Swedish Medical Center Employee Reviews

Rn icu
RN ICU/Med/Surg/Neuro (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COJanuary 29, 2017
• Consult with physicians and care team on behalf of patients for optimal patient care.
• Continually educate patients/family on disease process, medication management, use of medical equipment, and sources available to meet patient needs.
• Proficient in wound care (including wound vac), venipuncture, IV medication administration, PICC and central line care, port care/Huber needle placement.
• Perform accurate OASIS documentation.
• Update care team, physicians and patients on care plans and adapt plans as necessary IVs, incision/wound care, medication administration, catheterization and specimen collections. Promote, advocate and collaborate to protect the health and safety and rights of each patient.
RN (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 26, 2017
SMC was a wonderful place to work! Although the nurses had cliques and were snarky, they were educated and gave excellent care. I wish management had a little more control over the snarkiness. I appreciated that there was a good work/ life balance and no mandatory staff meetings. Pretty low key and comfortable environment to work in. Just sad that it happened to be in the rainiest state in the country!
Pros
Great place to work and be a patient
Cons
Cliques
frequent management changes, no opportunities for advancement; terrible problem solving abilities; lack of communication from management to employees
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Issaquah, WADecember 20, 2016
Constant changing of schedule regarding start times. Pressured into taking additional call. I learned some additional procedures. Co-workers constantly back stabbing and tattle tailing.
Pros
Insurance is good as is the pay
Cons
Poor management, high turnover, lack of communication from management and staff. Poor management support
Good, if you in the right group
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 15, 2016
There is a high level of turnover of managers and above. It could be a good place to work, but it depends on the stability and longevity of your one-up. For non-union positions, the job description constantly shifts, work hours vary widely, and work volume is high. Swedish is a large hospital system and shared some resources with Providence. Swedish goes through three year cycles of explosive growth followed by extensive layoffs.
Pros
good health care benefits, subsidized bus pass
Cons
"we've always done it this way" attitude
The Swedish Hospital in Englewood, CO
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Englewood, CODecember 21, 2016
Many of the reviews on this site are for the Swedish Hospital in Seattle, not the one in the Denver area. Overall a decent place to work. Management can be a little reactive, but being proactive in healthcare is tough.
Pros
PTO is generous, opportunity in nursing for lateral movement and advancement
Cons
Parking, not near light rail, turnover
This was a position in which I felt most accomplished, respected and appreciated
Claims Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 19, 2017
Acted as team leader in changing and developing new processes and procedures to effectively manage the workers compensation claims. Managed all aspects of the WC claims I handled. I enjoyed working with all the team members.
Pros
Excellent team
Cons
non that I remember
Co-workers
Patient Registration Representative (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 7, 2016
I loved working in the environment that i was in. I was very comfortable with all my staff members. We worked as a great team. I am very sad to say i am moving on from Swedish but if i wasnt moving out of state, i definitely can see myself staying with Swedish for many more years.
Pros
Hours available to work
Cons
Cutting shifts due to company budget
It is a nice place to work
Financial Counselor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 7, 2016
I have learn somethings but I fell that I am not using all the skills that I have and I would like to make sure I'm suing the skills I have gained, I enjoy my coworker, everyone is pretty nice, but I need more of a job were I am interacting with patient and coworkers
Pros
good insurance
Cons
not very much advancement, job discription changes often, no one person to answer question about your job
Grateful to learn from the best!
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 22, 2016
As a part of the Swedish Medical Center staff I felt that I had the opportunity, physical setup, and the support of management to do the best possible practices concerning nursing care for the hospitalized patient. The culture of care encouraged continual growth, respect for patient's individual needs, and distinguished Swedish Medical Center as a community cornerstone. I am grateful to have been a part of that team.
Pros
great team-building
Cons
no more home health department
Interesting place to work-
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 23, 2017
Learned a great deal at this particular job. Was an inner city hospital so had a broadly diverse population of patients. I enjoyed that very much. Staffed well, as we did primary care.
Pros
Good learning environment
Cons
Not in a safe neighborhood at the time.
Decent Place
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  SeattleNovember 21, 2016
This is not a horrible company to work for. However, the benefits can be better. Also, paid time off can be better as well. All sick, vacation and holiday pay must come out of your own PTO bank.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No Holiday Pay, Benefits are okay, Micromanagement
Good place to work if you're union
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAFebruary 1, 2017
SEIU has a very strong presence here, but if you're not a member you have about a 50/50 chance of getting a raise--and there is no such thing as a COLA here.
Pros
Generous PTO
Cons
Strict sick call occurrence policy
Excellent
Clinical Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COJanuary 22, 2017
Progressive, patient centered, focus on patient and staff satisfaction, supportive administration, changing culture with implementation of AIDET and patient and staff rounding, employee forums etc.
Good Place to Work
Perioperative RN (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 28, 2016
SMC offer's competitive wages, & overall good benefit plan. The biggest drawback of working at SMC is the very high-cost of living in the greater-Seattle area. Housing prices in Seattle go up on a daily basis, this trend doesn't show any signs of ending soon. Seattle is simply growing way too fast, we're second only to Dubai in the number of immobile cranes on building sites.
Pros
Good wages.
Cons
If you can find any housing, it will be expensive.
steady environment, checking patients to there appointment and verifying there demographics
Patient Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 7, 2016
Check patients in, collect any co-pays they might have, or update demographics and new insurances.
I also ask for any balances patients might have. In my free time I scan forms in, fax, or make copies of forms.
Senior Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 27, 2017
Great place to work! Fun environment. Great management. Along bus line. Great benefits. Great people to work with. Great medical care and providers that care about you.
Always busy
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 27, 2016
I enjoyed working here because of how busy it was day to day, it kept me in shape and occupied. everyone was respectful and hard working. Most days were the same and consistent. It was nice seeing patients with familiar faces who always looked happy. Working here was my favorite job, I only left because I moved out of town.
Pros
Had Friday off, everyone was understanding
Cons
expensive parking
It was like family
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ballard, WAJuly 14, 2016
I would love to say the people I worked with for so long at Swedish were like a family. The teamwork was always excellent and it made the demanding/busy work of a clinic smooth and fun as possible. I tip my hat to those who continue on. I will miss everyone.
I learned how to succeed as a leader being there the longest. I was the resource for vaccines and inventory and EMR procedures.
The hardest part of my job was justifying my position as new management came in.
Pros
Solid and supportive group of co-workers
Cons
Health plan and Parking
Fun mixed with work
Vascular Access RN (Current Employee) –  Swedish Medical CenterAugust 18, 2016
I love my coworkers. We love our line of work. We would gladly remain there until retirement.

Read emails. Fill empty shifts over the four campuses of Swedish.

Work on Education projects.

Answer calls as they come in.

Charge RN, solving problems as they arise. Assisting others as needed.
Pros
The people
Cons
Budget problems
Great place to start in health care
New Patient Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 31, 2016
I would not work from then again but grateful for my time. It was a good place to learn health care and to build the resume and then move onto a new company. The staff was over worked and underpaid

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swedish Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Swedish Medical Center Reviews by Location