SwedishAmerican Health System Employee Reviews

A great team
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJune 16, 2017
Very professional and upbeat atmosphere. A great team of doctors, radiologists, techs and office personnel. Well coordinated and well received by patients.
Pros
A great team.
Cons
none comes to mind
Terrible department
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMay 25, 2017
Centralized phlebotomy is a joke. You don't get any training in policy and procedure. If you don't suck up to the supervisor, you get targeted by her. Rules for that department get made up when she needs something to justify her actions.

No structure. The whole hospital is very lax on rules that should be strictly enforced. Staff gossip in patient rooms.

I was there for 6 months and just had to get out of there. Centralized phlebotomy was so hostile that you were almost afraid to breathe.
Pros
Night shift pay
Cons
Management, nurses, no orientation for phlebotomy
Horrible Management
PCT (Patient Care Technician) (Former Employee) –  7th FloorOctober 4, 2016
By far the worst policies and mgt. Just let go over attendence but was never given the attendence policy from hire. Never told about it, never given paper about it to sign saying it was given to me and I've read it. I was never given verbal warning or written warning like another person posted that happened to them. Mgr told me it was common sense as to my occurances. One of my occurances happened while i was there and was taken to ER by charge nurse. Er sent me home and told me if I need a note they'd be happy to write me one. I called HR and they told me a note from their own ER won't help my case. If you insist on working for this place make sure you get the attendence policy up front. Make sure it's for your floor. One mgr said it's a straight policy throughout the hospital. Another said it's the particular floor's policy. Nobody can decide what policies to make and how to apply them. Always short staffed and nurses usually have 6-7 patients. There are other hospitals and places to work in Rockford. Pass this one up of you like proper mgt and need somewhat of a work life balance.
Benefits
Cons
Management, policies, work life balance
RN (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 21, 2016
I really liked working at SwedishAmerican Health System. I had great Co-Workers and Management.

We had an open door policy where you could talk about anything with Upper Management. They were always open to new ideas and suggestions.
Great Place to Work
QUALITY RESOURCE RN (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILJune 13, 2016
Quality is the focus at SwedishAmerican. Quality and excellence in patient care. They care about Employee success and career advancement.
Job title Roomer
lpn nurse (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 4, 2016
Hands down the most boring job ever. If you dont want a challenge, this is the place for you. Pay was around 18-19 an hour. The Dr was so moody. The other staff members are great. The managment was rarely present. They under utilize LPNs. Rooming patients is not for any nurse with experience, not to mention as an lpn you will not be promoted.
Pros
Free lunch most days
Cons
Pay, respect.
A good local healthcare system to work for
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILNovember 11, 2015
The work conditions and the employees at SwedishAmerican were always top-notch. There were always opportunities within the health system to improve on your necessary skills. Salary was very competitive for the area.
Pros
Wonderful Christmas luncheons for employees!
Poor management
Clinic nurse (Former Employee) –  Rockford ILJuly 19, 2015
The job and provider I worked for was good which is only reason I stayed as long as I did. Very poor management. Direct supervisor clueless to requirements to perform my clinical job. Management would have non clinical staff perform clinical jobs which made it a unsafe work environment. Very hectic work environment do to under staffing and not having qualified staff to perform jobs. I have been a nurse for over 20 years and this was the worst work environment I have ever had. Very happy at new employer.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Love my boss. Great place to work
Clinical Triage Nurse (Current Employee) –  Rockford, IllinoisApril 29, 2014
I triage incoming calls from our various providers patients including IM, Peds, OB, Family practice as well as the general population. These calls could include but are not limited to triaging symptoms, emergency situations, basic and general information and prescription refills. I love the variety and exposure to all areas. I do miss direct patient care however.
Pros
working some hours from home, coworkers
Cons
miss the direct patient care
Extremely stressful without management support.
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMarch 1, 2014
It is difficult to say anything positive about the position of Medical Receptionist. Though it certainly didn't take a rocket scientist to perform the tasks, the stresses to achieve the levels of job expectations with patients were insurmountable. Some examples are face to face interactions with patients, ringing phones and internal requirements expected to be managed all simultaneously. Adequate resources were never provided including management support.
Pros
Some very kind patients and co-workers.
Cons
A few unkind taunting co-workers with lack of policy implementation, difficulty taking desired time off, no regularly scheduled health breaks.
Not a great company to work for.
N/A (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILFebruary 18, 2014
Management wasn't the best. They do not go by the verbal warning, written, and letting you go. I did something that was related to my health and they let me go without any warning. still regret not fighting for my rights. Things happen for a reason, and I am sooo happy where I am at now. Thanks Swedish American Hospital for opening my eyes.
Pros
nothing great, just the benefits.
Cons
not flexible or family oriented.
Great system
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMarch 22, 2013
Worked on a heart failure study. Facilitated testing of participants, recorded information, kept participants files, schedule testing, Facilitated the modules.
Good Place to Work
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Human ResourcesDecember 9, 2012
SwedishAmerican Health System is a very good place to work. I've had the opportunity to advance and have been fortunate to work with some excellent people from leadership to staff level employees. I would highly recommend SwedishAmerican to anyone looking for a career in healthcare.
Pros
employee and family oriented company
Cons
much competition among director level staff, the culture of sah has changed with the uncertainty of healthcare reform, decreased employee morale, concerns over job seecurity.
Very busy telephone scheduling for outpatient testing
Central Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILNovember 15, 2012
Scheduling single & mutiple testing for patients. Working closely with patients over the phone as well as Dr. offices & hospital departments on a daily basis. Coordination of testing between departments in a timely manner using Meditech scheduling modules. Worked with management to find ways to make scheduling faster & more timely. Worked with departments when needing to close/open their schedules. Mostly worked independently, however there was occasion when other a co-worker needed assistance coordinating patient schdules, or ystem problems. The hardest part was meeting department goals which were average speed answered, the goal was 45 seconds, but calls were backed up more often than not. Working with the staff of Swedish American & getting many tests scheduled made each day enjoyable. Spreading cheer to departments that could be overwhelmed at times made the day go by.
Pros
working closely with departments & co-workers when needed, also working directly with the dr offices to schedule stat testing for patients.
Cons
we only had one 15 minute break, a half-hour for lunch, some days when things were stressful it wasn't enough.
Variety of environments working with pts of all ages
Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMay 22, 2012
I learned how to set up and provide aquatic therapy to pts of all ages. I had the opportunity to work with therapists of other disciplines with a variety of background and experience. The hardest part of this job was working with pediatric families who did not understand how important therapy was for their child and having to educate them on the importance of following through with a home program.
Pros
supportive co-workers, fun environment
Cons
inconsistentcy with peds aqua program, healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SwedishAmerican Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8