Swedish Covenant Hospital Employee Reviews

very busy, small crowded office, quite noisy
surgery shceduler/administrative secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2016
Very hardworking office, high call volume, hardest part were the many interruptions however it aided my ability to multi-task. Best part of the day was having lunch in the hospital garden
Pros
good benefits and hours and location
Cons
poor training, employee turnover
Very dangerous and toxic work environment
Imaging Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 17, 2016
I worked in Radiology here years ago. There was no cohesive radiologist group. One radiologist would tell you how to do a study and later you would have a different radiologist who would chew you out for how you did the study. The neighborhood is horrible and dangerous. There is bad racism here. I once worked three full days without a break.
Eyewitness two orthopedic surgeons having a fist fight over who was next in the surgery Suite.
Is the only time I ever walked off a job.
After that experience I decided working in Chicago was not for me.
Stay away.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Sweat shop. Minorities get away without taking their share of call.
great work environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 8, 2016
This was my first job after nursing school and what a great place to learn. I had to learn fast and it made it easier with great co workers. I knew that coming into work I would be ok since everyone as such a great team player. It was hard at times the types of patients we would get and that could get tiring at times but at the end of the day, you were in it together.
Swedish Covenant Hospital
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 11, 2016
Swedish Covenant has a great/learning work environment. I have learned everything I currently know about being a Medical Assistant here. hardest part about being a medical assistant is juggling a busy schedule. The most enjoyable part is when patients are deeply satisfied with the care I give.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
No Lunch breaks sometimes
Unprofessional Management starting with the lab director down to supervisor
Medical Technologist I (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 28, 2016
Management has to learn to professionally communicate with lab personal without yelling and shouting at the employes. Unorganized,outdated instrumentation,unprofessional communication, gossiping most of the time 2nd shift supervisor.
HR doesn't not care, CEO doesn't care and the same management is still there!!!!
Productive environment
Scheduling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2016
Answering phone calls, taking messages, and scheduling appointments kept everyone engaged in the working environment. Fun and productive place to work with helpful co-workers.
Great, collaborative rehab team
Student Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 12, 2016
Overall, I have enjoyed working with all rehab team members from
physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech language pathology. All members are very positive and keep their patients' best interests at heart. They are collaborative and inclusive, and appreciate input and constructive criticism.

In other aspects of patient care, all hospital employees would benefit from further education on how the rehab disciplines serve patients and assist with patients' functional outcomes. I believe patient care overall would benefit from all disciplines within the hospital setting having background understanding of the other disciplines, and this would be best implemented from higher management down.

The hardest part of this job in the acute care setting is managing patient schedules, and being flexible with other aspects of patient care necessary for patient diagnoses and treatment.

The most enjoyable part of the job is sincerely assisting patients with improving their functional outcomes, and being a source of encouragement and support during their rehab stay.
learned management skills
Senior Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  chicagi ilJuly 25, 2016
i enjoyed co workers very friendly lots of learning in various fields of PT feels like very big family and you are part of it
Pros
new learning
Cons
difficult to get time off needed to work on weekends some time
To obtain a position where I can utilize my extensive clerical and clinical skills as well as my ability to speak, read, write the Spanish language
Medical Assistant/Receptionist/Biller (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2014
I was a front desk receptionist answering telephones, monitoring and directing calls, taking phone messages, keeping and preparing new patient’s medical charts with proper information, greeting patients and visitors in a quick, courteous manner. My coworkers and I shared a large amount of charts and encounters that we had to correct and enter useing medical billing codes. My manager very smart and responsible person always trusted me on making a desition on changes or asking for advise. The hardest part of my job was working with sick children. My most enjoyable part of my job was seeing them grow and get to know them and their parents.
Pros
loved the reps who set up lunches for the office
Cons
benefits were not so good
Great workplace
Registered Nurse in Oncology unit (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 10, 2016
A great workplace with many learning opportunities and awesome people. A very diverse patient population with different challenges everyday. A very positive and enjoyable place.
Productive and fun workplace
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago ILJanuary 24, 2014
Great place to work, Swedish Covenant Hospital - Galter LifeCenter is a Medical Fitness facility with over 6,000 members. We have 200 employees that range from Group Fitness Instructors, Massage Therapists, Swim Coaches, Sales Team, Customer Service, Facilities and Management. Every day is full with new opportunities to connect with employees and members. People come here to to develop mind, body and spirit through exercise, good nutrition and a healthy lifestyle as well as relax and get a great workout from our professional fitness staff.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
NA
Innovative pharmacy team
Pharmacy Resident (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 22, 2016
A community hospital with big presence of pharmacy service including pharmacokinetics protocols, anticoagulation monitoring, renal dosing for antibiotics, IV to PO conversion, and auto-sub policy.
Good Place to work
Staff Technologist/Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 18, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with patients.
I acquire valuable experience in patient care and succeeding in overall patient satisfaction.
great work environment.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 29, 2015
It's busy all day.
I've learned about different food to make for patients.
the management fair.
My co-wokers are great.
Pros
50% off on lunch.
Cons
no benefits for part time workers.
Worst company/hospital to work for
Employee (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 21, 2014
This hospital seemed like it was rising in the ranks of Chicago's greatest, but instead, I have seen the slow decline. The benefits are great as long as you can tolerate the narrow-mindedness and uptight management in every single department.
Pros
partial tuition reimbursement and the paid time off are EXCELLENT!
Cons
EVERYTHING ELSE!
very fast pace work environment
Patient Access Admitting/ Registrar (Current Employee) –  CAMay 27, 2015
A typical day at work requires seeing many patients and registering them, co-workers are very friendly and understanding.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
environment
3rd Shift Telecommunication Operator, Swedish Covenant Hospital
3rd Shift Telecommunication Operator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 24, 2015
Independently handles all inbound call for 230 Bed Hospital. Call processing after-hours for 130 Physician Answering service practices. Facilitated Dispatch for all alarms & codes. Faxing for orders.
Treated all patients, their families, visitors, peers, staff and providers in a pleasant and courteous manner.Managed patient calls effectively and efficiently in a complex, fast-paced and challenging call center environment.Promoted team effort when working with dispatch center, external public safety agencies and health care providers.
Pros
working alone
Cons
no breaks
one month intern
CNA Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 2, 2016
Not enough to review as a two month intern there is not enough time to review. Was not a true job was just hours for CRNA accredation.
Pros
interm
Cons
no pay internship
good work place
Registered Nurse in Oncology unit (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2014
Taking care of patients with many medical and surgical problems
Pros
Good learning environment
Cons
Less benefits
Overall, good place to work
Stationary Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 16, 2013
A typical day at work, Ranges from changing temperatures on the building automation system, to Operating and tearing down boilers for inspection and replacing bearings on motors. Also a lot of walking on your average day.

I have learned a lot at Swedish. In our line of work, Working at a hospital gives you the best opportunity to learn just about anything there is to learn as a Stationary Engineer. HVAC-R, Boilers, Building automation, Pumps Motors. Reverse osmosis, Chillers, Exc.

Management- The chief Engineer is one of the most knowledgeable
people I have ever worked for. Above him The management is focus on growth.

My co-workers are a solid bunch of workers whom many I have personal trained. They are hard workers.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with budget restraints. Not always being as affective as we can be because of them.

Working with a good crew.
Pros
Good job security
Cons
No pension.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swedish Covenant Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Swedish Covenant Hospital Reviews by Location