Susan G. Komen For The Cure

Susan G. Komen For The Cure Employee Reviews

Very productive
Communications Intern (Former Employee), Tampa, FlJune 17, 2015
Everyday there would be an endless list of things to do. However, sometimes the management would not staff the store on the busiest days; creating a sometimes stressful environment to work because of juggling so many things at once. However, the employees were always cheerful and fun to be around.
Visual Communications Intern
Visual Communication Intern (Former Employee), Portland, ORApril 18, 2015
The Oregon and SW Washington Susan G. Komen affiliation strives to set goals high. I served 3.5 months as a Communications Intern in the Portland office and absolutely LOVED working with the personable people there! Their passion is contagious! I was also able to develop my graphic design portfolio and challenge myself as a young professional. Thank you Komen Oregon for being so approachable and supportive!
Intern
Intern, Group Volunteer Intern (Former Employee), portland oregonMarch 11, 2015
helped with group volunteers for the race 2009
maintain all applications
communicated with group leaders
recruit new volunteer groups
mission is amazing
Executive Director (Current Employee), Cheyenne, WYNovember 26, 2014
This company provides each affiliate the ability to obtain their own success. The day to day fundraising is always a tough position but at the end of the day, after granting into the communities, it is all worth it and rewarding.
Great experience working in non-profit
Affiliate Network Internship (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 4, 2014
I enjoyed working for Susan G Komen for a Cure. I liked knowing that my work was going towards a positive cause and felt like I had ownership over my work. Although it was only an internship for a summer, I felt like I was treated with respect and that my work was valuable to my team and company.
Great organization
Event Manager (Former Employee), El Paso, TXDecember 5, 2013
Learned the management aspects of a non profit organization.
Great place to intern
Finance Intern (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: flexible work hours
Great place to work and too learn. Its nice helping out people in need for a non-profit organization.
Fun and meaningful workplace
Office Aid (Former Employee), Lafayette, LAJuly 1, 2013
Very gratifying job working towards finding a cure for breast cancer
Volunteer for Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure
Volunteer (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCMay 2, 2013
Volunteer Chair and Committee member. Great organization
Employees have passion for what they do, but for what?
Fundraiser (Former Employee), Dallas, TexasApril 17, 2013
Pros: the passion of the employees, the people who sat around me were great people
Cons: upper-management, disorganized, fundraising department
I worked for Komen for about a year, then left as soon as I found another position. The management seemed as though they were scared to step "out of the box" because they would get their hand slapped by upper management. Working in the fundraising department, it was very disorganized and for Komen being such a large non-profit, you would think they would know how to cultivate and retain donors. My first day I was told mutliple times, "oh we don't do that" or "why do we have to do that?" Coming from a well organized development department from my previous employer I was expecting for Komen to understand how and why you send thank you cards to your donors. We would have donors send $50,000 checks, without even a thank you given, because there was nothing in place. It seemed like it was just a "wing it" kind of place and I would never work for them again, because I felt like such a small person who could not give any ideas to upper-management. I also found out where their funding went to, and I could not work there knowing only small amounts of funding (small considering how much they fundraise) go to pharma based research projects. They would never give funding to any researcher that was not already given millions of dollars by pharma companies.
In charge of the overall operations of the affiliate.
Executive Director (Former Employee), San Juan, PRAugust 1, 2012
Pros: very challenging. the reason behind the job.
Cons: did not have work/life balance. no advancement opportunities.
Responsible for the start-up and overall operation of the Affiliate.
Supervised the day-to-day administration of the Affiliate.
Principal spokesperson and promoter of the Organization. Coordinated, produced, and oversaw fundraising activities. Responsible for the marketing and public relations.
Prepared the annual budget and monthly financial reports.

It was an unknown organization when I started working at Komen. Seven years later, it was the most known cancer organization in Puerto Rico, together with the American Cancer Association who had been on the island for 30 years at the time.
Meaningful and a positive work enviroment
Corporate Relations Specialist (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 17, 2012
Pros: holiday days, vacation, benefits
Cons: lack of funds
Komen is a mission driven organization. I have learned a lot about non-profits, sponsorship, cause-marketing, event planning and fundraising. Komen is made up of over 90% women. The hardest part of my job is lack of funds and the most enjoyable part is the passion.