Sweetser

Sweetser Employer Reviews

Good people, solid mission, excellent supervisor
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Saco, MEJuly 16, 2014
I have worked in many places. Sweetser has a strong commitment to its mission and to the well-being of its staff. I feel appreciated and supported in my work.
Working at Sweetser
Administrative Support Supervisor (Former Employee), SacoMay 27, 2014
Pros: time off needed was always approved
Cons: not a great deal of room for advancement, locations all over the state and it's impossible to be in 2 places at once
Sweetser is a great place to work! I was employed in the HIM department as a supervisor of client records, intake specialist, and admin support staff. Working all over various locations there was definitely no typical day for me. I traveled from Saco to Bangor and several locations in between. All locations I supervised were set up differently and according – more... to the needs of the community.
I really enjoyed the fact that I was trusted to do my job and was never having the burden of my supervisor breathing down my back and always asking what I was doing.
The hardest part of my job was being so far away from my kids if something were to happen or if I got a call that they were sick and needed to be picked up. It was stressful. On the flip side if I had stay home and work due to sick kids I was able to do that with no questions. Management is very easy to get along with and there are no issues as far as I am concerned. – less
Third Shift
Youth and Family Counselor (Former Employee), Saco, MEMay 15, 2014
It was pretty easy, the kids are all really sweet. The hours sucked but I was relief so I wasn't always guaranteed hours.
Top heavy organization
Residential (Former Employee), MaineMay 8, 2014
Pros: helping kids
Cons: arrogant managers
Direct support people are fresh meat. They restructure often and lay people off. Human Resources lies.
Sweetser's cause and intentions are good and honorable
Youth and Family (Former Employee), Saco, MEDecember 28, 2013
I value working with the population within Sweetser and that I was able to be a value to the people; both children and adults.
WAS a good company but now it's all about friends and family
YFC (Former Employee), Saco, MEApril 17, 2013
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: no chance for advancement, raises few and far between again doesn't matter how well you do your job.
If you know someone or are related to someone at Sweetser this will be an easy place to get into and a great place for advancement. Most of your co-workers are great people. Management is no help in a crisis. It doesn't matter how good you are at your job you won't advance if you don't have a friend or you are the only one to apply for the position. – more... Sweetser often hires people that are not qualified for the position they are hired for. – less
family politics with no opportunity for advancement
Ed Tech (Former Employee), Saco, MEJanuary 2, 2013
Pros: great hours, holidays off, job security
Cons: family politics, terrible management, little support
Little to no support from management. Family run business with plenty of advancement opportunities IF you are related in one way or another to management/leadership. If you are looking for career advancement this is not the place for you. Job security is great as there is not much that will get you fired- many have actively tried to no avail.
Rural Areas Are Tough for Sweetser to Provide Full-Spectrum Services
Children's Case Manager (Former Employee), Wilton, MESeptember 17, 2012
Pros: independent working environment, make your own schedule
Cons: affordable health care, gross company politics
Unfortunately, Sweetser does best at its home base in Saco, and other big city hub, Brunswick. They offered little to no support on marketing our county, and refused to allow employees to market areas that were considered out of reach by typical consumers. Because of this, they are no longer going to service the area, as there were limited referrals – more... being made; Sweetser was competing with other organizations in the area.

Had Sweetser had a reliable psychiatrist, therapist and in-home support services available, they would have been able to keep their office doors open in this community. – less
Youth and familys councler
Youth and Families Counselor (Former Employee), Saco, MEMarch 30, 2012
helping kids learn how to handle to real world. Helping state funded kids to learn how to live on there own.