SwedishAmerican Health System Employee Reviews

RN (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 21, 2016
I really liked working at SwedishAmerican Health System. I had great Co-Workers and Management.

We had an open door policy where you could talk about anything with Upper Management. They were always open to new ideas and suggestions.
Great Place to Work
QUALITY RESOURCE RN (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILJune 13, 2016
Quality is the focus at SwedishAmerican. Quality and excellence in patient care. They care about Employee success and career advancement.
Job title Roomer
lpn nurse (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 4, 2016
Hands down the most boring job ever. If you dont want a challenge, this is the place for you. Pay was around 18-19 an hour. The Dr was so moody. The other staff members are great. The managment was rarely present. They under utilize LPNs. Rooming patients is not for any nurse with experience, not to mention as an lpn you will not be promoted.
Pros
Free lunch most days
Cons
Pay, respect.
A good local healthcare system to work for
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILNovember 11, 2015
The work conditions and the employees at SwedishAmerican were always top-notch. There were always opportunities within the health system to improve on your necessary skills. Salary was very competitive for the area.
Pros
Wonderful Christmas luncheons for employees!
Poor management
Clinic nurse (Former Employee) –  Rockford ILJuly 19, 2015
The job and provider I worked for was good which is only reason I stayed as long as I did. Very poor management. Direct supervisor clueless to requirements to perform my clinical job. Management would have non clinical staff perform clinical jobs which made it a unsafe work environment. Very hectic work environment do to under staffing and not having qualified staff to perform jobs. I have been a nurse for over 20 years and this was the worst work environment I have ever had. Very happy at new employer.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Love my boss. Great place to work
Clinical Triage Nurse (Current Employee) –  Rockford, IllinoisApril 29, 2014
I triage incoming calls from our various providers patients including IM, Peds, OB, Family practice as well as the general population. These calls could include but are not limited to triaging symptoms, emergency situations, basic and general information and prescription refills. I love the variety and exposure to all areas. I do miss direct patient care however.
Pros
working some hours from home, coworkers
Cons
miss the direct patient care
Extremely stressful without management support.
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMarch 1, 2014
It is difficult to say anything positive about the position of Medical Receptionist. Though it certainly didn't take a rocket scientist to perform the tasks, the stresses to achieve the levels of job expectations with patients were insurmountable. Some examples are face to face interactions with patients, ringing phones and internal requirements expected to be managed all simultaneously. Adequate resources were never provided including management support.
Pros
some very kind patients and co-workers.
Cons
a few unkind taunting co-workers with lack of policy implementation, difficulty taking desired time off, no regularly scheduled health breaks.
Not a great company to work for.
N/A (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILFebruary 18, 2014
Management wasn't the best. They do not go by the verbal warning, written, and letting you go. I did something that was related to my health and they let me go without any warning. still regret not fighting for my rights. Things happen for a reason, and I am sooo happy where I am at now. Thanks Swedish American Hospital for opening my eyes.
Pros
nothing great, just the benefits.
Cons
not flexible or family oriented.
Great system
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMarch 22, 2013
Worked on a heart failure study. Facilitated testing of participants, recorded information, kept participants files, schedule testing, Facilitated the modules.
Loved my job but that was all
Massage therapist (Former Employee) –  Swedish American health systemFebruary 28, 2013
A typical day at work was massaging patients and doing employees chair massage. I loved working with the patients!! Majority of my immediate co workers were wonderful, not all of them though. Depending on what floor you were working most of the RN's were nice but the other half were caddy and I dreaded working on those floors.
Work loads were not distributed evenly and for some reason if you were not a "yes man" you got shafted. Promotion of a brand new job came up and only the "yes men" got picked to be questioned by the other massage therapists. The person who was picked is nice but management was looking for someone to stay within managements box and not think outside of it.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with caddy RN's, yuk! But I'll tell you when it was time for employee chair massage they were your best friend.
The most enjoyable part was working with patients. Loved to work with the elderly and cancer patients. Cancer patients are the most grateful people even though they are going through very hard times. Some know they will pass on soon and it breaks your heart but knowing you could provide some sort of comfort to them in their time was a touching moment for me. For someone who is dying to allow you to come into their short time was a special feeling I will never forget.
The benefits are good, I had a "wrap" plan which was excellent and that picked up anything my husbands ins didn't, even all the co-pays!! One thing they told me when hired was if you ever need to go to employee health for any reason, "they are there to help." What a joke!
When you do your pre-employment
  more... questionnaire, make sure you put down every bump, bruise, trip, fall, sickness etc you've ever had in your ENTIRE LIFE FROM BIRTH or HR will come back at you on it and "let you go" if you ever get hurt!!  less
Pros
patients!!!
Cons
hr and employee health
Good Place to Work
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Human ResourcesDecember 9, 2012
SwedishAmerican Health System is a very good place to work. I've had the opportunity to advance and have been fortunate to work with some excellent people from leadership to staff level employees. I would highly recommend SwedishAmerican to anyone looking for a career in healthcare.
Pros
employee and family oriented company
Cons
much competition among director level staff, the culture of sah has changed with the uncertainty of healthcare reform, decreased employee morale, concerns over job seecurity.
Very busy telephone scheduling for outpatient testing
Central Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILNovember 15, 2012
Scheduling single & mutiple testing for patients. Working closely with patients over the phone as well as Dr. offices & hospital departments on a daily basis. Coordination of testing between departments in a timely manner using Meditech scheduling modules. Worked with management to find ways to make scheduling faster & more timely. Worked with departments when needing to close/open their schedules. Mostly worked independently, however there was occasion when other a co-worker needed assistance coordinating patient schdules, or ystem problems. The hardest part was meeting department goals which were average speed answered, the goal was 45 seconds, but calls were backed up more often than not. Working with the staff of Swedish American & getting many tests scheduled made each day enjoyable. Spreading cheer to departments that could be overwhelmed at times made the day go by.
Pros
working closely with departments & co-workers when needed, also working directly with the dr offices to schedule stat testing for patients.
Cons
we only had one 15 minute break, a half-hour for lunch, some days when things were stressful it wasn't enough.
Variety of environments working with pts of all ages
Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMay 22, 2012
I learned how to set up and provide aquatic therapy to pts of all ages. I had the opportunity to work with therapists of other disciplines with a variety of background and experience. The hardest part of this job was working with pediatric families who did not understand how important therapy was for their child and having to educate them on the importance of following through with a home program.
Pros
supportive co-workers, fun environment
Cons
inconsistentcy with peds aqua program, healthcare

2.9