Sushi Zushi Employee Reviews

trying to do the right thing and grow
Server (Current Employee) –  Southlake, TXSeptember 29, 2016
ok company to work for, struggled with sales, good food that is made to order and excellent. good drinks and solid bar. offers free delivery. should add late night sales to get more bar business. outstanding happy hour.
fun
Hostess, Cashier, Server (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 22, 2016
good food, great culture, awesome playlists, very clean and easy to set up restaurant for the day. the food is pricey compared to other japanese restaurants.
Professional hospitality in high scale dining
Professional customer service (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 30, 2016
Trained all new hires and assisted in multiple different aspects of restaurant. Efficient with cash handling and day to day activities of monetary exchanges
Great people to work with
Sushi Chef (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 28, 2016
The other employees were great! During all the slow and crazy times at the location, they would always be there for you. The are great people who care for each other and watch out for each other. They are the only thing I am going to miss about that place.
Tight knit friendly team with mgmt that generally cares about you.
Delivery Driver and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 8, 2016
Typical day encompasses coming in 15-60 minutes before open and setting up the restaurant and getting set up in your delivery vehicle (as delivery driver), in your section (as server) or counting your register (as cashier). Opening duties and schedules will vary store to store, but most cases will involve pouring sauce and preparing the takeout area. Throughout the shift cashiers and drivers share duties with answering phones, QC on food, bagging orders, and helping customers at the counter. Most enjoyable part of the job is actually when its the busiest as time flies and you make the most money, cashier or driver. Hardest part is cleaning up/mopping at end of night (still pretty easy). I learned a good deal from observing my peers and supervisors about what makes a good boss and what doesn't. Management is for the most part competent and understanding that employees are not just robots, though I've seen a few philanderers who went after some of the female waitstaff (pretty typical for restaurant environment imo).
Pros
Team-like friendly atmosphere
Cons
Bring an issue to mgmt's attention? Congratulations that is now added to your duties, promotes apathy and not reporting problems to mgmt.
Great management, will work with school schedules
Server (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TexasMarch 8, 2015
This company is a great company to work for. Management cares about their employees on a level that is hard to find. When I was in school I never had a problem getting a shift covered or picking up more shifts based on my classes.
Cons
Must pay for parking
Fast paced environment with a high number of foreign patrons
Hostess (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 29, 2015
Every day required making a seating chart for servers, managing reservations, a clean work space, and a waiting list during peak business hours, as well as helping co-workers with various tasks. This gave me the ability to see everything that went on between all roles of a restaurant.
Out of the three managers, I believe management was well handled. However, there was a certain complex between management and their "favorites".
The hardest part of my job was handling language barriers. There were a lot of foreign customers and it was hard to figure out what they accepted as good service and to improve upon that ideal.
The best part of my job was the information I acquired about sushi and various food items! It was like an education on several types of sushi and other Japanese foods!
Pros
Discount on entire menu
Cons
Too many hostesses, causing a drop in hours one could work per week
I have enjoyed working at Sushi Zushi, the atmosphere is awesome and my guests and coworkers are great.
Server/Waiter (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 28, 2015
During my time here at Sushi Zushi I have grown to love so many things about it. The people I work with, my guests and of course the amount of money I have made. Management is great aside from a few acceptions. I highly enjoy the fast pace lunch and dinner rushes and the hustle and bustle of the holiday times. The hardest part though is the slow times like right now. I have made lots of great friends there but of course like all work places, I am there simply to work hard and achieve the highest possible profit from my guests.
Pros
walking out with money everyday, friendly coworkers and guests
Cons
no healthcare benefits for servers or any front of the house employees
Fun Environment
Head of Vehicle Maintenance, Driver (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 10, 2015
Sushi Zushi is a fun place to work! The food is great and the staff is very friendly. The management team is easy to get along with, very involved and they're available to ask for help. Delivery driving is a great job and pays very well, but it is definitely stressful at times because the order volume is very high and the delivery radius is too big.
