Ref # 0055 – Member of the Technical Staff - Sr. Equipment Engineer
Type: Reg. Full Time
Description: Svaya's mission is to use nanotechnology to make everyday products better and enable revolutionary new products. Our technology is a layer-by-layer, self-assembly deposition process that produces highly uniform, molecular-scale films on large area substrates. The technology is able to deposit multi-layer, multi-functional coatings using a broad range of materials on a variety of surfaces. The company holds exclusive licenses to the fundamental technology developed by the founders at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).Svaya Nanotechnologies Inc. is an early stage startup making common products extraordinary through the power of nanotechnology. We are deploying a flexible and scalable liquid thin film self assembly process and chemistries for applications in a variety of industries including the energy, life sciences, consumer and water industries.
Job Title: Member of Technical Staff
Focus: Sr. Equipment and Process Engineer
This is an exciting opportunity to become a R&D Member of the Technical Staff for process and product development of Svaya’s breakthrough thin film layer by layer self assembly technology. This is a typical startup, you should be willing and able to work hard with limited resources as part of a tight-knit group and be flexible and accommodating to changing priorities and circumstances. The successful candidate will be required to calibrate and clean Svaya’s prototype equipment, follow SOPs, clean and prepare substrates for deposition and check in new chemicals. You will possess a go-to-the-action, can-do, team-oriented mentality. Success in this role will be defined as making the broader team more efficient.
The team consists of the world's leading experts in industrial-scale, layer-by-layer self-assembly as well as synthetic chemists, thin-film deposition process and durability engineers, and high-throughput equipment designers. They are advised by the seminal researchers at MIT, including professors Paula Hammond, Robert Cohen and Michael Rubner, who are focused on complex thin film heterostructures with a wide range of properties. The company is funded by New Enterprise Associates (NEA) and Sigma Partners.
As the manager of a small team of mechanical engineers, equipment designers and subcontractors you will be responsible for the conceptualization and implementation of high throughput, web-based deposition equipment. You will also be in communication with customers for the design and development of equipment installed at the customer site. This position reports directly to the CTO.
- Architect and design in Solidworks
- Develop and implement R&D and production equipment platforms required by the strategic product roadmap from design phase to prototype to commercialization
- Select, negotiate and manage external equipment vendor relationships to build both R&D and production platforms
- Interfacing with customers to ensure equipment design aligns with market and industry requirements
- Collaborate with key internal and external stakeholders to ensure product deliverables are completed within set timelines
- Guide the efforts of design engineers to create final machine and system design specifications for both R&D and production equipment
- Focus on process and quality automation in production equipment design
- Generate project plans, justifications; procure quotes and manage projects during implementation and start-up and working closely with process development and manufacturing engineers, transfer the processes into manufacturing.
- Identify opportunities to optimize the process technologies and improve quality. This includes data collection and analysis to support new and ongoing product development activities.
- Drive variability reduction efforts including conceptualizing and directing equipment/fixturing solutions and refining /updating procedures and operational checklists and training guides.
- Provide in-depth process trouble-shooting and problem solving to manufacturing processes.
- Perform operator training as required in process, equipment operations and data collection/analysis.
- Drive SPC and control plan implementation.
- BS/MS in mechanical or chemical engineering or equivalent
- Proven Solidworks design experience and absolute must
- 10+ years progressive experience in Roll-to-Roll process equipment design industry
- Experience leading and managing a high performance engineering team
- Proven project management experience scaling up manufacturing processes.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with minimal supervision on assignments.
- Track record of successful delivery of complex deposition equipment to demanding customers with rigorous specifications
- Demonstrated successful leadership experience in taking complex large scale equipment from concept to commercialization
- Experience with the following equipment types preferred: web-handling systems, high volume fluid handling;, automation control subsystems and/or, metrology for thin-film applications
- Excellent communication, negotiation and influencing skills
- Ability to work within complex matrix teams across internal/external organizations
- Chemistry background is desirable
Experience with the following equipment types preferred:
- web-handling systems
- high volume fluid handling;
- automation control subsystems; and/or
- metrology for thin-film applications
Preferred Candidates have experience in the following fields:
- wet aqueous chemistry
Qualities / Skills:
- Self motivated and team oriented contributor
- Possesses a high level of self-motivation with a get-it-done work ethic.
- Able to execute tasks quickly but carefully
- Ability to quickly learn new skills / techniques
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Minimum Experience (yrs): 10