better environment. Not enough space in the offices. Great place to work for.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales & Market Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calhoun, Ga.September 23, 2014
Surya focuses on empowerment, engagement, and collaboration. Everyday hard working individuals are focused on making the customer happy.
Pros
Talented co-workers and rapidly growing company
Cons
Frequent travel with long hours
Surya
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Calhoun, GAMay 1, 2014
A typical day at work would include prospecting for new accounts, calling leads, setting up new accounts and working to grow existing accounts. I continuously had goals that I would strive to achieve including call volume, new accounts opened and money brought in to the company. My goals were measured on a weekly, monthly and yearly basis.

Surya is a b2b company, and I learned how to effectively work with business owners by helping them grow their business. I learned to take the "sales" out of salesperson, and bring a more personalized approach to solving the needs of the business owners.

My co-workers were all around the same age as myself, but were all among different demographics and backgrounds. I soon came into a leadership role which allowed me to train incoming employees. As a result, I created our new hire website that was used as a company wide tool to train new hires.

About 6-8 times a year the company would participate in industry trade shows. The hardest part of the job was setting up our showrooms. Our typical showroom would be approximately 25,000 square feet. We send a team of 5 to set up these showrooms in about 3-5 days working 12-14 hour days.

The most enjoyable part of my job was watching accounts that I personally opened do repeat business. This is the key to the success of our company. Our last fiscal year our sales team brought in $85 million and I felt good about being a major contributor to that number.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Compensation and commute
Tyrannical Management out for their own good at the cost of the employees!
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Calhoun, GAMarch 27, 2014
This company is run with an iron-fist by the owner and upper-management. The term "cultural differences" is bandied about as a way to negate the horrible way that they treat underlings and females. This company has absolutely no care for the safety of employees whether they are in the shipping warehouses or the product development team. The term "good old boys syndrome" is in clear evidence as soon as you walk in the door. A single person is not allowed to make a decision unless a meeting about the meeting about the proposal of the meeting is attended by the COO, President and CIO.I have witnessed first hand where a wonderful idea for time-management, money-saving procedures could be put in place but because the MANAGEMENT did not come up with it, it automatically was rejected. They expect you to check your email 24/7 yet will not answer an email unless it is IMPORTANT to them.Forget competitive pay there is no such thing at this company.Also good luck getting unemployment when they terminate you as they will lie and create some situation that will appear that you were at fault.I would not even recommend this company to a newly released convict that could only find a job at a wafflehouse. At least at Wafflehouse they would be treated with more respect.
Pros
Non-management employees are all hardworking people
Cons
Non-competitive, Discriminatory against non-Indian ethicity
A Very Hard Company to Work For- Don't Do It
Marketing, sales, product development (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 4, 2014
Surya is a hard place to work. It looks like an up and coming company at first- fast growth, lots of young, hard working employees with a lot of drive- BUT as time goes on, day after day of pushing through tight deadlines, difficult situations, and poor working conditions, it starts to sink in that management really doesn't care that much about the employees. They ask a lot- give little in return. There's a lot of talk about growth, the success of the company and milestones in $ made as if it is benefitting all of us- in actuality, none of this is effecting the day to day difficulties of working here, or the salaries. Processes are not improved, computers and programs are never updated, the physical environment is extremely uncomfortable (at best- ridiculously cramped and employees don't have desks), benefits are never improved even though employees have complained for years that they are insufficient, you are expected to be on email 24/7, my boss is often rude and demeaning, and worst of all the pay is very low by industry standards. Not only is it difficult to keep up with the demands in your daily work but- no matter what your job actually is (I have a desk job), this company fully expects that employees will do hard physical work each time there is a trade show- this means working weekends and evenings to set up for markets moving thousands of rugs, boxes, furniture, cleaning, etc. and driving however long it takes to get there, which is often 5-6 hours. That's on top of your actual responsibilities in your job description. Management always makes the promise of improvements  more... but they very,very slow & small- definitely not in sync with the millions this company is making from the hard work of the employees. I have hung in there for a long time believing that things would get better, but I think my eyes are finally open to the fact that not much is going to change here. Had I known, I would not have taken this job.  less
Pros
Few
Cons
Difficult- physically & mentally

Comment – October 22, 2014

I wrote this review last January, and couldn't have anticipated that I could ever feel worse about working for this company- but I do. Conditions have gotten far worse since then, and I'm appalled at the complete lack of respect Surya shows to any of their employees- whether they are senior level or entry level. We're all treated so badly that it could easily called abuse. Pay is very, very low by industry standards, and you will be put through the ringer. Trust this review- you will be sorry if you accept a job here- you will regret it!!

Poorly Run - Top-Down dictatorial micro-managed environment - Owner is egotistical - totally in it for himself!
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Calhoun, GAOctober 31, 2013
The reviews that had been posted (those that are negative) are all true. Especially when someone else said it this way- "This company is poorly run and they refuse to correct issues that they hire professionals to fix. The president thinks he knows everything and puts other knowledgeable people down and fires them when they attempt to have a voice or make suggestions. He surrounds himself with "yes men" and recently promoted his unqualified girlfriend to a VP role over several other better qualified employees.

They have extremely unrealistic expectations of new staff, expecting them to understand their poorly run business in 4 weeks - without any training or orientation. They also refuse to pay their sales reps any kind of salary and expect them to work for low commissions - then the president boasts millions of dollars in sales."

