Swanson Industries Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Warehouse Lead/Manager (Former Employee) –  Indiana, PADecember 31, 2016
It was a nice laid back atmosphere to work in and I gained alot of useful knowledge in a machine shop and warehouse setting.
Not much good to say.
Sale Manager/ Purchaseing Manager (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVAugust 30, 2016
Nice pay, people. Not a long term job. No opportunity to move forward. management does not know what they are doing to run a business. Much better before AEA purchased them a few years ago.
Pros
People.
Cons
Managers
CNC, Safety and Quality control Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Indiana, PAAugust 16, 2016
This is a great place work with good pay and good benefits. Easy to work for if you just do your job. Co-workers are very helpful. The only down side is the economy!
Manufacturing & Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMay 22, 2016
Useful Internship to help me understand industrial engineering and to apply my skills as a mechanical engineer. I was able to do some mechanical design work in addition to value stream mapping and time studies.
Sinking Ship Trying to Survive
Manager (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMay 21, 2016
Very closely tied to coal, underground mining, and CAT (mining)

Heavy decline in the past few years (2013-current)---with mining/coal customers going bankrupt or hurting

Unsuccessful attempts to get into other markets. (oil/gas, etc.)

Revolving door of senior and mid-level management leads to inconsistent leadership and outlook

Very little job security (corporate, management, and skilled labor)

Fighting to survive in a severely depressed market

Private Equity Ownership keeps them alive...for now.
Pros
Laid back atmosphere, HQ close to Morgantown/Fairmont
Cons
Severe Decline in Industry has them scrambling
Like a Big Family
Production Planner (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMarch 16, 2016
Typical day is a ton of data entry. Everyone is nice and helpful. Really enjoy the friendly atmosphere and the fact that I stay busy makes the day go fast.

Advice to Management
Don't look for someone to place the blame. Accept responsibility and move on. Too much time wasted on data entry of repeated information. Too much time wasted trying to place responsibility.
Pros
Coworkers, Commute, Friendly, Busy, Hours
Cons
Processes, Training, Communication
Slow
Buyer/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVAugust 6, 2015
A typical day at work was slow. I learned that the company mainly invested in the coal industry, which has taken a major decline over the past few years, thus leading the company to lay off many people.
Very good place to work for.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Morgantown,WvAugust 3, 2015
I spent 23 half years with this company, They proved me with a good living for me and my family. If i could have predicted the future i probably would still be working there.
Good people. Small hard working team. Management can be better.
Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  New Philadelphia, OHJune 2, 2015
Good people. Small hard working team. Management can be better. There is an initiative to develop new products and fight in a market which is dominated by big companies.
Excellent Company
Welding/Quality Engineer (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJune 8, 2014
Victim of backlash on coal mining in the U.S. Executive order outlawed underground mining in Va and WVa.
Pros
Great company
Excellent staff and management
Welding/Quality Engineer (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVNovember 12, 2013
Caught in a difficult time due to the outlawing of underground coal mining in Virginia and West Virginia.
Pros
Good people and trained staff.
Cons
Regulatory environment
I worked at Swanson for a short time but the administration and staff were outstanding people and treated me with the utmost respect. I enjoyed it.
Human Resources Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJune 11, 2012
This was a place where you had to produce and do your job well. The staff worked hard. We enjoyed working. We also enjoyed lunching together with our homemade food because there weren't many restaurants nearby.
I was moving away and the lady I was substituting for was returning, so my job ended at Swanson. They surprised me with a going-away party with lots of food and gifts. Incredible people.
Pros
i enjoyed the challenges of the job.
Cons
not close to shops or a town center.
Us army
inspection of Re-man hydraulic cylinders (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVApril 30, 2012
I started at the bottom E-1 rank. I, risen to an E-7 Master Sargent level, I've managed as many as 200 Personnel. I have training in multiple skill areas including management and recruiting
Pros
great learning opportunities
Cons
war in iraq 6 times, not home a lot.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swanson Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4