Swedish Medical Center

Swedish Medical Center Employee Reviews

unhappy staff, mean spirited toward students learning the trade
Radiologic Technologist / Externship (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 2, 2013
I was excited to start an externship rotation here, but was very surprised at how the staff conducted themselves. There was a lot of discontent among the workers and it permeated everything. I didn't learn as much here as I hoped. It seems this facility hires very young radiologist technologists who get the job done, but I think it would have made a difference had it been a mix of young and old. I'm not sure what the cure would be for the Imaging department, but it needs a dose of positive, uplifting energy whether that be in the form of better pay, or treatment; I don't know. I enjoyed the diverse patients and varied exams. Craig Hospital transporters (next door to Swedish) are the most awesome people you will ever meet in the medical field in Denver.
Pros
great doctors
Cons
discontented and overwhelmed workers
A day at work
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  EnglewoodOctober 16, 2012
Go into work get report from the night techs about the patients we are taking care of that day, give baths, help them order breakfast, give them clean linen on their beds. Sit them up in a chair if possible. The evironment I worked around was cool and fun, lots of joking around. We worked together as a team for the most part and helped eachother out when needed. The part that made me feel I accomplished what I was supposed to that day was taking care of my patients and making them feel happy and joke with them and get to know their families as if they were mine. Work also would give me a reality check about life, that I didn't have it so bad afterall and that the little things that I complained about were nothing compared to what my patients were going through. Some of them will never walk again or talk again.
Pros
got 4 days off
Cons
12 hour shifts were tough and the job was hard on the body
Draining and exhausting place.
Financial Area (Former Employee) –  Englwood, COApril 30, 2013
I worked within the HealthOne company for 9+ years and specifically at Swedish Medical in Englewood, CO for 6 years. I never felt so much relief and stress off my shoulders after walking away from the position I had. I was paid a fair amount, but I was salaried and when reviewing the number of hours, holidays and weekends I was having to put it....there is no way the pay match correctly. Management was always after the bottom dollar and really didn't care about the employee's that actually did the work.
Run the other way if you are every offered a job. It is not worth giving up your personal life to make them money.
Pros
cafteria on site-very expensive though.
Cons
could not do lunch, breaks or anything without feeling guilt from higher management.
Company shows very little concern for/support of employees. We are leaving in vast numbers!
RN (Former Employee) –  Littleton, ColoradoSeptember 21, 2015
I was in the SWER for 9 years, loved my co-workers but direct manager was the worst I have ever had. They consistently have us working short, don't care about safety, and keep adding tasks to the already overwhelmed nurses. These tasks are not about patient safety, but about billing and making sure that they are able to collect every penny! They are trading patient safety for more profits.
They have also given the medical staff the absolute worst charting system that I have ever seen...they told us it would be "improved" but it was the cheapest version of meditech that they could get! Again, no concern about helping the staff safely document, only concerns about how much profit they make! I will NEVER work for a Health One/HCA hospital again!
Pros
I loved my fellow employees!
Cons
Employees are not important to the company.
Nice place to work
Secretary IV (Current Employee) –  Englewood, CONovember 21, 2014
I support of the Director of Education, eight Clinical Educators and the daily operations of the Clinical Education Department as well as all aspects of over 154 classes/courses daily, including annual. This includes class planning, building the course in the Healthcare Learning System (HLS)-HealthStream, all class registration and administrative support of the class daily schedule flow. I am one of the two HLS HealthStream Administrators for the facility and teach a “HealthSteam Administrator Overview” course quarterly. I am responsible for the department’s payroll processing using the KRONOS system. I also, support of the Licensed/Unlicensed new hire orientation. I maintain several data bases. Orientated department new hires on department attendance procedures and the use of applications used by the organization. (Please see attached resume for more detail)

Considering other job opportunities due to the possible decentralization of the Clinical Education Department and hoping to advance my career. My Director is aware I am considering other opportunities.
It's been a great place for me and I have advanced as much as I could with my current qualifications.
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 19, 2014
A typical day working as a Case Manager on the Orthopedic Unit is very busy reviewing patients problem list, assessing their need for Home Health Care vs Rehab Center and making the necessary arrangements. Acting as a liaison between patients, families, staff, service providers and assessing if a Social Worker is needed.