Think of the audacity for certain people who are asked (told) to provide good reviews on here. There are none. I'm posting this as a current employee and know that if they found out who I am, I would be released immediately. But I also feel that I owe this review to people who have to make a choice. Don't work here unless you absolutely have to!!!

Internal Perspective - Surya's growth is definitely at the expense of many wonderful, younger employees - I only say younger because they (we are perceived) that we don't know any better. Many of us continue to think we will move up - this will never happen at this place. We never know where we stand because it is run by an "Indian Boys" Club. Very egotistical people and business approach - lots
  more... of talking down to employees-even those that have stellar careers and impressive backgrounds. The management flies this place by the seat of their pants. There is absolutely no human resource function in place to provide any guidance or parameters.

There is no respect and the owner rules this place. He is quoted in every press release - he is the one who wins the awards - he is the one on the radio - he is in it for himself. I've never heard him thank his employees for any of the awards. At a recent company meeting, he expressed that Delta and Apple and other major corporations are the past and his company is the future. What arrogance!

It is a call-center environment and this is an absolute joke. We use a CRM system to gauge every minute and every conversation and every result. If your dashboard tells them your accounts are falling behind - you have personal meetings with your supervisor.

If you did not log the call or made a mistake, you get scolded. And, the training is virtually non-existent. n fact, it is the first place where I have worked when you do ask a question, you are laughed at and made fun of.

They keep cutting sales reps territories and giving the accounts to us as internal people. Totally counter productive and against everything that screams the american way. What incentive would I have to build my territory when - just as I have success and build my territory - you take the growth away. This is also happening inside!

Travel and the way we are treated is a joke. You share rooms with complete strangers and travel on free air mileage. No privacy. No concern for the employee. Company makes huge sales and they put you up in less than desirable accomodations. As a female, this is scary and not advisable. The owner drives a porsche and they question my mileage??

They talk about "their culture" and I see capable and impressive people come and go. Some people are there 1 month and leave because they hate it - and they are fortunate - as they got to leave. Others are here for 1 Year and they hate every minute of this place. While I can be objective and chalk some of this turnover to growth - most of it is attributed to people leaving on their own or they are pushed out by the boys club.

The company was trying to raise money for a charitable organization recently - and one of the top managers actually suggested to take the money out of our (the runners' pay) - with or without our permission. Charity based on "strong-arm" tactics. You gotta love that! The company and the owner receive applause when they hit the charitable goal - all at the expense of the employees (again).

While the Atlanta job market is difficult, I hope to find something else very soon. I have to get out of this restrictive and unappreciated environment very soon. I dislike being here every day.
Pros
It is a job and only a job!!!
Cons
From the Outside - Products are Innovative - but a lot of this is also smoke and mirrors.
Very Poorly run; Egotistical President and So-called Leadership Team
Sales (Former Employee) –  Calhoun, GAJuly 5, 2013

They will hire you and then don't let you do your job. They have fired 2 HR managers, 1 PR manager, 1 Creative Director, 1VP Sales, 1 Photographer, a training director, and a product development director -- all of these people have been tossed over the past 2 years and up to the recent months. All of these people were well credentialed and professionals in their fields. They were fired because they were a threat to the president, COO and VP is Sales. When staff asked about why these people were let go, they were told lies like "they weren't a good fit" or "they didn't fit in with 'the culture'." they are known for hiring people to get certain information from them and then they cast them out without a care, placing them in a sudden financial bind with no severance. They are unoriginal and they cheat to get ahead - they are not com

The leaders of this company
  more... try to copy everything that other businesses do - including businesses outside of their industry. They do this and call it "innovation" but it is not. They are competitive in a productive manner, but more like bullies who either buy their way in or step over and steal ideas from other with no humility. Everything they do is self-serving with no consideration of fair play in business. They are unscrupulous.

They often say that they can do anything because they are a privately held company.

If you are looking for a career and employer who will value and support you, this is NOT the place to work -- even the actual work areas are bad - feels like you are working in a third world country. They do not encourage or allow collaboration between departments and if you attempt to do this to get your work done, you will be chastised and told not to without their approval.

You will not excel at this company and your work and skills will not be valued here.
Pros
Some great colleagues with great ideas; friendships developed.
Cons
Very high turnover, egotistical and ignorant leaders, no HR department, no legal counsel, hot and crowded single workroom, unsanitary bathrooms, people set up to fail, no career growth
Company has a larger turnover than I had seen before. The controller I worked for, until she quit, was very nice and knowledgeable,
COLLECTIONS/ACCOUNTING (Former Employee) –  Calhoun, GAJanuary 17, 2013
The company has a larger turnover by layoffs and quitting than I was used to. I enjoyed collections and accounting as I have done these jobs for a number of years. I liked the fact that the controller trusted me to do the job I was hired to do plus the additional assignments she had given me. The hours were normal 40 hours per week so you could have family time on the weekends. Most of the people I worked with had been there for a rather short period of time. I called on collections on past due accounts, put accounts on hold, released them and researched balances open on invoices.
Pros
the hours were normal for an office and the pay was close to what you might expect.
Cons
you never knew when layoffs would take place or who might resign next.
Stressful
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calhoun, GAJune 4, 2012
A very stressful place to work. Communication skills there between workers was insufficent.
I loved doing my job however things there were very unorganized.