Swedish American Hospital Employee Reviews

Relatively Good Place to Work
PCT/CNA (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILMay 24, 2017
SAHS is a decent place to work. Everything was going very well until this past year; they decided not to give anyone but nurses raises (I'm sure higher ups got their raises) which really put everyone else in the hospital in a poor situation. More often than not, it seems that management has been out of bedside nursing for entirely too long. They have no sense of what it means to be an effective nurse and what that entails as far as nursing assistants, PCTs, etc are concerned. The hospital seems to care less and less for their employees as time goes on. Understaffed with dangerous nurse to patient ratios.
great learning experience
Operational Supervisor of Labor and Delivery (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILFebruary 15, 2017
great workplace culture, focused on the health of the community and meeting the needs of the population. great coworkers
In need of management overhaul
Student Nurse, never employed (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILFebruary 8, 2017
As a nurse, many of the floors are not managed very well. The ratio of nurse patient is too high and management feels as though they are above helping
Very stressful
RN in Orthopedic/Neurology/Telemetry (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 18, 2016
Being a nurse at this time was difficult, due to short staffing and difficult patient population. Many nurses felt burnout and stress.

Many changed were happening with charting and hospital politics, trying to make things better for the hospital, but in turn.. making more work for the staff.

Low staffing, with more work lead to poor performance and burn out.
Pros
compensation, plenty of overttime if wanted
Cons
burnout, short staffing
A great place to work.
Administrative/Nursing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rockford, IL 61104October 4, 2016
Employee engagement and great team work and a Magnet hospital. SwedishAmerican is a division of University of Wisconsin with many opportunities.
Pros
Advancement in the health system.
good employees
Emergency Room Clerk (Current Employee) –  Belvidere, ILJuly 14, 2016
Very nice people to work with.
Company is great to work for.
managers are ok
co-workers make your day go by quicker because everyone works as a team.
Wonderful place to work!
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILMay 5, 2016
Wonderful place to work! Many opportunities to to learn and my opinion is valued. Great team work between doctors, nurses and technicians.
Reputable place to work
CT Technologist (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILMarch 12, 2016
I have been at Swedish American for 13 years. It is a great place to work, I am leaving because I want to relocate outside of Illinois.
Pros
technologically advanced, fair pay, good benefits
Great staff and Managment
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILFebruary 13, 2016
Being a Patient Care Tech was extremely busy, but fun. I loves the people I worked with and the nurses were great. I was a CNA when I was hired in and I was taught how to perform EKG's and Phlebotomy draws. My managers were great and the entire staff all supported each other. We helped each other out all the time if needed. The hardest part of this job was making sure my patients were all cared for and comfortable. As a PCT we have a lot of responsibilities and I wanted to make sure that all my patients were being well cared for at all times. The hardest part of the job was turning patients that extremely obese. We would have to turn them ever 2 hours and many of them couldn't turn themselves.I learned so much from my time there and truly loved what I did and taking care of my patients, but truly found I loves drawing blood and found that I had a knack for it and became very good at it. I had amazing people that taught me so much I am truly appreciative for all of them.
Great Place to work
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 12, 2016
I loved my short time at Swedish American!! The staff is great and so is the management!! GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR!!!!!!!
Very Family Oriented Culture
PCA Senior Care of Private Duty (Current Employee) –  Charles Street Home Health OfficeOctober 2, 2015
The training is the best. The constant gatherings and celebrations were fantastic. The clients were awesome. Fellow workers very mature quality as a whole and majority. My mentors were the best in my entire life. The hours were very unpredictable. The travel was all over the map. And the pay and benefits for services rendered actually left you in debt due to extra gas mileage.
Pros
Wonderful overall
Cons
Compensation And the Management there of
Busy and demanding Emergency Department
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILSeptember 5, 2015
Swedish American's Emergency Department is the busiest in the region. I am proud to say that I have been at this facility for a decade. I am currently looking for other opportunities to expand my growth as a nurse and as a wife and mother. I have nothing negative to say about Swedish American, it is a wonderful company
Swedish American Hospital is a good place to work. It provides you with the support you need to advance in your career.
Patient Care Technician - Mother Baby (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 21, 2015
Great work place with supportive management and room to grow. Great group of peers , and awesome unit to work for. There are many opportunities for continued education.
Pros
Staff and good working environment
Cons
night shift hours
dont want to work there again
house keeper (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 4, 2015
loading up my cleaning cart I learned about bio hazard my boss and I didn't get along my coworkers were very pleasant always had fun with coworkers
Pros
got meals at times
Cons
short breaks
Fun and warming place to work!
Radiology Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 31, 2015
Super fun place to work. I love my co-workers in Radiology, I have never been closer with the people I work with at any other place. Just about everyone from the CEO to the service workers are polite and loving. Best hospital in Rockford!
Fast Paced work environment with close knit team
Licensed Practical Nurse - Telemetry (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 31, 2015
Rehabbing open-heart patients and dealing with unexpected emergencies daily. Team worked well together and knew what to expect out of each other as a well-koiled machine.
Radiology File Clerk/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJune 17, 2015
I started at Swedish American Hospital in Admitting on Second shift and enjoyed admitting patients for inpatient and outpatient visits. I then moved to the Emergency Department where I did the same thing along with some tech work when I received my EMT - B certification. I wanted something one Day shift, so I transferred to the Radiology Department where I assist Doctors and Radiologist and became proficient in PACS system. In all three areas, I had the best coworkers, but management changed all the time so you never knew who was your supervisor when problems arose. Therefore, you had to solve the problem yourself and hope it was the right decision.
Fet like family, taught me everything in this field, miss them!
Respiratory Care Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMay 29, 2015
I loved this job, left due to necessity. Good people, good benefits, good food, good patient care, great teaching place! I won't be admitted to any other hospital as long as I am living close enough to Swedish American Hospital.
Pros
Great environment, fantastic people, excellent patient care!
Cons
Had to work nights, hard with a little guy at home at that time.
Technician
Clerical Technician (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMay 10, 2015
Loved this job. I had a part-time clerical job while I was in college. They worked around my school schedule which was awesome! Great benefits. It was like a family environment.
enjoyed my coworkers and students
2nd lead tech for xray and ct (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILApril 29, 2015
As stated before I enjoyed teaching students and helping them succeed in radiology. The hardest part of the job was not having enough time to teach the students and be there for them. The most enjoyable part of the job was graduation seeing my students graduate and become some of the best techs around.
Pros
had my own schedule and summers off
Cons
not enough time for studnets

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swedish American Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2