Sweetser Employee Reviews

Good job but watch your back
Youth and Family Counselor (Former Employee) –  Saco, MENovember 10, 2016
Seems like everyone here just likes snitching on people rather than talking to them face to face...

Also management doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I got in trouble for some things like calling a kid fat and leaving a couple of kids a lone in a room by themselves but didn't get written up, then I got in trouble for calling everyone asking them for OT and falling asleep on a couch, then my manager wrote me up for everything I wrong working there even though she already talked to me about calling a kid fat and leaving two kids alone which I never did again... it just doesn't make sense to me...
Pros
Lot's of food for you to eat, get paid to take kids to the movies/beach etc...
Cons
YFC's have to work doubles on weekends... couches are too comfortable and you may dooze off on them.
All in all a good place to work.
Youth and Family Counselor (Current Employee) –  Belfast, MEOctober 16, 2016
Love this job excellent place to work. Many pertinent and informative trainings were offered that afforded me to learn many new skills in providing the very best care I possibly could. love the population served. Wish that the company was more concerned with employees well-being and self-care practices,
You can make a different in a child's life - if you had the staff that had consistency
YFC - (Current Employee) –  Belfast, MEAugust 22, 2016
Once a again, Sweetser is a great place to work if you want to make a different in children who need it.
Once again this can not happen if you don't have staff that can't work as a team or show consistency.
These children need structure and consistency in their life's.
fast paced, detail focused
Substance Abuse Counselor, ACT team (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, MENovember 24, 2016
On the road nearly constantly. Intense pace. Developed skills for details, listening, and MI, CBT. Office staff is helpful, good clinical supervision.
Pros
Work with people with varied diagnoses to expand MH knowledge
Cons
intense, wear on vehicle
Great job for students
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Saco, MEOctober 16, 2016
I have worked overnights at Sweetser for the better part of a year. Outside of my regular duties there is a significant amount of downtime. I took advantage of this and used it to further say my education.
Pros
Four day work week.
Cons
Finding a regular sleep schedule.
Worst place ever worked. Great for awhile then wentbcompletly down hill
LPN /Med nurse/Medical intake nurse (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, MENovember 17, 2016
Staffing a great issue. Mandate everyday
No communication between management and staff. Safety an issue. Asked to do things not in your scope of practice
Pros
Cons
All things
the kids need you, company doesn't care about them or you
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEAugust 11, 2016
Sweetser will hurt people at the expense of its consumers. Example: Some former staff are barred from the grounds in perpetuity even if they still work in the field and their duties require them to attend meetings there. This therefore means that a child's entire provider team cannot be part of treatment. If asked to be reasonable, they will threaten you with legal action. This is flagrant disregard for ethical principles and best practice standards, to serve a personal vendetta. That is just one story, there are many.
The direct care staff offset the actions of the administration with their tireless dedication, for which they receive little thanks, and the real power in the company hides behind the actions of its direct care staff, which are heroic on a daily basis. So, they exploit staff and consumers alike.
Good staff don't last, poor staff get promoted.
Pros
The Kids! they need people to work with them!
Cons
only the inner circle matters there..nepotism and politics are rampant
Horrible Place To Work (My Poor Co-Worker)
Various Departments (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEJune 6, 2016
People are treated very poorly at Sweetser. I worked at Sweetser for quite a few years and noticed this change.

I am writing this due to one of my co-workers being treated unfairly.

These are her words.

You just get looked down upon with no support from higher management when you are being treated unfairly. Your co-workers are sweet at first and then you notice they are miserable with their lives because they are not happy with their job. Its hard to focus when you have no support and are looked down upon from others. You can hear them talking about you behind your back. You can't even move to another department because your supervisor will not approve it if they do not like you.

Once you leave and they don't like you they will not bother to higher you back. "

My poor dear friend should have never had this experience. What a shame.
Pros
Very Nice Place to work for over 10 years
Cons
Poor treatment of employees that are not white
Terrible place to work
Various clinical positions (Former Employee) –  Maine, MEMarch 24, 2016
This is a company that does not take the safety of its employee's seriously.
Although Sweeter is a non-profit organization there is a heavy focus on "billable hours". This is not for the care of the client, but for the benefit of the company.
The pay in way below average in comparison to other companies.
The management is terrible. They do not care about the safety/welfare or mental well being of their employees.
Please, do not work here!
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No breaks given, lack of care about the clients, no coordination/organization, bad leadership
Great place to work with children and families of Maine.
Residential Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hampden, MEJanuary 17, 2016
A day at Sweetser was never the same and it provided daily opportunities to make a difference in life of children and their families. The hardest part of my job was finding a balance between work, life, and school.
Pros
Opportunity for growth, teamwork.
Cons
Balance between work, life, and school.
Child Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEFebruary 4, 2016
Everyone treats you well and works well together. Very friendly. Pay and hours are decent. Since I worked in the field they provided me with a laptop and phone which was appreciated.
Pros
coworkers and management
Cons
no major cons
The worst work experience I ever endured
Case Manager/Community Integration Worker (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEJune 19, 2015
Here is a quick summary of this poorly operated company:
Unrealistic expectations of staffs workload
Punitive and shaming treatment of staff
Unqualified management (only get the job because of who they know)
Questionable ethics?
Poor clinical decisions
Lack of consistent communication regarding changes in policies and procedures