Good place to work and opportunity for advancement
Chef/Kitchen Lead/Manager (Current Employee) –  Southlake, TXOctober 30, 2014
This restaurant is in the middle of an overhaul. Participating in the positive changes and knowing that I have had a positive influences in those changes is mentally rewarding
Ok place too work
Director of Construction & Facilities (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 15, 2014
The company needs upper level management changes or they will not grow.
good food caring managerial staff
Head Server/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 9, 2014
great way to learn more about the sushi industry. great for developing multitasking and interpersonal skills
Server
BUSSER/SERVER (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 10, 2014
Many hours on your feet at a time.
Constant interaction with guests, must have good communication skills.
Pay not consistent.
Very efficient and well oiled work environment.
My starting job was shift leader (Former Employee) –  Southlake,TxApril 22, 2014
extensive menu and bar knowledge was a strict requirement. Memorizing 50 martini recipes as well as 30 different kinds of sake and 16 different asians brewed beers. hard work but well structured training and great management.
Pros
expanded knowledge on liquor food and service techniques. also all the free sushi i wanted!
Cons
Long drive from where I was living.
Its good if your good at it.
Server (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXSeptember 8, 2013
Its pretty typical as a waiter job.
Your guests get seated for you, you come by and supposedly suggestive sale an app or a drink depending on the time of day. Then you'll explain the dishes which there are usually tons of, and memorizing the ingredients to help the customer decide.
Sushi is very detailed and usually expensive so a lot of people doing want to know exactly whats in a roll, EVEN if its written in the menu it'd be best to memorize what is in them as an employee so you can tell the customers. I started at this store when it first opened so they did a huge 3 week training course and we were all told to memorize everything and the more you know the more you make. They have a kind of incentive for that as well, they have different levels of servers and by knowing their menu and taking a test on it, when you pass and get a higher rank you also get paid more. So it literally pays to know this menu. I learned a huge amout about alcohol. from wine to spirits to sake and even beer. they really want their staff trained and knowledgeable so prepare to learn a lot with over 200 menu items.
My coworkers were fine, but i'm just not the waiter type.
The hardest part of the job is as always, dealing with customers. For the most part its a slightly higher end crowd so they can be a bit more stickler on what they order, and how well you are expected to serve on them. So its all in the details here. I really liked that the store played music, it looked really nice, and it had an outward appearance of really laid back and effortless. The only hard parts were dealing with customer
  more... problems and some of the managers expectations are a bit high.  less
Pros
better than most customers, tips are better as well if your a good server, good food and discount for employees, friendly co-workers and management overall, multiple jobs to apply to, including delivery driver
Cons
stickler for detail, more so than your normal restraunt, base pay isnt that wonderful, management can be pretty harsh, very competative with coworkers as well for tips
Fun work place feels like a second family
Hostess/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 22, 2013
It was a good starting position while I was still attending a university. When I graduated they had no problems giving me more hours to be close to full time. Although when I showed interest in growing within the company I was shut down. So I did have to move on to another company to grow with. It is a restaurant which involves working long hours, late nights, weekends and holidays. Being a Host was easy just greet people as they walk in and ask how many then rotate the server's section while seating customers. I learned a lot about guest service within the restaurant business is very different from guest service in the retail business. Being a cashier you learn what tips are all about. I have a new respect for delivery people and to-go people. I now tip all the time because I learned how that job is. The hardest part of this job was leaving because I could not progress with the company and not spending my pay check always eating there. The most enjoyable was I learned a lot and I walked away with a lot of friends I still have today.
Pros
Really pleasant team to work with and AMAZING FOOD!
Cons
work long hours, late nights, weekends and holidays
Great people, Great food, Great concept
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 19, 2012
As Assistant General Manager, the main responsibility is to be proactive in driving all front of house restaurant operations including guest relations, team building, scheduling, inventory, hiring, and upholding a positive work environment. Overseeing liquor, beer, wine and sake ordering and receiving to keep all cost of goods in line is a must when ensuring profitability for the company. The Assistant General Manager is also the key contact and liaison for corporate office, restaurant staff, customers and vendors as well as being the right arm in marketing development and brand ambassador for participation in community events and sponsorships.
server
Server (Current Employee) –  austin txJune 17, 2012
managent is great. you get to choose your work schedule. waiting tables.
Pros
lots of time for yourselve
Cons
lots of work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sushi Zushi. Our community is ready to answer.