Swedish Medical Center

Swedish Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

It's been a great place for me and I have advanced as much as I could with my current qualifications.
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 19, 2014
A typical day working as a Case Manager on the Orthopedic Unit is very busy reviewing patients problem list, assessing their need for Home Health Care vs Rehab Center and making the necessary arrangements. Acting as a liaison between patients, families, staff, service providers and assessing if a Social Worker is needed.

I learned that lot's of communication is key.

Management is sensitive to you needs and request within their limits, they attempt to provide a place where you would want to work and work closely with you.

Constant interaction in an open area can be very distracting.

The people, patients, co-workers, doctors, product representatives.
Pros
flexible schedule. salaried.
Cons
some days are very long.
Continuous pressure from upper-management
Credit Balance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 6, 2013
With the billing office being brought back in-house after 10 years, SMC was able to provide a new "home" for a lot of people. What they failed in, is hiring supervisors from the out-sourced company (HSNW) and the supervisors bringing their favorites "in." Since they already had a working relationships, the supervisors would favor them over everyone else. It has been like this since I've started here.

I do not enjoy my time here and I honestly regret switching departments. I came over to this department so I can be well-rounded in the billing world and also utilize my research skills. Since the beginning of this quarter, we've been pressured by upper-management to "clean up" accounts with no directions given. I was also poorly trained so I had to learn along the way.
Long Time position
LEAD IMPLANT MATERIALS SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 29, 2012
 Provide on-site Surgery Material Management for Cherry Hill Product Distribution Center (PDC).
 Ordering, monitoring, tracking, cycle counting inventory of supplies, implants, manufactured and human tissue, valued in excess of $16.5 million dollars.
 Pull and assemble patient charge supplies as requested for scheduled surgical cases.
 Print and review two-week surgery schedule for any conflicts with vendor provided product

 Account for patient charge inventory used during a surgical procedure, validating the usage in EPIC with the circulating nurse’s account.
 Send all validated charges to Finance for patient billing.
 Provide customer service for vendors.
 Account for all lot and serial number for human, bovine and porcine tissue in accordance with Joint Commission guidelines and complies with all other regulatory requirements.
Great experience
Charge therapist, cross trained in ICU, ER & more (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 30, 2012
A typical day involves creating assignments, helping staff complete their assignments, transports, bedside trachs, attending code blues and rapid responses. I learned I work well in stressful situations. They can't keep management help, and often times you find yourself in a position where someone with less training than yourself is running the shift. The hardest part was staffing and completing the heavy assignments. This is not a job for someone who wants to visit with the patients. The best part is working with outstanding physicians.
Pros
lots of challenges, great physicians, plenty of room for growth, never a dull moment, lots of overtime
Cons
lots of turnover, shift managers are not always qualified, heavy workloads.
Great opportunity to learn various areas of Healthcare
Supply Chain Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 4, 2015
I worked in a great atmosphere, with an opportunity to work independently, and with large groups.

Management included me in high level work including:

~ The merger of two major healthcare organizations.
~ Software Implementation campus wide.
~ Budget preparation.
Pros
ability to work independently, occasionally worked remote.
Cons
position was eliminated due to organization restructure.
A day at work
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  EnglewoodOctober 16, 2012
Go into work get report from the night techs about the patients we are taking care of that day, give baths, help them order breakfast, give them clean linen on their beds. Sit them up in a chair if possible. The evironment I worked around was cool and fun, lots of joking around. We worked together as a team for the most part and helped eachother out when needed. The part that made me feel I accomplished what I was supposed to that day was taking care of my patients and making them feel happy and joke with them and get to know their families as if they were mine. Work also would give me a reality check about life, that I didn't have it so bad afterall and that the little things that I complained about were nothing compared to what my patients were going through. Some of them will never walk again or talk again.
Pros
got 4 days off
Cons
12 hour shifts were tough and the job was hard on the body
High stress environment with great coworkers
Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 24, 2014
Every day brought new learning opportunities and challenges. I worked in a fast paced emergency department supporting the clinical staff, ancillary departments, and patients and their families. There were several changes in management over the course of my employment, which brought challenges as the staff, including myself, adapted to new management styles and vision for our department and hospital.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
many changes in management
Excellent Patient Care
Senior Web Programmer (Former Employee) –  SeattleJune 30, 2012
A day shift work week would cover Monday to Friday. On-Call 24x7 support is needed to support some healthcare applications.

To be successful, be open to support staff in areas of your expertise.

Management change occurs approximately every 5 years. Be open to new suggestions to meet their management style.

