SwedishAmerican Health System Employee Reviews

Good place to work.
File Room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILSeptember 22, 2017
When working at SAH my co-workers were great. Great boss. Very flexible hrs. for me. I enjoyed my time there. Had a very organized boss who was a good leader.
Not Welcoming
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILSeptember 20, 2017
They have very poor management, rude employees, and always make you feel as if your constantly doing something wrong. They are so very quick to get on you for doing the wrong things and never show you praise when your doing well. Maybe because its part of your job and its expected of you? But either way, it is still nice to be acknowledged. It's like high school all over again. Snotty and rude employees and are constantly tattling on one another, talking behind each others back, and they are divided into groups. I would not recommend working for Swedish American; Especially Woodside Clinic.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short staffed, unorganized, terrible health benefits
Enjoyable place to work.
Senior Secretary (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILSeptember 10, 2017
Greeting and badging new and current employees as well as granting and changing access levels for badge system.
Employees are great to work with.
I get to meet all of the new employees.
Release of Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 3, 2017
For the last 17 years I enjoyed my time at Swedish American Hospital. I liked that it was fairly easy to move up in the system, they did a lot of hiring from within.
Pros
they did a lot of hireinf from within the system
Cons
na
Management are bullies and liers
Medical Office Professional/ Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 24, 2017
Management and executives are bullies! They smile at you and stab you in the back. Don't plan to work there long term. - they will fire you. Any kind of "Change" watch out!!!!

I was there 15 years. I have great memories, experiences and made great friends..... But management and above are out for themselves.
Pros
Make good friends
Cons
Management are executives are liers and bullies
my bad experience came down to managment.
Vending Attendant (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 18, 2017
Would recommend for a great started job, but stay away from management. But with benefits and an above average starting pay this is a good place for high school students after graduation. Just pass the drug test.
Pros
decent pay, benefits, good company
Cons
managment
A never boring job. Changes made frequently. Education and training huge part of the organization.
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 16, 2017
I typical day would be seeing about 100 people daily for procedures. We all had the same goal to please our patients. Patient satisfaction was out biggest goal. it was wonderful to have the patients ask for you by your name. Our patients were more like family the hardest part of that job was when a patient received a poor result. The company then began to go the extra mile to keep the patient calm and we would take care of insurance issues and anything else for a better outcome.
Pros
enjoyed meeting so many people
A great team
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJune 16, 2017
Very professional and upbeat atmosphere. A great team of doctors, radiologists, techs and office personnel. Well coordinated and well received by patients.
Pros
A great team.
Cons
none comes to mind
Terrible department
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMay 25, 2017
Centralized phlebotomy is a joke. You don't get any training in policy and procedure. If you don't suck up to the supervisor, you get targeted by her. Rules for that department get made up when she needs something to justify her actions.

No structure. The whole hospital is very lax on rules that should be strictly enforced. Staff gossip in patient rooms.

I was there for 6 months and just had to get out of there. Centralized phlebotomy was so hostile that you were almost afraid to breathe.
Pros
Night shift pay
Cons
Management, nurses, no orientation for phlebotomy
Horrible Management
PCT (Patient Care Technician) (Former Employee) –  7th FloorOctober 4, 2016
By far the worst policies and mgt. Just let go over attendence but was never given the attendence policy from hire. Never told about it, never given paper about it to sign saying it was given to me and I've read it. I was never given verbal warning or written warning like another person posted that happened to them. Mgr told me it was common sense as to my occurances. One of my occurances happened while i was there and was taken to ER by charge nurse. Er sent me home and told me if I need a note they'd be happy to write me one. I called HR and they told me a note from their own ER won't help my case. If you insist on working for this place make sure you get the attendence policy up front. Make sure it's for your floor. One mgr said it's a straight policy throughout the hospital. Another said it's the particular floor's policy. Nobody can decide what policies to make and how to apply them. Always short staffed and nurses usually have 6-7 patients. There are other hospitals and places to work in Rockford. Pass this one up of you like proper mgt and need somewhat of a work life balance.
Benefits
Cons
Management, policies, work life balance
RN (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 21, 2016
I really liked working at SwedishAmerican Health System. I had great Co-Workers and Management.

