Sutter Health

Sutter Health Employer Reviews

Great learning and fun place to work
Medical Assistant Wound Care Aide (Current Employee), Roseville, CAApril 9, 2014
My workday has many wonderful parts to it. I get to work and set up the patient charts for that day by putting labels and paperwork in them. Every 20 minutes i get a new patient with some sort of interesting wound. Some days i work with Physical Therapist and other days I get to work with the Wound Doctors.. Either way I have learned a lot from both. – more... I love working with people and getting to know the patients. Some things were difficult in the beginning but now dressing changes, packing wounds, and wound vacs all come pretty easy. The best part is when I work with the Doctors because they like to teach me things if I dont know it. – less
Horrible Leadership
Patient Services Coordinator (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAApril 9, 2014
Pros: good field to have experience in
Cons: broken culture within the organization
Sutter hires the cheapest, least educated team they can, and then withold training and skill development. The result is that management are those that have stuck around the longest (have fewer opportunities to go elsewhere?) instead of those with the best skill set. Low performers are allowed to slack while high performers are micromanaged and overworked.
First hospital experience of my career
Ultrasonographer (Former Employee), Antioch, CAApril 8, 2014
Pros: wealth of knowledge available
Cons: stability
The place I started my externship and created relationships with great mentors. As a per diem tech if was feast of famine, there would be stretches of 28 days straight and then one day a week.

As a new tech I still had a lot to learn and I soaked up information and technical skill very quickly. Performing General ultrasound exams and interventional – more... procedures, pushed me to be better with my scanning abilities while exposing me to a vast amount of knowledge. – less
A decent work place
LVN (Former Employee), Antioch, CAApril 6, 2014
Good pay and good benefits. An ideal place for experience. Good for those who want to work in a hospital.
Medical Transcriptionist-Editor (Former Employee), Modesto, CAMarch 16, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere
Cons: no cons
Wonderful co-workers, great supervisor, great benefit, great atmosphere, wonderful supervisors and staff
Horrible management; orders to violate patient consents
Clinician (Former Employee), Santa RosaMarch 13, 2014
Pros: good health benefits
Cons: poor management, management allowed politics to outweigh benefits for patient care, management requests violations of patient consents
The director level and higher at SPMF holds political gain above patient care.

My manager/director at SPMF was a nurse and she requested that I violate patient consents by disclosing their results to her and to physicians not involved in their appointment. She later instructed a patient to get an inappropriate test and ordered me to recommend it and – more... order it. I refused to violate patient consents and to order inappropriate tests. My manager/director who told me just one week earlier that I was meeting all of her expectations at work terminated my position after I refused to order an inappropriate test for a patient.

Recommendations of testing and regarding another specialty are outside the manager's professional scope of knowledge. There were several instances that she and her staff tried to determine what kind of care was provided to patients which was outside of their scope, which harmed expedited patient care.

This is risky for all patient care. – less
An Unmanaged Nightmare
Worker (Former Employee), Burlingame, CAMarch 6, 2014
Pros: pay was decent
Cons: politics, un-friendly work environment, un-involved management
I was snowed into a position by a recruiter with MPHS and came into a complete and utter nightmare in all aspects. I have never worked in a department where the staff elders ran the department and the folks hired to manage the joint sat in their offices, ordering things online. How you faired in this particular department depended on who you knew and – more... whether or not you spoke Tagalog since 95% of the department were Filipino, and not inclined to speak English no matter what the hospital policy stated. As one of the most technical departments in a hospital, you'd think that there would be "technical" resources to keep the department technically sound, and moving in the right direction….ahhh nope. Department middle management was at best antiquated, uneducated and stubborn. They defended their grossly uninformed technical decisions, & fought change tooth and nail. Never mind the fact that staff in the department made errors on patient tests daily and nothing was being done to improve the situation. Many times, errors would be covered up by one Tagalog-speaking worker, for another. The director of the department was not engaged directly and seemed to make decisions based on gossip and heresay. If she was aware of a problem in the department, it was because she heard about it via gossip, not because she was doing her job. Supervisors were asked to interview and hire for several "vacant" positions only to be told that "we are over budget" once those people were hired and trained, which leads me to believe the administrative director didn't have a clear handle on the finances either. There were no clear objectives for the department to work toward, and every initiative that was "started" during my time with this department was never followed-up or completed. This was only the tip of the iceberg. MPHS is an aesthetically beautiful hospital, but the things going on inside would make your head spin. – less
The Best
MEDICAL RECORDS CLERK (Former Employee), Vallejo, CAMarch 3, 2014
My days were always busy, never a dull moment. I learned a lot, numeric filing, chart order and the best part was doing birth certificates, that was my most enjoyable part of the job.
Challenging Healthcare Technology Environment
Project Manager / Applications Analyst (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: culture, teamwork, and the overriding spirit that it professionals makes a difference for patients and caregivers.
Cons: ineffective leadership communications
Sutter is in the beginning stages of a metamorphosis, as it attempts to become Kaiser-like (full-blown HMO), in the face of Obamacare realities impacting the bottom line. Simultaneously, Sutter is driven to tighten its security environment - physical and data - due to a series of breaches in 2011 and 2012..

As in any large corporate enterprise, there – more... are multiple concurrent technology initiatives, as Sutter attempts to simultaneously implement Electronic Health Record, ICD-10, and 100's of new minor projects related to clinical and business operations.

