Swarthmore College

Swarthmore College Employer Reviews

Intrinsically interesting place of employment
Electronics Instructor (Former Employee), Swarthmore, PAMarch 23, 2014
Pros: educational assistance
Cons: long travel distance
I am currently retired and interested in working in the field of electronics where I can bring my skills to a new marketplace.

Over my lifetime career I have managed students in daily lab skill.

At RCA I rose to a mid level postion at Corporate Staff NYC, and had an office in Washington DC to interface with the FCC.

Travel was the hardest part of – more... the work.

Working on the edge of technology was always the most enjoyable part of the work I did. – less
Great place to improve your IT knowledge.
Information Technology Student Associate (Former Employee), Swarthmore, PAMarch 17, 2014
Working in IT at a small school like Swarthmore, you have to be knowledgeable about a wide range of technologies. You learn a ton on the job, and co-workers are almost always willing to lend a helping hand when tricky tickets come in. The more you put into the job, the more you'll get out of it.
Very fun place to work at .
Environmental Services (Former Employee), Swarthmore, PAFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: 1 hr lunch break not on campus.
It was a self paced work place that only required supervision on certain tasks.
Beautiful campus
Access and Lending Assistant (Former Employee), Swarthmore, PAFebruary 10, 2014
A stunning, beautiful campus environment. Swarthmore students are motivated and inspiring and I really enjoyed working with them.
Beware - Highly recommend not applying for this particular department.
Former employee (Current Employee), Media, PAJune 5, 2013
Pros: great benefits (health and retirement);overall the college is a nice place to work
Cons: lack of college administrators to recognize department dysfunction
Department manager adheres to a "Do as I say" not "Do as I do" philosophy, department has a history of rampant turnover and low morale among deans as well as AA's, department has a very poor reputation campus-wide, no campus employees apply for these vacancies, department management is unprofessional and borders on incompetent, highly recommend waiting – more... to apply for positions in other departments that may become available. – less

June 23, 2013

The person who posted this comment must have been referring to the Admissions department. I know several people who have worked in this department over the years and the review is absolutely accurate. I don't know how this department has continued to exist as it is without intervention from the college president.

Fostered great environment for academic and personal growth
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Swarthmore, PAApril 10, 2013
Pros: diverse intellectually and socially
Cons: small population
I was a grader and TA who worked alongside the tenured professors in the engineering department to create a peer-guidance program for both academic improvement and time-management skills.
PRODUCTIVE AND GOOD LEARNING PLACE
Lead Cook/Painter (Former Employee), Swarthmore, PAJune 13, 2012
Pros: work for school painting dorm in the summer
Cons: short school year
PROPER FOOD FOR TWENTY HUNDRED PEOPLE,LEARNED HOW TO COOK CO-WORKER WHERE GOOD . THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB WAS FOOD BROAD WHERE PEOPLE PUT UP RECIPES TO BE MADE. ALSO WAS IN THE MILITARY AT THE SAME TIME