We had an open door policy where you could talk about anything with Upper Management. They were always open to new ideas and suggestions.
Great Place to Work
QUALITY RESOURCE RN (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILJune 13, 2016
Quality is the focus at SwedishAmerican. Quality and excellence in patient care. They care about Employee success and career advancement.
Job title Roomer
lpn nurse (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 4, 2016
Hands down the most boring job ever. If you dont want a challenge, this is the place for you. Pay was around 18-19 an hour. The Dr was so moody. The other staff members are great. The managment was rarely present. They under utilize LPNs. Rooming patients is not for any nurse with experience, not to mention as an lpn you will not be promoted.
Pros
Free lunch most days
Cons
Pay, respect.
A good local healthcare system to work for
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILNovember 11, 2015
The work conditions and the employees at SwedishAmerican were always top-notch. There were always opportunities within the health system to improve on your necessary skills. Salary was very competitive for the area.
Pros
Wonderful Christmas luncheons for employees!
Poor management
Clinic nurse (Former Employee) –  Rockford ILJuly 19, 2015
The job and provider I worked for was good which is only reason I stayed as long as I did. Very poor management. Direct supervisor clueless to requirements to perform my clinical job. Management would have non clinical staff perform clinical jobs which made it a unsafe work environment. Very hectic work environment do to under staffing and not having qualified staff to perform jobs. I have been a nurse for over 20 years and this was the worst work environment I have ever had. Very happy at new employer.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Love my boss. Great place to work
Clinical Triage Nurse (Current Employee) –  Rockford, IllinoisApril 29, 2014
I triage incoming calls from our various providers patients including IM, Peds, OB, Family practice as well as the general population. These calls could include but are not limited to triaging symptoms, emergency situations, basic and general information and prescription refills. I love the variety and exposure to all areas. I do miss direct patient care however.
Pros
working some hours from home, coworkers
Cons
miss the direct patient care
Extremely stressful without management support.
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMarch 1, 2014
It is difficult to say anything positive about the position of Medical Receptionist. Though it certainly didn't take a rocket scientist to perform the tasks, the stresses to achieve the levels of job expectations with patients were insurmountable. Some examples are face to face interactions with patients, ringing phones and internal requirements expected to be managed all simultaneously. Adequate resources were never provided including management support.
Pros
Some very kind patients and co-workers.
Cons
A few unkind taunting co-workers with lack of policy implementation, difficulty taking desired time off, no regularly scheduled health breaks.
Not a great company to work for.
N/A (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILFebruary 18, 2014
Management wasn't the best. They do not go by the verbal warning, written, and letting you go. I did something that was related to my health and they let me go without any warning. still regret not fighting for my rights. Things happen for a reason, and I am sooo happy where I am at now. Thanks Swedish American Hospital for opening my eyes.
Pros
nothing great, just the benefits.
Cons
not flexible or family oriented.
Great system
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMarch 22, 2013
Worked on a heart failure study. Facilitated testing of participants, recorded information, kept participants files, schedule testing, Facilitated the modules.
Loved my job but that was all
Massage therapist (Former Employee) –  Swedish American health systemFebruary 28, 2013
A typical day at work was massaging patients and doing employees chair massage. I loved working with the patients!! Majority of my immediate co workers were wonderful, not all of them though. Depending on what floor you were working most of the RN's were nice but the other half were caddy and I dreaded working on those floors.
Work loads were not distributed evenly and for some reason if you were not a "yes man" you got shafted. Promotion of a brand new job came up and only the "yes men" got picked to be questioned by the other massage therapists. The person who was picked is nice but management was looking for someone to stay within managements box and not think outside of it.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with caddy RN's, yuk! But I'll tell you when it was time for employee chair massage they were your best friend.
The most enjoyable part was working with patients. Loved to work with the elderly and cancer patients. Cancer patients are the most grateful people even though they are going through very hard times. Some know they will pass on soon and it breaks your heart but knowing you could provide some sort of comfort to them in their time was a touching moment for me. For someone who is dying to allow you to come into their short time was a special feeling I will never forget.
The benefits are good, I had a "wrap" plan which was excellent and that picked up anything my husbands ins didn't, even all the co-pays!! One thing they told me when hired was if you ever need to go to employee health for any reason, "they are there to help." What a joke!
When you do your pre-employment
  more... questionnaire, make sure you put down every bump, bruise, trip, fall, sickness etc you've ever had in your ENTIRE LIFE FROM BIRTH or HR will come back at you on it and "let you go" if you ever get hurt!!  less
Pros
patients!!!
Cons
hr and employee health

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SwedishAmerican Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9