Co-workers are curtious and friendly. This makes the job interesting and enjoyable.
Pros
subsidized transit orca cards
Cons
medicare payment cuts are affecting all hospital budgets
Fun-loving and fast-paced work environment
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Issaquah, WAJanuary 17, 2014
I enjoy working with everyone in the patient registration and emergency department area. A typical day is to register patients who present to the ER in under two minutes, call to the ED and have the patient escorted to a room. I then obtain insurance information and complete the registration process. My co-workers are wonderful and love working with every single one of them. The hardest part of my job would be the kids that come into the ER. They are scared and do not know what is going to happen and I would prefer to play with them than see them upset. On the flip side of that coin, the most enjoyable is seeing their smiling faces when we give them beanie babies. We have a supply of beanie babies that are donated for children that come into the ER.
unhappy staff, mean spirited toward students learning the trade
Radiologic Technologist / Externship (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 2, 2013
I was excited to start an externship rotation here, but was very surprised at how the staff conducted themselves. There was a lot of discontent among the workers and it permeated everything. I didn't learn as much here as I hoped. It seems this facility hires very young radiologist technologists who get the job done, but I think it would have made a difference had it been a mix of young and old. I'm not sure what the cure would be for the Imaging department, but it needs a dose of positive, uplifting energy whether that be in the form of better pay, or treatment; I don't know. I enjoyed the diverse patients and varied exams. Craig Hospital transporters (next door to Swedish) are the most awesome people you will ever meet in the medical field in Denver.
Pros
great doctors
Cons
discontented and overwhelmed workers
Clicky un-professional and very un-stable
maintenance tech engineer 1 (Former Employee) –  EdmondsOctober 26, 2013
coming in to work grabbing the pager taking calls doing work orders whatever else needs to be done maintenance wise.

I gained more knowledge of HVAC and I worked on new projects particular to that facility such as tracing nomadic lines and such to find leaks.

co-workers I got along with everyone I am easygoing but they were and inside group and not extremely open to new people in the group but I did my best.

Fixing beds was a challenge because they are all different and I am not a certified bed tech but I do my best to get things done or get help with it if I am not trained on them.

I liked working in a hospital environment.
Pros
i liked working in a hospital environment.
Cons
they are not very professional when it comes to managment
High Trauma - with high stress
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COJune 29, 2012
Ambulances arrivals seven days a week - and twenty four hours. We have anywhere from gun shot wounds, to stabbings, motor vehicle accidents to strokes, people die and are brought back to life all the time. I have learned to move quickly, and budget my time well. Prioritise people problems as to take care of the most serious first. The most difficult thing for me is to see families crying for their lost one - any many times I cry with them. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see a baby born, and thereafter look me straight in the eyes - there is nothing better than that.
Pros
work four 10 hour shifts - off 3 days a week
Cons
no breaks, short lunches -
Great hospital to work for
Nuclear Medicine PET/CT Technologist (Current Employee) –  Englewood, CODecember 19, 2014
-Flexible hours
-Advancement possibilities are good if you are willing to put in the time and effort
Was there when the Hospital was known as Ballard Community Hospital, seen alot of changes.
Patient Service Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  seattle waApril 10, 2013
I enjoyed being the first one there, getting charts ready, checking phone messages. Working there has taught me, death does not discriminate. During my time there we went through several different managers, so in the end we didn't have one for the unit. My co-workers were a team of 5 RN's, that loved their job. I would say that the hardest part of that job was watching patients and their family members suffer. Most enjoyable was when an patient got good news of being in remission.
Pros
always worked with a great team
Cons
not enough staff
Fast-paced and exciting environment with outstanding group of people
Sonography Intern (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COSeptember 11, 2012
Swedish Ultrasound is a fun and special group to work with starting from the Supervisor. They perform Ultrasound exams on Outpatients, Inpatients, ER patients, and also Craig Hospital patients. The Craig patients are challenging because they were SPI and TBI which teaches you to be very creative in your scanning abilities. Majority of the exams are Abdominal, Renal, and Vascular studies with a mixture of Small Parts, Gynecological, OB, Neonatal, Transcranial Doppler, and Arterial. There are daily Ultrasound-guided procedures as well.
RRT (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 8, 2013
Good place to work, enjoyed the people & management. Would recommend Swedish Medical Center to anyone looking for a career in healthcare.
Pros
good co-workers
Very organized and awesome people
Student (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COJanuary 26, 2015
The staff is very friendly and always willing to help. The way they the lead tech goes through all of the orders and gives them to the tech's is very organized. Everyone was really good at treating each other well. I was able to take x-rays with indirect supervision and without the tech's telling me how they would do it.
Active place to work
MST (Current Employee) –  Englewood, CODecember 31, 2013
I work in Trauma at Swedish as an MST. I both work the floor and the desk as a unit secretary. I handle patients and family on a daily basis. My co-workers are some of the best people to work with always willing to help. My directors are very flexible and willing to work with you on school schedule as well as giving you the opportunity in advancement as a MST.
I will miss the people I work with
principal Cafe Entree Cook (Current Employee) –  Ballard, WANovember 8, 2014
I currently cook; 2 soups (scratch), 2 entrees, starch and vegie daily. Also take care of breakfast specials and other items. Also, cover absences and break coverage for the department in tandem with sous chef. Sous Chef and I work together to conserve product, be creative with menu for the Cafe, and have a bit of fun doing it.
Pros
freedom to be creative with Cafe menu
Cons
I have to move to Missoula, I will miss it
New Hospital
CSSD Manager for the Interventional Platform (Current Employee) –  Issaquah, WANovember 5, 2014
I started this journey as Swedish's newest hospital to open. While the first year was challenging and we lost allot of good people that where not up to the challenge the following years have bee filled with great opportunities to create a department that operates from my vision.
Pros
tons of new faces with fresh ideas
Cons
tons of new faces with fresh ideas

Swedish Medical Center Reviews by Location