Swedish Medical Center

Swedish Medical Center Employee Reviews

It depends on your situation varies depending on location and group
Clinic Administrator (Current Employee) –  Eastside, WAApril 21, 2016
I am grateful for my time at Swedish I have learned a great deal. I have learned about the inner workings of healthcare during a dynamic time of change.
Pros
Opportunities to learn
Environment and benefits
STAFF NURSE (Current Employee) –  Issaquah, WANovember 17, 2013
Swedish Hospital offers a pleasant work environment with excellent benefits.
Great work environment with many opportunities for growth
Clinical Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 2, 2014
I will always consider Swedish Medical Center to be like a second home for me. I cannot be more enthusiastic about what a great place to work this hospital is. The management is very friendly and supportive. Fellow staff members are courteous, helpful, and often entertaining. There are just as many opportunities for growth, if not more compared to similar hospital settings, however the environment is one that is much more laid back and low stress. The job itself can be stressful given the critical condition of many of the patients, however that is expected in this field. If anyone is looking for an inpatient pharmacist job in the Seattle area, I would strongly recommend Swedish.
Pros
Good atmosphere, friendly staff, career opportunities, sense of family.
Cons
Repetition, variable hours, parking
Fun, warm work environment
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COOctober 12, 2015
Working with Swedish Medical Center is a great opportunity and I love the staff, great teamwork environment. Being at Swedish a typical work day would consist of rooming patients and taking their vitals. At Swedish EClinical Works is the software used to enter patient information. The management at Swedish is exceptional. The hardest part of this job is the amount of travel that is placed upon staff, as we are currently short-staffed. The most enjoyable part of working at Swedish is the environment. Very comfortable, and the ability to come together as a team to ensure patient satisfaction is remarkable.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Traveling
Best team to be on!
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Englewood, CODecember 4, 2015
I thoroughly enjoy my job! We have a great staff of doctors, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, therapists, nursing assistants, cleaning crew, chefs and of course our management. We have grown exceedingly to high expectations of our clientele since my arrival. The management has made great choices on hiring staff that are great to work with. Staff has brought challenges forward to overcome as a team. Meet and surpass expectations on every level!
Pros
Going to work at Swedish Medical Center
A very nice work enviroment.
Material Distribution, and Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  Issaquah, WAMarch 21, 2012
Swedish is a great company to work for! Managment is very helpful to you whenever you have questions about anything. The Issaquah facility where I currently work is a wonderful pace to be empolyed. The culture of Swedish is a great one, it's about helping out your fellow team mate. Since I started working for Swedish it has been such a time. It is really importatnt to like where you work, it reflects on your own work, and I think that means a lot. Starting at support services all the way to Adminstration. When you work hard and your friendly swedish really takes notice and you'll hear about witch makes you feel special. Since I like where I work it makes it fun to show up everyday and do my best!
Not a place that cares for the employee
transport (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COJanuary 6, 2016
Management are all about themselves and do not care about you as an individual no matter how long you work here or how many hours you put in. Especially the Radiology department and director.Most workers are under a microscope and are written up for anything and everything. The enviornment is extremely stressful.
Pros
Cons
Manegement, especially leadership and non expierenced
One of the best hospitals I have ever worked for
Travel RN (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 5, 2016
The staff is amazing, the facility is clean and organized, and the doctors are always on point. If I or a loved on had to go the hospital I would choose Swedish over other hospitals in the area.
Pros
Working at Swedish is a major pro
Cons
having to leave swedish is the only con
Draining and exhausting place.
Financial Area (Former Employee) –  Englwood, COApril 30, 2013
I worked within the HealthOne company for 9+ years and specifically at Swedish Medical in Englewood, CO for 6 years. I never felt so much relief and stress off my shoulders after walking away from the position I had. I was paid a fair amount, but I was salaried and when reviewing the number of hours, holidays and weekends I was having to put it....there is no way the pay match correctly. Management was always after the bottom dollar and really didn't care about the employee's that actually did the work.
Run the other way if you are every offered a job. It is not worth giving up your personal life to make them money.
Pros
Cafteria on site-very expensive though.
Cons
Could not do lunch, breaks or anything without feeling guilt from higher management.
Company shows very little concern for/support of employees. We are leaving in vast numbers!
RN (Former Employee) –  Littleton, ColoradoSeptember 21, 2015
I was in the SWER for 9 years, loved my co-workers but direct manager was the worst I have ever had. They consistently have us working short, don't care about safety, and keep adding tasks to the already overwhelmed nurses. These tasks are not about patient safety, but about billing and making sure that they are able to collect every penny! They are trading patient safety for more profits.
They have also given the medical staff the absolute worst charting system that I have ever seen...they told us it would be "improved" but it was the cheapest version of meditech that they could get! Again, no concern about helping the staff safely document, only concerns about how much profit they make! I will NEVER work for a Health One/HCA hospital again!
Pros
I loved my fellow employees!
Cons
Employees are not important to the company.
Not living up to religious background
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 16, 2015
I began when Providence was in the early integration process with Swedish. Since this time I've seen a lot of secrecy, targeting and a lack of a moral compass on the side of the providence leadership especially on the Supply Chain side. Any and all promotions have been given to prior Providence employees instead of anyone associated with Swedish. Consistently staff has been kept out of the loop on changes or told last minute and
leadership overall has made things difficult to say the least.
In essence it has become such a terrible atmosphere that there are growing concerns for the future.
Cons
Terrible leadership from above
Continuous pressure from upper-management
Credit Balance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 6, 2013
With the billing office being brought back in-house after 10 years, SMC was able to provide a new "home" for a lot of people. What they failed in, is hiring supervisors from the out-sourced company (HSNW) and the supervisors bringing their favorites "in." Since they already had a working relationships, the supervisors would favor them over everyone else. It has been like this since I've started here.

