Swedish Medical Center

Swedish Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Awesome Learning Environment
CNA (Current Employee) –  Englewood, CODecember 29, 2015
At Swedish, there are always employees willing to teach. The environment is clean and friendly. I am always greeted as I walk the halls. It is a very fun and rewarding place to work.
Okay place to work
Patient Registration Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 22, 2013
Some departments are fantastic, others are not. The company is going through a lot of changes, not everyone is handling that well. But, some of the management is absolutely wonderful.
Pros
great healthcare benefits, easy to move up in company
Cons
patient safety issues, office politics
Not living up to religious background
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 16, 2015
I began when Providence was in the early integration process with Swedish. Since this time I've seen a lot of secrecy, targeting and a lack of a moral compass on the side of the providence leadership especially on the Supply Chain side. Any and all promotions have been given to prior Providence employees instead of anyone associated with Swedish. Consistently staff has been kept out of the loop on changes or told last minute and
leadership overall has made things difficult to say the least.
In essence it has become such a terrible atmosphere that there are growing concerns for the future.
Cons
terrible leadership from above
Productive and educational experience.
Radiologic Technologist Student (Former Employee) –  Englewood, CODecember 8, 2015
Enjoyed my stay with Swedish Medical Center. Was very productive and educational. The co-workers were very helpful and pleasant to be with. Thank you.
Great place to work at!
RN Float staff (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA, Redmond, First Hill, Cherry Hill.December 1, 2015
Great hospital to work at!!
Teamwork is not always practiced among nurses. Overall great system to work with, EPIC. Interested in doing more of patient care and relations, vs being just a bedside nurse.
Horrific Work Experience
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swedish Heart & Vascular, EdmondsMarch 22, 2013
I too noticed the problems with slander, cronyism, and deceit, mostly by an inadequate Office Manager who discriminated against me for over seven years, was less than objective and highly dishonest. It not only happened to myself but it happened to a few of my coworkers alike. My experience was a tough road and I am so displeased with how the last few years has ended for me. I am finding more and more about how this has happened to others. People who had started believing that they were supporting something that was real and important to their lives. Believing in the patient service and commitment we were told existed here at Swedish Heart & Vascular. Only to be bullied, manipulated and treated as if we were inferior to others who worked harder on pleasing management, than working with and whom we should all be committed to, our patients. I hope that this is realized soon. That a change happens for the best. That the focus there will switch to what is always should be about, the people who need our services. I can only hope and pray that this happens soon.
Pros
none at all for employee
Cons
low pay, hardly any raises, gullible and lazy physicians that are easily manipulated against you by manager, incapable hr department willing to do anything but help, constant rescheduling of appointments, no lunch room at least once weekly, bathroom odors permeate the entire office due to no fan.
Too many changes with no opinion
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 2, 2013
Wonderful place to grow as a professional nurse. My knowledge and opinions never mattered to management. Wonderful place to learn these new management techniques.
Pros
career advancements, pay/benefits
Cons
too much outsourcing
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
NICU Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 19, 2015
Every day differs. A typical day is prioritizing my work and resources so that I can be helpful to the nurses I work with. The more efficient I am the more time it allows them for bedside care.

I learned a lot from my time in NICU. I learned compassion and to be grateful for every healthy day you and your family have. I learned that team work can save lives or at least make them better.

I really appreciated that management was there and came in when we were busy or needed help.

My co-workers were great you really felt a part of the team and everyone communicated well. I really miss everyone there and would not have left except I needed full time hours.

The hardest part of the job was watching babies go down hill. No matter what support you provide or work to give the family it is definitely the ones we lost that made the job hard.

The best part of the job was to watch families take their babies home and when they came back to show you how happy and healthy the baby is later on.
Pros
rewarding work and being a part of team to help families.
Cons
losing a battle is literally life and death
Management not truthful workers great...
EEG tech (Former Employee) –  Englewood, CoJanuary 15, 2013
Work within EEG/neurodiagnostic department for a year lots of backstabbing and management didn't seem to care and was overseen by Sleep dept that didn't value neurodiagnostics or act truthfully. Understaffed and only interested in quantity not quality of work. Poor assembly-line mentality. If you are a tech considering...I'd advise you look elsewhere.
Pros
benefits, lots of overtime
Cons
management immediate coworkers
I was a medical records clerk
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Englewood CoJune 24, 2015
I enjoyed this company. This was an upper scale company, I filed, faxed, multi line phones, pulled records for request, Strong attention to detail.
Pros
Three breaks, Thirty minute lunch break
Cons
Great health benefits.
Draining and exhausting place.
Financial Area (Former Employee) –  Englwood, COApril 30, 2013
I worked within the HealthOne company for 9+ years and specifically at Swedish Medical in Englewood, CO for 6 years. I never felt so much relief and stress off my shoulders after walking away from the position I had. I was paid a fair amount, but I was salaried and when reviewing the number of hours, holidays and weekends I was having to put it....there is no way the pay match correctly. Management was always after the bottom dollar and really didn't care about the employee's that actually did the work.
Run the other way if you are every offered a job. It is not worth giving up your personal life to make them money.
Pros
cafteria on site-very expensive though.
Cons
could not do lunch, breaks or anything without feeling guilt from higher management.
Continuous pressure from upper-management
Credit Balance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 6, 2013
With the billing office being brought back in-house after 10 years, SMC was able to provide a new "home" for a lot of people. What they failed in, is hiring supervisors from the out-sourced company (HSNW) and the supervisors bringing their favorites "in." Since they already had a working relationships, the supervisors would favor them over everyone else. It has been like this since I've started here.