I learned that lot's of communication is key.

Management is sensitive to you needs and request within their limits, they attempt to provide a place where you would want to work and work closely with you.

Constant interaction in an open area can be very distracting.

The people, patients, co-workers, doctors, product representatives.
Pros
flexible schedule. salaried.
Cons
some days are very long.
Busy, multi-faceted place to work
Pharmacist Specialist - IT (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COSeptember 24, 2012
Typical day consisted of taking care of issues and changes in the various pharmacy computer systems. Troubleshoot problems with pharmacy systems as well as nursing bedside point of care issues. Also act as a staff pharmacist when needed, performing clinical functions as well as order entry, checking medications before distribution. I have learned much through my 12 years at Swedish in regard to most aspects of pharmacy operations. Management and co-workers were good team players and worked together to accomplish necessary tasks. The hardest part of the job was finding time to complete all projects during periods of decreased staffing. The most enjoyable part was working with hospital staff outside of the department (nursing, respiratory therapy, IS, finance, and others.
Pros
good benefits, free soda
Cons
heavy workload
High Trauma - with high stress
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COJune 29, 2012
Ambulances arrivals seven days a week - and twenty four hours. We have anywhere from gun shot wounds, to stabbings, motor vehicle accidents to strokes, people die and are brought back to life all the time. I have learned to move quickly, and budget my time well. Prioritise people problems as to take care of the most serious first. The most difficult thing for me is to see families crying for their lost one - any many times I cry with them. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see a baby born, and thereafter look me straight in the eyes - there is nothing better than that.
Pros
work four 10 hour shifts - off 3 days a week
Cons
no breaks, short lunches -
Swedish - horrible management; no ability to balance home and work
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Englewood, coApril 17, 2013
Management torments anyone who does not tow their line. The culture comes from the top and the CEO is out to get anyone who does not agree with her.
No ability to manage work life balance because as a manager/director you are expected to work over 10 hours a week at the hospital and work more at home in the evening.
Management never asked me about my family, barely knew I had a family.
Co-workers/directors were for most part good but everyone was just looking to stay out of trouble. Directors talked on a weekly basis wondering if they would be let go that week.
Very detrimental culture to work in.
Pros
other directors
Cons
management, no work life balance
Great experience
Charge therapist, cross trained in ICU, ER & more (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 30, 2012
A typical day involves creating assignments, helping staff complete their assignments, transports, bedside trachs, attending code blues and rapid responses. I learned I work well in stressful situations. They can't keep management help, and often times you find yourself in a position where someone with less training than yourself is running the shift. The hardest part was staffing and completing the heavy assignments. This is not a job for someone who wants to visit with the patients. The best part is working with outstanding physicians.
Pros
lots of challenges, great physicians, plenty of room for growth, never a dull moment, lots of overtime
Cons
lots of turnover, shift managers are not always qualified, heavy workloads.

Want to know more about Swedish Medical Center?