I do not enjoy my time here and I honestly regret switching departments. I came over to this department so I can be well-rounded in the billing world and also utilize my research skills. Since the beginning of this quarter, we've been pressured by upper-management to "clean up" accounts with no directions given. I was also poorly trained so I had to learn along the way.
It's been a great place for me and I have advanced as much as I could with my current qualifications.
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 19, 2014
A typical day working as a Case Manager on the Orthopedic Unit is very busy reviewing patients problem list, assessing their need for Home Health Care vs Rehab Center and making the necessary arrangements. Acting as a liaison between patients, families, staff, service providers and assessing if a Social Worker is needed.

I learned that lot's of communication is key.

Management is sensitive to you needs and request within their limits, they attempt to provide a place where you would want to work and work closely with you.

Constant interaction in an open area can be very distracting.

The people, patients, co-workers, doctors, product representatives.
Pros
Flexible schedule. Salaried.
Cons
Some days are very long.
Long Time position
LEAD IMPLANT MATERIALS SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 29, 2012
 Provide on-site Surgery Material Management for Cherry Hill Product Distribution Center (PDC).
 Ordering, monitoring, tracking, cycle counting inventory of supplies, implants, manufactured and human tissue, valued in excess of $16.5 million dollars.
 Pull and assemble patient charge supplies as requested for scheduled surgical cases.
 Print and review two-week surgery schedule for any conflicts with vendor provided product

 Account for patient charge inventory used during a surgical procedure, validating the usage in EPIC with the circulating nurse’s account.
 Send all validated charges to Finance for patient billing.
 Provide customer service for vendors.
 Account for all lot and serial number for human, bovine and porcine tissue in accordance with Joint Commission guidelines and complies with all other regulatory requirements.
Great experience
Charge therapist, cross trained in ICU, ER & more (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 30, 2012
A typical day involves creating assignments, helping staff complete their assignments, transports, bedside trachs, attending code blues and rapid responses. I learned I work well in stressful situations. They can't keep management help, and often times you find yourself in a position where someone with less training than yourself is running the shift. The hardest part was staffing and completing the heavy assignments. This is not a job for someone who wants to visit with the patients. The best part is working with outstanding physicians.
Pros
lots of challenges, great physicians, plenty of room for growth, never a dull moment, lots of overtime
Cons
lots of turnover, shift managers are not always qualified, heavy workloads.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
NICU Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 19, 2015
Every day differs. A typical day is prioritizing my work and resources so that I can be helpful to the nurses I work with. The more efficient I am the more time it allows them for bedside care.

I learned a lot from my time in NICU. I learned compassion and to be grateful for every healthy day you and your family have. I learned that team work can save lives or at least make them better.

I really appreciated that management was there and came in when we were busy or needed help.

My co-workers were great you really felt a part of the team and everyone communicated well. I really miss everyone there and would not have left except I needed full time hours.

The hardest part of the job was watching babies go down hill. No matter what support you provide or work to give the family it is definitely the ones we lost that made the job hard.

The best part of the job was to watch families take their babies home and when they came back to show you how happy and healthy the baby is later on.
Pros
Rewarding work and being a part of team to help families.
Cons
Losing a battle is literally life and death
Nice place to work
Secretary IV (Current Employee) –  Englewood, CONovember 21, 2014
I support of the Director of Education, eight Clinical Educators and the daily operations of the Clinical Education Department as well as all aspects of over 154 classes/courses daily, including annual. This includes class planning, building the course in the Healthcare Learning System (HLS)-HealthStream, all class registration and administrative support of the class daily schedule flow. I am one of the two HLS HealthStream Administrators for the facility and teach a “HealthSteam Administrator Overview” course quarterly. I am responsible for the department’s payroll processing using the KRONOS system. I also, support of the Licensed/Unlicensed new hire orientation. I maintain several data bases. Orientated department new hires on department attendance procedures and the use of applications used by the organization. (Please see attached resume for more detail)

Considering other job opportunities due to the possible decentralization of the Clinical Education Department and hoping to advance my career. My Director is aware I am considering other opportunities.
Swedish Med Center
Research Associate I, Center of Perinatal Studies (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 19, 2016
In my opinion, Swedish Medical Center is one of the best Health Care facilities in the region. Professional stuff and great customer service is a trademark for Swedish Medical Center. It is also great place to work.
A day at work
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  EnglewoodOctober 16, 2012
Go into work get report from the night techs about the patients we are taking care of that day, give baths, help them order breakfast, give them clean linen on their beds. Sit them up in a chair if possible. The evironment I worked around was cool and fun, lots of joking around. We worked together as a team for the most part and helped eachother out when needed. The part that made me feel I accomplished what I was supposed to that day was taking care of my patients and making them feel happy and joke with them and get to know their families as if they were mine. Work also would give me a reality check about life, that I didn't have it so bad afterall and that the little things that I complained about were nothing compared to what my patients were going through. Some of them will never walk again or talk again.
Pros
got 4 days off
Cons
12 hour shifts were tough and the job was hard on the body
Wouldnt have taken this job if I wasn't desperate!
Do not wish to answer (Current Employee) –  Englewood coMarch 8, 2015
Not enough pay. They are one of the lowest paying hospitals in Denver area. Their equipment is falling apart. The pay differential is almost nonexistent and their holiday pay is a joke! Basically unless you work overnight for at least 6 to 8 hours, you don't get pay for working holidays. Don't know what the hospital does with their money! Short breaks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swedish Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Swedish Medical Center Reviews by Location