I do not enjoy my time here and I honestly regret switching departments. I came over to this department so I can be well-rounded in the billing world and also utilize my research skills. Since the beginning of this quarter, we've been pressured by upper-management to "clean up" accounts with no directions given. I was also poorly trained so I had to learn along the way.
not a happy place to be.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 4, 2014
I found that Swedish has a history of rolling lay-offs. I worked there for seven years and was lay-off 4 times. Management was very hard to approach. Compensation/Benefits were slashed after the company bought up all the extra hospitals.
Cons
no breaks
Hugely corporate environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COAugust 14, 2015
Not the same place I started at. Leadership has turned over
completely, good, experienced staff are leaving in droves and there is no attempt to stop them. It is all about the money. It's corporate through and through. I'm leaving as fast as I can. NEVER enough staff
Pros
Cons
no CNAs, short staffed, poor support
It's been a great place for me and I have advanced as much as I could with my current qualifications.
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 19, 2014
A typical day working as a Case Manager on the Orthopedic Unit is very busy reviewing patients problem list, assessing their need for Home Health Care vs Rehab Center and making the necessary arrangements. Acting as a liaison between patients, families, staff, service providers and assessing if a Social Worker is needed.

I learned that lot's of communication is key.

Management is sensitive to you needs and request within their limits, they attempt to provide a place where you would want to work and work closely with you.

Constant interaction in an open area can be very distracting.

The people, patients, co-workers, doctors, product representatives.
Pros
flexible schedule. salaried.
Cons
some days are very long.
Awsome people awful management
Histology Technician (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 13, 2015
Coworkers are awesome but most of the management lacks of experience and knowledge on how to deal with people, with some training for the coordinators the place would be great.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
coordinators
Long Time position
LEAD IMPLANT MATERIALS SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 29, 2012
 Provide on-site Surgery Material Management for Cherry Hill Product Distribution Center (PDC).
 Ordering, monitoring, tracking, cycle counting inventory of supplies, implants, manufactured and human tissue, valued in excess of $16.5 million dollars.
 Pull and assemble patient charge supplies as requested for scheduled surgical cases.
 Print and review two-week surgery schedule for any conflicts with vendor provided product

 Account for patient charge inventory used during a surgical procedure, validating the usage in EPIC with the circulating nurse’s account.
 Send all validated charges to Finance for patient billing.
 Provide customer service for vendors.
 Account for all lot and serial number for human, bovine and porcine tissue in accordance with Joint Commission guidelines and complies with all other regulatory requirements.
Great experience
Charge therapist, cross trained in ICU, ER & more (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 30, 2012
A typical day involves creating assignments, helping staff complete their assignments, transports, bedside trachs, attending code blues and rapid responses. I learned I work well in stressful situations. They can't keep management help, and often times you find yourself in a position where someone with less training than yourself is running the shift. The hardest part was staffing and completing the heavy assignments. This is not a job for someone who wants to visit with the patients. The best part is working with outstanding physicians.
Pros
lots of challenges, great physicians, plenty of room for growth, never a dull moment, lots of overtime
Cons
lots of turnover, shift managers are not always qualified, heavy workloads.
Nice place to work
Secretary IV (Current Employee) –  Englewood, CONovember 21, 2014
I support of the Director of Education, eight Clinical Educators and the daily operations of the Clinical Education Department as well as all aspects of over 154 classes/courses daily, including annual. This includes class planning, building the course in the Healthcare Learning System (HLS)-HealthStream, all class registration and administrative support of the class daily schedule flow. I am one of the two HLS HealthStream Administrators for the facility and teach a “HealthSteam Administrator Overview” course quarterly. I am responsible for the department’s payroll processing using the KRONOS system. I also, support of the Licensed/Unlicensed new hire orientation. I maintain several data bases. Orientated department new hires on department attendance procedures and the use of applications used by the organization. (Please see attached resume for more detail)

Considering other job opportunities due to the possible decentralization of the Clinical Education Department and hoping to advance my career. My Director is aware I am considering other opportunities.
Great opportunity to learn various areas of Healthcare
Supply Chain Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 4, 2015
I worked in a great atmosphere, with an opportunity to work independently, and with large groups.

Management included me in high level work including:

~ The merger of two major healthcare organizations.
~ Software Implementation campus wide.
~ Budget preparation.
Pros
ability to work independently, occasionally worked remote.
Cons
position was eliminated due to organization restructure.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swedish Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Swedish Medical Center Reviews by Location