I have NOTHING positive to say about this company. If you value your own mental health, you will not work there.
Pros
benefits were ok
Cons
see above description
Unstable place of employment
Behavioral Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Sanford, MEJune 16, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed the work I did while with the clients, but as far as the administration aspect of the organization, there was little left to be desired. There is no room for growth and the organization places a greater emphasis on the monetary aspect, rather than quality of care for their clients.
Milieu management, fast paced,assisting LSCW
YOUTH AND FAMILY CRISIS COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEMarch 10, 2015
My typical day at work involved overnight follow-up, assisting youths in daily routines, working with 3-4 other staff, aiding youth with communication problems, computer work, organizing activities, and coordinating staff with clients, caregivers, and clinicians. I learned communication skills, teamwork, office work, and patience. The management was inconsistent. My co-workers were smart and helpful. The hardest part of the job was the tolerance of management towards the mistreatment of the clients. The most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference in the lives of families for the better.
Pros
Working with children and families, free meals
Cons
Inconsistencies within the agency
Productive work place and great clients and providers
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MESeptember 2, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of me checking the providers schedules. I would answer phones and check clients in and out for appointments and schedule their next appointment.
I learned more about team work and how to handle clients that were upset. I learned more about organization and how to work with the clients schedule. I also learned about handling highly stressful situations.
My co-workers and I had to work very close with one another and keep the communication going.
The hardest part of my job was when a client would come in 5 minuets late or more and they would have to reschedule because the provider would not see them. The clients would be very upset with this situation. Even though this could be very stressful I was almost always able to handle the situation on my own. If not this was when working as a team would come in.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the clients come in daily and working as a team with my co-workers. We had some good times.
Pros
Good times
Cons
Stressful at times
family politics with no opportunity for advancement
Ed Tech (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEJanuary 2, 2013
Little to no support from management. Family run business with plenty of advancement opportunities IF you are related in one way or another to management/leadership. If you are looking for career advancement this is not the place for you. Job security is great as there is not much that will get you fired- many have actively tried to no avail.
Pros
great hours, holidays off, job security
Cons
family politics, terrible management, little support
WAS a good company but now it's all about friends and family
YFC (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEApril 17, 2013
If you know someone or are related to someone at Sweetser this will be an easy place to get into and a great place for advancement. Most of your co-workers are great people. Management is no help in a crisis. It doesn't matter how good you are at your job you won't advance if you don't have a friend or you are the only one to apply for the position. Sweetser often hires people that are not qualified for the position they are hired for.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
no chance for advancement, raises few and far between again doesn't matter how well you do your job.
Rural Areas Are Tough for Sweetser to Provide Full-Spectrum Services
Children's Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilton, MESeptember 17, 2012
Unfortunately, Sweetser does best at its home base in Saco, and other big city hub, Brunswick. They offered little to no support on marketing our county, and refused to allow employees to market areas that were considered out of reach by typical consumers. Because of this, they are no longer going to service the area, as there were limited referrals being made; Sweetser was competing with other organizations in the area.

Had Sweetser had a reliable psychiatrist, therapist and in-home support services available, they would have been able to keep their office doors open in this community.
Pros
independent working environment, make your own schedule
Cons
affordable health care, gross company politics
Good Place to work, Room for advancement
Youth and Family Counselor (Current Employee) –  Saco, MEMarch 25, 2015
Good place to work if your looking to be in the Social services field.
Room for advancement. High turnover though. Pay scale is on the lower side. Benefit packages are awful, and very expensive.
Pros
Room for internal andvancement
Cons
Pay is low, benefits are expensive
A good opportunity to learn about yourself and others
Youth & Family Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEAugust 5, 2012
This was a great job that allowed me to learn about myself as a person as well as how I related to others in terms of working with them.
Pros
fun staff, fun kids
Cons
no breaks, worked holidays

2.7