Seemingly, there is a lack of awareness by senior leadership for:
- the reality of available (competent, experienced) resources falls short of expected deliverables and timelines. The workload continues to increase, while the # of individuals performing the work reduces or stays the same.
- the overlapping and competing nature of multiple technology initiatives for enterprise-wide, region-wide, and site-specific.
- the impact on technology projects and customer support services, due to the restrictions placed on staff for the use of their cellular phones (cannot use unless on-call or responding to a critical incident).
- the impact on non-exempt staff and the requirement to clock-in/out via a web-based tool (Kronos), in conjunction with the threat of HR-oriented disciplinary actions for excessive "exceptions" when clocking in/out late. – less
Good Physical Therapy department
Registration Representative (Former Employee), Vacaville, CAFebruary 12, 2014
I really enjoyed this job. I was straight out of high school when I started working here. I was able to learn a lot about medical insurance and the physical therapy world. It was very educational. I worked in a busy office and there was never a dull moment.
Poor management and management decision.
Admin (Former Employee), Mather, CAFebruary 11, 2014
It was so pathetic; working at healthcare company but got fired after calling in sick. My husband worked at this company. He got flu so bad and had to stay overnight in the hospital. After few days at home, he went back to work and got fired in that morning. He did not have a chance to defense himself or talk with HR. Yes, he made mistakes while he – more... was sick, but it seemed that the management did not care about it. The job was so stressful, and my husband told me lots of backstabbing within employees and bosses. Lots of problems inside its IT Dept. The business and IT sites never listened to each other, then it created problems in its servers. The servers went down, because the business site required things beyond its IT's abilities plus it does not fulfill of what the IT site needed. The business site did not listen to the IT site. You want a good running computer but it isn't supported with appropriate hardware and software; you don't update your software and codes; you don't clean up your junk. The management thought by getting rid of my husband would save the bosses' position and solve the problems. If the servers are still down and creates problems, then it is not their employees' problem. It is their management decision problems. FYI, the HR meeting to review the managers is not helpful, because the employee who wants to get a credit will tell it to his/her boss. My husband did not say bad words or complain about his boss in that meeting, because he was afraid somebody would tell it to his boss. He wrote good review but fair about her, but I guess it did not work for her. He was and is still shock about this firing, and I represent him. He is a real good man even though, he is tough on something or what he believes. While he was there, he just told the truth about the causes and effects of doing something, but they never listened to him and his teamate. When the server started having problems, it was his fault. The people in his department were so afraid of making mistakes, if they did they pointed to somebody else. My husband said he owned it but part of it, it was not his fault. He trusted those people-coworkers. I guess he should not trust them that easy. If he was not that sick and weak, he might think clearly. Things happen for a reason. What makes me upset is getting fired after calling in sick; It is not professional. I guess it was a best time to find a scapegoat. I just hope that the management of Mather office change to be better. – less
Productive and fun workplace
Patient Escort/Transportation (Current Employee), Roseville, CAFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Challenging but exciting. I have learned how important how important it is to get your work done effectively, efficiently and professionally. Also how important it is to communicate with patients, patient's family, staff, departments, and sometimes management. I learned what managers expectations are from me as well as expectations from coworkers to – more... get the job done. There really isn't a difficult part of the job, just the need to pay attention to the little details. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to interact with people and actually doing what I enjoy. – less
Great place to work, excellent benefits
Patient Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 4, 2014
Great place to work, excellent benefits. The BEST BEST BEST
training
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), MatherJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: the people are nice.
Cons: lack of training and lack of learning curve
Training was minimul and they expect everyone to know exactly how the work needs to be done. The Project Managers do not provide clear instructions and expect the coordinators to know exactly what to do. They do not provide any learning curve either.
Fun And Productive
EHR Tech (Current Employee), Lakeport, CAJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: good work load
Cons: can get a little rushed
Awesome place to work and a great bunch of guys. The work load is usually well maintained but can get a little crazy from time to time, but lets be honest where does it not lol.
Fast paced, high patient volume, great experience job
Electronic Imaging Technician (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: m-f work schedule
Cons: no flexibility in schedules, salary range is on the lower end
-General office duties, office support staff
-Knowledge/advance user of GE Centricity Pacs, Advance user of Hologic SV system, Sunquest, CMS, Epic EHR Radiant, IDX, SCI scheduling system
-Process and hang X-ray/mammogram/MRI/CT films
-Assist and retrieve patient information, Health information system/management
-Provides clerical/medical assistant support – more... to technicians/doctors
-Prep and coordinate for regional Tumor board conferences and technical support for radiologists. – less
Great Place to Work
Technical Analyst (Former Employee), Santa Rosa, CAJanuary 17, 2014
Great place to work.
Great place to learn and implement.
great place to live.
Great workplace with many opportunities to work with a variety of different departments
Implementation Consultant & Workflow Analyst (Former Employee), Pacific, CAJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: enjoyable workplace as well as being able to travel to several sf campuses
Cons: contract job so after the implementation everyone went their separate ways
Great company with even better people and a lot of opportunity to be a part of many different committees throughout the hospital system.
great place to work
Health Information Clerk I (Former Employee), Fairfield, CAJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: slow days
pull medical charts for Dr. appointments two day's ahead of time. maintain medical charts, paper file in medical charts. process medical records request for patients and also for Dr.
Collaborative work environment
Patient Account Representative/Payment Processing (Current Employee), Roseville, CAJanuary 8, 2014
The are many struggles in this start up business. Changes are constant at this point which makes things hard at times.

1 2 3 4 5

About Sutter Health

Whether you drink too much in Wine Country, hit some rough waters off the Marin Headlands, or trip during a hike through the redwood – Read more