Susan G. Komen Employee Reviews

Passionate organization, but lacks room for diversity initiatives
Contracted Community Resource Advocate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 2, 2016
Friendly co-workers, but the fast paced office made it hard for newbies to fit in. The CEO had little excitement for diversity initiatives, as the focus was solely on earning money from past supporters rather than recognizing disparate groups and building long-term relationships. The community could see through our false advertising and did not believe we had a genuine cause for reaching new groups. The best part however for me was recognizing the need for diversity initiatives and being a strong leader by example among the community.
Pros
Stylish office.
Cons
Heavy focus on fundraising rather than direct services to new community groups, poor reputation of the company prior to starting my role.
Great Work Life Balance
Manager, Accounting (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 9, 2017
Susan G Komen is a great organization with a great cause. With many flexible work options, the work life balance was awesome. The hard part of that was working with so many remote employees.
Pros
37 1/2 hour work week
Cons
too many remote employees
Independent at your own pace work environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 16, 2016
A regular day at Susan G. Komen is a day at an office. It can have its slow moments, and all of the sudden it may become robust. Ive learned much more when it comes to conducting interviews and the traits of research and databases. There were no other co.workers, other than my manager(preceptor) who was very passionate of health and professional. The hardest part of the job was staying productive on a day that yielded no customers or projects. Most enjoyable part of the job was working at a your own pace and meeting diverse individuals at events.
Productive, eye-opening, fun environment
Internship (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 24, 2012
Managed the volunteer and the volunteer system (Raisers Edge), managed the referral line for Komen funding, helped edit parts of the new website, attended health fairs and taught men and women about breast health and breast cancer, mailings, faxing, scanning, basic office functions. Helped with grant reviewing and filing (GeMS).

Overall, a few inviting, fun, eye-opening experience about how Komen operates.
Volunteer Work
Servicio al cliente (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRJuly 19, 2015
This was an event to help raise money for the cure of breast cancer. I got to work with customer service by selling shirts. It was a great experience.
Lovely group of people to work for and all for a great cause.
Office and Volunteer Director (Former Employee) –  FLApril 29, 2013
Typically came into work, assigned volunteers various tasks to complete, help constituents register for Race for the Cure, handle social media accounts and create/edit monthly newsletters. Oversee administration employees as well as organize/attend various networking/fundraising events.
Pros
flexible schedule, great group of people to work with.
Cons
No health benefits, pay is lower than with for-profits
Incredible benefits!
Sr. Accounts Payable Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 20, 2015
The company standard is a 37.5 hour work week. The health benefits were amazingly affordable for an individual and the PTO policy is very generous.
Productive and fun volunteer place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 6, 2013
Planning for the Bowl for the Cure started around September or October each year. While there I learned what it takes to plan events and run a business. Everyone worked closely with each other to make sure everything went smoothly. The hardest part of the work I did was setting up in the morning, if people were late it affected everyone. The most enjoyable part of volunteering there was the impact we all made. At the end of the weekend of the bowl when the money was all counted up and we saw how much we made and how much it would help Susan G. Komen, it was an amazing feeling.
Pros
Met a lot of nice people, and made an impact on the world.
Cons
There were no breaks, you had to eat and work at the same time.
Excellent Experience
Event Chair (Current Employee) –  Ruston, LAJune 10, 2014
I had the opportunity to lead a council to organizing the largest non-profit race in Ruston history. I learned multiple skills of management that I will apply to my future occupation.
Great nonprofit to be a part of
Internship (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 26, 2013
I assisted with the communication manager with daily activities. I updated the website on a regular basis which I learned how to do when I started. I updated social media for the annual Laugh for the Cure event in February and on a regular basis as well. I edited write ups that were put on the website and helped organized the website.
I enjoyed working at Komen Charlotte so much and the group of women I worked with were amazing. The way they all worked together and having each others backs has made me realize how important it is to work as team.
It was a great experience that I will never forget.
Committed to finding the cure
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2012
SGKGNYC is a non-profit foundation that does wonderful work for women/men with medical crises, the fact that cancer has no face, age has been reinforced. I worked with men/women who have been directly affected or loved ones affected by breast cancer and were very passionate about their committment to a world without breast cancer. The harderst part of the job was receiving a call from the person who was just diagnosed, asking for help and hearing the fear and hesitation in their voice and one of the most enjoyable was receiving the call from a SURVIVOR!
High stress work environment with few answers to be found.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAFebruary 15, 2012
I learned a lot working here, but I wouldn't say that I had an enjoyable experience. I thought that I would like working for a non-profit company/organization, but the people I worked with soon changed that for me. I still stand behind everything this organization stands for and is working towards, but I now have a much different view and opinion of the people who work behind the scenes.
Pros
honorable cause and life changing experience.
Cons
poorly managed staff.
Rewarding atmosphere
Affiliate Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 22, 2013
Each day I know I am making a difference, helping people find the breast health services they need.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No benefits
internship experience
Internship (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, OHMay 5, 2014
Got great experience learning about how grant processes work. Loved the people who I worked with. It is a small, office environment that makes a huge impact in the breast cancer world! Great internship to have if you are going into communications or are interested in a non-profit organization. Would recommend this company.
Most satisfying job ever!
Affiliate Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Aspen, CODecember 29, 2013
Knowing that whatever you do in a day will have a positive ripple effect in the future is a strong motivation for making the most of every opportunity to reach out and touch a life.
Pros
Touching lives and impacting families can't be topped.
Cons
Hours can be long but satisfying.
Amazing Co-workers
Key Volunteer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 15, 2012
I love everyone who works for the San Diego affiliate. It's like going to work with your best friends and sisters. You are filled with joy and happiness the second you walk through the door. Support, friendship, and over all great energy fill this office daily.
Productive, challenging and high paced
Special Events Manager (Current Employee) –  NashvilleNovember 19, 2014
Great company with clear goals. Affiliates strive to meet target needs within the community and work round clock to advance healthcare, science, policy, and breast health education.
fun place to work
On Site Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 26, 2015
The great part about being a volunteer is being able to educate people on breast cancer awareness. You also receive incentives for volunteer work.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
no cons
Gives back to the community
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  FLSeptember 2, 2014
Unlike other national non-profits Susan G. Komen gives back to their communities with 75 percent of their net proceeds and 25 percent goes to national research. Great place to work and grow!
Pros
Volunteers
Love helping people
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TNMay 2, 2012
It varies on the activity and location.
Always meeting new people.
Pros
feel great about what you are doing
Cons
not being able to do it more often

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Susan G. Komen. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5