Sweetser Employee Reviews

Child Case Manager
Child Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, MESeptember 21, 2017
Sweetser provides good services to families in need. Advocating for children and their families while dealing with mental health crises and/or cognitive and behavioral conditions.
Every day is something new
Youth and Family Counselor (Former Employee) –  Saco, MESeptember 8, 2017
I was working with teen-agers, for the most part, and it was difficult for me. My background is not in special education so it was a major adjustment stepping into that world.

In the long run, I think that the job taught me patience but I also feel like the management didn't really have your back and I burned out.
Residential Life
Residential Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Belfast, MEAugust 22, 2017
Residential culture can be difficult, with challenges and rewards. Sweetser allows staff to push themselves, while building attachments with children.
Pros
Staff support, fun, active, challenging, rewarding
Cons
tiring, challenging, long hours, injuries
Good people
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Saco, MEAugust 8, 2017
I've had good experiences with the people who work here at every level. Benefits and salary are OK. The work we do here is important and has a positive impact on the lives of client and on the broader community.
Great place to work with great people!
Mobile Crisis Worker (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, MEJuly 28, 2017
The pay may not be great, but the people are, and that makes this place a cool place to work. There is a very integrated team approach to services. Communication is very good. Supervision is excellent!
I did not work there
intern (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MEMay 17, 2017
I was only an intern. I have no idea what it is like to actually work there. i imagine it would be fine but reallyI don't know. I am just filling up space so I can get past this irrelevant survey.
Enjoyed my time at Sweetser
Residential Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEMarch 31, 2017
I worked with Sweetser for almost 16 years and felt very supported during my employment. I was one of the most rewarding times in my life and would recommend Sweetser to anyone.
Challenging work space
Intake Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEMarch 6, 2017
I enjoyed my fellow employees and I appreciated all the knowledge I gained from my time with this company. I would have liked there to been a little more room for advancement.
Great job at first...
Youth and Family Counselor (Current Employee) –  Saco, MEJanuary 31, 2017
I loved working with clients but the staff and management was a different story. The staff did not pay attention to the children. They sat around in the office doing homework and chatting. Some managers are inexpierenced and don't know how to do their job. Rumors went around like crazy and staff and managers sleep together.
Pros
Great clients
Cons
Staff and management
I like helping people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEJanuary 12, 2017
This job was different I did the intakes for children and adults and the would pass them on the a counselor of there needs. Allot of data entry - customer service - life skill. Hard times for some people.
Pros
Excellent to help people in there needs
fast paced, detail focused
Substance Abuse Counselor, ACT team (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, MENovember 24, 2016
On the road nearly constantly. Intense pace. Developed skills for details, listening, and MI, CBT. Office staff is helpful, good clinical supervision.
Pros
Work with people with varied diagnoses to expand MH knowledge
Cons
intense, wear on vehicle
Worst place ever worked. Great for awhile then wentbcompletly down hill
LPN /Med nurse/Medical intake nurse (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, MENovember 17, 2016
Staffing a great issue. Mandate everyday
No communication between management and staff. Safety an issue. Asked to do things not in your scope of practice
Pros
Cons
All things
Good job but watch your back
Youth and Family Counselor (Former Employee) –  Saco, MENovember 10, 2016
Seems like everyone here just likes snitching on people rather than talking to them face to face...

Also management doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I got in trouble for some things like calling a kid fat and leaving a couple of kids a lone in a room by themselves but didn't get written up, then I got in trouble for calling everyone asking them for OT and falling asleep on a couch, then my manager wrote me up for everything I wrong working there even though she already talked to me about calling a kid fat and leaving two kids alone which I never did again... it just doesn't make sense to me...
Pros
Lot's of food for you to eat, get paid to take kids to the movies/beach etc...
Cons
YFC's have to work doubles on weekends... couches are too comfortable and you may dooze off on them.
Great job for students
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Saco, MEOctober 16, 2016
I have worked overnights at Sweetser for the better part of a year. Outside of my regular duties there is a significant amount of downtime. I took advantage of this and used it to further say my education.
Pros
Four day work week.
Cons
Finding a regular sleep schedule.
All in all a good place to work.
Youth and Family Counselor (Current Employee) –  Belfast, MEOctober 16, 2016
Love this job excellent place to work. Many pertinent and informative trainings were offered that afforded me to learn many new skills in providing the very best care I possibly could. love the population served. Wish that the company was more concerned with employees well-being and self-care practices,
You can make a different in a child's life - if you had the staff that had consistency
YFC - (Current Employee) –  Belfast, MEAugust 22, 2016
Once a again, Sweetser is a great place to work if you want to make a different in children who need it.
Once again this can not happen if you don't have staff that can't work as a team or show consistency.
These children need structure and consistency in their life's.
the kids need you, company doesn't care about them or you
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEAugust 11, 2016
Sweetser will hurt people at the expense of its consumers. Example: Some former staff are barred from the grounds in perpetuity even if they still work in the field and their duties require them to attend meetings there. This therefore means that a child's entire provider team cannot be part of treatment. If asked to be reasonable, they will threaten you with legal action. This is flagrant disregard for ethical principles and best practice standards, to serve a personal vendetta. That is just one story, there are many.
The direct care staff offset the actions of the administration with their tireless dedication, for which they receive little thanks, and the real power in the company hides behind the actions of its direct care staff, which are heroic on a daily basis. So, they exploit staff and consumers alike.
Good staff don't last, poor staff get promoted.
Pros
The Kids! they need people to work with them!
Cons
only the inner circle matters there..nepotism and politics are rampant
Horrible Place To Work (My Poor Co-Worker)
Various Departments (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEJune 6, 2016
People are treated very poorly at Sweetser. I worked at Sweetser for quite a few years and noticed this change.

I am writing this due to one of my co-workers being treated unfairly.

These are her words.

You just get looked down upon with no support from higher management when you are being treated unfairly. Your co-workers are sweet at first and then you notice they are miserable with their lives because they are not happy with their job. Its hard to focus when you have no support and are looked down upon from others. You can hear them talking about you behind your back. You can't even move to another department because your supervisor will not approve it if they do not like you.

Once you leave and they don't like you they will not bother to higher you back. "

My poor dear friend should have never had this experience. What a shame.
Pros
Very Nice Place to work for over 10 years
Cons
Poor treatment of employees that are not white
Terrible place to work
Various clinical positions (Former Employee) –  Maine, MEMarch 24, 2016
This is a company that does not take the safety of its employee's seriously.
Although Sweeter is a non-profit organization there is a heavy focus on "billable hours". This is not for the care of the client, but for the benefit of the company.
The pay in way below average in comparison to other companies.
The management is terrible. They do not care about the safety/welfare or mental well being of their employees.
Please, do not work here!
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No breaks given, lack of care about the clients, no coordination/organization, bad leadership
Child Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEFebruary 4, 2016
Everyone treats you well and works well together. Very friendly. Pay and hours are decent. Since I worked in the field they provided me with a laptop and phone which was appreciated.
Pros
coworkers and management
Cons
no major cons