Ask a question
Good Employer
Patient Registrar (Former Employee) –  BallardApril 27, 2015
I worked for Swedish for many years, and in that time went thru many changes. They have grown from being a local hospital to a much larger medical system, with 5 hospital/medical centers and many neighborhood clinics. The medical care is excellent and the staff really care about their patients. The best part of the job is your co-workers. The hardest part is the volume of patients you are expected to handle. Also since the economic crisis, some of the perks and benefits have gone away or have been lowered. All in all, my time there was good and I learned a lot of different skills.
Pros
Good benefits and Great co-workers.
Cons
More corporate and less local management
Fun, warm work environment
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COOctober 12, 2015
Working with Swedish Medical Center is a great opportunity and I love the staff, great teamwork environment. Being at Swedish a typical work day would consist of rooming patients and taking their vitals. At Swedish EClinical Works is the software used to enter patient information. The management at Swedish is exceptional. The hardest part of this job is the amount of travel that is placed upon staff, as we are currently short-staffed. The most enjoyable part of working at Swedish is the environment. Very comfortable, and the ability to come together as a team to ensure patient satisfaction is remarkable.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Traveling
Fast-paced and exciting environment with outstanding group of people
Sonography Intern (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COSeptember 11, 2012
Swedish Ultrasound is a fun and special group to work with starting from the Supervisor. They perform Ultrasound exams on Outpatients, Inpatients, ER patients, and also Craig Hospital patients. The Craig patients are challenging because they were SPI and TBI which teaches you to be very creative in your scanning abilities. Majority of the exams are Abdominal, Renal, and Vascular studies with a mixture of Small Parts, Gynecological, OB, Neonatal, Transcranial Doppler, and Arterial. There are daily Ultrasound-guided procedures as well.
No any fun on a job!!!
Room Attendend/Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  501E Englewood Colorado 80113January 16, 2013
I worked with Hospita Housekeeping Systems.On site Swedish Medical Center .Cleaning a patients rooms ,sanitzing a restrooms.I learned a respect to patients,and visitors.Managment was good for me,and treated me a right way.My co-workers were a nice ,and helpfull.But a pay was very low for this a kind job,and benefits were a horrible .That a was reason ,that I put my resignations on 12/07/2012.
Pros
were a free lunches twice per year.
Cons
too a much jobs, for too little a money.no annualy a review, no rise .very bad a benefits>
Best team to be on!
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Englewood, CODecember 4, 2015
I thoroughly enjoy my job! We have a great staff of doctors, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, therapists, nursing assistants, cleaning crew, chefs and of course our management. We have grown exceedingly to high expectations of our clientele since my arrival. The management has made great choices on hiring staff that are great to work with. Staff has brought challenges forward to overcome as a team. Meet and surpass expectations on every level!
Pros
Going to work at Swedish Medical Center
Wouldnt have taken this job if I wasn't desperate!
Do not wish to answer (Current Employee) –  Englewood coMarch 8, 2015
Not enough pay. They are one of the lowest paying hospitals in Denver area. Their equipment is falling apart. The pay differential is almost nonexistent and their holiday pay is a joke! Basically unless you work overnight for at least 6 to 8 hours, you don't get pay for working holidays. Don't know what the hospital does with their money! Short breaks.
Nurse coordinator
Staffing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COFebruary 27, 2013
Swedish hospital is a great place to "get your feet wet. This place is a great place to learn your skill or trade and then move on. I say this because loyalty to long term. employees is non exsistant. The compensation here is very poor for long term employees. I do enjoy my job. I work as a nurse coordinator and I greatly enjoy working with the nursing staff and get great fullfillment when I can go home knowing that the hospital is staffed and all is well, thanks to the staffing office.
Worked on Orthopedic floor and Acute Rehab floor
Registered Nurse - Orthopedics (Former Employee) –  Englewood, CODecember 20, 2013
I work day shift, 7a-7:30 pm. I worked with surgical and non-surgical various orthopedic patients including the majority of patients were trauma patients.
I worked with CPM's, Constavac infusers, Wound vacs, external fixators, and traction.
The most enjoyable part of my job was experiencing the joy of when my patients were discharged and on the road to recovery and seeing them progress, knowing I assisted in getting them to that condition.
I loved my worked environment
Staff Nurse and Relief Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Englewood, ColoradoJune 1, 2012
As part of the CCU staff and leadership, we enjoyed a collaborative spirit with our house staff and doctors. Autonomy was encouraged. This unit is very high acuity and multi-disciplined. You are challenged to better your skills and stay current with practice trends. 12 hour shifts from 3-3. Full time is 3x/week. Overtime available.
Management not truthful workers great...
EEG tech (Former Employee) –  Englewood, CoJanuary 15, 2013
Work within EEG/neurodiagnostic department for a year lots of backstabbing and management didn't seem to care and was overseen by Sleep dept that didn't value neurodiagnostics or act truthfully. Understaffed and only interested in quantity not quality of work. Poor assembly-line mentality. If you are a tech considering...I'd advise you look elsewhere.
Pros
benefits, lots of overtime
Cons
management immediate coworkers